Thaksin's Passport Might Be Returned: Thai Foreign Minister

webfact

The statement Foreign minister says world community aware cases against ex-PM are political must be upsetting for some of you.

That's the reality. Deal with it.

The only reality it is, is the reality of what the foreign minister, who just happens to be related to Thaksin, thinks.

As someone else has already said, what a laudable move it would be, were this man to say, "look, i'm related to Thaksin and this is a sensitive issue, so to avoid any sort of conflict of interests, i will have nothing to do with any decisions related to this matter, and will rather focus my energies on other rmatters". Now wouldn't that be something worth applauding?Certainly a lot more worth applauding than this crap.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The statement Foreign minister says world community aware cases against ex-PM are political must be upsetting for some of you.

The reality is, it has to be political, it can't be anything else, he was an active politician, PM in fact, using his political powers in a political arena for personal gain.

Or would you prefer that the Directors of Vogue accused him of being in possession of a offensive face.

Says the Foreign Minister who is Thaksin's cousin. You'd have to be jaw-droppingly stupid to believe his comments are independent or based on rule of law.

"I am trying to determine if it was right to seize [Thaksin's] passport. A passport is an important official document required when you travel overseas. It is not different from an identification card. Do convicts get their ID cards seized?" Surapong said.

Yes convicts get their ID and passport taken away and are issued a jumpsuit with their new inmate number on it.

Wasn't in his preferred colour, obviously!!! ie: not RED :D.

I'm not surprised it makes such a massive difference to some of your lives if Thaksin travels on a Thai, or any other passport.......

I take it then that you have a policy of only posting when something makes a massive difference to you life.

Nice riposte, I love it.

There is no solution without solving the Thaksin conundrum. Very few would dispute that. Either he has to beaten electorally (his turf) or a deal has to be cut or he wins. A deal would seem the most likely as he looks unbeatable electorally even after a quick gerrymandering of the constituencies and party list system and full use of state power to coerce votes by his opponents and I doubt his opponents would be silly enough to force things to his total victory when even he seems amenable to a deal. And of course the country is going to continue to suffer until the thing is resolved and him doing jail time or stating away while his opponents go scott free and continue to manage Thai democracy is not going to fly as they have also done far too much wrong without any form of sanction and that is now openly seen.

I don't see as quite the conundrum you do. Were there a self-organised group with the sole purpose of bringing Thaksin back free of all charges, whatever it took, that wasn't being funded, led or overseen by Thaksin himself, that would be a conundrum. Were there a group with the sole purpose of bringing Thaksin back and putting him behind bars, whatever it took, that would be a conundrum.

Fact is, neither of these types of groups exist.

If Thaksin simply stays away, ok the anti Thaksin people will grumble about him evading justice, and the pro Thaksin people will grumble about him being unfairly treated, but it is a status quo of sorts that all on both sides can learn to live with. Well, all except for one. All we need do now is find a way of getting Thaksin to accept the sacrifice of him living a quiet life outside of Thailand as being in the best interests of the country. How difficult can that be?

Doesnt want to be "Ruler in Exile" wants to be "lord of all he surveys"

I truly believe that FM is the 1st of the expendables, and when his work is done, he will be the sacrificial scapegoat, thrown to appease the opposition and the masses. And, there are others lined up for the same fate as circumstances require.

Thaksin, ver. 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 went through Cabinet ministers like Brigham Young went through wives.

No reason to presume ver. 4.0 will modify that feature.

Edited by Buchholz

I truly believe that FM is the 1st of the expendables, and when his work is done, he will be the sacrificial scapegoat, thrown to appease the opposition and the masses. And, there are others lined up for the same fate as circumstances require.

Thaksin, ver. 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 went through Cabinet ministers like Brigham Young went through wives.

No reason to presume ver. 4.0 will modify that feature.

Quite true. In his 'reign' any minister or public servant who even slightly attempted to generate some discussion, let alone disagree, was dispensed with very quickly and often with some strong public negative comments.

Another angle of this:

- Nobody dared to speak up, including the most senior members of his cabinet when he railroaded a reversal of foreign ownership laws through parliament very very quickly to facilitate the sale of shin to the Singaporeans. They all knew very well that there was strong official government policy in place against foreign ownership, and especially in the industry concerned.

- When he signed the official documents (on behalf of Thailand) to process the sale of land to his ex wife. The paymasters own lawyers, senior advisers, the minister, the senior bureaucrats involved knew very well that what they were witnessing close up was highly illegal, not one of them dared to speak up.

