Jomtien 2Nd Road And Soi 5

Jingthing

Anyone who hasn't been in a while, you've got to check it out. New restaurants, new shops, new road, new buildings, local and expat focus. I think its developing into one of the more interesting areas in the region. not just at Soi 5 but spread around the area.

Probably the most exciting new restaurant in this emerging hot neighborhood --

BALI BREEZE Indonesian restaurant (on 2nd some blocks further south)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The area with all the crappy new beer bars by the market?

Only the other day I was wondering what all the people who paid a premium for "posh"-marketed condos must think now they have belting bar music to drown out every night.

Or do you mean somewhere else?

The Beer Bars there are much better then the ones you find around Soi 7 and 8 in Pattaya. No Lager louts to find, just mostly friendly Expats enjoying themselfs. Music is also not too loud, at least that is what I remember last time I was there. Good prized drinks and many free Pool Tables makes it a nice evening out. And yes, some nice Places to feed yourself if you are hungry.

For the buyers of condo`s there. As long as there is an empty spot near your place, expect the worst. They still got off lightly, imagine all thouse Beer Bars turning into open air Thai Karaoke places. :blink:

I have heard that this area is targeted as a new "Night Market" - the stall holders to take down their tables at midnight.

So will be a thriving investment for any Thai stall holder and Ex-pat bar owner.

I heard that too.

Like I said there is a mix.

Also in the area, a newish Italian restaurant that is quite decent, fresh pastas/pizzas/dinner plates (across from the Bali place) and just today noticed a new American food place called Bourbon Street (I doubt related to the famous Bangkok place) opening in the old Seafood Emporium location. It is quite clear to me this entire area is going to boom. This being greater Pattaya, of course it includes beer bars.

As others have mentioned there is a lower priced Indian place in the beer bar area and some old favorites like the Mr. Moo joint. Around the main market there are a lot more Thai style stalls opening. It seems like something new every week now.

One thing I am really liking so far is the really good mix and healthy balance of typical Thai food market places and expat/tourist attractions. Maybe you can say that about a lot of areas in town, but I am feeling something new and special beginning to happen in that area.

Edited by Jingthing

I have heard that this area is targeted as a new "Night Market" - the stall holders to take down their tables at midnight.

So will be a thriving investment for any Thai stall holder and Ex-pat bar owner.

I heard that too.

Also in the area, a newish Italian restaurant that is quite decent, fresh pastas/pizzas/dinner plates (across from the Bali place) and just today noticed a new American food place called Bourbon Street (I doubt related to the famous Bangkok place) opening in the old Seafood Emporium location. It is quite clear to me this entire area is going to boom. This being greater Pattaya, of course it includes beer bars.

As others have mentioned there is a lower priced Indian place in the beer bar area and some old favorites like the Mr. Moo joint. Around the main market there are a lot more Thai style stalls opening. It seems like something new every week now.

One thing I am really liking so far is the really good mix and healthy balance of typical Thai food market places and expat/tourist attractions. Maybe you can say that about a lot of areas in town, but I am feeling something new and special beginning to happen in that area.

Do you also like the mix of water when it floods? and all the dust about when it's dry? and all the accidents at the junction there? Personally i think that area is a sh*thole and feel sorry for the people that have really nice homes in that nice ( but overpriced ) moo baan that is close by, forget the name, Jomtien Park Villa's or something like that?

JH

Sounds good. I'm not too familiar with Jomtien - can this area be reached at the top to the Soi that sites the Immigration office ?

I love Indonesian food - how about a restaurant review from someone who has tried it ?

Indonesian food in Indonesia is great, particularly Nasi Padang places. However the flavours and range of dishes tend to get toned-down when marketed in other countries. I have had some fairly bland dishes in restaurants in London, Singapore and Holland. If they have Indonesian staff in the kitchen then it should be fine.

Simon

I heard that too.

Do you also like the mix of water when it floods? and all the dust about when it's dry? and all the accidents at the junction there? Personally i think that area is a sh*thole and feel sorry for the people that have really nice homes in that nice ( but overpriced ) moo baan that is close by, forget the name, Jomtien Park Villa's or something like that?

