I Talk Too Much Post

Ave

I have just found out that I have a couple of nodules on my vocal cords. I am in a bit of a mess as I also suffer from chronic synusitis and rhinitis forcing me to breathe with my mouth most of the time.

My throat is sore and I struggle to speak because my voice comes and goes.

The doctor advised me to speak as little as possible but I teach and without using my voice I cannot work.

She also suggested that I try a speech therapist but told me that the queues to see one are long.

Do you think a speech therapist is absolutely necessary and if so would you recommend one in particular around Chonburi/Bangkok area?

Thanks in advance

I could do with some help right now...unsure.gif

Speech therapists are indeed scarce here. i imagine the idea would be for them to teach you techniques for speaking with as little use of your vocal cords as posisble i.e. sort of throwing a loud whisper. Not sure how feasible that will be in the classroom, but might work with a microphone.

As to whether really necessary, you could try on your own to see how loudly you can "whisper" and maybe invest in a handheld battery operated microphone.

otherwise, to locate a speech therapist, see this link and scroll down to Thailand http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/Asia.htm

nodules are a common ailmetn among teachers and vocal rest is the recommended therapya nd yes, speech therapy and sometimes surgery also.. many of the kindergarten and school teachers with similar problem on kibbutz... the speach therapy is to teach u how to speak without straining the vocal chords, whispering also strains the cords. forced silence, a blackboard or white board for general talking with family are the usual tools, and a change of profession short term or long term are the recomendations here.

but obviously second opinions and probably allergy checks etc for the sinusitus etc might also be a good idea if u havent already done so...

Thanks a lot everyone. Very interesting replies, they all make a lot of sense.

I have to say this is a very positive phase of my life, I have just graduated while starting the new term in good working conditions and with a substantial pay rise after over a month break spent in a gorgeous place with my family after three long years of hard work and studying non-stop, I couldn't be happier. Perhaps ready for a new obstacle as it happens..

I teach small classes therefore it should be reasonably easy to avoid strain. Using a microphone is something I thought about. Carrying a small whiteboard with a marker pen is also a good idea, thanks, Bina. I'd try to avoid delicate and expensive operations, though, in the determination that within a month things will improve and the nodules will recede.

Meditation could be useful but it clashes with my chanting. Funnily enough when I chant my voice often comes back.. I agree with James about making a link between wanting or needing to say something and having throat problems as something psychologically related.

I spend entire weekends without speaking but I have noticed that the less I speak the more I lose my voice. This I don't understand..

I do understand, thought, that singing or talking to my passengers whilst riding a bike is a habit that I should get rid of..

My friends tell me that I'm not fit and need to exercise to strengthen my immune system. I am going to try to cycle to work carrying some defense device in case of dog-attacks..I'm terrified of them..

I'll take a look at your links Sheryl, I think it's worth trying to find out more about speech therapy, too. Thank you.

I used to teach. Found I sometimes talked too much; too much TTT & got hoarse. Noisy ss & I was trying too hard. Prepared lesson plans with near-zero TTT. Students enjoyed the fun when they got the hang of it. I rarely achieved 'absolute zero TTT'; some immediate instructions are usually needed when ss misunderstand. You don't have to do it every lesson but being able to turn it on when you want is lovely. Very useful with noisy classes. I was so much more relaxed which improved everything but esp. the throat.

Edited by euca

I used to teach. Found I sometimes talked too much; too much TTT & got hoarse. Noisy ss & I was trying too hard. Prepared lesson plans with near-zero TTT. Students enjoyed the fun when they got the hang of it. I rarely achieved 'absolute zeroTTT'; some immediate instructions are usually needed when ss misunderstand. You don't have to do it every lesson but being able to turn it on when you want is lovely. Very useful with noisy classes. I was so much more relaxed which improved everything but esp. the throat.

I was doing the same as you at the beginning, then I started to lower my volume and speak less: I got more attention that way.

One of my colleagues immediately found a wonderful application that converts text to speech. I have been using it all week together with a projector. It's fun also because it doesn't read all the words correctly and I sound a bit like Stephen Hawkings but it can be a bit disruptive. It's interesting to see how students react to it..some are more attentive, others find it annoying.

I might get a mike at some point. I love lessons with little TTT observing the students at work but some lessons require it more than others.

Edited by Ave