Using Ais Prepaid Sim Card

dreamplay1234

Using AIS prepaid sim card

Hi,

I'll be in Bangkok soon and plan to purchase an AIS (1-2 Call) prepaid sim card

because all of my friends in Thailand are AIS users.

However, I'm not sure how to sign up for their promotion services.

I visited the AIS (1-2 call) website but it's too confusing.

Basically, I just need to do three things:

1) Make calls to other AIS numbers at an inexpensive rate

2) Send text messages (SMS) to other AIS members at an inexpensive rate

3) Have 3G access at an inexpensive rate

(FYI, I'm planning to take my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc phone for my trip.)

Since I'll be there for only a week, it would be nice to know how to sign up for

daily packages by sendig some kind of code to a specific number.

I was recently in the Philippines, and there were serveral offers like

"Text SUPERUNLI25 to 8888 and make unlimited calls to other Globe (a mobile carrier in the Philippines) users for 24 hours"

I'm looking for similar offers from AIS.

It would be awesome if someone could guide me to a page with a list of promotional offers and codes that can activate the offers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HSDPA 900 / 2100 - LT15i

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 / 800 - LT15a

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i or LT15a?

If the 'a' model, forget about AIS 3G. Only compatible with TRUE or TOT for 3G.

If the 'i' model, you can use AIS or TOT.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I would add that DTAC/Happy also offer 3G on 850 Mhz in the greater Bangkok area.

Voice calls can typically be found for ~ 1.0 - 1.5 baht per minute and SMSes are similarly priced. While there are a lot of promotions for calls/SMSes within service providers these typically involve extra fees and run by the month, so no huge benefits to having an AIS/One-2-Call number.

AFAIK, AIS-One-2Call do not have daily or weekly 3G data packages, although they do have a daily 2G package.

DTAC does have daily and weekly (and monthly) 3G packages.

Once you have a SIM, have activated it, have added value to it, you can choose/modify calling/messaging/data plans.

You can subscribe to data plans with service messages.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/en/internet-package/

so for 1GB/30 days/350 Baht (375 baht with 7% VAT) you would enter *133*22# and SEND.

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281&Itemid=265〈=th

and with DTAC/Happy, 1 GB/30 days/349 baht you would enter *104*27# and SEND

HSDPA 900 / 2100 - LT15i

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 / 800 - LT15a

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i or LT15a?

If the 'a' model, forget about AIS 3G. Only compatible with TRUE or TOT for 3G.

If the 'i' model, you can use AIS or TOT.

Mine is LT15i model, so I guess that means I need to buy AIS or TOT sim card for 3G access.

Does TOT have a daily package for unlimited 3G usage?

Thanks

I would add that DTAC/Happy also offer 3G on 850 Mhz in the greater Bangkok area.

Voice calls can typically be found for ~ 1.0 - 1.5 baht per minute and SMSes are similarly priced. While there are a lot of promotions for calls/SMSes within service providers these typically involve extra fees and run by the month, so no huge benefits to having an AIS/One-2-Call number.

AFAIK, AIS-One-2Call do not have daily or weekly 3G data packages, although they do have a daily 2G package.

DTAC does have daily and weekly (and monthly) 3G packages.

Once you have a SIM, have activated it, have added value to it, you can choose/modify calling/messaging/data plans.

You can subscribe to data plans with service messages.

so for 1GB/30 days/350 Baht (375 baht with 7% VAT) you would enter *133*22# and SEND.

and with DTAC/Happy, 1 GB/30 days/349 baht you would enter *104*27# and SEND

Hi,

Thanks very much for your info.

I guess Thai mobile carriers don't provide significant discounts for calling and texting between users of same carriers.

My phone is HSDPA 900 / 2100 - LT15i

So will I be able to access DTAC 3G service in the greater Bangkok area?

I hope they have a daily package because I'll be only staying for a week.

