True Hd

stgrhe

OK We've given up. Even if we got our old box back we'd still lose it again next year when everyone has to have the new ones. I did learn that True are pulling the old inertia selling trick. If you don't want the HD pack after the free trial, you actually have to tell them or else you'll be linked into a new contract and charged automatically.

You obviously haven't been with them for long. They cannot do this and have never done so. (The same goes with the introduction of Platinum channels 4-5 years back, they were made free for half a year)

It does seem to be a proper HD picture for the 3x HD channels available for Sat users, no idea why the building here uses the satellite rather than cable as they've been trying to sell the 100mbit cable internet for over 3 months now.

Any guesses if 2012 means the start or end of 2012 for the full 12 channel package? :whistling:

There's no more bandwidth available on their satellite provider, Thaicom 5. They have to wait until someone gives it up and have to win the bid. I guess even True themselves doesn't know when are they getting it but they are expanding their cable networks quite extensively especially in other provinces.

I was offered a free change from dish to cable a few months back (in Chiang Mai) but that is because I am already using their cable internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a true HD plus box installed (satellite)Nov 30th - after a couple of no shows/ "we have no boxes" etc..2 smart young fella's pitched up and showed me it working,on asking a couple of questions I was told "instructions are in the box" and they made a hasty retreat .. Now the main reason I decided to go for the "free" offer was the PVR (recording ) function ..I rarely watch tv live and my old box was linked to a hard disc recorder .. Well despite "how to do recording" in the instructions and nice shiny record buttons on the screen it did not work "PVR not available" .. on checking with the local Truevision I was told "oh yes maybe available sometime next year".

So I now have a HD box with 3 HD channels (Gold Package) 1)Thai reality TV - no interest 2) Movie channel showing old movies already seen- no interest 3) Soccer channel ok of interest for the early matches at the weekend ..Traded off with the rest of my viewing ruined as I cannot record anything - my old recorder is not compatible even for "normal" channels.

I have contacted customer services by e mail explaining the situation asking to have the HD box replaced back to my old box ..response "please be informed it is not possible to change the box" .. we are now involved in a bit of a dispute !

My advice , if you have signed up or thinking about it DON'T ! wait until it is fully functional -1st quarter next year according to Truevisions customer services , but will it really happen then ?

I have two subscriptions from Truevisions. One goes to my Dreambox, the other to the generic Truevisions receiver.

My Missus decided she wants HD channels and called True. They arrived today with two receivers, claiming they must change both receivers.

I refused because I want to keep my Dreambox and not this True garbage equipment. BTW the new receivers were Samsung HD S200S. I googled this receiver but couldn't find anything about it. Seems to be some outdated junk.

So I asked the technicians if I can keep one subscription as it is (Dreambox) and just change the other. Their answer was NO. Then I asked if I can record the program on the new box. The answer was again NO. I asked can we try and see if the new decoder works in my Dreambox and if not, revert to the previous setting. The answer was DON'T KNOW.

I didn't want to take the risk so I sent them home with their boxes.

I then called Truevisions and asked for some technical information about the new box. They promides to send me by e-mail sometimes next week.

Has anyone experienced this new decoding system for the new HD receivers? Is it again Irdeto?

My Dreambox is the model 8000HD and should be able to handle the Truevision's signal, but the decoding might be a problem.

I had my HD box installed yesterday and had the same problem no sound on 121 but OK on all the others strange. I found the answer though if you had the audio setting on PCM not Dolby then you get the sound back on 121.

The picture is obviously good on the HD channels but i think the other pictures are not as good as my old box.

We have had a call and they want to change our box for the new one with 4 months free hd ,but when they changed my box a couple of years ago ,i lost the abilaty to find what programms were on for up to a day in advance,so we had our old box back ,to be honest i am happy the way things are ,we have the gold package but apart from nat geo ,history and the news channels hardly watch the thing ,anything i want to see i download from the internet ,get the programs 6 months before here and all the latest series from Britain.

