How Much Money Are You Spending In Thailand?

theblether

I would argue though that for the sake of this thread, if any of you are on expense accounts which cover housing, you leave that money out of the mix (because it is not technically money you're spending from wages or could keep in another form).

Actually if you are receiving a housing, education, transportation, and/or cost of living allowance it is considered part of your salary and is included in your taxable income so I disagree it should be left out of this discussion because you are not "spending from wages".

TH

If you were not receiving these allownaces why would you even consider working here?

I personally know people receiving 200k per month, and thats not at the top end of what will be paid.

Trying sending two kids to a decent school and rent a house and see how far the 200k actually goes.

Excellent point. If you want to have housing, medical cover and schooling for your children which is comparable with what you would get in the west as well as the opportunity to contribute to retirement funds then you need 300,000 a month minimum.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thanks to the moderator for allowing the thread to run. My apologies to the members that feel the issue has been covered enough times in the past. The cheeky response to said members is that you can feel free to ignore the thread, the gracious response to said members is that this is issue is serious for many people.

There are ex-pats currently in Thailand who are finding themselves entrapped by the rise in living costs.

I would ask all members to keep that in mind when reading the topic. I believe there are people living here who had an unrealistic view of how much they could survive on. I know of one individual that retired here on a sterling pension of circa £570 per month. That was fine 3 years ago when the exchange rate was in the 60's £/baht. It is not fine now.

One thing that concerns me is the amount of people I see who do not have enough disposable income to buy a flight home. Quite simply that is a serious problem for many.

New members and people thinking of relocating to Thailand will possibly get a fright when reading this thread too. I agree with the member that said you would need 150-200k per month to live the ex-pat lifestyle in Thailand. I also know it is possible to enjoy a reasonable standard of living in the sticks on 25k per month.

Issues such as whether you have family here, how many kids etc are highly relevant too. The members that have posted a breakdown of their monthly outgoings are doing everyone a great service by their honesty. I for one was surprised to see the cost of schooling for example.

Financial security is the elephant in the room for many, many people. That good friend sitting next to you in the bar could be maxing out his credit card, and going home worrying himself about tomorrows exchange rate.

Let us all be realistic and honest too, if you have not met an ex-pat who has ran into serious financial difficulties here then you haven't been in the country long. The Land of Smiles can be a Land of Misery too, so instead of biting at each other a bit of education on financial matters will be of great help to many.

Family of 4

Rent - 75k

Money for wife for housekeeping etc - 40k

Beer money - 30k

One child school 28k (345,000/12)

Local holiday weekend break fund - 10k

The rest goes into retirement funds etc

Why on earth are you paying around 1500 sterling a month for rent ??

(Please the answer is not because I can)

I know its not ideal, but its all I can afford. Like I said, I'm not on any form of package. I get the same benefits as the Thai staff.

Ludicrous amount no matter what package................. Always one....

Jealous? :rolleyes:

Wow, just 20 odd days since the same question was posted - not bad! ok, here is my reply from last time.

snapback.pngchris2004, on 2011-09-01 11:30:19, said:

snapback.pngnickmanchester2, on 2011-08-31 15:17:38, said:

i love talking about living expenses for some strange reason

rent 2 bed 2 bath 62sqm pool side apartment in hua hin - 13,300b

bills inc internet 2800b

food - shop at villa for a few things - maybe 4000b

eating out - 6000b

entertainment - 8000b

car insurance, petrol, valeting 4500b

i live alone

38,600b a month

I think this is very good if you can live on 25k a month (excluding rent). My budget is similar but there are many other small things which seem to add up. Mobile phone, condo maintenance, birthday/xmas presents, dentist, pharmacy,laundry,clothes, visas, small household items. For me that adds another 10k a month onto the budget. The big one of course is women, some months it is as much as the rest put together. How do you budget for that?

yeah, i am forgetting a lot of things aren't

ok, additional

phone credit - 1600b

visa run (converted to monthly cost) - (last month cost me maybe 5000b but I took a lady friend with me and stayed over in Ranong for 1 night) - 1666b (5000b for the trip, but 1666b monthly cost)

women was included in the entertainment of 8000b a month - I have started using thailovelinks and find that it works out cheaper than using bars girls, so have stopped seeing bar girls now - only problem is that i will probably get my genitals chopped off at one point by one of these girls for being a butterfly - then life will be cheaper again - thailovelinks - 300b a month

Been averaging around 135,00 Baht a month for the last 3 years now, although that doesn't include overseas holidays that are paid for on the credit card.

How on earth do you live off 13500 baht per month?

Ooops 135,000 a month average.

Well !! there's some big spenders here, if I may just butt in on just another take, my wife can take care of her own expenses from her small cafe' .

So you can be right in the first place for me, I can live on 13,500 a month no problemo.:)

Been averaging around 135,00 Baht a month for the last 3 years now, although that doesn't include overseas holidays that are paid for on the credit card.

How on earth do you live off 13500 baht per month?

Ooops 135,000 a month average.

Well !! there's some big spenders here, if I may just butt in on just another take, my wife can take care of her own expenses from her small cafe' .

So you can be right in the first place for me, I can live on 13,500 a month no problemo.:)

How much would that figure be if your wife wasn't holding her own?

Interesting how for some the minimum expenditure required to live here is more than what 80-90% of people back home make in total income to begin with

Far from it, some of the posters are probably in the top 10-20% of earners back home, where ever that may be.

We probably have two types of poster, those living and working here on an expat package (and why should they take a pay cut to be here), and those who are retired and living upcountry.

