PM Yingluck Dodges Senate Inquiry Into Move To Secure Royal Pardon For Politicians

webfact

PM Dodges Senate Inquiry into Move to Secure Royal Pardon for Politicians

The prime minister was not present at the Senate meeting yesterday to respond to a fresh inquiry into the government's attempt to secure royal pardons for convicted politicians, saying that the matter should not be discussed at the moment for the sake of national security.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra did not attend the Senate meeting yesterday, where a fresh inquiry was made into moves to seek royal pardon under the Constitution and Section 261 of the Criminal Procedure Act.

The Senate speaker disclosed that he received a letter from the the Cabinet's secretary-general saying that the prime minister did not come to clarify to the inquiry because the matter involves national security and should not be discussed at this time.

Appointed senator Kamnoon Sitthisaman questioned how the matter would involve national security as claimed by the premier, and said he will continue to raise the issue of the inquiry at future meetings.

In another inquiry, appointed senator Charoen Pakdeewanich called for clarification from the prime minister regarding efforts to prevent future losses and help those affected by the unrest in southern border provinces.

He also asked the government about what steps it is taking towards conflict resolution and the establishment of a temporary relief fund.

Deputy Prime Minister, Police General Kowit Wattana responded to the inquiry on behalf of the prime minister, saying that there are a number of problems relevant agencies are trying to settle.

He added that the government will encourage integration among the military, police and the public.

As for the relief fund for victims of southern violence, Kowit said there is currently no budget to organize and manage the fund effectively.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-04

footer_n.gif

"The Senate speaker disclosed that he received a letter from the the Cabinet's secretary-general saying that the prime minister did not come to clarify to the inquiry because the matter involves national security and should not be discussed at this time."

If it involves "national security", why oh why is the PTP government still pursuing that royal pardon full steam? Of course we know why... Mr. T needs to come home scot-free and take over the reins.

At least one senator looked through the charade, thankfully:

"Appointed senator Kamnoon Sitthisaman questioned how the matter would involve national security as claimed by the premier, and said he will continue to raise the issue of the inquiry at future meetings."

Go on, Mr. Kamnoon. Don't let up.

And once again PM Yingluck "dodged" an important inquiry, successfully evading potentially uncomfortable questions. She really excels at "dodging" and has shown it on more than one occasion.

In this case, perhaps the landline to Dubai was bad or the satellite reception interrupted due to the stormy weather, so she couldn't receive instructions on how to mislead the inquiry and decided to "dodge" it.

It's all "facade". If only it wouldn't be so glaringly obvious.

"Appointed senator Kamnoon Sitthisaman questioned how the matter would involve national security as claimed by the premier,

and said he will continue to raise the issue of the inquiry at future meetings"

Is this the same Kamnoon Sitthisaman who is a moderator for Manager ASTV?

and who once bailed Sondhi Limthongkul out of jail??

Its good to have opposing views but ................................................. better solution?

http://en.wikipedia....ate_of_Thailand

"The 1997 Constitution saw a return to a fully elected Senate."

"That constitution was abrogated after the 2006 coup, and replaced with one calling for a half-elected/half-appointed Senate."

Decided to change my comment after reading this just in case the LAW is still in place. Self censorship as it were.

"The junta passed a law making it illegal to publicly criticize the draft."

Edited by monkfish

"The Senate speaker disclosed that he received a letter from the the Cabinet's secretary-general saying that the prime minister did not come to clarify to the inquiry because the matter involves national security and should not be discussed at this time."

If it involves "national security", why oh why is the PTP government still pursuing that royal pardon full steam? Of course we know why... Mr. T needs to come home scot-free and take over the reins.

"Appointed senator Kamnoon Sitthisaman questioned how the matter would involve national security as claimed by the premier, and said he will continue to raise the issue of the inquiry at future meetings."

And once again PM Yingluck "dodged" an important inquiry, successfully evading potentially uncomfortable questions. She really excels at "dodging" and has shown it on more than one occasion.

In this case, perhaps the landline to Dubai was bad or the satellite reception interrupted due to the stormy weather, so she couldn't receive instructions on how to mislead the inquiry and decided to "dodge" it.

It shows her lack of integrity. Also a lack of experience or anyting for that matter, to speak up about what is going on.

I am a bit surprised yet pleased at least one guy, Kamnoon, has the balls to speak up about it!!

You're right...they sure suck at lying here!!!

When someone "dodges" all questions, they're hiding something..pretty clear as day!

Edited by gemini81

I take it you know who non-elected Senator Kamnoon Sitthisaman is and his political affiliation?

I take it you know who non-elected Senator Kamnoon Sitthisaman is and his political affiliation?

Yes, I do. Yet his questioning why the pardon issue infringes on national security is nevertheless legitimate, especially under the aspect that PTP is actively pursuing it. Why do that while at the same time flogging the "national security" horse and dodging a senatorial inquiry?

If it involves "national security", why oh why is the PTP government still pursuing that royal pardon full steam?

fair point.. i agree with you that if they say they do not wish to clarify for national security issues, then they shouldn't be pursuing it at all..

but i also agree with the excuse, i think it would have an ill effect on national security to be speaking of this issue in the current political climate... possible rioting etc

i think kamnoon is correct to not allow it be kept on the hush but i also believe he clearly understands how the matter could involve national security...

but overall, i agree... you can't say, basically, 'this is what we want but we can't discuss it as it is dangerous" - if it's putting national security at risk to discuss it, then it's putting national security at risk to pursue it

i'm not sure myself exactly how 'full steam' (as you put it) they are going for this atm, maybe you could clarify how high up on the agenda and 'full steam' it is?

Wow, so when the real issues come up, she calls in sick to school? Hhhhmmm, I wonder what the national security issues could be? Possibly royal pardons for family members WILL cause civil unrest? Or that the fallacy of the southern issue is too much for her to handle? It's funny, I wish I could call in at my job like she does!!!!