Sim-free Mobile Phone In Thailand

RonanTheBarbarian

Quick question.

How much would i expect to pay for a (fairly low spec) SIM-free mobile phone in Bangkok?

I am going there next week, for three weeks, and i want to keep the SIM card in my own mobile phone, (ie, i cannot get just a SIM card to put in it for the duration) therefore i was thinking of getting a SIM-free phone in BKK, and buying a cheap SIM card, for use within Thailand. (of course, i could just use my own mobile with roaming for in-Thailand calls, but i suspect that would be horrifically expensive. Therefore i thought it might be handier to get a SIM-free one in Thailand. In any event, the SIM-free phone one may come in useful at home also)

But maybe it would be cheaper to get a SIM- free phone in Ireland before i leave and get just the card in thailand.

Has anybody any advice?

Edited by RonanTheBarbarian

Just a thought.

Why not do as I do?

My UK mobile is redirected to whatever local phone I'm using at the time (currently Philippines), so anyone who calls me gets directed to my local mobile.

OK, I have to pay for the call to Thailand which works out slightly more expensive than using the roaming system. Really depends on how many people you expect to call.

Less hassle than carring two mobiles.

or buy a new nokia 1100 for 2600baht

I agree with stumonster, buy a new low-end phone. Many models available for 4,000 baht or less. Used phones are OK, you try it before you buy it, and these things are usually binary, they work or they don't, so not a lot of risk.

Jaymart is a large, retail chain here with shops everywhere. You can check out prices at their website. As mentioned, there are upwards of 300 mobile 'shops' in the MBK shopping center, where you can find used phones. Prices, for new phones, really don't vary all that much from store to store.

BTW, nearly all the phones sold here are 'SIM-free' and 'unlocked', so don't use these words as you'll just confuse people. You just want to by a mobile phone.

Also you probably will be required to 'register' your SIM when you purchase it so be sure to have your passport, or possibly a copy, with you as they may ask to see it tp verify the information on the registration form.

You will definitely save money calling both within Thailand, and to other countries (especially if you use the 009 or 008 prefixes, 009 44 nnn nnnn), using a local SIM, and your primary mobile will always be available for incoming callers.

hi ronan where and when are you in thailand because i am flying tmorro and will have some brand new nokia 2600 colour screen phones available for 3500 baht if ya interested i will include an ais sim for 200 baht.

then at least when you get home you will be assured of the new phone working because a lot of the 2nd phones in mbk tend to be on the european lost and stolen register.

allan

hi ronan where and when are you in thailand because i am flying tmorro and will have some brand new nokia 2600 colour screen phones available for 3500 baht if ya interested i will include an ais sim for 200 baht.

then at least when you get home you will be assured of the new phone working because a lot of the 2nd phones in mbk tend to be on the european lost and stolen register.

allan

Ummm, the 2600 lists at 3290b on Jaymarts.com Here so deduct abt 10% for reality. :o

For the OP I would suggest buying the phone, the SIM and even a top-up card all at the same time, from the same vendor. Then they can set it all up for you, on the spot, and you might get a small discount to boot.

There is no doubt that many ill-gotten phones end up getting hocked at MBK. In theory the purchaser (shop owner) is supposed to record the details (ID card, passport) of the seller, and match those up to the IMEI number (unique 15-digit indetifier for the phone) of the phone being sold. (Chances of this actually happening, zero.) In the event that the original owner were to report the phone missing or stolen, and had the foresight to record IMEI number and incude it in the police report, then there is some risk that the current "owner" might be at risk of prosecution and/or denial of service. Again, the odds of this all happening are infintessimal, and most used phones are legitimate trade-ins or trade-ups.

On most phones you can obtain the IMEI by entering *#06#

Edited by lomatopo