Khop khun khrap

TOT and their resellers: iKool, iMobile 3GX, IEC, 365, Mojo all have varying 3G plans. You'll have to review their websites to see the latest promotions.

I would recommend you go with One-2-Call (AIS), rather than TOT or one of their re-sellers. I now only recommend TOT/MVNOs for pure data apps. only, as their voice and 2G roaming is limited as is off-net SMS.

Hi,

I guess Thai mobile carriers don't provide significant discounts for calling and texting between users of same carriers.

Khop khun khrap

They do but it involves subscribing to a special promotion. In some cases you can even make free calls, off-peak, to one or a number of select numbers on-carrier.

Not sure why this is confusing? DTAC operates 3G on 850 Mhz. As your model does NOT support 850 Mhz 3G it would not work. You are limited to One-2-Call (AIS) or TOT/MVNOs.

Try not to get so hung up on the length of your stay vs. a standard 30-day data plan. Just pick the volume of data you think you might use over the length of your stay.

Edited by lomatopo

TOT and their resellers: iKool, iMobile 3GX, IEC, 365, Mojo all have varying 3G plans. You'll have to review their websites to see the latest promotions.

I would recommend you go with One-2-Call (AIS), rather than TOT or one of their re-sellers. I now only recommend TOT/MVNOs for pure data apps. only, as their voice and 2G roaming is limited as is off-net SMS.

Hi,

Khop khun khrap

They do but it involves subscribing to a special promotion. In some cases you can even make free calls, off-peak, to one or a number of select numbers on-carrier.

Not sure why this is confusing? DTAC operates 3G on 850 Mhz. As your model does NOT support 850 Mhz 3G it would not work. You are limited to One-2-Call (AIS) or TOT/MVNOs.

Try not to get so hung up on the length of your stay vs. a standard 30-day data plan. Just pick the volume of data you think you might use over the length of your stay.

Summarizing,

1) DTAC is out of consideration because my phone is not compatible with their service frequency.

2) I can use AIS 3G service, but AIS does NOT offer a daily 3G package.

So does that mean my only option is TOT/MVNOs ?

AIS offer many same network deals as well as good Edge / 3 G deals. either dial *777 send for a list of their deals or simply call 1175. They have very good English speaking customer service staff and I have found them to beat any of the UK providers for customer service hands down. Also when you top up they often send you a call deal which are very good.

I have also taken it everywhere around Thailand and had very good coverage.

Thank you bungalowbob & MTH for your help.

I guess AIS (1-2 Call) should be the obvious choice given their English support and multiple offers.

It appears, however, that their 3G service does not extend throughout the greater Bangkok area.

I'll be visiting a number of my business associates in the outskirts of Bangkok so there's a good chance that I won't be able to access their 3G service in some areas.

Has anyone tried tethering (portable Wi-Fi hotspot) Android phone and laptop PC with EDGE connection?

I'll just need to upload/download a few files to/from my company's ftp server, send/receive emails (with file attachments) and surf the net.

Hoping I won't have much trouble doing that while I'm there.

Thanks again for your help

Yes, and as bungalowbob says, AIS has very good English speaking customer support. I have also found them very helpful. In case you need to contact them.

When I'm upcountry, I tether my Nokia to my laptop via USB cable or sometimes Bluetooth, there I'm restricted to EDGE and would say it works quite well.

Even though the speed, as expected is quite slow, but usable for web browsing and downloading mail. Takes a long time to send anything with a decent size attachment though.:D

So you should easily be able to do the same with your Android phone. Recommend you set it all up at home before your travels, unless already done. So you don't have to do that on the spot.

Chances are your business associates will have WiFi which they can share with you?

Failing that you can tether (USB) or create a Mobile AP for connectivity. If you have 3G coverage you have 3G, if you don't then you get 2G. 2G should be fine, albeit slowish (150 Kbps). Not sure what other options you have? TOT/MVNOs have coverage in some areas of metro-Bangkok where AIS/One-2-Call do not, and AIS/One-2-Call have coverage in some areas where TOT/MVNOs do not.

