Local Phuket News Sites In Thai Language

MisterMan

Just wondering if any of the news that we read in English makes it into an of the THai press?

Seems as though there is only Siang Tai but that covers the southern area of Thailand.

would just be nice if Thais were also reading the same stories..

I talked to a Thai friend of mine who is from Phuket works in tourism but had NO idea bout the evil taxi tuk tuk drivers..

Also I think many staff in the hotels do not know about all the tourist / Thai drownings in the sea..etc..

There is really only one 'press pack' and they are all Thai, so if there is a big story that breaks in the English media it will likely find its way into Siangtai, which has been in operation for over 25 years.

In general, and out of commercial necessity, both the Thai and English media here stick with stories that are of interest to their readership.

The tuk-tuk, jet-ski and other scams do get covered in Siangtai, but with far less follow-up or first-hand accounts. They also tend to sensationalize, in part because the reporters are paid by word (and the rate is determined by position on page 1) and because their main income is actually from copies sold, not advertising. With the English papers it is the other way around.

As for http://www.localphuketnews.com/, thanks for pointing it out but I wouldn't say it is 'up to date'.

A big problem with the reporting here - Thai and English - is lack of follow-up, especially once high-profile cases get to the Court. But there are some structural obstacles in that regard.

Anyway, for a small market Phuket sure seems to generate its fair share of interesting news stories...