Settling In The Uk On A Settlement Visa

Hi All

My wife will be back in the UK on the 3rd October on a settlement visa and it will be totally Different to a Visitors Visa in the way that she is starting a new life in the UK.

So what does that involve my question is.

I have a good idea of what i should be doing, but other people on the forum may have better ideas.

regarding myself, I will have to inform the council tax office that i am no longer able to get 25% Discount on my council tax bill and that i will have to start paying the new amount. 9not sure that i will have to pay 100% from Oct -March 2012.

Then i need to registrar the wife at my doctors and dentist.

If my wife is wanting to work, then she will have to apply for a NI Number.

I guess for future reference, it maybe worthwhile putting the wife's name onto the household bill's.

been married means that she should have a card for a bank account!!!

My wife has a thai Motor bike Licence, will she be able to buy a bike in the UK and Use it with insurance or will she have to apply for a UK Licence and then pass a Bike Test. she would love to drive, But that would knock up my cheap motor car insurance,

If anyone can offer any other advice, It would be appreciated.

Regards

Malc

Yes, you must inform your council that you no longer qualify for the single occupant discount. I assume you will have to pay the full amount from the day she moves in, but your council will advise you on that.

Yes, you should register her with both a doctor and a dentist. Note that your doctor and dentist are not obliged to take her; though they probably will.

She will also need a NI number if you are going to apply for tax credits. Although she is not allowed to claim these in her own right, you are. Tax credit claims for a couple must be made jointly and so she can be included in your claim, and for this she will need a NI number.

She can use her Thai licence for a maximum of 12 months after her first arrival to live. During this period she should obtain a UK provisional and take a UK test. If she has not passed a UK test at the end of this period she will have to ride using her UK provisional subject to the usual provisional conditions. If she hasn't obtained a UK provisional she will have to stop riding until she does. Ditto for a car licence.

You may find this post of interest.

Best of luck mate , the only problem i had was with my doctor, he thought he new it all ,He said she was not entitled to a Doctor , after a few words i just changed doctor, The bank may ask about your wife before letting her have a bank account. Mine has her own as she is working now.,the next step which is soon is her ILR.

For when she has arrived ( if you haven't already done so), consider a PC with Thai TV, also get a cheap rate phone provider , half P per minute for telephone calls to Thailand. I did this for my Thai wife. It may be worth considering, say in 6 months getting books on 'life in the UK test' or whatever other qualification is needed for ILR. Good luck...!!!:)

Hi,

My wife has now been here for just over a year now and everything does fall into place as you go along. She settled here very well and even has a own credit card now in her own name (dangerous I know!!)

We plan to apply for ILR next year and it pays to plan ahead for that if your doing the same as this last year has flown by. To open a Bank Account she will need to show address verification so putting her name on the council tax bill is advisable then you can use this. I have had my wifes name put on all the bills so each month or quarter we get the bills sent in joint names as the UK Border agency need evidence that you have lived together for the 2 years. I think they need 6 documents in total from 3 different companies such as council tax, utility bills and bank statments but they must also be spread throughout the 2 years so its a good idea to start collecting them early if you can.

About the motorbike, my wife finds it tool cold at the bus stop in the winter never mind riding a motorbike!!!! Yen Yen Yen is all I hear!!!

All the best for the future and I hope you will be really happy.

Andy

Edited by andyandythai

Thank you for your feedback.

i bought my Wife a dell laptop last year and with Google chrome you can use the onscreen Thai Keyboard.

i did however buy her a UK/Thai Keyboard which is still in the Box.

Regarding the Life in the UK, I bought her the UK/Thai Version of the Book, That way she can learn it in Thai and then convert it to English.

Not totally sure what she is going to do about a Job, i will wait and see how she feels after a few Months of Mrs T

Malc

I am delighted as to how well my wife has settled in to life in the UK. She soon made Thai and English friends.

She got a job, but then began to work stupidly long hours - I put a stop to this and she now agrees that 40 hours a week is plenty enough.

She opened an ATM card only bank account (for her salary) and has enough plastic in her wallet.

Doo TV and a Thai USB keyboard are important additions.

Turnover at local clothing retailers has undoubtedly increased...

Edited by Contractor

You can get a phone card that she can ring Thailand from her mobile for about £5, she will get 1000 minutes, its cheaper than the phone line and she can phone when she gets the traditional two rings from Thailand to phone back, If you have a Computer you can get A Thai key boared on line free. If you go to you tube she can get all the Thai soaps from Thai TV and more , Thai music, There is a site called Sanook Sanook thats all Thai, Look around any you will be able to buy Thai veg and Thai foods. hope this helps her settling in best of luck.

Ps i found the ESOL course better for my wife because she meet other Thai people ,Dont listen to people who say dont let your wife have other Thai lady friends take them as you find them.

Edited by Thongkorn