Jomtien 2Nd Road And Soi 5

Jingthing

Yes, I am glad to see Eataly is doing well. They've been there awhile and I didn't think it fit for the area so well then, but now I think it does more so. Le Meranda is on the same side of the street approx. 3 blocks south. I must say La Meranda is a little funky. Sometimes it is better than other times. One day a pasta dish might be freshly made, another time microwaved. I suggest actually asking what is fresh. My favorites have been the main course specials like Italian meat loaf with asparagus and potatoes. Its cheap enough that you can't complain much and like I said they attract Italians.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ship all the Russian, Arab, Iranian, and Indian tourists over there. Then it will become a wonderful multicultural mosaic. :lol:

You know, that's just a waste of sarcastic breath. It's an area where many farangs reside, already a nice part of Jomtien. Now, it's (logically) attracted quite a few new bars & resto's who have situated themselves all around the (pre-existing and well-attended) local market. That's business, here or anywhere- simple to understand. You don't like it- you don't go there (where do you like to go, anyway?). As for your wise guy post- as far as I know, everyone is in fact welcome there- even you, krap... and that's a good thing.

B)

Well said!!!...............its an ok place for food, drinks and free pool.....never any trouble, easy parking..what more could a punter want

Well said!!!...............its an ok place for food, drinks and free pool.....never any trouble, easy parking..what more could a punter want

Loads of attractive men/women/ladyboys err people working in the bars ? ;)

Call me superficial but that is one of the factors that attracts me to a bar or bar area.

Londo

Edited by londoedan

Yes, I am glad to see Eataly is doing well. They've been there awhile and I didn't think it fit for the area so well then, but now I think it does more so. Le Meranda is on the same side of the street approx. 3 blocks south. I must say La Meranda is a little funky. Sometimes it is better than other times. One day a pasta dish might be freshly made, another time microwaved. I suggest actually asking what is fresh. My favorites have been the main course specials like Italian meat loaf with asparagus and potatoes. Its cheap enough that you can't complain much and like I said they attract Italians.

I have tried almost all the Italian restaurants in town, so I guess it's just a matter of days before I'll try La Merenda :D

As for Eataly I am not sure if they are doing so well as for selling. I was the only customer and I have been in the shop for more than an hour (I drank espresso, ate piadina with prosciutto crudo and stracchino, had a look to all the products they have, talked to the owner, bought pancetta, lardo di Colonnata, salsiccia and a bottle of Primitivo di Puglia). I don't know if it is the location. Maybe they don't advertise much, considering that I have been looking for years for a shop like this one and I found it only now by chance. I thought they were a new shop but if you say that they have been there for a while I don't know what else to think. I hope they won't close now that I found my culinary heaven in Thailand.

There is another very large new Italian food product store located on Sukhumvit Rd just before the new Duty Free Shop and Pattaya Klang on the left side of Suk if you are heading from Pattaya Tai towards North Pattaya

:offtopic:

The topic is "Jomtien 2Nd Road And Soi 5 Hot neighborhood!"

After long time I didn't go to Jomtien I read this post and decided to go and check out the area. I am Italian and was interested in trying the Italian restaurant La Merenda (one of the few things I miss of my country is the food). Once there I noticed a place called Eataly. It is at the corner between soi 5 and Jomtien 2nd road, between a 7/11 and a dental clinic. I went in an with my big surprise it is not a restaurant (even if they have a few tables and serve espresso coffee, sandwiches, piadina ecc.). It is a shop that sells Italian food and wine. They have an impressive selection of Italian cold meats, cheeses, wines, spirits, pasta, oil, ice-creams and Italian products in general. Believe me, even in Italy it's not easy to find a shop that sells so many different products all together. And all products have an excellent quality and a normal price (for Thailand). I am a pretty good cook but I have always had problems to find some of the ingredients I was looking for, here in Thailand. I used to shop at Villa, which for me had the best selection of Italian products so far (better than Foodland). Now this place has a much bigger selection than Villa and more or less the same prices. I spoke with one of the owners of the place (who are Italians) and he told me that they can afford to have such a huge choice of products because they are suppliers for restaurants and hotels. They decided to open a shop where they sell the same products as retail sale to normal people. Now this shop really made my day. So at the end I didn't try La Merenda but I highly reccomend Eataly if your looking for genuine Italian products.

