Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No pics required and it is noted that you have posted your suspicion about these events taking place, going back to page 1 of this thread.

I suggest that if you are a non-believer, instead of taking silly pot-shots on this thread, take yourself down to Patters and just sit on beach road anywhere between soi 6 and soi 13/3. You shouldn't have to wait long until you are a believer.

Just because YOU have not been scammed in the past does not mean it doesn't happen -and- that you won't be a victim in the future.

i normally go to the beach around soi 7 & 8, admittedly not too often,maybe 1-2 times a month but have never witnessed anything, actually made a point of looking out last time and only saw afew happy customers/ rentors :huh:

Anyway, i might make the effort and go down few times next week as i want to see how it works... any particular spot, preferably with toilets nearby as i normally drink loads whilst at the beach :jap:

I stay on Soi 13/1. It happens a lot between there and the beach in front of Royal Garden Plaza.

It's terrible that people are having to run for their lives. The guy I saw getting beaten up in / outside the minimart was in a sad state. I didn't offer any help as it isn't my business to, there were quite a few thugs. I had two small children with me also. Would I have stepped if the kids weren't with me? Not a chance.

The thugs were back on the beach later, offereing jet ski's for rent.

I have rented jet ski's before, for my brother in law and myself and never had a problem, but never, ever , again. Next thing the groups on the banana boats will start getting it for damage to the inflatable.

By the way, I sent messages to the TOT but guess what, no reply. I have also had a letter posted in Pattaya Mail. Sounds like its time for another one.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted message and emoticon removed

The 4 people from yesterday that were assaulted just for defending themselves would have had there holiday ruined and these thugs always ask the persons hotel name before renting the jet ski and it is a well known fact they will come terrorizing at hotels like in the case where 5 were arrested.

We only see a small part of what really goes on and l hope these people are ok because there are many reports where hotel staff are to scared to call the police .

There would be no name calling IF posters who never witnessed the shameful and blatant CRIMINAL ACTS being perpetrated against unknowing tourists would stop attacking the posters who have witnessed this crime every day.

Thais should be ashamed of these thugs in the LOS.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

You and your side kick "saintofwhatever" need to get a life....... it sounds like you have made this jet ski deal your life's crusade? Please please tell me you have something better to do with your time, if not then that's very very sad!

JH

Name calling post should be removed.

I witness the scam yesterday afternoon across from the Royal Garden Mall.

I also see quite a few of the beach scammers are getting drunk on whiskey.

Nice family resort.

Not another one, OMG....... that's shocking.

JH

Your avatar is interested. It implies that you are aware of both crime and punishment. But you do not seem to understand that robbery and assault are crimes that should be followed by punishment. These crimes are serious. They are happening each day. And they are hurting tourism and giving the city a bad name. Most of us think that it is better to expose them than to "yawn" and minimize them with sarcasm.

Nice family resort.

JH

When you see young men less than 20 years old threatened by these thugs and taken to ATMs and forced to withdraw money or be injured .

Or young Chinese girls crying their eyes out in fear in the presence of these thugs and so called tourist police and forced to pay money because these guys have shown photo's where witnesses have seen as sd cards removed while the tourist is out on the water.

When you see weapons like steel umbrella pegs being used daily to extort people and nothing is done by authorities maybe you will understand why people like myself and others are concerned and want to see ended.

If you think this topic is boring Jebhead please don't comment.

Edited by saintofsilence

Nice family resort.

JH

When you see young men less than 20 years old threatened by these thugs and taken to ATMs and forced to withdraw money or be injured .

Or young Chinese girls crying their eyes out in fear in the presence of these thugs and so called tourist police and forced to pay money because these guys have shown photo's where witnesses have seen as sd cards removed while the tourist is out on the water.

When you see weapons like steel umbrella pegs being used daily to extort people and nothing is done by authorities maybe you will understand why people like myself and others are concerned and want to see ended.

If you think this topic is boring Jebhead please don't comment.

+1

looks like J.H is looking for a break from T.V forum....it's all so boring for him, please grant his wish MODS :jap:

Rimmer jethead is. begging for attention from you...show him what a TIME OUT is like.

