Thai Govt Claims Progress In Crackdown On Drug Trade

webfact

Govt Claims Progress in Anti-drug Drive

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung reiterates his confidence that the government's anti-narcotics policy is working.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung revealed he has provided vital information to the Office of the Narcotics Control Board.

The deputy premier explained that the information he provided will be combined with the anti-narcotics board's data.

Chalerm is hopeful the cooperation will lead to a more effective crackdown on drug trade in Thailand.

He's expected to meet with law enforcement officers to identify target areas for the anti-drug operations.

The deputy premier reiterated his belief that the government is moving toward the right direction in addressing the drug problem.

He said the anti-narcotics efforts will be evaluated every 3 months.

Chalerm also identified the border areas as key to eradicate drug trafficking.

He said he has discussed the problem with the police commanders of areas along the border, such as Mae Sai and Chiang Saen districts in Chiang Rai Province.

The deputy prime minister pointed out that most of drugs are inside local communities and night entertainment businesses.

However, he added that less than 5 percent of the narcotics are locally manufactured in Bangkok and Thailand.

About Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's plan to visit Myanmar tomorrow, Chalerm said Yingluck is well informed on the matters that needed to be discussed with Myanmar.

He also warned that no country should be named in the government's drug eradication effort.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-04

footer_n.gif

"About Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's plan to visit Myanmar tomorrow, Chalerm said Yingluck is well informed on the matters that needed to be discussed with Myanmar.

He also warned that no country should be named in the government's drug eradication effort"

:cheesy: .....so we are not allowed to say Myanmar

Why did the Fawlty towers episode involving the Germans come to mind when I read this...

Edited by Soutpeel

So how goes it with Thailand's (and the world's) #1 most harmful drug? Are there less drunk driving fatalities/injuries, and less wife beatings? Woops, almost forgot, how silly of me, .......this 'war on drugs' can't touch alcoholic drinks. It only targets all the other recreational drugs, but has to keep its hands off alcohol. After all, Singha, Leo, Johnny Walker, Seagrams, 80 proof moonshine (sold at every Thai mom and pop shop) are off limits in this war. Alcohol makers are content that all their competition is being targetted. Hemp smokers beware: if you're caught with a little bit of hemp herb, you could go to jail. But if you get zonked on Thai rice moonshine and go home and beat your wife to a pulp, you're ok, because this is the land of 'mai pen rai' and.......... .....and there are always chuckles and excuses for drunks.

they could also start by doing what every drug agency does in the world, instead of arresting and parading the mules 10 seconds after there arrest, why dont they start following them to the source of order !,

Soon all vices will be expelled from Thailand, can't say where they'll go of course but who cares as everyday in the Land of Smiles will be the first day of spring and every bird will have a new song to sing. Three cheers for Yingluck!

they could also start by doing what every drug agency does in the world, instead of arresting and parading the mules 10 seconds after there arrest, why dont they start following them to the source of order !,

Perhaps they followed then from the source of order. ;)

Wonder what kind of 'insider information' he could give the Thai police about how to make the war on drugs better? Maybe 'go here....' or 'leave this guy alone, he's my friend'. But I'm still unclear on where the progress is? A meeting is considered progress??

Because that might be embarrassing...

Soon all vices will be expelled from Thailand, can't say where they'll go of course but who cares as everyday in the Land of Smiles will be the first day of spring and every bird will have a new song to sing. Three cheers for Yingluck!

And coming son, everybody will be rich.

"About Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's plan to visit Myanmar tomorrow, Chalerm said Yingluck is well informed on the matters that needed to be discussed with Myanmar.

He also warned that no country should be named in the government's drug eradication effort"

Why did the Fawlty towers episode involving the Germans come to mind when I read this...

Reminds me of when chalerm was the health minister during the scandal of Chinese milk with melamine.

Chalerm's proclamation - 'Don't say anything - we don't want to upset China'.

Never mind the fact that people wanted answers about potential risks to their children - and the answers never came.

Wonder if any loans to -------- will be discussed?

Anybody want to take a bet that no drug kingpin will be touched?

Deputy PM Shows Off Success with Anti-Narcotics Campaign

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung has shown off the results of the government's anti-narcotics policy by personally interrogating a drug suspect at the Metropolitan Police Bureau Headquarters.

Earlier today, Deputy Prime Minister in Charge of Police Affairs, Chalerm Yoobamrungat traveled to the Metropolitan Police Bureau Headquarters to oversee an interrogation of four drug suspects recently apprehended for possession of 460,000 methamphetamine pills.

The police also confiscated 2 million baht in cash and five cars in the arrest.

Chalerm spent five minutes personally interrogating one of the suspects.

The deputy prime minister pointed out the purpose of this trip was to thank the police force for carrying out the government's anti-narcotics policy effectively.

Chalerm also specifically praised acting Police Chief, Police General Priewpan Damapong for his outstanding performance leading to the seizure of more than one million methamphetamine pills since June.

The deputy prime minister reported that this major drug bust was made on a previously existing tip and the drugs were being transported from a neighboring country through Chiang Rai Province.