JH

It's View Talay Villa's, the perimeter wall of the development is right next to the new bars and restaurants, I saw it coming two or three years back and sold before it became a problem.

Yeah, ship all the Russian, Arab, Iranian, and Indian tourists over there. Then it will become a wonderful multicultural mosaic. :lol:

You know, that's just a waste of sarcastic breath. It's an area where many farangs reside, already a nice part of Jomtien. Now, it's (logically) attracted quite a few new bars & resto's who have situated themselves all around the (pre-existing and well-attended) local market. That's business, here or anywhere- simple to understand. You don't like it- you don't go there (where do you like to go, anyway?). As for your wise guy post- as far as I know, everyone is in fact welcome there- even you, krap... and that's a good thing.

B)

Sounds good. I'm not too familiar with Jomtien - can this area be reached at the top to the Soi that sites the Immigration office ?

I love Indonesian food - how about a restaurant review from someone who has tried it ?

Indonesian food in Indonesia is great, particularly Nasi Padang places. However the flavours and range of dishes tend to get toned-down when marketed in other countries. I have had some fairly bland dishes in restaurants in London, Singapore and Holland. If they have Indonesian staff in the kitchen then it should be fine.

Simon

I tried it last week. Although not an expert on Indonesian food, only having had it in Amsterdam a few times many years ago, I really enjoyed it. The Dutch owner introduced himself and descibed the dishes on the menu for us. Food was very good, service also. I will definately go back.

water up to your engine whenever there is a hard rain.

In that case, just leave your car at home and rent out the nearest jet-sky available to your area, surely it's a win-win situation....carpe diem :lol:

I heard that too.

Hi Jingthing, can you give me a better idea where this area is please as we will be coming for our usual months holiday in november and quite like going down to Jomten for a change, although we can find our way round pretty good its difficult sometimes to know what roads and area's are called :jap:

I heard that too.

Hi Jingthing, can you give me a better idea where this area is please as we will be coming for our usual months holiday in november and quite like going down to Jomten for a change, although we can find our way round pretty good its difficult sometimes to know what roads and area's are called :jap:

Suggest you read the title of the post - perfect description

I heard that too.

JH

It's View Talay Villa's, the perimeter wall of the development is right next to the new bars and restaurants, I saw it coming two or three years back and sold before it became a problem.

View Talay Villa's, knew it was something like that, i had a look there about 6 or 7 years ago, although very nice the plots were small and i thought overpriced....

Bet you're happy you sold then...

JH

There's worse: the View Talay Residences used to be rather nice places on a quiet back street. The balconies are now about 2 yards from Jomtien 2nd Road.

I wouldn't live there if someone paid me to.

The new bar/restaurant/market area is fine to visit though. I expect to go there quite often when I finally move to Jomtien (assuming I can still walk by then).

To be clear, my OP wasn't really about the topic of buying a residence in the area, pro or con. It was about an emerging neighborhood that is offering stuff not otherwise available in the city. Flooding? It's been a wet wet season. Did you see the flooding in Pattaya this year?

BTW, the name of the decent Italian owned restaurant that I suggested roughly across the street from Bali Breeze is La Merenda. It's a rustic little place, but charming, many Italian customers, and also sells Italian breads to go, etc. Dinner plates in the 200 range.

Edited by Jingthing

The menu from Bali Breeze.

BALI BREEZE Menu

Items have Indonesian and English descriptions, prices in baht.

