My Truemove-H Impressions

muratremix

I've switched my postpaid TrueMove 3G line to Truemove-H recently. MNP was a pain in the ass, I had one day outage due to stupidity of the system. I received an sms after transfer is accepted saying it will happen in 23 september. On 23 september, I noticed "No Signal" logo in my old sim so I put new sim card. It didn't work! After my wife talk to True service, they told me it can take up to 24 hours! Well, no service during 24 hours and it still wasn't working on 24 september. We had to visit them personally and get a new sim to fix the problem. After having received new sim, my number started working in an hour. 3G in two hours.

I've been using Truemove-H since then and speed is much better than Truemove 3G. It uses old True 2G network where there is no Truemove-h signal or Truemove 3G signal. Thats correct, it can also use Truemove 3G network if it is avaible! So coverage must be better than expected. I often see edge in Dtac and AIS during my trips in Bangkok but Truemove always gives me 3G (Except underground in MRT).

So far I'm happy with Truemove-h and recommend it to people who still use good old truemove 3g.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its a seamless switch. It uses true-h wherever available, if not, back to TrueMove 3G, if not, Back to legacy True 2G (Edge)

Ok that makes sense.

So how do you know whether you're on H or plain old 3G? The symbol is a 3G symbol on my phone regardless, I believe.

What kind of speed test speeds do you get to Bangkok (only interested in mobile network throughput, not whatever the international speeds of the day are)?

When I'm on True-H, Operator name is True-H and I have 3G icon in my iPhone 4.

For old True, I get True as operator name and 3G.

For the legacy True, I have True and E icon for Edge, o icon for 2G (10kbit??) connection (o icon where there is no edge, in smaller cities and villages)

Same experience. The MNP sucks, but then CAT is in the loop for the migration so the switching can be annoying ( i was out of service for 1hour + )

In terms of signal, its great, i drive home from bkk down motorway, using Skype on my mobile, and i only get a drop ( this is data call, not normal voice ) when crossing Sri Nakarin rd.

Switching between True Move H - 3G, True Move-3G(trial sys) and legacy 2G is seamless. you dont even notice.

I am getting on average 8 MB download, 2mb upload and about 40ms ping. Peak download was 14MB/s

overall very happy, and use it alot. (aircard on laptop, and sim in iphone )

Edited by skippybangkok

When I'm on True-H, Operator name is True-H and I have 3G icon in my iPhone 4.

Thanks for the info. Guess we don't have True H in Chiang Mai yet...

I used 3G last april when i was in Chaingmai on holidays. It was the trial network ( UMTS , not HPSA+ ). I would assume the old umts sites (BKK / chiangmai ) would be first on the list for upgrade. If Samui has it, i really doubt that chiangmai does not. Maybe check.

Can you confirm that you needed to go thru the MNP process to change your Truemove 3G plan to a Truemove H plan?

Is the cost of Truemove-H different from their regular 3G plans?... I have the True 599 baht unlimited 3G data plan now...

http://truemove-h.com/mnp_whatis.aspx

The truemove-h.com site has NO English translation option and all the text is embedded in jpgs so Google translate won't work :annoyed:

Edited by sfokevin

Can you confirm that you needed to go thru the MNP process to change your Truemove 3G plan to a Truemove H plan?

Is the cost of Truemove-H different from their regular 3G plans?... I have the True 599 baht unlimited 3G data plan now...

The truemove-h.com site has NO English translation option and all the text is embedded in jpgs so Google translate won't work :annoyed:

You need MNP proccess. I did it, there is no painless easy way to switch.

You need MNP proccess. I did it, there is no painless easy way to switch.

I always assumed that the MNP process was to move from one carrier (Ex. DTac/AIS) to another carrier (Truemove) :ermm:

And did they give you the same plan pricing you had before?

Edited by sfokevin

I always assumed that the MNP process was to move from one carrier (Ex. DTac/AIS) to another carrier (Truemove) :ermm:

And did they give you the same plan pricing you had before?

Thats the shit.... cause of the hutch take over, True Move H is considered as another carrier just like DTAC/AIS/TOT, even though True is the share holder.

That why when my wife moved from Hutch, there was no MNP issue.

Appologies, i do not really look at the price plan too much, as i am very much a receiver of calls, dont make alot. I got the 600 baht+ plan for my iPhone, and same for the aircard SIM.

iPhone 3GS wont have dazzling speeds, but the Aircard is cool !

Edited by skippybangkok

The Truemove H plans, at least those which can be directly compared with existing Truemove post-paid plans, are ~ 15 - 20% more expensive, or really 15 - 20% less featured.

For example:

Old Truemove iPhone Free Size: 599 baht: 300 min/300 SMS/50 MMS/3 GB fair use

New Truemove H iPhone Free Size: 599 baht: 300 min/0 SMS/0 MMs/2 GB fair use

300 free SMSes on the old plan now cost (I think) now cost 375 baht ( 300 at 1.25 per) and 50 MMSes now cost 150 baht (50 at 3 baht per). Not a big deal perhaps, if you don't SMS/MMS. But Truemove H obviously wants to increase the ARPU.

The Truemove H plans, at least those which can be directly compared with existing Truemove post-paid plans, are ~ 15 - 20% more expensive, or really 15 - 20% less featured.

For example:

300 free SMSes on the old plan now cost (I think) now cost 375 baht ( 300 at 1.25 per) and 50 MMSes now cost 150 baht (50 at 3 baht per). Not a big deal perhaps, if you don't SMS/MMS. But Truemove H obviously wants to increase the ARPU.

Lol,

First the farang community is complaining about Thailand being a banana republic with 3G+ instead of 4G..... and now complaining about the price. Thailand has some of the lowest ARPU's in the world, try using a Telstra 3G plan.

I dont mind the extra price, its a choice. Can stay with 2G network el-cheapo, or pay the premium for 3G. I have plenty of friends who own a 900 baht phone, and done give a hoot about 3G / mobile internet..... and are happy on 2G.

Thats how the world works :)

Edited by skippybangkok

For example:

Lol,

First the farang community is complaining about Thailand being a banana republic with 3G+ instead of 4G..... and now complaining about the price. Thailand has some of the lowest ARPU's in the world, try using a Telstra 3G plan.

I dont mind the extra price, its a choice. Can stay with 2G network el-cheapo, or pay the premium for 3G. I have plenty of friends who own a 900 baht phone, and done give a hoot about 3G / mobile internet..... and are happy on 2G.

Thats how the world works :)

My post was an observation in answer to a question rather than a complaint.

I agree that Truemove H appears to be offering more value (more 3G coverage/better data rates, better 2G coverage w/ expansion in NE, perhaps improved voice coverage?) so perhaps the feature decrease/price increases are worth it, especially for those who travel around the country? ARPUs are low here owing to the dominance of pre-paid; for Q2 2011 Truemove's post-paid ARPU increased slightly to 448 baht/month, while pre-paid dipped to 99 baht/month. Truemove is 7.7% post-paid and 92.3% pre-paid, as of Q2 2011. Since Truemove H is post-paid only one expects their ARPU to be close to 700 baht. They probably need to handle the migration of their legacy 3G customers better than they appear to be doing at present.

Not sure if I got the brush off, but, I went into the True shop in CP Tower in Silom to enquire about upgrading my 3G service. The girl said that this month True will send an SMS to customers allowing automatic upgrade. I thought that a new SIM card was required.

Cheers.

If they charge me some extra, no problem. Was for work @ Sheraton Hua Hin for work recently . It's great not having to be forced to use their wifi. Used the aircard

I as at a small hotel (Cher Resort) quite near the Sheraton, and while still on the older Truemove 3G I was getting what I believe was Truemove H as I was getting close to 9 Mbps! When we moved down to Hua Hin I was back on the old Truemove 3G, so ~ 3 Mbps. This was just before the official launch.

I plan to change to Truemove H but am waiting to hear more first-hand reports.

AFAIK, based on reports here, those who transition from Truemove to Truemove H need to get a new SIM and go through the MNP process (if they want to keep their number). It sounds insane, not sure why they just can't re-assign the SIM, but some here have posited that the CAT/Realmove/Real/True/Truemove/BKKFT arrangement is so convoluted this new SIM is a 'legalish' requirement?

Ok I got the h sim today and now the Internet tethering option has disappeared from my phone menu anyone know if this is a phone problem or something true move h has done to stop tethering

Thanks

Apn: hinternet

User/pass: true

This will fix it

Nmh defo not a phone problem as soon as I put true move sim in iPhone the Internet tethering is on the menu swap to a true move h sim and the tethering option disappears from menu

This is not good any one know of a way round this

You need to enter APN settings both for internet and tethering seperately. Do a network settings reset before that one.

Nmh defo not a phone problem as soon as I put true move sim in iPhone the Internet tethering is on the menu swap to a true move h sim and the tethering option disappears from menu

This is not good any one know of a way round this

You need to enter APN settings both for internet and tethering seperately. Do a network settings reset before that one.

ok the first apn is listed under the celluar data menu how do i enter or access the tethering apn settings do i need to put old sim back in which will bring the tethering menu back on my phone

thanks

have managed to set up the true move h tethering on a iphone 3gs but cannot do it on a 3g phone anyone managed to tether iphone 3g i dont think its possible with this phone

many thanks for your help muratremix

Edited by taninthai

Cheers.

If they charge me some extra, no problem. Was for work @ Sheraton Hua Hin for work recently . It's great not having to be forced to use their wifi. Used the aircard

I as at a small hotel (Cher Resort) quite near the Sheraton, and while still on the older Truemove 3G I was getting what I believe was Truemove H as I was getting close to 9 Mbps! When we moved down to Hua Hin I was back on the old Truemove 3G, so ~ 3 Mbps. This was just before the official launch.

I plan to change to Truemove H but am waiting to hear more first-hand reports.

AFAIK, based on reports here, those who transition from Truemove to Truemove H need to get a new SIM and go through the MNP process (if they want to keep their number). It sounds insane, not sure why they just can't re-assign the SIM, but some here have posited that the CAT/Realmove/Real/True/Truemove/BKKFT arrangement is so convoluted this new SIM is a 'legalish' requirement?

yeh, i love the speed. The MNP is nothing to do with the contract - purely the law, that all changes from one operator have to go thru the MNP clearing house. True Move H and True Move are legally 2 different companies, and the phone # needs to be returned to CAT before it can be forwarded to True Move H.

So what is the official top speed of Truemove H?... I have the regular Truemove 3g and can get 4.2mb now...

Also is Truemove H only carried by the old Hutch network? Or doe the whole True cell system offer this ?... If it is just Hutch seems like top speeds will be limited by a smaller network area...