Moreover, Chalerm warned that all drug dealers should cease their illegal activities immediately.

Chalerm said he has proposed that all drug offenders be publicly denounced, and insisted that law enforcement authorities will act within the law to wage a war on narcotics.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-05

footer_n.gif

Hemp smokers beware: if you're caught with a little bit of hemp herb, you could go to jail

I once was very drunk and was beating my thai gf very badly because i got drunk from SangSom with Coke so much.

When i smoke weed i never ever get into situations like that.

Alcohol = legal = bad

Weed = illegal = good?

Strange world that is.....

Crackdown?

When i want smoke ice, i smoke ice.

When i want smoke yaba, i smoke yaba

When i want smoke weed, i smoke weed

Nothing going to stop me, it my own decision

Edited by luvU2much500THB

From what I've been told, Thai blokes hand out the slaps sober too. I know one who did and woke up 30 mins later when she slapped him back.

Well done to her. I would think he was lucky bearing in mind the tendency of Thai females towards penile amputation.

Hemp smokers beware: if you're caught with a little bit of hemp herb, you could go to jail

I once was very drunk and was beating my thai gf very badly because i got drunk from SangSom with Coke so much.

Alcohol = legal = bad

Weed = illegal = good?

Crackdown?

I think you may be confusing alcohol consumption with overconsumption or alcohol abuse. Moderate alcohol use doesn't cause you to beat anyone and possibly has some benefits in thinning the blood. As for the other drugs you've mentioned I've no experience of them so I can only go by reported research which suggests possible long term effects although these seem less than certain.

What happens if you use too much of the ice, yaba and weed as you did with the alcohol?

I'm not sure if this reply will last long as you seem to be promoting something that is illegal in Thailand.

Alcohol = legal = bad

Weed = illegal = good?

Crackdown?

I think you may be confusing alcohol consumption with overconsumption or alcohol abuse. Moderate alcohol use doesn't cause you to beat anyone and possibly has some benefits in thinning the blood. As for the other drugs you've mentioned I've no experience of them so I can only go by reported research which suggests possible long term effects although these seem less than certain.

What happens if you use too much of the ice, yaba and weed as you did with the alcohol?

I'm not sure if this reply will last long as you seem to be promoting something that is illegal in Thailand.

Taking drugs is usually done by 'over consumption' in the same way that people 'abuse' alcohol. For example 1 glass of beer may do something but to most people that drink a lot it will not do much! Weed on the other hand also has tolerance but you can smoke it all day and maybe just be happy sat in your hammock listening to music (still after 10 joints). However, majority of people that even drink a lot of whiskey can still become abusive and obnoxious to most sober people!

The other drugs you speak about, or wish to know about are usually recreational in the sense that people do them to go out on...ie dancing or just generally to stay up late without being tired...such as the old warehouse days in the UK (im talking ecstacy). These drugs have actually been proven to benefit health if not abused. Abuse is the name of the game whether it be alcohol or any other 'drug'.

The main media of the world we live in dont want you to have freedom of choice, alcohol makes money same as cigarettes.....cigarettes are BAD for you but they still sell them for extortionate prices...I wonder why???!!!!

Hemp has been proven to be the plant that can be used for near enough everything we rely on from petrochemical companies, but they cant tax you or make you pay for HEMP so its been made illegal!!! Once upon a time in America it was policy for every American to grow Hemp...do some research!

Its all about money.....always is

You and your life are controlled....you are not free!!!!

Last thing....... why would anyone REALLY care if I smoke a spliff!!???

REALLY, grow up people of the world see it for what it really is!!

Last thing....... why would anyone REALLY care if I smoke a spliff!!???

Pretty sure Thailand finest will care if you go walking down a street spiff in hand and they catch you...:whistling:

Anyhow what is this debate number 227689 ? on the pro's and con's of legal & illegal drugs

Currently in Thailand weed is illegal so your arguments are moot, you are not in the nanny state anymore and you will end up with more than a slap on the wrist if you get caught messing with illegal drugs in Thailand....but as the old saying goes up to you.

granted, many of the same arguments come forth, when 'war on drugs' is trumpeted. And it's good that these issues are discussed, because there are consistant and entrenched patterns that defy logic, yet are still espoused by the USA and in turn Thailand - which copies exactly, the US's policies on drugs. One big reason this is serious is because, with stupid and cruel laws, some people are criminalized (or killed) for supposed offenses which are not harmful. As long as hemp is illegal (not the same as ganga) and alcohol is legal, it proves the abject ignorance of those charged with upholding the laws of the land. There are other examples, but that's a start.

Wonder what kind of 'insider information' he could give the Thai police about how to make the war on drugs better? Maybe 'go here....' or 'leave this guy alone, he's my friend'. But I'm still unclear on where the progress is? A meeting is considered progress??

C'mon now!!! don't spoil his ego trip!!! He thinks he's Thaliand's drugs czar!! Lets face it, a meeting's great progress as they can talk about it!!! All them nasty drugs people and the awful things they do, and stuff :lol:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE