Wont Be Many Brits Left Here Soon 47 Baht To Sterling Oh Dear

Well I'm lucky enough to have a job and get 2 holidays to LOS every year :-)

I'm stuck here for now, my plan is to move overseas, trust me lots of UK citizens would DO any job that was offered..Look at the construction industry, half my mates worked for years then got paid off coz Poles came in and worked for much less, sorry I don't think that is right! But if you complain nowadays you are labelled are racist??

As for studying, it's not that easy either for most people, the government doesn't make it easy to be able to live and study, and of course we have the foreign students who take a lot of college places every year.

How long has it been since you lived in the UK?

Even if you complain, no-one listens, so you might as well not bother

(Monty Python)

I moved to England for my first job when I graduated, and I've never worked more than a week in the old country since then.

That said, apart from when I was my own boss (worst of both worlds), the first time I worked for Johnny Foreigner was the current job, starting in July last year.

I'm delighted that people in the UK are getting their buildings put up cheaper than if they had to rely on Brits. If we can't compete, then we need to cut our prices. Otherwise, say Auf Weiderzein, Pet to your job. What I resent is villains working illegally or employing illegal workers and undercutting my rates - whether that be as an overpaid work-permit-holding tax-paying consultant in Thailand, or a cockle-fisher competing with Chinese slave labour imported by the container-load to the UK.

SC

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EU could work if unqualified countries were ousted,

as it is the pigs are dragging EU down in the mud.

Sorry the EU will never work mate, it was only created as the first step to a new world order, most of you's will laugh at this but I'm afraid it's true.

Look at who runs the EU, who voted for them? NOBODY DID, so that means the whole thing is undemocratic.

So i'm taking it you like the current world order ?

or at least guessing it is better than a change ?

Sorry the EU will never work mate, it was only created as the first step to a new world order, most of you's will laugh at this but I'm afraid it's true.

Look at who runs the EU, who voted for them? NOBODY DID, so that means the whole thing is undemocratic.

We can either enjoy our situation, change it, or be miserable. I find the first the easiest.

If I thought I could do a better job as prime minister, I might join a political party.

Since I can't, I'll vote for whichever candidate appears to suit me best. (Of course, we don't elect a prime minister - its completely undemocratic; all we get to do is elect an MP who promises to kowtow to some party line on our behalf...

SC

I hope that Thai currency will get even stronger so that more unwanted and undesirable foreigners will be unable to visit Thailand.

Who the hell are you ,to make that statement? What is your definition of an "unwanted and undesirable foreigner"? I strongly suspect you are one,yourself. By the comment you made. Go back to where you are most probably "unwanted"

I doubt you will get your wish. Take Greece & Turkey as examples. With costs ever escalating under the Euro in Greece it was Turkey best placed to pick up Tourist numbers and they did, substantially. But it wasn't the "unwanted and undesirables" that voted with their feet, it was very much the middle class. In Greece meanwhile even more crowds of partying youngsters intent on getting boozed up were attracted by holiday resorts forced to go down market as the families decamped to Turkey.

Thailand has certain attractions for some people that are not so readily available elsewhere. Those that want to party in LOS will continue to do so.Others will no doubt start to look elsewhere.

We can either enjoy our situation, change it, or be miserable. I find the first the easiest.

If I thought I could do a better job as prime minister, I might join a political party.

Since I can't, I'll vote for whichever candidate appears to suit me best. (Of course, we don't elect a prime minister - its completely undemocratic; all we get to do is elect an MP who promises to kowtow to some party line on our behalf...

SC

Doesn't matter who you vote for these days my friend rolleyes.gif

SC

But you didn't get to choose the candidates that stood for election as MP.

So that was undemocratic too.

Until voting slips have a 'No Suitable Applicant' box, all elections are inherently flawed.

45 two years ago, can anyone see the light if any ) at the end of the tunnel ? not much better here in uk, a can of corned beef is on average £160, it was half that price 2 years ago, gas has doubled, electric has doubled , most food has doubled. scary days indeed blink.gif

I havnt quite finished my 160 GBP tin of Corned Beef.I opened it in 2009.:D

:D

May I introduce you to the new commodity on the block, a good old tin of :spam1:. You can do a lot with :spam1: you know, but at over £300 a tin, you need to make sure your :spam1: lasts.

