Tg Cancellation Of Last Flight Of The Day Bangkok - Chiang Mai

iang

I've just learned that Thai Airways (TG) from the 30th October will no longer operate their past last flight of the day:

TG122 Bangkok - Chiang Mai 21:30 / 22:40

The final day of operation of this flight will be the 29th October 2011.

In addition, Chiang Mai also loses one of its daily services to Bangkok, with the final day of operation being the 30th October 2011:

TG101 Chiang Mai - Bangkok 09:00 / 10:10

The late flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is of particular loss, as from the 30th Oct, their last flight ex Bangkok will be 18:40! So early!

For many people like me, who can use the current 21:30 flight from Bangkok regularly to through connect internationally into Chiang Mai, the cancellation of this service is going to cause a very unwelcome mandatory overnight at a Swampy airport hotel! Inconvenient to say the least, not to mention the additional expense.

I hear ya, but I couldn't help thinking 'yay!' as it represents a regular fully paid 'One Night In Bangkok' prior to getting back to Changers.. :thumbsup:

Chances are of course that Air Asia and/or BangkokAir will jump into that slot. TG has lost the plot for quite a while now.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I hear ya, but I couldn't help thinking 'yay!' as it represents a regular fully paid 'One Night In Bangkok' prior to getting back to Changers.. :thumbsup:

Chances are of course that Air Asia and/or BangkokAir will jump into that slot. TG has lost the plot for quite a while now.

Is it any surprise that TG is an incompetent operation. All the top management are there because of their political allegiance, not because of their expertise or competence.

I flew in yesterday morning from Johannesburg to fly up on the 7:45 flight to CNX. Amazingly we were processed early at the departure area, but after a bus trip to the TG plane that was furthest from the gate - like kms away - we were forced to wait in the bus for another 15 minutes. There were a lot of unhappy & tired foreign travelers in this group who had spent 10 hours plus getting to Bkk, but hey, they are only here to pay, pay, pay. After boarding we waited for more minutes and eventually were told that one emergency exit on the antique 747 was not working, but we would fly when they found a missing passenger!!! Eventually we took off & got home, but it was not a good advert for TG or Thailand.

But no-one will be accountable so what the heck. We the fare paying pax are not part of the equation. Get used to that.

TG is a lost cause until it is no longer a plaything of unaccountable people who march to a different drummer. And I will be long in my grave by then.

You do all realise that when making bookings there are other carriers available and Thai Airways are NOT your only option right?

Vote with your feet! If the service is poor or not to your satisfaction then use an alternative.

There are plenty of airlines out there who are more then happy to receive your business and it's usually shown in the level of service you receive.

If you need to spend a night near Suvarnabhum airport, I recommend this place. It's cheap, cheerful and clean. There is a regular free minibus shuttle to and from the International terminal. Book through Agoda and it's as cheap as $16 per night. It's perfect if you have an early flight or you miss your connection.

http://www.convenientresort.com/index.htm

Bookings:

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/convenient_resort.html

Edited by Loaded

You do all realise that when making bookings there are other carriers available and Thai Airways are NOT your only option right?

Vote with your feet! If the service is poor or not to your satisfaction then use an alternative.

There are plenty of airlines out there who are more then happy to receive your business and it's usually shown in the level of service you receive.

Yes, there are other options, but sadly not at 21:30 / 9:30pm at night!

The last flight of the day to Chiang Mai is now Bangkok Airways at 8:30pm. But this still is too early for my connection in particular, but will doubtless help many. Only a small aircraft though & I went to book this flight in one month's time & it's already fully booked! Thanks to TG no doubt!

Hope that they'll be picking-up the cost, for a night in an airport-hotel, for all of us inter-lining late-evening arrivals ? <_<

Absolutely they will NOT be paying. Unless you're arriving into Thailand on TG, they're not interested. :(

The last flight of the day to Chiang Mai is now Bangkok Airways at 8:30pm. But this still is too early for my connection in particular, but will doubtless help many. Only a small aircraft though & I went to book this flight in one month's time & it's already fully booked! Thanks to TG no doubt!

I think there is a later Air Asia flight that leaves BKK at 9pm and gets into Chiang Mai at 10.10pm

Up to October 29, Air Asia is showing 2100, but after that date it's showing 2040.

There is availability through November though.

Change you arriving flight and come in earlier. Where not talking rocket science here or take the bus if you donot want to spend the night. Complaining changes nothing look for solutions.

You obviously don't realize it, but you are making the unwarranted assumption that there is more than one flight per day from wherever the OP is coming from to BKK. Unless you want to make one or several stops on the way, this may not be true.

/ Priceless

Hope that they'll be picking-up the cost, for a night in an airport-hotel, for all of us inter-lining late-evening arrivals ? <_<

Absolutely they will NOT be paying. Unless you're arriving into Thailand on TG, they're not interested. :(

Correct, airlines will only pay for accommodation if you are travelling all the way through with their carrier, or if they can't fit you onto an alternative airline that they have a partnership with.

The greatest nuisance is you must clear BKK immigration and customs PLUS none of the other airlines will check the luggage through!

Certainly a reason not to fly TG to Europe at all.