Soto ajam (Chicken Soup) 80

Soto ajam Lodeh (Chicken soup, vegetable, coconut milk) 90

Pisang goring or Pangsit (Fried banana or meatloaf with crunchy coat) 90

Loempia semanang (springroll ,chicken, vegetable) 90

Sate Babi (pork satay) 95

Sate ajam (chicken satay) 85 (*)

Nasi Poetih (steamed rice dish) 30 (*)

Nasi Koening (fried yellow rice) 50

Nasi Goreng (fried rice) 50

Bami goring (fried noodle) 50

Mihoen goring (fried small noodle) 50

Seroendeng (dry fried coconut, peanuts) 20

Atjar Tjampoer (sweet and sour vegetable) 20 (*)

Smoor Daging Semoer (sweet beef) 175

Rendang Daging (spicy beef with coconut) 175 (*)

Babi Ritja Pedis (spicy chilli pork) 145

Ajam Lodeh (chicken, coconut, vegetable) 125

Ajam Ketjap (chicken in sweet kecap) 125

Ajam Pedis (spicy chicken) 125

Ajam Pangang (roasted sweet & sour chicken) 125

Bali Manis (sweet herbal pork) 145

Deng deng peteh (spicy beef, tamarind,peteh bean) 175

Ribs Tulang (roasted ribs in black sauce)145

Oedang peteh (prawns with peteh beans) 250

Ikan Boemboe Bali (spicy fish with Balinese sauce) 250

Babi padang (pork with roasted coconut) 145

Gado gado (sautéed mix vegetables with peanut sauce) 125 (*)

Sajor lodeh (mixed vegetables in coconut milk) 100

Sambal goreng boontjes (spicy beans) 100

Sambal goring telor (egg in spicy sauce) 50

Tahoe sambal telor tauge (tofu, egg and bean sprout in spicy sauce) 120

Ajam curry (chicken with yellow curry) 125

Dadar oedang telor (omelette with prawn) 100

INTERNATIONAL MENU

Spaghetti Bolognaise 100

Macaroni with omelette 100

Cheese 50

Spaghetti Carbonara 100

Linzen soup 80

Tomato and vegetable soup 80

Bami Omelette (fried noodles with chicken wrapped in omelette) 125

Bami schotel (noodles with 2 satay, fried chicken, fried egg and pork) 150

Nasi schotel (fried rice with 2 satay, fried chicken, fried egg and pork) 150

Frites schotel sate (French fries with satay) 150

Frites schotel stoofviees (French fries with meat stew) 175

Frites met balletjes in tomaten sauce (French fries with

minced pork balls in tomto sauce) 175

Varkens procureur met gebakken aardappels (porkchops with fried potatoes) 175

Visfilet met krokant jasje en gele rijst met groenten (fishsteak with crunchy coat, yellow rice and vegetables) 225

RICE TABLE BALI

For 2 persons, 10 dishes a person 300

RICE TABLE BREEZE

For 2 persons, 12 dishes a person 375

You can choose Mild—Medium—Spicy

RICE TABLE BALI BREEZE

For 2 persons, 15 dishes a person 425

RICE TABLE BALI BREEZE HEIGHTS

For 2 persons, 15 dishes a person 500

Soup as starter and ice cream as dessert

To be clear, my OP wasn't really about the topic of buying a residence in the area, pro or con. It was about an emerging neighborhood that is offering stuff not otherwise available in the city. Flooding? It's been a wet wet season. Did you see the flooding in Pattaya this year?

BTW, the name of the decent Italian owned restaurant that I suggested roughly across the street from Bali Breeze is La Merenda. It's a rustic little place, but charming, many Italian customers, and also sells Italian breads to go, etc. Dinner plates in the 200 range.

Bali Breeze is nice Went when it first opened. Must try La Merenda. The Pig and Whistle was nice as well for English food. The place is certainly livelier than it was a year ago. Which is good as not everyone likes going into Pattaya all the time.

Its great how people slate an area without actually living there. I'm in Jomtien Park Villas and I never hear a thing from the bars. We chose to stay in Jomtien because Pattaya didnt suit us but I dont go slating it . Each to there own.

Spaghetti Bolognaise 100

Macaroni with omelette 100

Spaghetti Carbonara 100

As i mentioned somewhere in one of my old posts, if you want to eat decent italian food, always go to an italian restaurant, making sure there are actually italians working there....