There is also a third category, the farang who is so desperate to be here they are willing to work for a pittance, frankly I wouldnt get out of bed for some of the salaries on offer and its beyond me why some move half way round the world to live like a Thai, in some cases worse than a Thai.

Up to you as they say.

Interesting how for some the minimum expenditure required to live here is more than what 80-90% of people back home make in total income to begin with

Far from it, some of the posters are probably in the top 10-20% of earners back home, where ever that may be.

We probably have two types of poster, those living and working here on an expat package (and why should they take a pay cut to be here), and those who are retired and living upcountry.

There is also a third category, the farang who is so desperate to be here they are willing to work for a pittance, frankly I wouldnt get out of bed for some of the salaries on offer and its beyond me why some move half way round the world to live like a Thai, in some cases worse than a Thai.

Up to you as they say.

;)

housing loans - 40000

car loans - 20000

eat out - 10000

maid - 10000

brother -10000

sister - 10000

groceries - 30000

petrol - 10000

mother - 10000

massage - 10000

hospital -10000

entertainment - 20000

baby - 10000

total about 200k per month domestic

10000 on massages? Thats 40 a month at 250 a pop. Or 13 with a *ahem* 500 baht tip. Even so, you must end up pretty sore by pay day. :rolleyes:

housing loans - 40000

car loans - 20000

eat out - 10000

maid - 10000

brother -10000

sister - 10000

groceries - 30000

petrol - 10000

mother - 10000

massage - 10000

hospital -10000

entertainment - 20000

baby - 10000

Cut the maid, brother, sister and mother and you have the house for free. :D

housing loans - 40000

car loans - 20000

eat out - 10000

maid - 10000

brother -10000

sister - 10000

groceries - 30000

petrol - 10000

mother - 10000

massage - 10000

hospital -10000

entertainment - 20000

baby - 10000

thats a first, a sponsor with a bi girlfriend. Can you make a post about your life in an other thread?

Been following this thread with interest,as I have been here 2 months and am quite shocked at the actual cost of living,

My feeling is you need min 80,000 up to 100,000 baht a month for a decent life in BKK,and thats not including frequent bar girls.

That for me is very similar to my UK living costs though my UK costs include running a car and a good golf club membership.

Thats why I am going back,its going to be a sex starved and "probably" lonely life but overall I still feel feel my quality of life is better there,for the same cost as BKK.

I posted some months ago that I tried to live on 40,000 baht/month last time I was here and it was a miserable life,if my life is reduced to a crap room i do not want to live here..

This is not trolling, these are my genuine views.

Furthermore I agree this post/responses should be good advance reading for people considering coming here," I cant afford to go back now" has been said to me 3 times in 2 months.

Up to you as they say.

I think you forgot them (like me) who work in the oil off-shore business and sea men. Some of them (not me) are really high earners. Most from the 4th category work app. 6 month a year. Quite a lot of us live in the Pattaya area.

Yes quite a lot of balloon spotters around, cheap Charlie's, I don't know why they bother. Well okay I once spoke to one and he said: moving back to EU, noo way, cold and no young sexy girls to play with. Hard to argue with that, he-he.

I'm sure there are plenty in the top 1% here. Those only at say the top 10% in the US couldn't afford the kind of minimum living costs some say are needed here, they simply don't have enough income after taxes

40,000 Baht a month is enough for 1 month if you stay out of the bars and restaurants.

But why would you want to?

Because I am happily married and eat and drink at home and save a lot of money.

Fair enough, but whats the point of saving lots of money if you stay at home every night? I'm happily married too and enjoy going out to restaurants and bars with my wife, friends etc. I think I'd go mad if I stayed in drinking and eating just to save a bit more money.

40,000 Baht a month is enough for 1 month if you stay out of the bars and restaurants.

But why would you want to?

Because I am happily married and eat and drink at home and save a lot of money.

Fair enough, but whats the point of saving lots of money if you stay at home every night? I'm happily married too and enjoy going out to restaurants and bars with my wife, friends etc. I think I'd go mad if I stayed in drinking and eating just to save a bit more money.

+1, enjoy life when you have it, could be over tommorow you never know.

Been following this thread with interest,as I have been here 2 months and am quite shocked at the actual cost of living,

My feeling is you need min 80,000 up to 100,000 baht a month for a decent life in BKK,and thats not including frequent bar girls.

That for me is very similar to my UK living costs though my UK costs include running a car and a good golf club membership.

Thats why I am going back,its going to be a sex starved and "probably" lonely life but overall I still feel feel my quality of life is better there,for the same cost as BKK.

I posted some months ago that I tried to live on 40,000 baht/month last time I was here and it was a miserable life,if my life is reduced to a crap room i do not want to live here..

This is not trolling, these are my genuine views.

Furthermore I agree this post/responses should be good advance reading for people considering coming here," I cant afford to go back now" has been said to me 3 times in 2 months.

Thanks for posting, I take two important points from you......

1. It's more expensive to live here than many people expect

2. There ARE people trapped here.

This member is relatively new in Thailand, and he is now going back to the UK due to the cost of living.........here, in Thailand!!

If this topic prevents one person from making a serious miscalculation, then it's worth it. If the thread has to come round once a month then in my opinion so be it. I would suggest that Thaivisa is a good research tool for people thinking of relocating, and members who have been here for years should remember that.

housing loans - 40000

car loans - 20000

eat out - 10000

maid - 10000

brother -10000

sister - 10000

groceries - 30000

petrol - 10000

mother - 10000

massage - 10000

hospital -10000

entertainment - 20000

baby - 10000

Cut the maid, brother, sister and mother and you have the house for free. :D

why would you cut the maid? she actually does something.