There is no solution without solving the Thaksin conundrum. Very few would dispute that. Either he has to beaten electorally (his turf) or a deal has to be cut or he wins. A deal would seem the most likely as he looks unbeatable electorally even after a quick gerrymandering of the constituencies and party list system and full use of state power to coerce votes by his opponents and I doubt his opponents would be silly enough to force things to his total victory when even he seems amenable to a deal. And of course the country is going to continue to suffer until the thing is resolved and him doing jail time or stating away while his opponents go scott free and continue to manage Thai democracy is not going to fly as they have also done far too much wrong without any form of sanction and that is now openly seen.

I don't see as quite the conundrum you do. Were there a self-organised group with the sole purpose of bringing Thaksin back free of all charges, whatever it took, that wasn't being funded, led or overseen by Thaksin himself, that would be a conundrum. Were there a group with the sole purpose of bringing Thaksin back and putting him behind bars, whatever it took, that would be a conundrum.

Fact is, neither of these types of groups exist.

If Thaksin simply stays away, ok the anti Thaksin people will grumble about him evading justice, and the pro Thaksin people will grumble about him being unfairly treated, but it is a status quo of sorts that all on both sides can learn to live with. Well, all except for one. All we need do now is find a way of getting Thaksin to accept the sacrifice of him living a quiet life outside of Thailand as being in the best interests of the country. How difficult can that be?

There is another scenario....

"That's why Interpol did not issue a warrant for his arrest. Some countries can tell what is political and what is not," the foreign minister said.

He also defended Thaksin for visiting Cambodia recently, saying that Thaksin's trips to different countries - mostly to give lectures - would eventually benefit Thailand.

Just a few weeks ago it was said that the request for Interpol to be on the look for k. Thaksin was still being translated into English. So much for political motivated.

As for k. Thaksin's trip to foreign countries benefiting Thailand, that's just another small step to position k. Thaksin in a better light. A fugitive criminal who likes business without the need to pay taxes can hardly be 'beneficial' except for himself.

Doesn't the Foreign Minister have more urgent work to do? With all his 'actions' over the past month it seems he only has one item on his agenda 'bring back Thaksin and give him a free pass(port).

Agree. and as mentioned by others, I wonder how long this FM will last. Possibilities:

- He's there purely because of family pressures - when he really screws up and /or really puts his foot in something sensitive (very likely) he'll be moved along, and probably with a fanfare.

- He's there because he's very easy to manipulate and so he'll stay there.

On the other side of the coin, what is his image with other ambassadors?

A different point. The paymasters visit to Japan. Did anybody see any details of how he will 'help' japan? Or just more smoke?

- Care to share some examples which specifically show that other countries know the cases against the paymaster are politically motivated. I don't believe you can!

- Sorry but I tend to dismiss anything that the current FM says, he's going to say whatever will look good for thaksin, regardless of the truth.

begin removed

A different point. The paymasters visit to Japan. Did anybody see any details of how he will 'help' japan? Or just more smoke?

A bit off topic, but related to slowly dusting off and polishing the Thaksin image.

I remember k. Thaksin suggested to ease visa regulation so stressed-out home- and family-less Japanese could have a nice holiday in Thailand to forget all. He may have said Thailand could help in the Nuclear cleanup, maybe just promote Thai labourers to rebuild the country (at a daily wage of somewhat more than 300 Baht).

"I am trying to determine if it was right to seize [Thaksin's] passport. A passport is an important official document required when you travel overseas. It is not different from an identification card. Do convicts get their ID cards seized?" Surapong said.

Me being on the fence regarding things to do with Thaksin I have to say this bloke gives so much ammunition to those who oppose Thaksin he could open a gun club in Somalia.

me thinks a touch of jet lag or sun stroke or just being excited to be at the UN or the Emmy's or bad plane food or or or to come up with a statement like "It is not different from an identification card."

Yes convicts get their ID and passport taken away and are issued a jumpsuit with their new inmate number on it.

But he was soooo rich that be bought himself citizenship of at least one other country, and he lent soooo much money to Dubai that they can't throw him out. Who said money can't buy you happiness :) Anyway I hear the Cambodians do great Thai food.

Edited by MaiChai

I'm not surprised it makes such a massive difference to some of your lives if Thaksin travels on a Thai, or any other passport.......

I can't find any comment where posters have said that it makes a difference to their lives.

Their comments indicate that they are upset by the prospect. Why else would there be such a display of anguish?

Edited by geriatrickid

I can't find any comment where posters have said that it makes a difference to their lives.

Their comments indicate that they are upset by the prospect. Why else would there be such a display of anguish?

