China and Russia to vote in favor of Palestinian UN bid

News_Editor

China and Russia to vote in favor of Palestinian UN bid

2011-09-27 02:55:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

UNITED NATIONS (BNO NEWS) -- Both China and Russia, two of the five permanent members of the United Nations (UN) Security Council, will vote in favor of Palestine's request to become a UN member state, although the bid is unlikely to succeed.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday handed over an application to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to request a full UN membership for Palestine, which currently has observer status. Ban later sent the request to the President of the Security Council as per the provisions of the UN Charter.

Any application for a full membership is considered by the Security Council, which decides whether or not to recommend admission to the 193-member General Assembly. If it does give a recommendation, the Assembly would then have to adopt a resolution.

On Monday, Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi voiced Beijing's support to grant UN membership to the Palestinian people. "We support efforts to achieve the two-state solution through political negotiations so as to establish, on the basis of the 1967 borders, an independent Palestinian state that enjoys full sovereignty with East Jerusalem as its capital," Yang was quoted as saying by the DPA news agency.

In addition, the Interfax news agency cited a source from the Russian delegation at the UN General Assembly as saying that Russia will also support the Palestinian request. "If this issue is put to a vote, we will support it," the source said.

Both China and Russia are permanent members of the UN Security Council. However, the United States earlier said it would veto a Palestinian bid to seek a full UN membership and urged them to return to peace talks with Israel. If a veto is used by any of the permanent members, the UN Security Council would be unable to recommend admission to the General Assembly.

About 120 out of 193 countries have currently recognized the State of Palestine and those are seen as possible supporters if the UN General Assembly votes on the issue. If the UN Security Council resolution to recognize Palestine is approved, Palestine would become the 194th member of the United Nations.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-27

The Chinese and Russians are gambling. They should have abstained. From a purely political perspective, they each have regions and "possessions" with claims to independence just as legitimate if not more compelling than the issue of Palestine. This will come back to bite each of them on their posteriors. Hopefully, we are still alive at that time and the nukes haven't started flying about.

The Chinese and Russians are gambling. They should have abstained.

This will come back to bite each of them on their posteriors.

It appears China & Russia vote their way not the way they are instructed to vote.

If anything comes back to bite anyone it will be the USA as usual.

If anyone should have abstained it is the USA. Not preach democratic process then

try to stand in the way of it with threats of sanctions & a veto.

Russia & China are acting more democratically by casting a vote....Their vote.

Those that have a problem with Russia & China voting yea... are again not practicing what they preach.

It appears China & Russia vote their way not the way they are instructed to vote.

If anyone should have abstained it is the USA. Not preach democratic process then

Those that have a problem with Russia & China voting yea... are again not practicing what they preach.

Russia and China couldn't care less about acting democratically. As always they are acting in their own self interests to protect their standing in the Islamic countries and there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Scott
off-topic comment edited out

The USA doesn't have separtist factions claiming self determination within its borders. Both China and Russia do. China will now have to deal with the Tibet issue as it has annexed and illegally occupied Tibet.It has also given its opprssed muslim regions a basis upon which to demand their independence. It will be interesting to see how Russia deflects criticism of its brutal presence in Chechnya and the North Caucasus now.

Edited by Scott
deleted material edited out

The USA doesn't have separtist factions claiming self determination within its borders. Both China and Russia do. China will now have to deal with the Tibet issue as it has annexed and illegally occupied Tibet.It has also given its opprssed muslim regions a basis upon which to demand their independence. It will be interesting to see how Russia deflects criticism of its brutal presence in Chechnya and the North Caucasus now.

And they still voted Yeah. Seems they have more backbone than the US govt.

What has criticism of the Russians for Chechnya etc have to do with this, are they asking for a UN vote?

Well I would not agree but that is Off topic & a different subject as is the rest of your post.

If we were to air dirty laundry I would guess the US could stand with the best of them when it comes to

size of the laundry pile.

That aside....Russia & China vote their vote period.

I only wish our elected officials would do the same.

Not act as a proxy vote for others benefit gaining us ever more enemies.

It is often repeated here that the US does what they do because Israel is an ally.

Well if we acted more in line with what our forefathers instructed in regards to Foreign policy we would have many more allies.

Instead we kowtow to one & create more enemies

Edited by flying

It is often repeated here that the US does what they do because Israel is an ally.

Well if we acted more in line with what our forefathers instructed in regards to Foreign policy we would have many more allies.