Just go with AIS/One-2-Call, and subscribe to a 30 day data plan which meets your projected 7-day volume requirements. Maybe 1 GB for 350 baht? And you're done. No need to over-analyse the situation.

lomatopo,

I appreciate the fact that you're a platinum member and all, with more than 4,600 posts on this site,

but you don't have to be so blunt about providing information to someone just asking for friendly advice.

Chances are your business associates will have WiFi which they can share with you?

If I was 100% sure of that, I wouldn't be wasting my time and yours writing about this topic, don't you think?

No need to over-analyse the situation.

Obviously you haven't been to other countries where you don't speak the local language and instant help is hardly available.

I'm just trying to prepare for my trip and minimize any unexpected mishaps.

Edited by dreamplay1234

lomatopo,

I appreciate the fact that you're a platinum member and all, with more than 4,600 posts on this site,

but you don't have to be so blunt about providing information to someone just asking for friendly advice.

If I was 100% sure of that, I wouldn't be wasting my time and yours writing about this topic, don't you think?

No need to over-analyse the situation.

Obviously you haven't been to other countries where you don't speak the local language and instant help is hardly available.

I'm just trying to prepare for my trip and minimize any unexpected mishaps.

Part of the problem is that you are asking in English, you are being responded to in English, but still don't quite seem to understand. For instance, you keep insisting on a daily plan.

Get both a TOT 3G SIM and an AIS. A TOT/i-Kool SIM costs as little as 99 baht, the One 2 Call/AIS SIM from 49 baht.

i-Kool he 99 baht SIM comes with 500MB of data. A 100 baht topup will add another 600MB.

So that way, you have a choice of both TOT 3G and AIS 3G.

Part of the problem is that you are asking in English, you are being responded to in English, but still don't quite seem to understand. For instance, you keep insisting on a daily plan.

Get both a TOT 3G SIM and an AIS. A TOT/i-Kool SIM costs as little as 99 baht, the One 2 Call/AIS SIM from 49 baht.

he 99 baht SIM comes with 500MB of data. A 100 baht topup will add another 600MB.

The part that I don't understand is why you're suggesting unrealistic and idiotic solutions

and not providing me with the information that I am asking for.

Who wants to buy two SIM cards and switch back and forth between them, especially if I'm going to be there for only 7 days?

I'm asking about a daily plan because I want it and need it.

AFAIK, other than DTAC no one offers a daily or weekly 3G data plan here.

I'm still unclear as to why you need a daily (or weekly plan)? I think you want/need a data plan? My recommendation would be to guesstimate your data usage for your one week stay, and then sign up for a monthly (30 day) data plan which offers more than your requirement. Given that we are talking about AIS, and there are a limited number of plans, I still recommend you go with the 1 GB/30 days/350 baht (375 baht with VAT) as this offers the simplest and most comprehensive solution to address your requirements.

Honestly, if there were a better solution I would have highlighted it by now, or someone else would have surfaced it.

The 99 baht SIM comes with 500MB of data. A 100 baht topup will add another 600MB.

The part that I don't understand is why you're suggesting unrealistic and idiotic solutions

Who wants to buy two SIM cards and switch back and forth between them, especially if I'm going to be there for only 7 days?

Hmmm...that just about describes you at the moment that you wrote that sentence.

If you want to have 3G, you have the choice of TOT 3G and AIS 3G. However, as you suggested that you will be on the 'outskirts', 3G coverage is not guaranteed. That why the suggestion of having both SIMs at hand. Then you can test them in your intended location.

Otherwise, just get a One2Call SIM. If it falls back to 2G, so be it. Suck it up.