Big tin

I cant help but to agree with SC I moved here because I was fed up with the way the UK was going and I see no reason to go back. Loads of people out of work or supported by the state why look for job? The news from the world markets is not good, today it looks worse, the euro seems to teetering on the brink, Osborne gives it 6 weeks to sort it out or it will colapse. The world cannot afford it to happen, it is likely to be a domino effect. The US may have been trying to teach the EU a lesson by not printing more money but that has triggered this situation. But is the euro being worse than sterling or the dollar against the bhat? You would think that would be the case. what a strange situation. Its today at about 47bts to the GBP, what am I to make of that? Thailand is generally regarded as a "developing country" whilst the UK id a "developed country. The GBP was once a world type reserve currency much like the dollar but not today,so, is the Thai baht performing above its weight which might support its movement up the "developing" ladder perhaps? The GBP has over a period of time been falling aginst the Thai bhat does this mean that a "developed" country it has not been performing as well as it might? What influences market forces to set an exchange rate? Even when the UK economy seems to be giving out good signs it does seem to move the rate.

Well, its an interesting world thats for sure and I must just make a comment about democracy and MP,s in the UK.

You vote for the candidate of your choice who you think will best represent you, all very democratic,but, after the election, the winning party that forms a Government then instructs all their MP.s which way they are expected to vote on most issues! Its the way it is,but, its not what I call democracy ( after the election ). It would be difficult to manage the system otherwise I grant you.

Edited by nong38

Those of you who can remember what happened in 1997, how about joining me in a petition to George Soros and his cronies....... come back, George, do it again.....please!

It won't matter to me this time - my company went belly up last time he was around.

I think you mean 1992...

Or are you suggesting that its the baht that is being kept artificially high?

SC

i don.t think he meant 1992, as it was 1997 that the baht crashed.

Thanks Nocturn, it was indeed 1997 and in the space of a few days the baht/pound exchange rate changed from 35/1 to around 90/1, though some say it went to 92/1. Mine was by no means the only company to go to the wall. Many companies who traded in goods bought on credit from the UK found themselves with warehouses of unsaleable goods. And George Soros was certainly amongst those who profited by that Asian currency crash.

I learned a lesson from that and never became involved in purchasing goods on credit ever again.

I note that it is reported that Soros has now entered the ranks of the ten richest men in the US. Well done, sir!

Edited by richardjm65

Take a look at the stock markets , and other currencies around the world . its not just the £, every body is in it, even China could be dragged down, they are all Dependant on each other.Things could change that the Bart is to strong the same as the yen , so buying exports from these country's could be to expensive.

As for studying, it's not that easy either for most people, the government doesn't make it easy to be able to live and study, and of course we have the foreign students who take a lot of college places every year.

I think foreign students might actually be more-beneficial than many realise ?

The foreign students pay significantly-higher tuition-fees, which helps subsidise the UK-students, although I hear that fees for locals are now rising, I fear that they'll be paying-off their student-loans for a long time after they graduate.

Also foreign-students don't have the (no doubt unwelcome, but hey, like it or lump it) option of living-at-home, and studying at a local college or university, it certainly looks quite expensive when I consider the UK for my own kids' graduate-studies.

But at least as dual-nationals, they won't have to 'jump through hoops', to get visas to go to study there. One problem with raising barriers to non-EEC foreigners, is that it also makes it harder for overseas-students to visit, and study/live/spend-money in the UK-economy. I've heard that this may be a growing-problem, from friends who run a couple of language-schools on the Kent-coast, in the past couple-of-years ?

Lastly I would suggest that, if you're studying with other young people from around the world, it gives the local students a wider view of the real-world, which is an added benefit.

Edited by Ricardo

I think foreign students might actually be more-beneficial than many realise ?

The foreign students pay significantly-higher tuition-fees, which helps subsidise the UK-students, although I hear that fees for locals are now rising, I fear that they'll be paying-off their student-loans for a long time after they graduate.

Also foreign-students don't have the (no doubt unwelcome, but hey, like it or lump it) option of living-at-home, and studying at a local college or university, it certainly looks quite expensive when I consider the UK for my own kids' graduate-studies.

But at least as dual-nationals, they won't have to 'jump through hoops', to get visas to go to study there. One problem with raising barriers to non-EEC foreigners, is that it also makes it harder for overseas-students to visit, and study/live/spend-money in the UK-economy. I've heard that this may be a growing-problem, from friends who run a couple of language-schools on the Kent-coast, in the past couple-of-years ?