China and Russia are looking out for the best interests of their respective countries. Inexplicably, the US is looking out for Israel's best interest while putting itself in jeopardy. This needs to end.

China and Russia are looking out for the best interests of their respective countries. Inexplicably, the US is looking out for Israel's best interest while putting itself in jeopardy. This needs to end.

And there you have the crux of the problem.

And they still voted Yeah. Seems they have more backbone than the US govt.

Russia and China don't care. They would just slaughter those who try to claim independence. For those who whine about how Israel treats the Palestinians and who praise Russia & China for their "backbone" you need to realise that if the Palestinians were China's or Russia's problem, there would be many more dead Palestinians today.

I am interested in knowing why China and Russia are in favor of a Palestinian state? What interest do they have in the matter? Do they sell much or do business with them?

Do they have a negative attitude toward Israel (I believe Russia does)? Is it a protest vote against the US position?

I am interested in knowing why China and Russia are in favor of a Palestinian state? What interest do they have in the matter? Do they sell much or do business with them?

Do they have a negative attitude toward Israel (I believe Russia does)? Is it a protest vote against the US position?

Please do not confuse favoring of a Palestinian state in the context of a two state solution with being in favor of this SPECIFIC (and doomed) UN resolution.

Edited by Jingthing

During the cold war, The USSR armed and trained the Arabs. After they lost the 1967 war, the US started backing Israel and the friendship continues to this day. :thumbsup:

Simply put, a key part of Russian and Chinese foreign policy is to cause problems with the USA. The USA is still in the lead and Russia and China want to catch up. As long as things go smoothly for the USA that will not happen. So their positions on North Korea or Iran might not be in the best interest of their own people in the short term, they believe it will be in the long run. The same with the Palestinians. Supporting them keeps the USA off balance and allows them (C & R) - in their minds - to catch up or at least not get left too far behind.

Thanks for the replies. I was asking as a more general question, not specifically about this resolution.

Russia seems to have an agenda that is easier to see than China. China remains an enigma to me. I know what both do is out of self-interest, but other than what Koheesti posted, I don't know what interest they have, especially the Chinese.

Thanks for the replies. I was asking as a more general question, not specifically about this resolution.

Russia seems to have an agenda that is easier to see than China. China remains an enigma to me. I know what both do is out of self-interest, but other than what Koheesti posted, I don't know what interest they have, especially the Chinese.

China is HEAVILY invested in the third world. Almost all of the third world buys into the Palestinian narrative of Israel being a manifestation of evil western imperialism, never mind evil eastern imperialism. Of course China will side with the third world countries they are friendly raping when they can. Pure PR!

China is famous for thinking long, long term. That is easier to do when you don't have to worry about elections every few years.

Ulysses G mentioned the Russians arming the Arabs. What is the current relationship of Russia to the Arabs in general and the Palestinian Arabs specifically? What is the relationship between Israel and Russia? Does Russia really have a horse in this raise or are they just part of the cheerleading squad?

Over one million Jews have left Russia and emigrated to Israel because of anti-Semitism.

Link? That specifically states this as the sole or even primary reason.

And it would also be interesting to know how long these Russians had been Jewish before deciding to emigrate to Israel. These sudden conversions may well be the reason why many of the Russians emigres have encountered so much difficulty being accepted into Israeli society. :whistling:

Russia is supplying weapons to both Syria and Hizbullah.

Link? That clearly states that the Russian govt. is directly supplying weapons to Hezbollah.

Of course, these links should be credible and not simply a propaganda video posted on youtube.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

The Chinese interest is probably to keep oil producers well disposed to them.

The Chinese interest is probably to keep oil producers well disposed to them.

I met and talked to Russian engineers building a steel plant in Iran in the mid 70's. They have had a presence there for years.

Simply put, a key part of Russian and Chinese foreign policy is to cause problems with the USA. The USA is still in the lead and Russia and China want to catch up.

China is HEAVILY invested in the third world.

These comments are not based in the least bit of reality.

When one considers that if China wanted to be in the lead all they need do is flood the world with a fraction of the US treasuries/US Debt they hold.

All they need to have done is stop extending credit to the US....end of game.

Cause problems for the USA ??

Facts suggest other wise.

If not for China the USD would be even more cooked than it is already.

Heavily invested in the 3rd world?

Facts suggest otherwise.

Edited by flying