A more interesting question is why do you get off on this stuff?

The "real" actual quote is a bit different and probably true...

"Some countries can tell what is political and what is not," the foreign minister said.

with the opposite true as well.... some countries can't tell the difference.

I would, however, like to see which country's leader has specifically stated that the charges against Thaksin are political.

I mean if that is, in fact, "the reality", it should exist, right?

I believe actions, or should I say, inactions demonstrate the point. Mr. Thaksin was traveling the world with no attempt by any country to detain or apprehend him. He entered France, Germany and Switzerland during the period where the former Abhisit government claimed they were seeking his arrest. Mr. Thaksin has been traveling between Dubai, Hong Kong and Brunei in the past six months. Yet, no one in these foreign jurisdictions stopped him. Don't you find it somewhat odd that when the Russians or Americans or Europeans want a person, they usually find that person and get him one way or another? Yet, Mr. Thaksin in the words of the the great American songwriter Bob Nolan, kept tumbling along like a tumbleweed.

"Some countries can tell what is political and what is not," the foreign minister said.

I would, however, like to see which country's leader has specifically stated that the charges against Thaksin are political.

I believe actions, or should I say, inactions demonstrate the point.

So then, that's a no to Surapong's real statement in that there hasn't been any country's leader who has specifically stated that the charges against Thaksin are political.

Gee, you'd think if it was reality, there would be at least one out the 200+ countries in the world that would have done so.

Next.

I believe actions, or should I say, inactions demonstrate the point. Mr. Thaksin was traveling the world with no attempt by any country to detain or apprehend him. He entered France, Germany and Switzerland during the period where the former Abhisit government claimed they were seeking his arrest. Mr. Thaksin has been traveling between Dubai, Hong Kong and Brunei in the past six months. Yet, no one in these foreign jurisdictions stopped him. Don't you find it somewhat odd that when the Russians or Americans or Europeans want a person, they usually find that person and get him one way or another? Yet, Mr. Thaksin in the words of the the great American songwriter Bob Nolan, kept tumbling along like a tumbleweed.

Well, since the Thai government had informed Interpol they'd like k. Thaksin to be put on a watchlist, they still needed to put all documentation in proper form and English. In progress I heard, although maybe by now now longer in progress.

This means that k. Thaksin could enter many countries even if some expressly told him to refrain from publicly speaking on his or Thai politics. Most likely one of the main reasons k. Thaksin voluntarily withdrew his asylum request in the UK, resulting in his asylum related visa being withdrawn as well.

To suggest that some countries get their man one way or another suggest you refer to maybe illegal or covert operations. Way to go, remember how they got Trotsky?

So then, that's a no to Surapong's real statement in that there hasn't been any country's leader who has specifically stated that the charges against Thaksin are political.

Gee, you'd think if it was reality, there would be at least one out the 200+ countries in the world that would have done so.

Next.

Now, don't be hasty, young master Buchholz. You may want to check on some quotes of a dear friend, who even called k. Thaksin 'eternal friend', our dear PM Hun Sen of Cambodia, that pillar of democracy ;)

Conveniently (and predictably), you overlook the fact that the UK and Germany wouldn't allow him entry (although those dodgy passports may have come in handy), and several other countries including UAE publicly warned him against using their soil for political activities. It would also seem that you are either ignorant of or choose to ignore the Thai Wikileaks cables. I'm sure Google will lead you too them. Some very interesting commentary on Mr T's motivations, behaviour and apparent lack of self-control concerning certain issues are to be found therein.

Who says their comments indicate that? Only you seem to think so on here - could be your perception is warped geriatrick. Or else.......you could just be trolling again.:ph34r: :jap:

Conveniently (and predictably), you overlook the fact that the UK and Germany wouldn't allow him entry (although those dodgy passports may have come in handy), and several other countries including UAE publicly warned him against using their soil for political activities. It would also seem that you are either ignorant of or choose to ignore the Thai Wikileaks cables. I'm sure Google will lead you too them. Some very interesting commentary on Mr T's motivations, behaviour and apparent lack of self-control concerning certain issues are to be found therein.

I remember when he wanted to go to the USA to register a complaint over the treatment of red shirts in their terrorism last year and was told NOT to enter the US by their Government. Truth is - the world doesnt condone Shinawatra - they just couldnt be bothered with a tin pot dictator with nowhere to go..

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday he was considering returning the Thai passport of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

*sigh*

A cousin's work is never done.

Mr. This Government Isn't About One Person puts another task objective for himself to help the same one person after jumping in to request a Japanese visa for his relative.

The whitewash continues.