IN hd if i want it B)

I have two subscriptions from Truevisions. One goes to my Dreambox, the other to the generic Truevisions receiver.

My Missus decided she wants HD channels and called True. They arrived today with two receivers, claiming they must change both receivers.

I refused because I want to keep my Dreambox and not this True garbage equipment. BTW the new receivers were Samsung HD S200S. I googled this receiver but couldn't find anything about it. Seems to be some outdated junk.

So I asked the technicians if I can keep one subscription as it is (Dreambox) and just change the other. Their answer was NO. Then I asked if I can record the program on the new box. The answer was again NO. I asked can we try and see if the new decoder works in my Dreambox and if not, revert to the previous setting. The answer was DON'T KNOW.

I didn't want to take the risk so I sent them home with their boxes.

I then called Truevisions and asked for some technical information about the new box. They promides to send me by e-mail sometimes next week.

Has anyone experienced this new decoding system for the new HD receivers? Is it again Irdeto?

My Dreambox is the model 8000HD and should be able to handle the Truevision's signal, but the decoding might be a problem.

New system will be NDS ( videoguard ) look here.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/truevisions.html

HD or not really HD, that is the question.

Can someone with the gumption have fun with it?

Soccer-tease once said, "it's not the size of the ball that matters, only how close you are to it when they score"

Hypocrates once stated, "if it's too good to be true, then it is true."

Just had two new Samsung HD Plus boxes come from Truevisions to replace the Humax HD ones we were using before.

Technician (if that is indeed the term for this person) was clueless when setting it up, so I pretty much did it all myself.

Not initially impressed. I had decent 5.1 sound for the HBO HD movie channel and the other channels were at a decent volume with the Humax, now if I want the movie channel in Dolby 5.1 the other HD channels are whisper quiet. If I change it to PCM output the movie channels are all in stereo which is pointless in HD and with my system.

I will continue watching it occasionally when the football is on but apart from that I am sticking to my 1080p and 720p downloads and watching them over my network in DTS Surround or DTS Master Audio with my HDi Dune.

Another substandard product from True unfortunately.

Is the quality really HD?

I notice that here in the middle east, the HD sport channels are excellent

but other offerings are barely DVD quality and some of the Nat Geo

programmes display as a smaller screen in the middle of my 40" TV. :bah:

There is still not enough material to feed these HD channels.

This happens with ASTRO also, on non HD channels... but on the satellite remote control, there is a button to change the picture settings... not sure if True's remote would have the same button or not... It's a bit of a pain when you switch channels to have to reset every time! :(

This actually started after an upgrade... the tech guys here, say nothing they can do about it.... :unsure:

Astro has 16 HD channels, now... and comes direct from Satellite... Quality is excellent, :thumbsup: except during heavy cloud or rain....

Here's a recap of True's current pricing details for their HD offerings... and yes, the satellite systems are limited to 3 channels, while the cable system can receive 11 or so.... Still mostly junk, IMHO...

It sounds like the PVR capacity won't be added to the HD boxes by firmware upgrade until sometime (supposedly early) in 2012. And it looks like the user is supposed to provide their own USB hard drive to connect to the USB port on the back of the new HD boxes.

Apparently you have to keep the box turned on all the time. The wife is not happy with this, citing cost, waste of energy and potential hazard if house unattended. I agree with her. We turned the box off and now it works only 50% of the time when switched back on. It seems to only want to warm up once a day. We're fed up with it already. We don't even want it if it is free. True are returning for the second time tomorrow to reinstate our old box.

Not sure which boxes you have (new and old), but my old box took some time to boot, as does the new one.

We turned the box off ..

