Buy A Lucky Number My Love

David006

Wife just told me this two days after the event..

She was cutting rubber the other night carrying her usual old rice bag with strap on her shoulder..containing wood shavings she pops in the cups...USUALLY..

...well this time she was sleepy or something and forgot..

after about ten rows it started to rain and being opposite our cutting shed,remembered and dumped out the bag into bucket prior to dumping in latex....

out pops a half meter or so black and red/yellow striped snake rearing up in the bucket ready to strike...

she had been carrying it around for about three hours and did not put her hand in to grab a handful of cuttings..

lucky I still have a wife methinks...off to temple...lol

this farming is getting dangerous!!!

the bag had been sitting on a table under the house next to 6 frikkin dogs!! Amazing Thailand

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banded Krait, most poisonous, with dual toxin type, aggressive only at night.

A young one at half meter long, so perhaps inexperienced in biting rubber workers

I suppose she knows all this, all farmers know their snakes extremely well from childhood

saying it in case readers didn't catch the gravity of the moment.

Could very well have been bye bye Wife

If it's black with yellow/red, up north here they call it "ngoo khan phong". 99% of farmers here know this snake and would leave it alone or catch and release outside their property. They eat all type of snakes but this is the only one they wouldn't kill...the reason being that the urban tale about if you use a machete and stirke to kill this type of snake, only two thing will happen. Strike and hemorrhage it on the right/wrong "stripe" will have good or bad consequences on the striker's future...either he will be filthy rich or down right proverty for the rest of his living life.

It is usually active at night and it is attracted to lights, i once killed one unknowingly at my farmhouse at night as it was the only lighted place in the middle of the paddies field, my dog was barking its head off at the snake, the next day i show it to a passing villager at my farm, he explained and i said i didn't know, i wouldn't kill it had i knew :huh: . He said never mind, so now you know...just bury it and express your regret. I did just that !

Come to think of it...it's either i had striked the right stripe or it had excepted my apology for being naive...

cos' i'm filthy rich now, often on the right path :lol:

Never seen one thank god, but I do kill every snake I find and feed them to my ducks ..I kill about 3-4 a week sounds a lot but got a 9ft cobra today just as he stood up and showed me his hood I took his head off with the brush cutter mint

oldestswinger please dont call me a lier you dont know me.

it was a king cobra not a true cobra I dont know and dont care there are plenty up here about that size so get your facts right. i live next to a 5 mile long lake and woodland its snake city, We get rat snakes about that big as well

Never seen one thank god, but I do kill every snake I find and feed them to my ducks ..I kill about 3-4 a week sounds a lot but got a 9ft cobra today just as he stood up and showed me his hood I took his head off with the brush cutter mint

Why all the killing ? Snakes, just like yourself, are an integral part of nature you need to respect.

Soon you will be swimming in mice rats and other assorted visitors.

Regards

Edited by soidog2

RBH: Not wrong. AC quoted a cobra was approx 9 feet - not a king. Anyway, a king, in spite of its name, is not a true cobra. They're also very shy and not seen very often.

I don't know what pen you use but i use a hoe, out in the field and under the sun...a cobra 9 feet long, what do you think ? A Queen !?!! You need to use your common sense more rather than rely on quote ! So there's such thing "false" cobra huh ?... paddy rat are shy and not seen often too, i've caught and ate one as big as a tomcat, have you !?!! I doubt it .

Why all the killing ? Snakes, just like yourself, are an integral part of nature you need to respect.

Regards

As long as me, my dog and my fingerlings are not in the A-La-Carte menu. Herons and king fishers are integrated part of nature too...i'm doing farming and i'm at the top of the food chain, respect me !

I'm no snake expert but I've seen snakes that looked very much like the ones in the snake charmers baskets in our area and in the back of snake oil salesmens pickup trucks here in the village, all at the size Andy suggested. I am also no hero so I just let the locals know one is about and they take care of it. They are very real folks.As for their part in nature, I agree and take care when I am in their neck of the woods. However, they are not encouraged to come near the pig sty and dealt with if they do. New born piglets would be a tasty meal for snakes at that size and I have no intention of putting them on the menu. Snakes of any size and type are dealt with the same way near the sty, zero tolerance. I have lost a sow to a scorpion bite but not yet to a snake.