Lastly I would suggest that, if you're studying with other young people from around the world, it gives the local students a wider view of the real-world, which is an added benefit.

Suppose I would have to agree with you on that, many young people are leaving college or uni now with no jobs and massive debt as you mentioned.

Yes, I've really started to feel the lousy exchange rate over the last year. The atms spit virtually nothing out for the same money and it doesn't go as far due to inflation. That's really hurt. I don't go out to farang restaurants as much, that's all I can do really.

Edited by chops

In a sense, that was nothing to do with George Soros. It was an inevitable consequence of the policy of maintaining an unsupportable exchange rate; George Soros merely accelerated the inevitable so that he could profit from it. Now, if my understanding of previous posters is correct, people believe that the value of the pound is likely to decline further, and so if George Soros were to become involved, it would be to precipitate that decline and profit from others' efforts to delay it. As he did in 1992. Personally, I've tried to avoid gambling on currencies, and prefer to tie my investments in productive income-generating assets

SC

'In a sense' I'm sure you're right... Odd though how Soros became incredibly wealthy whilst the UK saw interest rates rise to 21% at one point (?).

Must admit, I can't remember even though where I was working in a 'financial' atmosphere at the time. We were all 'glued' to the 'screens' - watching what was going on as it affected not only our company but also our mortgages !

Soros had enough money (god knows how) to 'play' the market beyond breaking point.

The banks have done the same thing now and had to be bailed out at the taxpayers expense. The taxpayers are 'not happy' at the moment, and will get less happy when they are hit financially. And it will happen....

Edit - all is OK though as long as we have no problems with the odd wealthy individual 'gambling' with our economies in the belief that they, personally, will gain financially.

I suppose we should not begrudge others benefitting from our mistakes; it is our choice whether we make them, not theirs.

Soros never asked us to join the ERM; he merely took advantage of our foolishness - not so much in joining, but in joining at an unsustainable rate.

SC

I cant help but to agree with SC I moved here because I was fed up with the way the UK was going and I see no reason to go back. Loads of people out of work or supported by the state why look for job? The news from the world markets is not good, today it looks worse, the euro seems to teetering on the brink, Osborne gives it 6 weeks to sort it out or it will colapse. The world cannot afford it to happen, it is likely to be a domino effect. The US may have been trying to teach the EU a lesson by not printing more money but that has triggered this situation. But is the euro being worse than sterling or the dollar against the bhat? You would think that would be the case. what a strange situation. Its today at about 47bts to the GBP, what am I to make of that? Thailand is generally regarded as a "developing country" whilst the UK id a "developed country. The GBP was once a world type reserve currency much like the dollar but not today,so, is the Thai baht performing above its weight which might support its movement up the "developing" ladder perhaps? The GBP has over a period of time been falling aginst the Thai bhat does this mean that a "developed" country it has not been performing as well as it might? What influences market forces to set an exchange rate? Even when the UK economy seems to be giving out good signs it does seem to move the rate.

Well, its an interesting world thats for sure and I must just make a comment about democracy and MP,s in the UK.

You vote for the candidate of your choice who you think will best represent you, all very democratic,but, after the election, the winning party that forms a Government then instructs all their MP.s which way they are expected to vote on most issues! Its the way it is,but, its not what I call democracy ( after the election ). It would be difficult to manage the system otherwise I grant you.

I think you're not agreeing with me at all - I don't mean that in an argumentative way, I mean that by way of clarification. I think it is good that we welcome to our shores people who want to work, and sad that we have unions and dole that prevent people from working for competitive wages.

Most MPs nail their colours to the mast at election time, so we can scarcely blame them for kowtowing to the party whip. What is more distressing, in my experience, is that we may be deterred from voting for our best local candidate for MP because of his party affiliation; which in turn, may be cynically chosen so that he can get elected. Our local labour candidate and MP was an honourable and loyal servant of the constuency, but my dear old mother could never bring herself to vote for him due to a divergence in political leanings.

We would expect developing country currencies to rise against developed country currencies, otherwise they would be non-developing countries, like Zimbabwe. The American currency has risen substantially since they stopped using the British dollar (crown, or quarter-pound) as currency.