My new box activates about as fast as the old one when "turned on" with the remote. We did have a power outage and the boot time on the new box is a bit longer than the old one. But "turned off" and "power disconnected" are not quite the same.

programmes display as a smaller screen in the middle of my 40" TV. bah.gif

This happens with ASTRO also, on non HD channels... but on the satellite remote control, there is a button to change the picture settings... not sure if True's remote would have the same button or not... It's a bit of a pain when you switch channels to have to reset every time! sad.gif

This actually started after an upgrade... the tech guys here, say nothing they can do about it.... unsure.gif

Astro has 16 HD channels, now... and comes direct from Satellite... Quality is excellent, thumbsup.gif except during heavy cloud or rain....

Astro all the way there is NO comparison!! It’s just unlucky if you live up north and cant receive it . . . . ! If you are a serious TV viewer there is nothing that comes remotely close to Astro HD. Couple that with a decent ADSL connection and the world of 1080p downloads is at your fingertips . . . . .! What more could the serious TV buff want . . . ?

Edited by ianwrd4

programmes display as a smaller screen in the middle of my 40" TV. bah.gif

This happens with ASTRO also, on non HD channels... but on the satellite remote control, there is a button to change the picture settings... not sure if True's remote would have the same button or not... It's a bit of a pain when you switch channels to have to reset every time! sad.gif

This actually started after an upgrade... the tech guys here, say nothing they can do about it.... unsure.gif

Astro has 16 HD channels, now... and comes direct from Satellite... Quality is excellent, thumbsup.gif except during heavy cloud or rain....

Astro all the way there is NO comparison!! It’s just unlucky if you live up north and cant receive it . . . . ! If you are a serious TV viewer there is nothing that comes remotely close to Astro HD. Couple that with a decent ADSL connection and the world of 1080p downloads is at your fingertips . . . . .! What more could the serious TV buff want . . . ?

Not sure how far up north the Astro signal goes... (BKK ? I think I have read) But here on Samui, I had them put in a 90 cm dish.. after a few months, less fade out on HD .... they can go to 120 cm, if memory serves... the local installer thought that would be over kill.... but furter north the bigger 120 cm dish should be better, I think.

As for HD stations, sound is better too, so if HBO HD plays the same movie as reg HBO, you really hear the difference... (Have mine set up through stereo system) ... better sound equals better movie! wai.gif

We have had our box fitted and to be honest i am NOT impressed ,you can only get 20 favourites listed and its so fidely to go to the channel you require we have hardly used it ,although i must say on the gold package bbc knowledge is good ,unfortunatly we have lost hbo . marks out of 10 3 maybe 4 wheras my old box 9/10 not immpressed at all ,its just the old box that sky in Britain had problems with ,true ,true to fashion have boobed yet again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just got my box changed after a call yesterday and have 3 new channels HD quality. Although one thing I was curious about was the guy said if we pay 8,000 baht one time for the box we wouldnt have to pay for our subscription every month so basically it sounded like a one time fee then every month free... although this seemed to good to be true. Im wondering is this legit or just a way for them to get more money?

Also are there only 3 channels available? If you want the extra channels i seen on their website it looks like 3 movie channels and a bunch of other HD channels. Im mostly interested in the HD for football and right now I just have one channel for HD sports.

Well, if the guy who dropped the box off really meant "subscription" fee I expect he may have been in the side business of providing pirated subscription cards...beware. And if he meant the monthly maintenance fee maybe he meant you would be buying the box instead which means no monthly maintenance fee...but that would also mean if the box broke you would be on the hook to repair/replace it yourself...I would assume you could also get your box deposit back since you own the box....but then again, I thought TrueVisions was moving toward only renting its boxes versus also selling them. If I was you I would confirm the offer by first calling the True service center number...it may indeed be legit and a new offer True hasn't advertised so well.

• 3 months later...

Also are there only 3 channels available? If you want the extra channels i seen on their website it looks like 3 movie channels and a bunch of other HD channels. Im mostly interested in the HD for football and right now I just have one channel for HD sports.

On the satellite service, yes, there are only thee HD channels - Truesport HD, HBO HD + one other that nobody watches. Truesport HD is normally the HD version of Truesport 1.

• 1 month later...