True Hd

stgrhe

What's this about a new box from True?

Is everyone getting one? Or only HD subscribers?

I will not be getting one because I have Astro Byond, which now has 15 HD channels and sometimes also sends premiere league games in 3D. Next 3D broadcast is Man U vs. Chelsea.

Sounds like torture rather than enjoyment or is it to make up for their one dimensional play?

I am not sure whether Astro works in Pattaya or not but they work fine from Bangkok and south thereof. I live in Hua Hin and the signal quality is superb.

These guys can arrange an Astro subscription in Thailand as it cannot be purchased directly from Astro in Malaysia due to intellectual rights issues.

http://www.jsat.tv/astro.html

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to make any sense on just what is happening with these new channels?

I already have HD. and the Platinum package...do I get these new channels at my present subscription levels or are they xpecting an increase?

Their ads appear to suggest that you get a P.V.R with their new box....can't believe that !! Of course non of their TV ads or the monthly magazine have any english text on the subject. Perhaps they only want Thai viewerswhistling.gif

I signed up for the new HD set top box today. It will be delivered 28th November! Quite a wait. I already have a PVR so I asked about the new box. The rep. says that you have to buy your own external hard drive and plug that in to record movies. Sounds ok to me.

Regarding the new channels: I forgot to ask, but I think that they're only available to cable users.

Edited by bkkmick

Hmmmm... I'm on satellite too...they had my account number so I'm sure that fact was on their screen. Probably means that we only get the 3 HD channels that are currently available to satellite users.

Edited by bkkmick

Sat HD has major problems for True. It's all due to the extra bandwidth HD programming needs for a DSTV system. Also True has issues with the actual "dish" due to the limited amount of signal the dish can support. At the end of the day it's very unlikely DSTV customers will see additional HD viewing with their presently installed system. Just imagine the cost to both True, all new equipment to support additional HD channels and it's DSTV customers if they decide to purchase the needed equipment to support the additional HD channels. Doubt it will happen anytime soon if at all.

Well if the majority of users are on dstv, and by default the majority of potential new users would be as well, would it not make financial sense to ensure that this cash cow was made available to the majority?

Anyone with a connection to someone in the know at true to filter out the facts from the hype? Even in thai would be good enough.

Here are my questions: feel free to add your own:

1. The new hd box will be availble to both cable and sat describers? When?

2. Will this new box offer the same programs, channels and viewing standards for both types of subscribers.

3. You mention free box exchange and viewing for up to 4 months-after that what are the rates?

Well if the majority of users are on dstv, and by default the majority of potential new users would be as well, would it not make financial sense to ensure that this cash cow was made available to the majority?

Anyone with a connection to someone in the know at true to filter out the facts from the hype? Even in thai would be good enough.

Here are my questions: feel free to add your own:

1. The new hd box will be availble to both cable and sat describers? When?

2. Will this new box offer the same programs, channels and viewing standards for both types of subscribers.

3. You mention free box exchange and viewing for up to 4 months-after that what are the rates?

I don't have a connection to someone in the know at True, but from what I understand from someone who seems to know, while the boxes will come in this month, they will not be available to subscribers until the first quarter of next year (I am not a technical person, but something to do with coordinating the new boxes to their systems, or whatever).

I can't answer #2, but on #3 they are currently thinking about laying cable in the homes of those of us in their area who have dstv and want HD. If they can find room on someone's transponder they will jump at it, but so far no go. There is no question they are trying to deliver their new HD channels to as many of their subscribers as possible. Economically, they have to do it and they know it.

From wife, after she had a couple of long telecons with True.

- Boxes will come in October (or later?)

- 3 months free HD if customer requires weekend install

- 4 months free HD if customer accepts weekday install

Will it happen? No way to know.

edit: this is for dish, not cable

Edited by klikster

I'll see your one weekday and raise you one day business leave.

Knowing how their 'within 4 hours' give or take 'got lost, bad traffic or needed a nap, why can't we just take our own boxes into our nearest truevisions shop and exchange it?

Edited by bkkjames

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the above posts I gave them a call. I live in the Ladprao area and they are expanding the cable system in this area since they cannot compete with TOT's phone lines so the cable allows them to provide HD TV and the Higher speed internet (up to the 100Mb).

All this rain has caused many signal interruptions so I decided to switch over. That was 2 weeks ago and now I am enjoying free HD for the next 4 months. They give you the new HD boxes even if you have the old CRT TVs (I have one of both). There are settings to adjust for both. Sadly the PVR is not working yet; new software will be added 'soon'. You cannot record either or use the On Demand service. Again, it will be 'sometime soon.'

There is a user manual in Thai and English and there is an HDMI cable supplied with each of the Samsung units. The installation crew had left it on Thai but a call to True and I was guided through what to do in a very clear and concise manner. The talked me through all the different video and audio settings. Excellent service.

The HD channels look and sound wonderful and it's great to watch football on my 46' screen without the players turning into blurs or split into lines as they run. And to also see the full picture! Sadly the old channels are just the same visually but the sound quality is definitely better. Annoyingly you cannot choose wide zoom viewing option only a full stretch option.

Now, can I persuade myself to sign up for the HD channels or try the 100Mb internet package...

Hi.

I did some searching on the net and found this:

Although the new HD channels are only available to cable subscribers at the moment, TrueVisions said its satellite subscribers will be able to receive the service starting in 2012: “Though the new service remains limited to subscribers to the fibre-optic cable network [currently], it will also be available to satellite customers next year,” confirmed chief commercial officer Ongard Prapakmol.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/2011071813711/thailands-truevisions-rolls-out-hd-tv-in-phuket.html

Nana

Is the quality really HD?