Thanks to all the caring TV posters.

We will make a dif one day!!!

It is a shame that we get yawns and sarcasm for being the TRUTH MESSENGERS from fellow farang.

I know we all mean well who keep this thread alive with honest updates of crimes with zero arrests or penalties.

Such a shame we are mocked for our caring.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

According to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, City Hall does not know who these operators are.

They are unliscensed and most refused to do the mandatory registration.

The Mayor vowed to keep and eye on them. He warned them "their cards are marked."

Funny thing is, everytime the police show up they side with these criminals.

According to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, City Hall does not know who these operators are.

The Mayor vowed to keep and eye on them. He warned them "their cards are marked."

they are at the police station everyday, can he not call them or go visit or ask to see the records of the payments? amazing thailand

they are at the police station everyday, can he not call them or go visit or ask to see the records of the payments? amazing thailand

Daft idea.........he's a busy man, haven't you seen all the photo's he has to pose for in local papers, posters etc?? No time for this sort of trivia.

I suppose I am being naive in thinking that airlines who fly to Thailand could agree to issue warning stickers of some sort to passengers about the "activities" of these thugs. :unsure:

The info would make a good article for one of the airline magazines, but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

I am wondering why there are not more videos of the "system" in action. should be easy enough to get some good video if the scam happening. what with all the spy camera gadgets these days ( example the video camera in sun glasses).

It's probably been mentioned before but what if the customer takes pics of the jetski before they even get on it. That was there is surely no chance of any stunts being pulled?

And how can you escape the criminals by showing pictures? They will probably just confiscate your camera....

Edited by balo

It's probably been mentioned before but what if the customer takes pics of the jetski before they even get on it. That was there is surely no chance of any stunts being pulled?

But a lot of the time, it is the customers camera that is being used.

They take your photo with it, then hang on to it for safe keeping, but remove the card, photoshop it and return back to the camera.

But a lot of the time, it is the customers camera that is being used.

They take your photo with it, then hang on to it for safe keeping, but remove the card, photoshop it and return back to the camera.

That is not right the scammers use their own cameras I have seen tourist grabbed by the throat and pushed away for using their own cameras.

If the authorities were serious they could take all the scammers cameras and check for manipulated images.

If you thought you had a need to photograph the Jet Ski you would not rent one in the first place.

The main point of this continuing thread is ,IMO, to Warn newcomers of the scam.

I am not sure they need to photoshop the pics of the jestki. It is very difficult to get the damage on the jetski to be properly captured on the camera. I know this because I have owned a jetski of my own and to be able to sell it I needed to get pics of it and was very frustrated because on all the pictures I took it was almost impossible to get the pics to properly show the scratches and other flaws on my own jetski.

The shiny plastic material of the jetski works quite funny way on camera so that if you take pictures in broad daylight without a flash the jestki looks almost perfect no matter how many scratches and flaws the plastic surface has in real life. On the other hand if the general lighting is dark and you are using a flash, then the picture shows all the millions microscopic scratches and makes the jestki in the picture look much more horrible than it looks in the eye in person.

I have seen them take the pictures of tourists and they generally shoot them about 5 metres away from the jetski making it further more unlikely that the picture captures the damage the skis have. To have any hope to get a picture showing the damage you should shoot the picture from much shorter distance.

I further believe that the pictures that are taken are not ever actually looked at in very great detail. I believe the real nature of the pics is that they work as intimidation. The thugs make it a quite strange high profile show to shoot the pictures in the beginning and that makes the tourists to feel small and feel like the shooters of the pictures are in control. When the tourists return from sea the thugs have proof they can use and the tourists know that they have not. The pictures are probably in many cases shown on a small camera display only and it is 100% impossible that any flaws could be seen on such small display even in that unlikely situation that they would be captured on camera. Somebody would need at least a laptop to study the pictures properly and I have not seen many laptops to be carried on the beach for this purpose. I believe in many cases the thugs just wave the camera around saying that they have proof on their side so the tourists need to pull out some cash right now.