Here is some recommended reading for you:

514laI6nP1L._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Not sure how tight the OP's budget is but the 2 GB/30 days/550 baht AIS/One-2-Call 3G data plan also includes unlimited WiFi at 37,000 3BB hot-spots nationwide, so that may expand mobile broadband coverage. Generally I do find 2G acceptable for emails, even with attachments. Not perfect but acceptable. I have also USB tethered and Mobile AP'ed (and Air-Carded) Truemove, AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC on 3G and 2G successfully. Data rates on 2G here generally average 150 Kbps downstream. Finally, AIS claim EDGE+ in most/all locations, which offers speeds up to 384 Kbps so perhaps another tick in the plus column for AS/One-2-Call?

Edited by lomatopo

OK, understood, clarified. Thanks for the info.

sign up for a monthly (30 day) data plan which offers more than your requirement.

Yes, buying more than I need obviously will do the trick. My company covers for all of my expenses, and they will allow me to sign up for a monthly data plan, even an yearly plan.

But why would I want to throw away my company's money at AIS by signing up for 3 additional weeks?

Also, how can I guesstimate how much data transfer I will need?

Should I somehow predict what's going to happen in business meetings and calculate how many files that I will download/upload from our company server?

If there was a daily plan, I wake up in my hotel room each morning, punch in the code, and I don't have to worry about my data usage for the day.

No guessing, no worries, no money wasted, simple, straightforward.

I just have to make a few key strokes every morning for 7 times while I'm there.

In any case, thanks for trying to clarify what's available and what's not.

If nothing else, now I know for sure that my phone isn't compatible with DTAC 3G service.

Edited by dreamplay1234

The 99 baht SIM comes with 500MB of data. A 100 baht topup will add another 600MB.

Hmmm...that just about describes you at the moment that you wrote that sentence.

If you want to have 3G, you have the choice of TOT 3G and AIS 3G. However, as you suggested that you will be on the 'outskirts', 3G coverage is not guaranteed. That why the suggestion of having both SIMs at hand. Then you can test them in your intended location.

Otherwise, just get a One2Call SIM. If it falls back to 2G, so be it. Suck it up.

Here is some recommended reading for you:

If you've read the book and this is how you communicate with others,

you just proved that the book is worthless.

sign up for a monthly (30 day) data plan which offers more than your requirement.

Yes, buying more than I need obviously will do the trick. My company covers for all of my expenses, and they will allow me to sign up for a monthly data plan, even an yearly plan.

But why would I want to throw away my company's money at AIS by signing up for 3 additional weeks?

Should I somehow predict what's going to happen in business meetings and calculate how many files that I will download/upload from our company server?

If there was a daily plan, I wake up in my hotel room each morning, punch in the code, and I don't have to worry about my data usage for the day.

I just have to make a few key strokes every morning for 7 times while I'm there.

If nothing else, now I know for sure that my phone isn't compatible with DTAC 3G service.

Let's say you could use DTAC 3G (you can't as your phone does not support 850 Mhz 3G), then a daily data plan would be 49 baht/day, so 343 baht for your 7 day stay. A weekly plan would be 299 baht. By signing up for a 30 day plan you are not really throwing very much away; for a 350 baht plan it would be between 7 and 51 baht "thrown away". Subscribing one time would seem to be far more simple and straight-forward?

I agree that it can be challenging to predict data, text or voice usage. I have used a program called DroidStats for ~ 9 months so have a good handle on the average voice, text and data usage. Perhaps you can estimate your usage based on past trips? If not, I still recommend the 2 GB/550 baht/30 day plan as this includes WiFi. AIS/One-2-Call really gives you the best overall voice, text, data, coverage solution. AIS/One-2-Call do have a 49 baht daily 2G data package, with EDGE+ so speeds up t 384 Kbps.

Let's say you could use DTAC 3G (you can't as your phone does not support 850 Mhz 3G), then a daily data plan would be 49 baht/day, so 343 baht for your 7 day stay. A weekly plan would be 299 baht. By signing up for a 30 day plan you are not really throwing very much away; for a 350 baht plan it would be between 7 and 51 baht "thrown away". Subscribing one time would seem to be far more simple and straight-forward?

