Isn'T Thailand Embarassed?

toenail

I can't figure out which forum to put this in but since this topic takes place near Burma, I'll try this one) It was on the internbet that Medecinds Sans Frotieres (Doctors Without Borders) was pulling out of Thailand after 36 years because of government interference. This would leave thousands of migrants without medical care. Two projects it closed down in June treated around 55,000 Burmese (mostly unregistered migrants).The reason for leaving was that the organization had enormous difficulties with the authorities according to the head of the mission. Denis Penoy, head of the Doctors without borders said, “We were forced to close one of our private clinics and pushed to close the other. We will not conduct any more activities and will have no representation in Thailand.” This is such a highly regarded organization of good well, why would authorites (government) be so difficult?

I am guessing that the Thai government wants these refugees from Burma to go home - regardless of how dangerous that would be. Making things even harder for them might be the point, but it is a sad situation indeed. :(

Edited by Ulysses G.