In The Event Of A Collision..

cowslip

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Take photos of other party. Car, windscreen tax sticker, plate, face of driver, accident scene and vehicles position, alll people around as new people who never saw the accident often becomes witnesses. Do not approach the other party further, as you dont want to be blamed for increasing their medical problems and you dont know if hey are armed and/or ya baa

2. Call you Insurance if you have any

3. While doing all this, be very polite, smile, use Thai body language and not our angry and upset Euro/US, smalltalk but NEVER admit blame.

4. Keep on smiling while waiting for Insurance. Do not talk with Police until they arrive. Do not talk with anyone without your witness present, as your story may change in the mouth of others.

If no Insurance, start calling for cash, loads of cash. If causualty, shouldnt say this but make a runner until you have loads of cash, and then go to Policestation. Post bail 200.000 baht. A runner in TH becomes illegal unless you show up at Policestation within 24 hours

After dark, and still possible to drive your vehicle, do not stop but go to nearest Policestation if not to far. Rearending followed by highjacking occurs, so do motocy gangs

• Like 1

Perfect reply from KBB.I would add offer the witness a nice wedge.

and i should have started with #1

Pay attention to other people in your vehicle, make sure they are ok physical and mental. Be rational and do not care about human beings you did not know before the accident, unless you are a Police Volunteer or doctor

The one accident I was involved in was a good experience and did not involve any thing posted so far, the women Thai driver admitted it was her fault straight away, the Thai people who saw the accident were great and helped us a lot, the police turned up quickly and again were fantastic, Ambulance crew great and hospital experience again great, went back to the police station after treatment where again the police could not do enough for us, yes my gf is Thai, I have never had a bad experience with any Thai's or the police...

This is my experience so far maybe if it happens again the experience will be different!!

OK - a few things are unclear (I'll ignore the criminal advice)

Should you CALL the police? Call your insurance rep? When in what order?

What's the situation with insurance?

If the police aren't involved or informed will the insurance still pay up - either to you or the third party?

Can you move the vehicle(s) if it is b;locking the traffic?

If both parties agree whose to blame can you just agree to make a claim without the insurance or police being present?

what does the LAW say?

Actually that really doesn't help - I'd like to find out not so much how to smile and create a nuisance as how I actually stand with regard to both law and convention.... we are all aware of how the law may or may not be enforced but what the reality is regarding procedure is still unclear to me., hence the questions above.

Dag, you have chosen to answer one.........

Leaving the vehicles in the road can and frequently does lead to further crashes, but I think it is also important that people involved in a collision however major or minor are aware of how their subsequent actions may affect their chances of claiming on insurance or being locked up. -

Creating as mass traffic jam doesn't sound very helpful. More like an attempt at humour by someone who really doesn't really know?

Edited by cowslip

1. Do not move your vehicle until police on the scene suggest its ok to do so.

2. Call insurance ASAP (they are on your side, but be alert they can also be lazy and opt for the quickest outcome).

3. Do take lots of photos of anything you can think of (they helped me prove to the police about 10 years ago that the other guy was lying).

4. Call police (or ensure someone else has).

5. If you are not fluent in Thai, Ensure you have a trusted 'respectable' Thai friend who can help (get to you ASAP).

6. Ensure your license (Thai, or International License is valid).

7. Ensure the 3rd Party has valid drivers license and insurance (let your insurance deal with this).

8. Be polite, but there is no need to be a wimp (if you believe you are not at fault, do not accept fault even if the police become a little persistent (sometimes the police may choose to take the course of least resistance for ease of processing))

9. Also be prepared to be flexible - often the other party will not have insurance in that case the easiest thing to do would be to accept ONLY 50% of the blame (if you believe you are right - this may impact your next premium / no claims discount, however you'll get your car fixed more quickly).

Finally – Use your common sense, remain calm, logical, don’t allow yourself to become flustered,

Don’t retaliate to the ‘Fallang’ word, you will hear it, it may not necessary place you in a negative context.

I’ve had 3 accidents in Thailand over approximately 10 years of driving.

1) Turning right off Petchaburi rd in Bangkok into an office complex. A minivan (illegal micro-bus) tried to overtake while I turned right. He had no insurance. I took lots of photos. Initially they tried to pass the blame off on me (as I had insurance), I stood firm even after someone came into the station and gave them thick wad of cash (illegal mini-van bus operator / business owner). After continuing to refuse to accept 100% blame we were transferred to another station. I eventually accepted 50% responsibility and my insurance paid only for my vehicle.

2) In a traffic Jam, outside at a Tesco’s carpark . I was stationary when a taxi reversed into the side of my car. Taxi tried to drive off, I had to reverse a little to block him. I took lots of photo’s of him, license plate etc… Asked him why he tried to drive off… he explained that he saw a ‘farang’ in an expensive car, he had no insurance and couldn’t afford to pay me and was frightened of me. The poor guy was petrified and physically shaking. I told him the first thing to do if he is clearly at fault is to apologise. He did, I let him go before the police arrived and told him to be nice to any Westerners he takes in his taxi !!!! Insurance arrived and I told them I reversed into a pole nearby. No police.

3) While looking for a parking space in a multi-story car park and driving slowly, a girl tried to overtake me. While overtaking when overtaking wasn’t really possible and as she cut back in front of me my car scraped her drivers door. I called insurance (who took 45 mins to arrive). I suggested that as the security guard saw the incident ask him who is to blame. The security guard said it was 50/50. I accepted that, however the girl said it was 100% my fault, was quite bitchy, had called up all her friends (about 15 people turned up to support her), she started to threaten me with the police, so I stayed in my car and called a good friend of mine (Police !). He called the nearby police station and told them to give whatever outcome I requested, they agreed! We agreed with the insurance to meet at the police station after work. In the mean time my friend called me to ask what decision I wanted (i.e. 100% her fault or 50/50), I said I was happy with 50/50, he then told me not to bother with the police station after work as it happened on private property (car park) the police won’t be interested unless they are forced into it – That was the last I heard of the incident and ultimately the police were not involved: Unless the girl turned up at the Police station and was told to get lost !!!...... I would have liked to have placed 100% blame on the girl 100%, mainly for her attitude and attempting to frighten me with the police. I wanted to teach her a lesson and watch her squirm as the police took my side… however, ultimately I really couldn’t be bothered to be so vindictive, so I let it go. It was simply good enough that I had backup when I needed it and didn’t want to abuse the situation.

Each situation somewhat different – but each situation proving that while different from the West there is no need to become over stressed or suspect that we may be dealt with unfairly.

Actually that really doesn't help - I'd like to find out not so much how to smile and create a nuisance as how I actually stand with regard to both law and convention.... we are all aware of how the law may or may not be enforced but what the reality is regarding procedure is still unclear to me., hence the questions above.

Leaving the vehicles in the road can and frequently does lead to further crashes, but I think it is also important that people involved in a collision however major or minor are aware of how their subsequent actions may affect their chances of claiming on insurance or being locked up. -

Creating as mass traffic jam doesn't sound very helpful. More like an attempt at humour by someone who really doesn't really know?

Leaving the car where it is actually 'what's done'... I'm not sure if its law or not - But I've been told, do not move the car until the police say it's ok to do so. The police mark up the final positions of the car (ever seen the white sprayed on markings on the roads ?)...

So - First of All: Do not move your car, call insurance, then call police, then ensure you have a trusted Thai speaker on their way to you ASAP.

However, don't panic... Generally you will be treated fairly as most posters will attest to (although there have been one or two rare shockers !)...

do not move your vehicle until police order you to or insurance ask you to.

make sure you have photos clearly indicating vehicles position before moving

call insurance, and make sure they know you have not called police. often things work in your favor if insurance can call a police friend

Leaving the car where it is actually 'what's done'... I'm not sure if its law or not - But I've been told, do not move the car until the police say it's ok to do so. The police mark up the final positions of the car (ever seen the white sprayed on markings on the roads ?)...

I've also been told the same thing several times by Thais, don't move it until the police arrive.

So - First of All: Do not move your car, call insurance, then call police, then ensure you have a trusted Thai speaker on their way to you ASAP.

However, don't panic... Generally you will be treated fairly as most posters will attest to (although there have been one or two rare shockers !)...

Yes this is what I thought - as you say it's "what's done" but it would be nice to know what lee-way there is in this especially as regards to insurance issues.

Unfortunately the likes of Mr dag think they are being clever and have muddied the issue.

THere are now one or two really useful responses.

It's just such a shame that some smart-<deleted> have to post what they think is humour on what otherwise would have been a very informative series of posts.

Cheers to those who really seem to know what they are talking about - i.e. Mr Smith.

Edited by cowslip

I notice some people seem to carry a tin of spray paint - I wonder if that is acceptable.

Still no-one has actually said if in ALL circumstances an insurance claim must be accompanied by a police report.

what if the (two) parties agree on who's to blame?

Can one just take photos and swap details - as in Europe

or

Does one need the insurance rep to view it on the spot?

or

Do we have to get the police involved/

In many circumstances a mutual agreement without the police seems the best/quickest option.

If a crowd gathers and sets up a kangaroo court, go with the flow.

None of that humour stuff in here thanks.....

I feel I have the expertise to respond.....grand total of 3 accidents in 2 years.....none my fault of course.....but when my advice of the mass traffic jam was ignored and ridiculed....I fear more belittling if I add further requirements from the humour police.

Still no-one has actually said if in ALL circumstances an insurance claim must be accompanied by a police report.

what if the (two) parties agree on who's to blame?

Can one just take photos and swap details - as in Europe

or

Does one need the insurance rep to view it on the spot?

or

Do we have to get the police involved/

In many circumstances a mutual agreement without the police seems the best/quickest option.

Police do not need to become involved so long as there have been no physcial injuiries and all parties are in agreement. That said, they'll still usually turn up and check everyone's ID/license, but if no-one's hurt and insurance assessors are on the scene and in control, they'll leave it be.

You should always try to get the insurance assesor to the scene. If you can't you will need to provide evidence (license plate or better) and you'll need to go to the police station to file a report. From there it's over to the police to track down the culprit, and can quickly become a can of worms as the lies and power struggles emerge.

Flee the scene?

I know this was said in jest, but there's a legitimate use-case for this.. If people are dead/injured, GTFOutta there - Thai's can very quickly go from grieving to axe murdering.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Read Cowslip #21, its a wonder some of you found your way to the airport without a guide Dog. Quote. Does one need the Rep to view it on the spot.What day would he turn up. jeeez this isnt Mumby Europe.

In most cases, it's normal that the insurance assessor will get to the scene. Might take longer out in the country, but over the years I've had cars get nudged numerous times now, and each time the assessor came flying to the scene on his motorsai within about 20 mins.

A Rep on the Spot.?. Now whoes cracking jokes.

3 accidents in Thailand - 3 'Reps' on the spot.... along with others I really don't get your point. Private Joke ?

Going to another question (in post 21)... I believe that if both parties are in agreement it's not necessary for the police to be involved. Generally the police are there simply to mediate and / or decide who is responsible. As it is always possible parties may change their minds after leaving the scene it is always recommended to have an insurance representative present to sign off on the claim.

If no 3rd parties are involved police are not necessary and an insurance claim can be made at a later date... (i.e. reversed into a pole, cracked windscreen etc), the insurance company may insist on viewing the damage, this depends largely on the value of the car or more specifically the potential cost of repairing the damage.

IMO: The reason this system exists is because people lie after the fact. Regardless of the inconvenience to 1000's of others this system is in place so that the police do not have headaches down the line. A simple decision is made there and then, preferably the easiest decision along the lines of least resistance.... This is the time to maintain your rights.

MRO, as you say its an area thing. Just asked our T.P. Manager, and he said .You been readin dat Forum Thing again.He recons the Police Pics and Measurements rule no matter who turns up.As for reps he couldnt care less.But what does he know, only been in the game 40 years

Read Cowslip #21, its a wonder some of you found your way to the airport without a guide Dog. Quote. Does one need the Rep to view it on the spot.What day would he turn up. jeeez this isnt Mumby Europe.

In most cases, it's normal that the insurance assessor will get to the scene. Might take longer out in the country, but over the years I've had cars get nudged numerous times now, and each time the assessor came flying to the scene on his motorsai within about 20 mins.

My own experience, that of friends and the general experiences expressed here would suggest that the reps always turn up.

I thought that W/star was suggesting they don't; now he seems to be suggesting it's not necessary/worthless even if they do.

However it seems his posts are getting increasingly garbled.....who his he using as a point of reference now? What is a "TP"? - I'm still not clear what point he his making as it doesn't address the insurance aspect at all.

Edited by cowslip