The place strikes me as a litttle odd. While they have a good selection of wine and an interesting but limited selection of cheese, i coudn't figure out why they were sellingNutella sandwhich spread!(Why not sell kraft dinner while you're at it?) And the cakes sold by the piece were the same second-rate stuff sold in many coffee shops around Pattaya. I guess they cater to the low standards of the local market....

i coudn't figure out why they were sellingNutella sandwhich spread!

It's an Italian brand (Ferrero). As such it fits in an Italian deli, in the same way as you might expect to find HP sauce, Cadburys Dairy Milk and Marmite in a British food shop, even a classy one.

After long time I didn't go to Jomtien I read this post and decided to go and check out the area. I am Italian and was interested in trying the Italian restaurant La Merenda (one of the few things I miss of my country is the food). Once there I noticed a place called Eataly. It is at the corner between soi 5 and Jomtien 2nd road, between a 7/11 and a dental clinic. I went in an with my big surprise it is not a restaurant (even if they have a few tables and serve espresso coffee, sandwiches, piadina ecc.). It is a shop that sells Italian food and wine. They have an impressive selection of Italian cold meats, cheeses, wines, spirits, pasta, oil, ice-creams and Italian products in general. Believe me, even in Italy it's not easy to find a shop that sells so many different products all together. And all products have an excellent quality and a normal price (for Thailand). I am a pretty good cook but I have always had problems to find some of the ingredients I was looking for, here in Thailand. I used to shop at Villa, which for me had the best selection of Italian products so far (better than Foodland). Now this place has a much bigger selection than Villa and more or less the same prices. I spoke with one of the owners of the place (who are Italians) and he told me that they can afford to have such a huge choice of products because they are suppliers for restaurants and hotels. They decided to open a shop where they sell the same products as retail sale to normal people. Now this shop really made my day. So at the end I didn't try La Merenda but I highly reccomend Eataly if your looking for genuine Italian products.

The place strikes me as a litttle odd. While they have a good selection of wine and an interesting but limited selection of cheese, i coudn't figure out why they were sellingNutella sandwhich spread!(Why not sell kraft dinner while you're at it?) And the cakes sold by the piece were the same second-rate stuff sold in many coffee shops around Pattaya. I guess they cater to the low standards of the local market....

As Darrel said Nutella is a typical Italian food. Maybe not a classic but for sure everyone in Italy loves Nutella. The selection of cheese didn't seem limited to me, considering that we are in Thailand and these products expire quickly. On the contrary I found some cheese that I have never seen before in Thailand. I don't eat cakes so I can't tell you about them.

There is another very large new Italian food product store located on Sukhumvit Rd just before the new Duty Free Shop and Pattaya Klang on the left side of Suk if you are heading from Pattaya Tai towards North Pattaya

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go and check it out :jap:

As Darrel said Nutella is a typical Italian food. Maybe not a classic but for sure everyone in Italy loves Nutella. The selection of cheese didn't seem limited to me, considering that we are in Thailand and these products expire quickly. On the contrary I found some cheese that I have never seen before in Thailand. I don't eat cakes so I can't tell you about them.

Interesting. Many people will just think of Nutella as like a jam product ...a spread and not a particularly healthful one at that..but maybe that is just the American "kraft" version.Yes some of the cheeses were exotic like sheep cheese(no Venezualan beaver cheese though :) )but I didn't see old cheddar, chesier or even blue cheese there. For sheer vatriety I have yet to see something better than Emporium in Bangkok(though I hear that special supermarket in Chiang Mai could be better)

Many people will just think of Nutella as like a jam product ...a spread and not a particularly healthful one at that..but maybe that is just the American "kraft" version.

Nutella is a sweet spread made of hazelnuts and chocolate (and sugar, fat, flavourings etc).

As far as I know the recipe is the same the world over.

So not exactly healthy, but it is a food (in that it can be eaten and digested).

Jam is a pretty good comparison.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go and check it out :jap:

While there you might want to check out the noodle soup restaurant next door. Best noodle soup in Pattaya!

• 2 weeks later...

Another news flash.

The BOURBON STREET restaurant in the heart of this HOT new area is now open for business.

It is in the same location as the defunct Seafood Emporium.

