Wont Be Many Brits Left Here Soon 47 Baht To Sterling Oh Dear

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you may find it suits TOT.

The rate will deter (or even force back to the UK) the 'old guys'.

If they want to come to Thailand, tourists will come to Thailand irrespective of the exchange rate.

'Mongers will stay whatever the rate. They'll just have to cut back on 'hello kitty' accessories. Where else they gonna go? Philippines?

Its been about 47baht give or take a few baht for a long long time ..!

Never really been 47 for the last 2 years.. 48 on average... I myself lose 2000 baht everypoint it drops but im still ok... Just cutdown on the pizzas and eat nam phrik more :whistling:

Its been about 47baht give or take a few baht for a long long time ..!

Never really been 47 for the last 2 years.. 48 on average...

On average 48 for the past 2 years that means it has even been lower than 47?

Oh and by the way,looking at the forex exchange tonight it will be below 47 tomorrow.

Edited by janverbeem

I'm more distressed at going below US$1.60.

Unlike the US, I don't think that we are deliberately devaluing our currency with the sole intent of distressing the Chinese.

A futile ploy, in any case, as in my opinion the Chinese can take far more suffering than Americans, or you or I, or anyone, other than perhaps Russians and Jews, could imagine.

Anyway, swings and roundabouts, snakes and ladders

SC

Less Brits?

That could only be a greater advantage and benefit to the Thai society, yes?

They would probably think so.

But, then again, left to them (generally speaking) the wheel would still be square.

It would best to be humble, my friend.

As Euro-Western influence and contributions to the world [and world history] are extremely nominal. In reality.

45 two years ago, can anyone see the light if any ) at the end of the tunnel ? not much better here in uk, a can of corned beef is on average £160, it was half that price 2 years ago, gas has doubled, electric has doubled , most food has doubled. scary days indeed blink.gif

Less Brits?

But, then again, left to them (generally speaking) the wheel would still be square.

As Euro-Western influence and contributions to the world [and world history] are extremely nominal. In reality.

You are joking, right? For better or worse, the world is european. Although the Chinese, and Indians may have developed many features of the modern world thousands of years before they reached Europe, it was the dynamic and progressive European culture that unleashed 'development' on the world, and like cancer, development is very difficult to cure.

SC

45 two years ago, can anyone see the light if any ) at the end of the tunnel ? not much better here in uk, a can of corned beef is on average £160, it was half that price 2 years ago, gas has doubled, electric has doubled , most food has doubled. scary days indeed blink.gif

£160 for a can of corned beef??? Mildred !! Hand me the noose !!! :whistling:

Less Brits?

You are joking, right? For better or worse, the world is european. Although the Chinese, and Indians may have developed many features of the modern world thousands of years before they reached Europe, it was the dynamic and progressive European culture that unleashed 'development' on the world, and like cancer, development is very difficult to cure.

SC

He is joking, and he's trying to be annoying too, and to be fair he's good at it.

I havnt quite finished my 160 GBP tin of Corned Beef.I opened it in 2009.:D

I havnt quite finished my 160 GBP tin of Corned Beef.I opened it in 2009.:D

:D

May I introduce you to the new commodity on the block, a good old tin of :spam1:. You can do a lot with :spam1: you know, but at over £300 a tin, you need to make sure your :spam1: lasts.

SC

He is joking, and he's trying to be annoying too, and to be fair he's good at it.

You are too kind

SC

Britain isnt getting any cheaper its just a case of cutting your cloth accordingly wherever one lives.

Cant see interest rates going up for a long time, and the deficit is growing hardly the right environment for a rise in sterling.

Edit Maybe if the Euro breaks up Sterling maybe seen as somewhere save to put ones money, its got to be a better bet then all of southern/east and most of central Europe.

Edited by houseinbkk

Britain isnt getting any cheaper its just a case of cutting your cloth accordingly wherever one lives.

Cant see interest rates going up for a long time, and the deficit is growing hardly the right environment for a rise in sterling.

Edit Maybe if the Euro breaks up Sterling maybe seen as somewhere save to put ones money, its got to be a better bet then all of southern/east and most of central Europe.

We can only hope for the break up of this Mickey Mouse currency, hopefully the return of the mighty DM, then I can move my money out of the Brit Peso.

We can only hope for the break up of this Mickey Mouse currency, hopefully the return of the mighty DM, then I can move my money out of the Brit Peso.

Well it's like the lemmings at the back cheering as the lemmings at the front go charging over the cliff, no one knows what's coming down the line but it's not looking good. I didn't think in my lifetime I would see the US being downgraded on debt. It's election year next year and there will more likely be another vicious fight in regards the budget in America.......not good, not good.

Well it's like the lemmings at the back cheering as the lemmings at the front go charging over the cliff, no one knows what's coming down the line but it's not looking good. I didn't think in my lifetime I would see the US being downgraded on debt. It's election year next year and there will more likely be another vicious fight in regards the budget in America.......not good, not good.

Yawn.....it's always like that. You can go back 30 years and people saying the same thing. People need to be kept in constant fear. It's never as bad (or as good) as it seems. Mellow out and have another beer and stop listening to the Politicians.

Edited by ES1

I didn't think in my lifetime I would see the US being downgraded on debt.

And I have been wondering for years already why it didn't happen

You do realize that as a percentage of GDP the interest on the debt is lower than it was 20 years ago? Also, the Deficits/Debt is an entirely solvable problem without much pain. Return tax rates on the rich to what they were in the 80's and the problem solves itself.

But you won't read anything about that because it is not a scary enough headline. Also, it is not in the best interests of a certain political party to solve that problem. That gets into the problem of a 2 party system but that is another discussion.

Edited by ES1

I guess the exchange rate will be down to 46 baht to £1 sterling by late tomorrow morning.

My crystal ball tells me that it`s a probability the rate will decrease to 40 baht for £1 sterling in the foreseeable future.

Make no mistake, this is going to affect everyone who obtains their incomes from abroad, not only the British, and of course this must have a dramatic effect on tourism. It makes no difference what the TAT does; the tourists just simply will not be able to afford to holiday here.

For many ex-pats living here that have not planned well or are already on shoestring budgets, many will not have a future here in Thailand if this decrease trend in bahts for western currencies continues for much longer.

Only one benefit of the falling exchange rates that I can think of; is that I wont have to queue so long when applying for my visa extension at Immigration.