New Roads

Marksamui

Does anyone know what is the latest news on a couple of road extensions that were proposed in the past?

A new road from the Airport to Phuket Town? I heard to run parallal with the existing road, but bypass Thalang, Heroines etc??

A tunnel from Kathu to Patong??

Are these happening, still proposed, never were happening??

Just curious, because I would like to see both of these in the near future if possible.....

Just more day dreaming in the hope of getting a share of the central funding.

the worst traffic jam in Phuket, the central 4 way junction, still has not been granted funding. so the rest is in the sky

the government launch of a 100.000 baht tax refund for first time car buyers, starting September 16th to end of 2012, is expected to increase annual car sales from 700k to +1.000.000 units. will not reduce the jams, but possibly reduce the amount of bikes on the roads.

Topic in ThaiVisa Motoring Forum for those interested

A new road just opened which runs from the back of PSU through to Wichitsongkram Rd is apparently designed as a shortcut. Currently if you come out on Wichitsongkram & want to go to Makro or Central you have to turn left & make a U-turn at the lights & to get on it if coming from Honda dealer towards PSU you have to drive over the grass median strip. To me it makes about as much sense as the shortcut which runs behind Homeworks i.e. absolutely useless. There will possibly be benefits for landowners who want to develop the land alongside the new road. It might make some sense in the future when the area from Honda to PSU gets developed.

Repairing the cut up bypass road between Lotus & Central instead of resurfacing an already good condition Thepkasatri Rd, buying land & widening roads throughout Phuket Town, a professional traffic management programme, a proper public transportation system; these are what Phuket needs.

A new road just opened which runs from the back of PSU through to Wichitsongkram Rd is apparently designed as a shortcut. Currently if you come out on Wichitsongkram & want to go to Makro or Central you have to turn left & make a U-turn at the lights & to get on it if coming from Honda dealer towards PSU you have to drive over the grass median strip. To me it makes about as much sense as the shortcut which runs behind Homeworks i.e. absolutely useless. There will possibly be benefits for landowners who want to develop the land alongside the new road. It might make some sense in the future when the area from Honda to PSU gets developed.

Repairing the cut up bypass road between Lotus & Central instead of resurfacing an already good condition Thepkasatri Rd, buying land & widening roads throughout Phuket Town, a professional traffic management programme, a proper public transportation system; these are what Phuket needs.

The new road is not finished yet, they still need to complete the part which goes over the mountain summit. The road is not useless as it will join Muang Chafa and Wichitsongkram bypassing Songkra University which has always been a bottleneck.

sanuk