Convert To Retirement Visa From Which Other Visa While Here ?

I've just been married in Thailand to a Thai lady. I have to return to Australia every 3 months to take care of some business, and last time I just got another Tourist Visa. This time I am wondering if I should get some other visa, but am not sure which one. I am over 50.

I don't have much in the way of savings (so I guess I can't get a marriage visa ) but can prove I receive about 40 or 45 K baht each month from Australia. Am I correct in assuming I can only really apply for another Tourist Visa ? My savings aren't enough for a Marriage Visa.

The other alternative is to come here on a Tourist Visa and get a "friend of a friend" in Immigration to process me and get a Retirement Visa (with a little tea money), by stretching but not breaking the rules. I can only show a little money in bank.

I THINK this is possible, but not sure yet. I wouldn't want to break any laws here.

If I was to do this, can I convert visas in Thailand ?

Edited by Latindancer

We cannot discuss illegal activities but you may well qualify for 12 month extensions of stay based on being married to a Thai lady.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Why even talk about a retirement extension to an O visa or obtaining an O-A "retirement visa" in Austrailia. The guidlines are pretty clear -- over age 50 (yup you got that), monthly income over 65,000 baht per month (well, probably not) or 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, soley in your name. Or a blend of the income and bank accounts. It's pretty straightforward.

Yeah, sure you can live on less than 800,000 baht per year here. Hubby and I do it here and that's with a typical Chiang Mai expat life. There's no way you'd spend that much in "the village".

But, wham! The moment you have a motorbike crash or end up in the hospital suddenly, you'll discover why they have these "silly" requirements for retirement visas. The hospital will "stablize" you, but they won't do much else unless you have funds for your account with them. It doesn't matter if the funds are "locked up" in real estate or in an offshore account. They'll just keep you stable until you cough up the money needed for treatment.

Americans seem to understand this concept; this is health care in America. Other nationalities seem to feel like health care is a natural right, like breathing. It doesn't work that way here.

If the OP is over 50 and can't show 800,000 baht that is really his, then what is is doing here? It's time to go back to a place where the government will take care of him.

(Sorry, but I've been moping up after several elderly expats who didn't plan ahead.)

Edited by NancyL

Why even talk about a retirement extension to an O visa or obtaining an O-A "retirement visa" in Austrailia. The guidlines are pretty clear -- over age 50 (yup you got that), monthly income over 65,000 baht per month (well, probably not) or 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, soley in your name. Or a blend of the income and bank accounts. It's pretty straightforward.

Yeah, sure you can live on less than 800,000 baht per year here. Hubby and I do it here and that's with a typical Chiang Mai expat life. There's no way you'd spend that much in "the village".

But, wham! The moment you have a motorbike crash or end up in the hospital suddenly, you'll discover why they have these "silly" requirements for retirement visas. The hospital will "stablize" you, but they won't do much else unless you have funds for your account with them. It doesn't matter if the funds are "locked up" in real estate or in an offshore account. They'll just keep you stable until you cough up the money needed for treatment.

Americans seem to understand this concept; this is health care in America. Other nationalities seem to feel like health care is a natural right, like breathing. It doesn't work that way here.

If the OP is over 50 and can't show 800,000 baht that is really his, then what is is doing here? It's time to go back to a place where the government will take care of him.

(Sorry, but I've been moping up after several elderly expats who didn't plan ahead.)

even if you go for a marriage ext.if you havnt got 400k bht to leave in the bank stop dreaming.your salary alone is ok but it doesnt cover any problems,you can be sure there will be some.this is where planning comes first.

suggest to enquiry with the various Thai Embassies or Consulate in Australia and try to obtain a 1year Mulitiple Entry Non Immigrant Visa O=married.

This will allow you to stay each time you enter for 90days.

You can strech your stay to up to 15month.

Keep in mind that it is illegal to work without Work Permit.

If you get a Single Entry Non Immigrant Visa you could still extend once for 60days at Thai Immigration. You just take wife and paperwork to your local Thai Immigration, this is if you do not have funds to get a years extension.

My info is that the funds for a retirement visa can be held in a foreign bank now. The need to prove funds in a Thai bank only has been recently amended. Can anyone clarify this?

If retirement is extension of stay within Thailand the funds must be within Thailand. Only if you obtain a non immigrant O-A in home country could funds be in that country.

OP needs a multi entry non immigrant O visa which he can easily obtain from almost any Consulate in Oz on his next trip with copy of marriage certificate/copy of wife id and home register and short note from wife asking for such visa to be issued (not all may be required but have if asked). This allows stay of up to 90 days per entry for one year of visa validity and fits his travel plans and does not require money in bank (other that normal 20k available for show if asked).

As for 60 day extension of stay any entry can be extended by this period of time for those married to a Thai so good to be aware of this if ever required.