I notice that here in the middle east, the HD sport channels are excellent

but other offerings are barely DVD quality and some of the Nat Geo

programmes display as a smaller screen in the middle of my 40" TV. :bah:

There is still not enough material to feed these HD channels.

Hi.

I did some searching on the net and found this:

Although the new HD channels are only available to cable subscribers at the moment, TrueVisions said its satellite subscribers will be able to receive the service starting in 2012: "Though the new service remains limited to subscribers to the fibre-optic cable network [currently], it will also be available to satellite customers next year," confirmed chief commercial officer Ongard Prapakmol.

http://www.rapidtvne...-in-phuket.html

Nana

That is interesting I am on Satellite I signed up last week and got a date for connection of the 18th of November which was confirmed by sms and it is showing for connection on my account on their INTERNET site also there ads. have changed on the TV before it said it was for cable TV but now it does ot stipulate any service I will have to wait and see

PS I do get good quality HD programmes from torrents from the UK TV networks. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm... I'm on satellite too...they had my account number so I'm sure that fact was on their screen. Probably means that we only get the 3 HD channels that are currently available to satellite users.

They called me yesterday to tell me they will be delivering my new HD box next month.

I'm on satellite and don't subscribe to HD, and I don't even have a HD telly. They said it doesn't matter, all existing subscribers are getting the new boxes and 3 months free HD service.

So a month on from the promised delivery of the new hd box and today told "sorry for your condo no have, but will deliver new box late december".

Somehow not suprised by this - just wish they would stop flogging it at every opportunity if TRUE cannot live up to their promises.

They called me yesterday to tell me they will be delivering my new HD box next month.

I'm on satellite and don't subscribe to HD, and I don't even have a HD telly. They said it doesn't matter, all existing subscribers are getting the new boxes and 3 months free HD service.

Same. I received a call today in Chiang Mai. They will install the new box on Nov 25 and supposedly 4 mths HD Channels.

• 3 weeks later...

We got a call from True and ended up with four months free HD which they installed in the week. The sports channels are good, granted, but that's not enough for an extra 500 Baht a month they will eventually charge me (I'm on Gold, cable). The HD movie channels (HBO & Star) show the same movies as the non HD channels. The only extra movie channel is Fox Family Movies (I can hardly contain myself).

Apparently you have to keep the box turned on all the time. The wife is not happy with this, citing cost, waste of energy and potential hazard if house unattended. I agree with her. We turned the box off and now it works only 50% of the time when switched back on. It seems to only want to warm up once a day. We're fed up with it already. We don't even want it if it is free. True are returning for the second time tomorrow to reinstate our old box.

By the way, I note the HD box is made by Samsung. Sky also uses Samsung and there are some right horror stories about these boxes in the Amazon review section.

It does seem to be a proper HD picture for the 3x HD channels available for Sat users, no idea why the building here uses the satellite rather than cable as they've been trying to sell the 100mbit cable internet for over 3 months now.

Any guesses if 2012 means the start or end of 2012 for the full 12 channel package? :whistling:

Can someone help me please?

I signed up for the new HD decoder at the beginning of October and, after receiving confirmation that the new box would be delivered on 17th November, sat back and waited. Lo and behold, I was contacted by True Visions on a.m. 17th to say that due to the floods the technicians would arrive p.m. and not a.m. as previously stated. Surprised? Sure was. Technicians came and installed the new box and I was very happy with the HD picture quality on the 3 available channels; 120, 121 and 122. I have a relatively new TCL 40" LCD TV and the match between the two pieces of equipment seemed fine.

No sooner than the installers had left I got the first glimpse of a problem. Tuned to channel 121 (movies) and the sound disappeared totally although picture was still perfect. Changed to another channel and still no sound - no sound anywhere after switching to 121. Switched off decoder and TV, turned on again and sound full restored to all channels bar 121. Once again, after selecting 121 sound was lost to all other channels. <deleted> over?

Called the installers back, arrived day before yesterday and they fitted the old type decoder as a temporary measure pending the arrival of the new type decoder from Bangkok. The old type decoder worked fine with sound on all channels including 121. The installers arrived back this afternoon and fitted a new decoder. Everything worked fine with sound on all channels including 121. Two hours later, yes you have guessed it, no sound on channel 121! A switch to channel 121 is the kiss of death for the sound system - all channels go dead. Sound is restored after turning off and switching on again but not for 121. A double <deleted>!!!

I am completely baffled - can anyone shed some light on what may be going on? Many thanks.

We got a call from True and ended up with four months free HD which they installed in the week. The sports channels are good, granted, but that's not enough for an extra 500 Baht a month they will eventually charge me (I'm on Gold, cable). The HD movie channels (HBO & Star) show the same movies as the non HD channels. The only extra movie channel is Fox Family Movies (I can hardly contain myself).

Apparently you have to keep the box turned on all the time. The wife is not happy with this, citing cost, waste of energy and potential hazard if house unattended. I agree with her. We turned the box off and now it works only 50% of the time when switched back on. It seems to only want to warm up once a day. We're fed up with it already. We don't even want it if it is free. True are returning for the second time tomorrow to reinstate our old box.

By the way, I note the HD box is made by Samsung. Sky also uses Samsung and there are some right horror stories about these boxes in the Amazon review section.

OK We've given up. Even if we got our old box back we'd still lose it again next year when everyone has to have the new ones. I did learn that True are pulling the old inertia selling trick. If you don't want the HD pack after the free trial, you actually have to tell them or else you'll be linked into a new contract and charged automatically.

Well today was supposed to be the day they were to turn up with the new box but they didn't show up.