SC

I think you're not agreeing with me at all - I don't mean that in an argumentative way, I mean that by way of clarification. I think it is good that we welcome to our shores people who want to work, and sad that we have unions and dole that prevent people from working for competitive wages.

Most MPs nail their colours to the mast at election time, so we can scarcely blame them for kowtowing to the party whip. What is more distressing, in my experience, is that we may be deterred from voting for our best local candidate for MP because of his party affiliation; which in turn, may be cynically chosen so that he can get elected. Our local labour candidate and MP was an honourable and loyal servant of the constuency, but my dear old mother could never bring herself to vote for him due to a divergence in political leanings.

We would expect developing country currencies to rise against developed country currencies, otherwise they would be non-developing countries, like Zimbabwe. The American currency has risen substantially since they stopped using the British dollar (crown, or quarter-pound) as currency.

SC

We need to move towards the Swiss democratic model. We need more referendums. We're putting too much power into the hands of too few.

SC

We need to move towards the Swiss democratic model. We need more referendums. We're putting too much power into the hands of too few.

Agreed,in a real Democracy there should be a Referendom on all Major issues,but of course the Politicians would never agree to that,it would be the people controlling the Politicians,and they would never agree to handing power back to the people,they would be less able to manipulate us,and lie through their teeth!

SC

I was agreeing with you why you moved here, thats why I came.

45 two years ago, can anyone see the light if any ) at the end of the tunnel ? not much better here in uk, a can of corned beef is on average £160, it was half that price 2 years ago, gas has doubled, electric has doubled , most food has doubled. scary days indeed blink.gif

£160 for a can of corned beef? How much is Spam these days, £500 a can?

£160 for a can of corned beef??? Mildred !! Hand me the noose !!! :whistling:

I think the writer meant 1.60plaugh.gif but ASDA is a bit cheaper.

Britain isnt getting any cheaper its just a case of cutting your cloth accordingly wherever one lives.

Cant see interest rates going up for a long time, and the deficit is growing hardly the right environment for a rise in sterling.

Edit Maybe if the Euro breaks up Sterling maybe seen as somewhere save to put ones money, its got to be a better bet then all of southern/east and most of central Europe.

We can only hope for the break up of this Mickey Mouse currency, hopefully the return of the mighty DM, then I can move my money out of the Brit Peso.

I bought a basket full of Baht Saturday (The limit I am allowed by my US Bank Debit card) and will but more today (American Dollars) The Americans are about to enter round two of "Politics over Leadership" and have until Friday to reach a compromise so the government does not shut down. The charade will continue to the very last minute, and there may be a Republican filibuster, and certainly a threat of one. The dollar will fall, the Baht will go from 3.90 to 3.15 by week end. in two weeks, it will be 29.95. I do not follow the British Pound, but if the change in monetary conditions curtails the portion of the "British Invasion" that comes here for "cheap thrills" and has the audacity to complain about it...that is an outcome I applaud.

Britain isnt getting any cheaper its just a case of cutting your cloth accordingly wherever one lives.

Cant see interest rates going up for a long time, and the deficit is growing hardly the right environment for a rise in sterling.

Edit Maybe if the Euro breaks up Sterling maybe seen as somewhere save to put ones money, its got to be a better bet then all of southern/east and most of central Europe.

We can only hope for the break up of this Mickey Mouse currency, hopefully the return of the mighty DM, then I can move my money out of the Brit Peso.

I bought a basket full of Baht Saturday (The limit I am allowed by my US Bank Debit card) and will but more today (American Dollars) The Americans are about to enter round two of "Politics over Leadership" and have until Friday to reach a compromise so the government does not shut down. The charade will continue to the very last minute, and there may be a Republican filibuster, and certainly a threat of one. The dollar will fall, the Baht will go from 3.90 to 3.15 by week end. in two weeks, it will be 29.95. I do not follow the British Pound, but if the change in monetary conditions curtails the portion of the "British Invasion" that comes here for "cheap thrills" and has the audacity to complain about it...that is an outcome I applaud.

I think that "you boys" speculating about currencies should be a little bit more careful - buying baht at such a poor exchange rate as this (and in bucket loads) based on your assertion of future events is more than a tad risky and you could well be out of pocket this time next week. On the other hand, I admire your brazen risk taking and if you are quids in then good luck to you - you are a braver (or fool-hardier) man than me!!!:jap:

I am repatriating money back home to England so am personally delighted at the baht's strength against the pound!!!

heheheeh You Brits where taking it out on the US dollar a few years ago as it dropped how does it feel now. You guys have lost much more than we have. But donot get me wrong not good for either one of us no matter where we get our money from.

