20 Attacks In Southern Thailand

Kerryd

Three killed as Islamic militants launch more than 20 attacks in southern Thailand

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BANGKOK, Thailand, Nov. 7 — At least three people were killed, two others injured and dozens of suspected Muslim insurgents arrested as militants attacked more than 20 government targets in a southern Thai province, officials said Tuesday.

Scores of militants launched the coordinated attacks Monday night on facilities such as police stations, road check points and schools in Yala province, said provincial police chief Maj. Gen. Paitoon Choochaiya.

Paitoon said a police officer and two suspected insurgents were killed in Yala. Earlier, authorities said five people had died in Yala and one in the neighboring province of Pattani.

The attacks came after Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra returned from a brief visit to Narathiwat province, which along with Yala and Pattani has become the scene of almost daily sectarian violence since January last year that has killed more than 1,100 people.

Paitoon dismissed speculation that the attacks were meant as a challenge to Thaksin, who came to Narathiwat to take part in a Buddhist ceremony in which money and other support was offered to 105 Buddhist monasteries in the predominantly Muslim southern provinces. The rest of Thailand is predominantly Buddhist, and southern Muslims complain of discrimination.

Thaksin's motorcade was forced to make a detour when security forces found a 22-pound bomb planted in a tree about 200 yards from a restaurant where he had planned to eat lunch, Police Col. Nukul Kra Kraithong said.

Bomb experts successfully defused the bomb, Nukul said.

What kind of reaction do you think the government would take if the PM had of been killed ?

Three killed as Islamic militants launch more than 20 attacks in southern Thailand

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Thaksin's motorcade was forced to make a detour when security forces found a 22-pound bomb planted in a tree about 200 yards from a restaurant where he had planned to eat lunch, Police Col. Nukul Kra Kraithong said.

Forget all the jokes and jibes - This guy is the elected PM of this country - my take is the separitist especially now deserve all they get.

One poster mentioned the SAS, I would include the Aust SAS, the American Special Services & Seals along with the top covert experts from this (Thailand) and any other serious country to be deployed "covertly" and sought these idiots out.

I would like to say more but feel it may be stepping over the boundaries of allowable posting.

Flame me if you like but enough is enough - monks, women, children, teachers - this is not the way of every day (B & M) Thai people these are terrorists with their own agenda.

Happy to respond to sensible rebukes only.

If the real leaders of this “insurgency” hope to further exacerbate the conflict in the South, the last thing they should do is get rid of Taksin.

His heavy handed treatment of the situation so far has simply added fuel to the flames, which after all is exactly what they want.

Patrick

GENERAL CHAVALIT SAYS SOUTHERN UNREST WILL BE SOLVED SOON

General CHAWALIT YONGCHAIYUTH (ชวลิต ยงใจยุทธ) , the former Deputy Prime Minister who administered national security, expressed his belief that it will not take much longer to end the southern turbulence.

General CHAWALIT said that local officials have performed to the best of their ability in operating in risky areas, adding that the problems should be resolved soon. He said there are many experts on the issue, but they should cooperate together to solve the problem. However, as he is now outside the government administration, he has refused to comment about the details on the southern issues, but said that he has submitted a document on how to solve the problem to the premier. General CHAWALIT stressed that the government must follow the situation closely, especially the state intelligence, so that attacks can be prevented. He added that he believes there is a mastermind behind the ongoing unrest.

The former Deputy Prime Minister also commented on rewriting history that he had discussed with Culture Minister Uraiwan Thientong (อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง) about the issue already. As for the village security volunteers, he warned that they must operate with more caution, as there are insurgent leaders infiltrating the areas.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 November 2005

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Forget all the jokes and jibes - This guy is the elected PM of this country - my take is the separitist especially now deserve all they get.

One poster mentioned the SAS, I would include the Aust SAS, the American Special Services & Seals along with the top covert experts from this (Thailand) and any other serious country to be deployed "covertly" and sought these idiots out.

I would like to say more but feel it may be stepping over the boundaries of allowable posting.

Flame me if you like but enough is enough - monks, women, children, teachers - this is not the way of every day (B & M) Thai people these are terrorists with their own agenda.

Happy to respond to sensible rebukes only.

You are ever so right, let's get those idiots before they can do more damage.