Not true -- I flew from LAX ( Los Angeles, USA ) a few weeks ago VIA EVA air to BKK and I checked my baggage at LAX thru to CNX thru a flight VIA TG to CNX ( they are not even an alliance partner with EVA ) - I went thru Immigration at BKK and customs with my carry on baggage - at arrival at CNX went thru customs for my checked in baggage - very simple

The greatest nuisance is you must clear BKK immigration and customs PLUS none of the other airlines will check the luggage through!

Not true -- I flew from LAX ( Los Angeles, USA ) a few weeks ago VIA EVA air to BKK and I checked my baggage at LAX thru to CNX thru a flight VIA TG to CNX ( they are not even an alliance partner with EVA ) - I went thru Immigration at BKK and customs with my carry on baggage - at arrival at CNX went thru customs for my checked in baggage - very simple

Sure, but only because you took TG BKK to CNX, so you are stuck with TG if you want to be checked through.

Or will any other airline ,Bangkok Air, AirAsia be accepted at point of departure for luggage check through??

Happy to learn if I'm mistaken, if..............

^ For a visit to Bangkok that works just fine, but arriving from an international flight, a low cost carrier is almost not an option. (Hard/impossible to change flights, luggage issues (routing and weight), if you arrive late you lose your ticket, needing to check in again after walking the full length of Svunnybunny Airport..)

Sure, but only because you took TG BKK to CNX, so you are stuck with TG if you want to be checked through.

Or will any other airline ,Bangkok Air, AirAsia be accepted at point of departure for luggage check through??

Happy to learn if I'm mistaken, if..............

As you can see I have made very few reply's because mostly of the negative non open mindedness , I know more than you attitude --not doing any research before you make comments of an expert! you have clearly missed the point that TG is not even an Alliance member and they checked thru - if you did your homework you would know that Bangkok Airways is an alliance member of EVA and check thru!! many other options -- just wanted to help

As usual after a visit to Bangkok, I'll be returning next Sunday night at 22:10 on AirAsia. That's the last flight of the day, and has been for a long time.

I presume you mean that you arrive at CNX at 2210?

From AA Booking Website the last flights are shown as:

FD 3240

2100 (BKK)

2210 (CNX)

From October 30th

FD 3240

2040 (BKK)

2150 (CNX)

Edited by uptheos

extremely bad management

Why would they do this right before high season? Amazing Thailand! :blink:

Agreed. Because they have regular flights I often use them for convenience sake. But, once you take away the convenience it makes sense to deal with another airline. I arrive back in Thailand about noon on the third of November and like to catch the earliest flight to Chiang Mai. But, if Thai Air takes away the later flights it's going to plug up the earlier ones. I HATE sitting around for hours in airports because of their poor system of prior booking. There doesn't seem to be a way of booking on line from another country to connect to incoming flights. I've tried many times with no luck.

Change you arriving flight and come in earlier. Where not talking rocket science here or take the bus if you donot want to spend the night. Complaining changes nothing look for solutions.

You obviously don't realize it, but you are making the unwarranted assumption that there is more than one flight per day from wherever the OP is coming from to BKK. Unless you want to make one or several stops on the way, this may not be true.

/ Priceless

Still doesn't change the fact that the positive thing to do is look for other solutions.

If this thread gets to 100 pages with everyone in agreement I doubt very much that flights would be rescheduled.

It's a nice thought but still highly unlikely is it?

"they're not interested" just about sums it up IMO, serving paying-customers ought to be higher on the priority-list, and to give only a month's notice of the ending of the day's last BKK-CNX flight is bound to cause problems, for many travellers who'd already booked to use this service.

I myself am on one of the last flights, before the service ends, just dodged this particular bullet, by pure luck ! B)

Is it any surprise that TG is an incompetent operation. All the top management are there because of their political allegiance, not because of their expertise or competence.

I flew in yesterday morning from Johannesburg to fly up on the 7:45 flight to CNX. Amazingly we were processed early at the departure area, but after a bus trip to the TG plane that was furthest from the gate - like kms away - we were forced to wait in the bus for another 15 minutes. There were a lot of unhappy & tired foreign travelers in this group who had spent 10 hours plus getting to Bkk, but hey, they are only here to pay, pay, pay. After boarding we waited for more minutes and eventually were told that one emergency exit on the antique 747 was not working, but we would fly when they found a missing passenger!!! Eventually we took off & got home, but it was not a good advert for TG or Thailand.

But no-one will be accountable so what the heck. We the fare paying pax are not part of the equation. Get used to that.

TG is a lost cause until it is no longer a plaything of unaccountable people who march to a different drummer. And I will be long in my grave by then.

All that because of a bus gate. Wow.

From reading the posts on this thread and assuming what has been written is correct. Thai will drop their last flight of the day and Air Asia will still operate their last flight but an hour earlier and both changes take place on the same date. This may be the result of the Airport closing earlier so that essential work can be done on the runway and such like for a period time. The airport will still open every morning as normal. This may go for weeks or months. When the runway resurfacing or whatever is finished the airport will revert back to normal hours and those later flights will resume. Just a thought. I am not in CM at the moment but this situation occurs at many single runway airports.