It's a deliberate policy by the Brits to devalue their currency and boost exports. It's a little reported fact that Britain recently had it's all-time record export quarter, plus it is the biggest European investor in South East Asia, South Asia and the Pacific Rim. That's relevant as current and future growth prospects are most buoyant in these areas.

The Conservative/ Liberal Democrat government are doing a good job of stabilizing the British economy, and the IMF are delighted with them. Try telling that story in the UK thought, it really is a case of being a " Prophet in Your Own Land ".

The downside is that the ex-pat community relying on their sterling based pensions are in trouble, serious trouble in many cases. The drop in the £ / baht exchange rate will result in many people not qualifying for the minimum baht income requirement for their Thai retirement visa. Over and above that, it could tip many retired Brits into relative poverty and hardship in Thailand.

The British government is right to what it sees fit for the economy, and it has maintained it's AAA rating, unlike the USA, however behind the statistics are real lives, real people, and many many good people.

The OP was verging on trolling with his post, but as you watch the effects of the turmoil on the Western economies hitting retirees, you'll need to consider " There but for the grace of God, go I ". :(

IMF just cut its forecast for UK/GDP growth, down from 1.5 to 1.1, also warnings of a "double dip" risk.

I know that, I own two businesses in the UK, including one that exports ( please note, exports ) to China. 1.1% growth is fine at the moment, and believe it or not, stagnation is fine. It doesn't matter what happens today, we are very very early in the recovery cycle, it's where we are in 3 years that matters.

Costs in China are going through the roof due to several different reasons, so what's happening now in the UK in response to that? Manufacturers are beginning to repatriate their businesses to the UK, especially clothing manufacturers. You'll begin to see and even bigger rush to that as the exchange rate comes down. What's the result? Imports become more expensive, British industry becomes more competitive, and exports become cheaper. Happy days!! That is unless your a retiree in Thailand depending on your sterling based pension, then it's very unhappy days.

Ok, so what happens to the pound after your forecast, where do you see the long term median average of the pound?

I would feel more special if I was the only farang for miles around.

SC

That made me think about why I settle where I am now, farangies are few and far between in our village.

Except for the surge of tourists numbers now and again, and that's not happening so much these days.

The village is pretty much a ghost town sometimes around 7pm of an evening.

About the money thing, can't say it hasn't affected me in some way but my cushion planning came through but it was without any thought to what happen in 2007 -2008.

Even when my pension comes, it would have to go down to 25 - £1 to make me start making cuts.

It can't be nice for any of the old guys that want to stay here but are unable to continue to do so, sad days I guess.

Edited by Kwasaki

I think that "you boys" speculating about currencies should be a little bit more careful - buying baht at such a poor exchange rate as this (and in bucket loads) based on your assertion of future events is more than a tad risky and you could well be out of pocket this time next week. On the other hand, I admire your brazen risk taking and if you are quids in then good luck to you - you are a braver (or fool-hardier) man than me!!!:jap:

I am repatriating money back home to England so am personally delighted at the baht's strength against the pound!!!

Yes, the strong Baht is good news for you indeed... Bangkok is my home, so it is really not speculating for profit, it is buying more money when it is "cheaper." Good news for you then, because if you read my posting, in about 10 days (barring a disaster in Thailand) ... your Baht will buy more Sterling. My average purchase price, net of all fees...is a bit above 30.50. Not jumping for joy...but learning to live with it. I mean, lets look at my day so far. 1 1/2 Thai massage (300 baht), 100 baht tip, a chicken dinner big enough I took half home for later (100 Baht.) So, a pleasant civilized Sunday in Bangkok...about $15 US. The equivalent day in San Francisco would cost $120 US (3,600 Baht)...and not been half as good.

So...I count myself lucky to have had another good day put on the string...we don't live forever, and should remember how good we have it. I know Thailand is not perfect...but it is a whole lot better than "Plan B!"

Thanks for your thoughtful reply...

Guess you haven't realised that the "new world order" is already in place. Just need to compare how much western political systems are carbon copies of each other, and Asian countries fast adopting the same BS PC laws as have already destroyed western society.

As for democracy- where? None in any country I've been in.