I agree that it can be challenging to predict data, text or voice usage. I have used a program called DroidStats for ~ 9 months so have a good handle on the average voice, text and data usage. Perhaps you can estimate your usage based on past trips? If not, I still recommend the 2 GB/550 baht/30 day plan as this includes WiFi. AIS/One-2-Call really gives you the best overall voice, text, data, coverage solution. AIS/One-2-Call do have a 49 baht daily 2G data package, with EDGE+ so speeds up t 384 Kbps.

Honestly, I don't know why you are wasting your time and energy on that PITA.

LMAO Are you seriously worried about "wasting" your company's money by buying more data volume than you need? The difference in 1GB and unlimited is 450 baht. Perhaps you are confused by exchange rates. Any idea what it costs your company for you to take a taxi to and from the airport as opposed to the bus? If internet access is so all important to a successful meeting I would think saving a measly 450 baht would be pretty low on the priority list after your company flies you to Thailand, puts you up in a hotel, and pays for your meals and other expenses.

Your company is paying at least tens if not hundreds of thousands of baht in incidental costs to get you to these meetings and you talk with bravado about how you don't want to chance wasting 450 baht on something you claim is actually integral to the success of your entire trip? That is <deleted> ridiculous.

You are either full of sh1t doing something on your own on a shoestring budget or your company has grossly overestimated your competency to make any rational decisions on their behalf. My guess would be you are full of sh1t but I leave room for the possibility that this is a new responsibility for you and you are overcompensating and losing site of what is actually important.

Anyway, thanks. The various mental pictures you evoked were quite amusing.

I must be going now, it is time to fax out some contracts my boss has been waiting for. He is sure going to be impressed that I waited to get the discount calling rate. :-)

LMAO Are you seriously worried about "wasting" your company's money by buying more data volume than you need? The difference in 1GB and unlimited is 450 baht. Perhaps you are confused by exchange rates. Any idea what it costs your company for you to take a taxi to and from the airport as opposed to the bus? If internet access is so all important to a successful meeting I would think saving a measly 450 baht would be pretty low on the priority list after your company flies you to Thailand, puts you up in a hotel, and pays for your meals and other expenses.

Your company is paying at least tens if not hundreds of thousands of baht in incidental costs to get you to these meetings and you talk with bravado about how you don't want to chance wasting 450 baht on something you claim is actually integral to the success of your entire trip? That is <deleted> ridiculous.

You are either full of sh1t doing something on your own on a shoestring budget or your company has grossly overestimated your competency to make any rational decisions on their behalf. My guess would be you are full of sh1t but I leave room for the possibility that this is a new responsibility for you and you are overcompensating and losing site of what is actually important.

I must be going now, it is time to fax out some contracts my boss has been waiting for. He is sure going to be impressed that I waited to get the discount calling rate. :-)

Yup, my fault. I shouldn't have expected anything from the pathetic so-called expats making a living in a third-world country.

Yup, my fault. I shouldn't have expected anything from the pathetic so-called expats making a living in a third-world country.

Oh dear.....

The OP wanted the same solution as he got in PI.

The OP was told several times that it wasn't available and was given a very practical 2-SIM suck-it-and-see option since it appeared having fast data comms 24/7 for 7 days in and around Bangkok was mission critical.

The OP then gets a sh!tty attitude because he can't appreciate that PI-style packages aint universal.

The OP probably doesn't appreciate that full-service, multiple choice, 3G only kicked off in Bangkok within the last couple of months.

Maybe needs to pull his head in as the Aussies say.

There are booths just outside of customs at the airport where you can purchase pre-paid SIM cards for use in Thailand. All the major operators are there, so you can shop around if you want to spend the time.

Edited by ranabd