TrueVisions To Increase Number Of HD Channels To 17 On July 16

webfact

TrueVisions to increase number of HD channels to 17 on July 16

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- TrueVisions, Thailand's biggest pay TV operator, will increase its number of high-definition channels to 17 starting on July 16, it announced Thursday.

Its announced that its Platinum-package members will be upgraded to Platinum HD to watch all 17 HD channels for free. It also introduces five new HD channels which include History HD, Sundance HD, ESPN HD, KBS World HD and HD Showcase. The programmes start 16 July 2012.

TrueVisions said it would also broadcast London Olympics 2012 live in HD system plus Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound systems.

TrueVisions will beam data to receivers of its customers on July 15 to upgrade the system and re-arrange the number of channels to cope with the new HD channels.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-28

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this just for cable user's and not those that can only use a satellite dish as my understanding is that if you have cable you currently get 11 HD channels where as with satellite we only get 3 of which 1 is Thai and what about gold subscribers what do they get !!!!

Is this just for cable user's and not those that can only use a satellite dish as my understanding is that if you have cable you currently get 11 HD channels where as with satellite we only get 3 of which 1 is Thai and what about gold subscribers what do they get !!!!

Would like to know as well. Currently satellite is the only option for us and love to get access to all HD channels as well.

• Like 1

Would like to know as well. Currently satellite is the only option for us and love to get access to all HD channels as well.

Forget it unless U R one of True's 11 million customers left in the dark by GMMZ.....

Its announced that its Platinum-package members will be upgraded to Platinum HD to watch all 17 HD channels for free.

Is this saying us Platinum folks (I'm on cable) will now get 17 HD channels without having to pay extra for the HD channels? It does say "free" at the end of the statement. That would be nice indeed. If true (not pun intended), maybe TrueVisions has been having a hard time in getting/keeping as many Platinum package subscribers as desired and free HD channels included in the Platinum package would boost the number of Platinum package subscribers. However, maybe I'm just reading it wrong or the article was worded wrong.

Just went to the TrueVisions News page and sure enough it reads folks on the Platinum package will be getting the 17 HD channels for free. For folks on other packages like the Gold package there will be an additional charge to get some HD channels. Here's the more detailed article on the TrueVisions web site. Link.

Just went to the TrueVisions News page and sure enough it reads folks on the Platinum package will be getting the 17 HD channels for free. For folks on other packages like the Gold package there will be an additional charge to get some HD channels. Here's the more detailed article on the TrueVisions web site. Link.

Doesn't say that only cable users get the extra channels. Does this mean us satellite uses will finally get all the HD channel as well?

Doesn't say that only cable users get the extra channels. Does this mean us satellite uses will finally get all the HD channel as well?

I couldn't say...I think before the folks on TrueVisions satellite where limited to 3 HD channels but that may have changed. Here's a English language link to the TrueVisions HD webpage which shows 3 HD channels for folks on satellite and 12 HD channels for folks on cable....the page does not yet reflect the late breaking news about going to 17 HD channels. Cable and satellite subscribers use different HD boxes due to the different transmission frequencies/technology involved. Link

But if I had to guess right now I won't be surprised if the new channels will only apply to those folks on cable...but that's just a guess....all I know is what we have read so far which lacks the detail as to whether the new channels will be available on cable and satellite. Excluding whatever costs TrueVisions may have to pay other companies to transmit their channels, I expect it costs TrueVisions little to nothing to add channels to its cable system which it owns and maintains; but adding HD channels to its satellite transmissions probably costs them money as they would probably have to pay the Thaicom 5 satellite folks more money to transmit additional channels, especially high bandwidth HD channels. But lets hope there is some expansion to the number of HD channels transmitted on their satellite system also.

Edited by Pib

I couldn't say...I think before the folks on TrueVisions satellite where limited to 3 HD channels but that may have changed. Here's a English language link to the TrueVisions HD webpage which shows 3 HD channels for folks on satellite and 12 HD channels for folks on cable....the page does not yet reflect the late breaking news about going to 17 HD channels. Cable and satellite subscribers use different HD boxes due to the different transmission frequencies/technology involved. Link

But if I had to guess right now I won't be surprised if the new channels will only apply to those folks on cable...but that's just a guess....all I know is what we have read so far which lacks the detail as to whether the new channels will be available on cable and satellite. Excluding whatever costs TrueVisions may have to pay other companies to transmit their channels, I expect it costs TrueVisions little to nothing to add channels to its cable system which it owns and maintains; but adding HD channels to its satellite transmissions probably costs them money as they would probably have to pay the Thaicom 5 satellite folks more money to transmit additional channels, especially high bandwidth HD channels. But lets hope there is some expansion to the number of HD channels transmitted on their satellite system also.

Yep, still limited to 3 HD channels. I did read somewhere that satellite users will get the same as cable sometime this year.

Guess we will find out on July 16 if it happens!

We have the satellite service and have received a letter, in Thai, saying to have a new PVR box installed and to pay 3,000 baht for the hard disc. Also on the TV yesterday there was a message in English about this and saying the current PVR may not function properly with the new service. However, a call to True has established that there is no need to change the PVR until we have a HD TV unless we have problems recording programmes.

Will wait to find out!

Why oh why are we discussing HD channels..

Maybe it would be good of TRUE to do something about their pathetic, repeat, repeat, repeat programming,,and their exhorbitant charges for this pathetic REPEAT programming.

If subscribers calculated howmuch they SHOULD be paying for their servcie based on the number of times programming is repeated they would realsiehow much of a RIP OFF True is...truly...

• Like 1

TrueVisions said it would also broadcast London Olympics 2012 live in HD system plus Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound systems.

Does anyone know which channel(s) TrueVisions will broadcast the Olympics on? ESPN? Star Sports? Trace? A separate/dedicated/new channel? And which channel for HD?

I hate press releases which raise more questions than they answer.

• Like 1

Yep, still limited to 3 HD channels. I did read somewhere that satellite users will get the same as cable sometime this year.

Guess we will find out on July 16 if it happens!

cable and satellite get the channels, thank god free period includes 10 for gold so as above, wait and see.

- Gold package members purchasing HD packages now can watch many channels in the Platinum package with 17 HD channels free for six months.

- New Gold package members can purchase the HD package and watch 10 HD channels with a monthly fee of 150 baht. HD Showcase, Reality HD, HBO HD, TrueSport HD, True Sport HD 2, National Geographic HD, Discovery HD World, Fox Movies Premium HD, AXN HD and TNN HD

As yet doesn't discriminate between cable/satellite ...

for the price you pay each month, everything should be in HD... if you see the blocky technology for their non HD... but what the heck...there is virtually no competition here in thailand if you want english speaking TV and not those 1001 thai or other language channels crap floating around

• Like 1

True Corp is banking on their hard core fiber suscribers base and not their satelite based customers thus the difference in services. According to an internal memo circulating True it's their belief and correctly so that at least 60% of the satty dishes one sees while traveling around Thailand are watching programming by illegal means. Ture seems all but unable to stop the theft. Installation of fiber in rural areas, even in parts of Bangkok is extreamly expensive not to mention supporting such a system.

What gets me is that True expects satty customers to pay the same amount for less service than one on a fiber connection. I mean where is the supposed consumer protection guru not to mention the supposed government watch dog guy? Looks like two tier pricing is starting to get to the Thai community as well! Good on em!

I live in Baanamphur and I can only use the true satelite with only ONE watchable HD channel (HBO)

There is NO HOPE IN HELL that the system will ever broadcast HD with the current satelite as aparently its running at max bandwidth with no more usable HD transponders.

ONLY hope for DSTV users is if True launch a new sattelite. I dont beleive they will do that, even though the owners of True are making truck loads of money into thair back pockets.

Perhaps if they cut down on the bucket loads of football stations they could improove the system, but there must be some morons theree that just love football !!!

On channel 102 they had a rolling text some days ago , informing about some work to take place on thuesday this week. It also informed about the HD channels to come on both SATELITE and cable tv from july 16. With no extra to pay for platinium subscribers , gold subscribers who already have the HD pacage can acording to the text watch all channels free for 6 months. Let`s just hope and pray.

When are they going to start some new programs? I am getting cheesed off with all the repeat Films. Some of them must have been shown at least +6 times this year.

Maybe it would be good of TRUE to do something about their pathetic, repeat, repeat, repeat programming,,and their exhorbitant charges for this pathetic REPEAT programming.

If subscribers calculated howmuch they SHOULD be paying for their servcie based on the number of times programming is repeated they would realsiehow much of a RIP OFF True is...truly...

No one is forcing you to have True! Sure, the repeats are annoying but for that blame the channels not the service that carries them. I'm sure True would be happy if HBO, Starworld, Nat Geo, Discovery etc etc repeated fewer programmes. You can always switch channels if you've seen the programme. For the great sport coverage alone I'm happy with what I get.

• Like 1

I have had the Gold package for some time now and the local True shop is saying I have to buy the new box for 3-4,000 bhat otherwise I can't continue with the Gold package. They don't say the programmes can't be received on the new box they are actually saying that I can not buy the package once the change of boxes comes into effect.

Does anybody have any info on this.

I am not bothered about HD and am happy to have to watch the moronic football matches in normal viewing format.

I have had the Gold package for some time now and the local True shop is saying I have to buy the new box for 3-4,000 bhat otherwise I can't continue with the Gold package. They don't say the programmes can't be received on the new box they are actually saying that I can not buy the package once the change of boxes comes into effect.

I am not bothered about HD and am happy to have to watch the moronic football matches in normal viewing format.

I have Gold as well and my (old) box suddenly stopped working, so I phoned them up. A man from True came round the next day and replaced the box with, presumably, the new HD box. I wasn't charged, although I suppose it might turn up on my next monthly bill!

No one is forcing you to have True! Sure, the repeats are annoying but for that blame the channels not the service that carries them. I'm sure True would be happy if HBO, Starworld, Nat Geo, Discovery etc etc repeated fewer programmes. You can always switch channels if you've seen the programme. For the great sport coverage alone I'm happy with what I get.

there are no such thing as repeats - what you have now is "convenience scheduling" yup that's right somehow this has been written into the benefits column for your money...

in this day and age of PVR they're going have to put a new spin on it tho...

I have Gold and they called me recently and advised they needed to upgrade my box.

Certainly no charge and they have given a free trial of HD, also it's a far better picture on the standard channels.

Having lunch at a friends home. He's True customer.

Two things:

1. Banner across the TV clearly states that ASN (All Sports Network) will resume on channel 106 starting on 1 July 2012.

2. On another channel a banner clearly states that on 16 July True, both CATV and sat systems will begin showing 17 HD channels. Banner also states starting on 15 July 2012 instructions to "upgrade" your system to the new channels will be explained.

Does this mean I'm going to have to eat my words? It's looking more and more like it!

Does this mean I am going to have to once again buy into True? Yea, most likely

Funny what a little bit of competition, (GMMZ), will do to wake up a company!