We hatch chicks for a living snakes ,cats, crows, mongoose, sparrows and dogs all get the same treatment .You come on my land you die. As regards to Changing the eco system as regards snakes. We have a snake problem not a rat problem. If the time comes were I even see a rat Ill stop hows that . Snakes get though the wire eat chicks then are two fat to get out again. I dont mind snakes at all just dont want them near me or my stock and more so my kids.

Regards

As long as me, my dog and my fingerlings are not in the A-La-Carte menu. Herons and king fishers are integrated part of nature too...i'm doing farming and i'm at the top of the food chain, respect me !

It is because you are at the top of the food chain and have the power to exterminate lesser creatures; you should not do it.

I am not here to preach extremism; I would protect my live stock & family anytime.

I am sure there are better ways of protection for chicks, piglets, etc., so snakes have a hard time getting in.

Regards, again

Animals have Rights

Right to Run

Right to Hide

Carried to the logical conclusion,

How closely shall you invite them in?

A 9 foot Cobra will wear out his welcome

among all but the most hardy wildlife enthusiasts.

I'm comfortable with my practice that a poisonous snake in reach will die.

Non toxic posing any liability, he's just as dead.

There's nothing, man nor beast, going to present a problem uncontested.

I just don't have time for problems.

I'm sure there are many fine snakes in the world,

the ones I didn't see.

As one of our esteemed members said in a similar thread not so long ago

I run a farm

not a zoo.

The topic of that day was how well we treat our pigs

with a naysayer assuming we abused our animals

having not toured any of our barns.

The wisdom that carried the day was that unhappy hogs don't gain,

and since hog farmers have vested interest in hog gain,

it was established that hog farmers provide comfortable conditions.

It could be argued that the best hog farmers

provide the most comfortable conditions.

The accuser was dismissed

with encouragement to keep pigs in any way he saw fit.

Bed them in air conditioned silk and feed them strawberries for all we care.

Turns out the guy was promoting a method I heartily agree with,

and have seen in practice with great results

which I actually envied in my friend's new barn.

It was a crosswise presentation of a great idea that stirred a bit of a hornet's nest.

A better idea doesn't mean the present methods are wrong.

So ya'll have fun herding snakes,

but they're dying left and right around here.

Animals have Rights

Right to Run

Right to Hide

Carried to the logical conclusion,

How closely shall you invite them in?

A 9 foot Cobra will wear out his welcome

among all but the most hardy wildlife enthusiasts.

I'm comfortable with my practice that a poisonous snake in reach will die.

Non toxic posing any liability, he's just as dead.

There's nothing, man nor beast, going to present a problem uncontested.

I just don't have time for problems.

I'm sure there are many fine snakes in the world,

the ones I didn't see.

As one of our esteemed members said in a similar thread not so long ago

I run a farm

not a zoo.

The topic of that day was how well we treat our pigs

with a naysayer assuming we abused our animals

having not toured any of our barns.

The wisdom that carried the day was that unhappy hogs don't gain,

and since hog farmers have vested interest in hog gain,

it was established that hog farmers provide comfortable conditions.

It could be argued that the best hog farmers

provide the most comfortable conditions.

The accuser was dismissed

with encouragement to keep pigs in any way he saw fit.

Bed them in air conditioned silk and feed them strawberries for all we care.

Turns out the guy was promoting a method I heartily agree with,

and have seen in practice with great results

which I actually envied in my friend's new barn.

It was a crosswise presentation of a great idea that stirred a bit of a hornet's nest.

A better idea doesn't mean the present methods are wrong.

So ya'll have fun herding snakes,

but they're dying left and right around here.

It is unfortunate; you being one of the more experienced and knowledgeable members of this forum, to promote wanton destruction.

99% of snakes will retreat at a sight of a human.

Best

A Crosby: I did not call you a liar. I was trying subtly and humourously to indicate that you may have got your facts wrong. Obviously for you I was either too subtle or not humourous, for which I should apologise.