I haven't tried it yet but they have a very interesting menu indeed.

A full fancy burger and salad menu. New England clam chowder. Some kicky seafood specials. And last but hopefully not least -- CAJUN specialties.

Crab cakes, red beans and rice, Shrimp gumbo, etc.

Prices? Moderate plus. For example the red beans and rice is 180 baht. OK for a meal portion, pricey for a small portion. As I haven't eaten there yet, I can't say.

Frankly, I'm a little skeptical about their chances. But I wish them good luck especially if the food is good, which I can't comment on as yet.

Another news flash.

The BOURBON STREET restaurant in the heart of this HOT new area is now open for business.

It is in the same location as the defunct Seafood Emporium.

I haven't tried it yet but they have a very interesting menu indeed.

A full fancy burger and salad menu. New England clam chowder. Some kicky seafood specials. And last but hopefully not least -- CAJUN specialties.

Crab cakes, red beans and rice, Shrimp gumbo, etc.

Prices? Moderate plus. For example the red beans and rice is 180 baht. OK for a meal portion, pricey for a small portion. As I haven't eaten there yet, I can't say.

Frankly, I'm a little skeptical about their chances. But I wish them good luck especially if the food is good, which I can't comment on as yet.

This is not the same Bourbon Street restaurant as the well known one in Bangkok I am told.

• 1 month later...

Bourbon Street is now Oxford Street and also has Russian food!

For a while they were listing English style specials on their outside board.

Recently, nothing.

I did look at their menu and they had about six New Orleans dishes.

I don't know if they still do.

They appear, sadly for them, to be doing very poor business numbers.

I decided not to even try their New Orleans food because I was skeptical that with so few customers they would actually have the bandwidth to cook those dishes fresh.

I think a good idea for them, if they had kept with the New Orleans idea, would have been to do New Orleans style specials some days, such as Red beans and rice night, Gumbo night, etc. I would have tried it if they had done that, but Gammon steak just doesn't do it for me. Oh well. I wish them luck, maybe the Russians will go for the Russian menu.

I quite like that area. The bars are not "creepy". Can go there with a farang female friend and not get complaints. Can go there alone and get company, or more "up to you" as they say. The market is quite nice. Restaurants and shops around. I just discovered the area a few days ago, so maybe I am a bit in a "wow" mode, but the first impressions count and in this area for me it has been good.

• 4 weeks later...

I am awarding La Merenda a 2 thumbs up after my meal last evening.

Pasta Fagioli (bean/pasta soup) topped with an ample serving of parmesan cheese & served with some great Italian bread. One of the best meals I have ever had.

I mentioned to the chef what a delicious meal he had created and he smiled like a proud papa. Charming fellow.

This was my 4th or 5th visit and the place really grows on you.

The prices are so good here that I doubt he makes any profit. My guess he's a retired Italian chef that runs the place as a hobby.

There were 12 other diners there last nite and everything coming out of the kitchen looked delicious.

Service was smooth.

La Merenda, Italian on 2nd Road near Soi 7, Jomtien.

Yes La Merenda is a good little spot indeed.

BTW, looking over the new Oxford Street menu again it became clear to me that they are connected with Oasis (Italian and Russian) restaurant on Soi 5 and Jomtien beach road. They have dropped all the New Orleans dishes. Not sure why you would choose to eat the same and prices there when you could have it with a beach view.

Edited by Jingthing

I still like the bars at the market BUT it is hard to find a place now that does not have music so loud that it's hard to have a conversation , it seems to be going the way of other bar beer complexes in Pattaya where it's a competition to play the loudest music.

Sexy Girl bar on the frount right hand corner nearest the hamburger stand are good , they turn the music down if there are a few of you.

The lady at the hamburger stand is really busy now every night , order the chips( fries) @ 30 Baht with two sauces , good with a beer.

There is a mobile soup vendor who seems to have connered the market riding around feeding the bar girls ; looks good but real spicy of course

Not so keen on all the stalls set up there now.

Edited by stailmanki

I dont frequent the bars but I eat Thai food in the night stall area most evenings (when I can fend off the Russian, Scandinavian and German hordes), and I sometimes buy fruit and veg in the wet market. It's a good area.

The chips with sauce at 30B sound interesting. I will have a look for those very soon.