Senior al-Qaeda figure al-Awlaki killed in U.S. airstrike

News_Editor

Why not have a trial?

al-Awlaki WAS an unlawful combatant

Just out of curiosity, why have you put "was" in all caps? But OK, I'll play along.

I don't know if he WAS or not. WAS there a hearing that determined him to be an unlawful combatant? In the past I would have asked you to provide a link, but after so many instances, I've grown weary of asking.

I do know that he WAS a US citizen, and US citizens are supposed to be guaranteed certain rights under the US Constitution.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such a cavalier attitude.

Such a cavalier TERRORIST. Again, thank you President Obama.

I would be concerned if they start doing this within US borders, when the perps can simply be arrested. I doubt that will ever happen, so again, if it does, send a memo.

Never mind, I personally think it's an extreme case outside of our borders. Does anyone here who lives their life on a casual day to day basis have any such concerns about the government singling them out and coming to get them or being on some sort of military hit list? Personally I'd be flattered they spend so much on resources to accomplish that in my case except it'd be really easy to find me so I guess they're just not trying :( ... Says it all really...

Just out of curiosity, why have you put "was" in all caps?

Because he WAS an illegal combatant and not subject to any protections under the Geneva Convention. Now, he IS in hell playing cards with Bin Ladin. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Are the police violating the constitution if they kill a US citizen under suspicion of murder who is resisting arrest, say, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin?

Al Awlaki resisted arrest? Post a link.

Really, are you serious? Your posts are suspiciously like another poster of your ilk from another channel who also has problems grasping reality on topics such as this?

It was Internationally known and publicized that he was wanted by the US government for trial by his refusal to turn himself in and further more stating his intentions openly not to go without a fight etc. he was by that definition resisting arrest how hard is that for you to understand? Never mind, rhetorical question..

^Yawn. Sophomoric posts like this only illustrate you've lost the debate.

Anyway, the US govt. won't even discuss the legal process of "targeted killings".

Perhaps that's because it's not actually legal?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/1011/Whats_the_legal_process_for_targeted_killings_like_AlAwlakis.html?showall

Yep you've outed yourself with not a RAY of hope of CAREYing your arguement..

By the way, while this is in no way relevant as to the legality, I think in terms of an emotional reaction to a US citizen being killed by his own government, people should know that he was a US citizen only in a relatively peripheral and accidental way: he was born there becasue his father studied there. He moved back to Yemen at 7 years of age and only returned to the US (aka the Great Satan) for his university education and later arguably to preach his message of jihad.

In other words, he was more Yemeni than American and presumably didn't want to be American beyond making use of his nationality for travel or other benefits.

Other things about the man and his death:

-- Not only was the other American killed with him allegedly a important recruiter and propagator for al Q and their jihad, it is believed that a third individual -- Ibrahim al-Asiri -- was killed. He is alleged to be al Queda's chief bombmaker in the Arabian Peninsula.

-- Anwar al-Awlaki is quoted as follows:

“I am proud to be a traitor to America,” he explained: “I am a traitor because my religion requires me to be. We pledge to wage jihad for the rest of our lives until either we implant Islam all over the world or meet our lord as bearers of Islam.”

And:

"To the Muslims in America, I have this to say: How can your conscience allow you to live in peaceful coexistence with a nation that is responsible for the tyranny and crimes committed against your own brothers and sisters? I eventually came to the conclusion that jihad (holy struggle) against America is binding upon myself just as it is binding upon every other able Muslim."

There is just way too much information about what this guy is allegedly responsible for to type -- but while I can't say with

absolute certainty about the fire, there's a LOT of smoke.

I do know that he WAS a US citizen, ...

You know that? How? Because the media and US Gov't told you, that's how. :o

:D

Touché.

I have to admit I've been playing devil's advocate somewhat on this thread, but I do strongly believe that this is a slippery slope the US is going down, and it truly shocks me to see the indifference exhibited on this thread. We can only hope that whomever takes over the White House next (year?) will resist the urge to use these methods.

Anyway, the US govt. won't even discuss the legal process of "targeted killings".

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/1011/Whats_the_legal_process_for_targeted_killings_like_AlAwlakis.html?showall

:blink: What?

And what is going on with the use of caps on this thread?

:blink: What?

And what is going on with the use of caps on this thread?

What about the use of caps? Since when is using caps an issue?