RBH: No, I have never eaten a paddy rat as big as a tomcat, and am happy with the status quo.

I am pleased to say we don't have much of a problem from snakes and the odd one that appears in the garden is usually disposed of by the dog unless it manages to make it escape first.

Do we have a 'rat' problem instead? NO.

I say 'rat' in the Thai way which usually means 'Mouse'!!

The dogs and I did once clear a family out of the Tool Shed BUT 'rats' never go into the Rice House next door.

Attached is the reason!!!!!!

post-39126-0-26581100-1317895103_thumb.j

Regards

It is because you are at the top of the food chain and have the power to exterminate lesser creatures; you should not do it.

I am not here to preach extremism; I would protect my live stock & family anytime.

I am sure there are better ways of protection for chicks, piglets, etc., so snakes have a hard time getting in.

Regards, again

Being a snake, it's never a hard time getting in . Having the power to exterminate lesser creatures, not that i shouldn't do it but i choose why i should do it.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Hi AA1

Bravo for the Tukay.

I fed one a large green Katydid grasshopper.

I've seen one eat a Gecko so fast I didn't actually see it happen

I've seen two males fight each other high on the side of a building

while the female watched for the outcome of the fight.

but I've never seen a Tukay catch a mouse.

This is new and very encouraging.

I like them all the more.

My kids will be thrilled to see this picture.

Hi AA1

Bravo for the Tukay.

Since we are posting pictures; you will love this one!

post-14625-0-51578400-1317901082_thumb.j

Ok I am no Mod but this is starting to get the tree huggers upset I apologise to all for getting everyone fired up. Let us the gamekeepers of the world protect our flocks and let the vegans eat there lentals... Its funny when you go looking for something you can not find it. Ive had all the staff out looking for a big king Cobra today just to post a Photo with me hacking its head off

Ok I am no Mod but this is starting to get the tree huggers upset I apologise to all for getting everyone fired up. Let us the gamekeepers of the world protect our flocks and let the vegans eat there lentals... Its funny when you go looking for something you can not find it. Ive had all the staff out looking for a big king Cobra today just to post a Photo with me hacking its head off

And not long thereafter we will see a picture of andy holding a number across his chest.

King Cobras are protected by law.

Soidog2.

You win all hands down or in your photo I should say all hands UP!!!

Hi AA1

Bravo for the Tukay.

Since we are posting pictures; you will love this one!

Hi AA1

Bravo for the Tukay.

If kotay take resident in any of my out building. i welcome it...knowing rat problem solved :)

And not long thereafter we will see a picture of andy holding a number across his chest.

King Cobras are protected by law.

My Foot ! :lol:

Edited by RedBullHorn

This is the most active topic for ages. Rightly so, as snakes negatively motivate me as much as sharks. I suppose our individual attitudes have a lot to do with where we all grew up and the attitudes of people around us as well as the population density and danger level on the snakes. I think it was Winston Churchill who said something about a pacifist being a person who fed the crocodiles in the hope he would be the last one they ate. My Grandfather who was an animal farmer always said, "Only good snake is a dead one!" He was also the same guy that took my dog to the farm to train for me when I was about nine years old. Weeks later on a visit to the farm, when asked about progress, he casually says, "Not worth his tucker, shot him."

So I have a question primarily for other Aussies as I have never heard of it happening anywhere else. Who has seen a snake killed, beheaded and gutted by being cracked like a whip? Snakes in the sheep yards in NSW were a problem and were dispatched by the stockmen while walking through the flocks. Grab the snake by the tail, swing it high in the air and KERRR..RACK, just like a bull whip, head and entrails are gone, Hang the body over the fence. I often thought it would be hard luck for anyone way over where the mouth open startled snake head descended. Fancy getting bitten in the neck by a hundred mile an hour taipan head? No thanks.

Here big snakes dont stand a chance if they are spotted. Sliced up and in the pot in minutes. Protein is valued highly, and even Thais surely must get sick of eating rice sometimes? Strange old world isn't it! Takes all types.

Edited by IsaanAussie