I did try many different places, but all the times i have been disappointed, no wonder last month watching tv between one thing and the next, i saw one of those thai shows where they do lots of gags, and when one of them mentioned to the other his thoughts about "italian food" the response was the other thai sounding like if he was vomiting, and with all the food pretending to be italian around, that's an understandable reaction, i even noticed some of the local bakers putting lots of sugar inside the bread because they think that for us, our common bread is just a cake, and they describe it as "cakes" in the thai language too.

However, i do still try sometime those places, especially when they look promising, in the hope to find someone that can cook the right thing in a proper manner and with the right ingredients....

Good topic JT

I usually stay in this area when down to the sea, and like to see positive development! Did check out the bar area a couple of months ago, and will definitely have a closer look at the new restaurants at next visit. :D

HUH? That menu is from Bali Breeze. They have mostly Indonesian food, some Dutch dishes for obvious colonial reasons, and yes a very few "international" favorites like Spaghetti Bolognaise. It is not an Italian restaurant! In my view, it would be daft to order spaghetti there.

The rice table prices are PER person.

I have changed my holiday location from central Pattaya to Jomtien also two years ago. I normally stay in the Jomtien Beach Penthouse (Soi 9) where it is quiet and the beach mostly sees families.

And I agree that the Jomtien area has developped pretty well with shops, restauants etc... even have to say that the best restaurant I found in all Pattaya so far is Bruno's (Swiss chef... high quality of food and service... fantastic wines.... very high prices...) and down Thapphraya towards the beach, they have some nice bars like the country bars (just like the music there...)

My ex-GF opened two Thai massage shops there this year (no, NO sex, NO rebates for you guys... ;-) ) and tells me she has pretty much regulars who live in that area, therefore even in low tourist season, she's making good money with them, better than her shops in Central Pattaya

When time comes, my plan is definitely to find me a place around Jomtien... given it does'nt get worse in the next 2-3 years..

I heard that too.

Suggest you read the title of the post - perfect description

Yes i know but as i said it is not always obvious what roads are called there and where different areas are, anyway i was asking Jingthing !!!!

Bali Breeze is nice Went when it first opened. Must try La Merenda. The Pig and Whistle was nice as well for English food. The place is certainly livelier than it was a year ago. Which is good as not everyone likes going into Pattaya all the time.

Its great how people slate an area without actually living there. I'm in Jomtien Park Villas and I never hear a thing from the bars. We chose to stay in Jomtien because Pattaya didnt suit us but I dont go slating it . Each to there own.

Don't fully understand your post viz Pig and Whistle, but a branch of this has just opened in Jomtien, near the Jomtien Complex. Came across it a couple of days ago and thought it was a nice change. If u want to go to an up and coming place, then Jomtien Complex fills all the boxes for restaurants. Glad I bought in Jomtien now. The new Thappraya road has made a big difference and there's even a TOPS Express.

Edited by Card

After long time I didn't go to Jomtien I read this post and decided to go and check out the area. I am Italian and was interested in trying the Italian restaurant La Merenda (one of the few things I miss of my country is the food). Once there I noticed a place called Eataly. It is at the corner between soi 5 and Jomtien 2nd road, between a 7/11 and a dental clinic. I went in an with my big surprise it is not a restaurant (even if they have a few tables and serve espresso coffee, sandwiches, piadina ecc.). It is a shop that sells Italian food and wine. They have an impressive selection of Italian cold meats, cheeses, wines, spirits, pasta, oil, ice-creams and Italian products in general. Believe me, even in Italy it's not easy to find a shop that sells so many different products all together. And all products have an excellent quality and a normal price (for Thailand). I am a pretty good cook but I have always had problems to find some of the ingredients I was looking for, here in Thailand. I used to shop at Villa, which for me had the best selection of Italian products so far (better than Foodland). Now this place has a much bigger selection than Villa and more or less the same prices. I spoke with one of the owners of the place (who are Italians) and he told me that they can afford to have such a huge choice of products because they are suppliers for restaurants and hotels. They decided to open a shop where they sell the same products as retail sale to normal people. Now this shop really made my day. So at the end I didn't try La Merenda but I highly reccomend Eataly if your looking for genuine Italian products.

Edited by Brunus