Dalai Lama cancels trip to South Africa due to visa delay

News_Editor

Dalai Lama cancels trip to South Africa due to visa delay

2011-10-05 23:51:32 GMT+7 (ICT)

DHARAMSALA, INDIA (BNO NEWS) -- The Dalai Lama on Tuesday cancelled his planned visit to South Africa after the government failed to issue a visa on time, his office said.

The Dalai Lama's office in India released a statement saying his trip had been cancelled. "Since the South African government seems to find it inconvenient to issue a visa to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, His Holiness has decided to call off this visit to South Africa," the statement said.

The Dalai Lama was to depart for South Africa on Thursday but visas had not been granted as of Wednesday. "His Holiness does not wish to be the subject of anyone's inconvenience whether they are individuals or governments. He particularly regrets the inconvenience caused to his hosts and the many members of the South African public who were keenly waiting to receive him," the statement added.

The Tibetan spiritual leader had been invited to attend the Nobel Peace laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu's 80th birthday. He was also scheduled to give public lectures at two universities and accept the Mahatma Gandhi peace prize in Durban.

There was no explanation from the South African government, which has been slammed as "unaccountable, secretive and disrespectful" for its inaction over granting the Dalai Lama a visa.

The Dalai Lama has resided in the Indian city of Dharamsala, which is now the seat of the Tibetan Government-in-exile, since 1960 following a failed uprising against Chinese rule of Tibet. China continues to claim Tibet as a region of their territory, though Tibetans have disagreed for many years.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-05

It's rather ironic that having fought so long for self-determination against an external oppressor the ANC government seem to have a problem inviting the leader of another people battling for the same. I guess Chinese raw materials demand is most lucrative and is certainly worth more than principles.

It's rather ironic that having fought so long for self-determination against an external oppressor the ANC government seem to have a problem inviting the leader of another people battling for the same. I guess Chinese raw materials demand is most lucrative and is certainly worth more than principles.

Yes, they even upset the USA with their Chinese trade relations. Possibly a smart move from the ANC, since it appears that America have all but forgotten the incident. I think it is most interesting because I am sure the Dalai Lama would have supported the ANC during the 'struggle', and certainly I am sure that Tutu would have been honoured.

Funny thing: Tutu has called the ANC corrupt and inept; could this in fact be a way of snubbing Tutu??

Study some real (non-Richard Gere) Tibeten history and you'll learn that the title "Oppressor" suits the Dali Lama's predecessors quite well.

Study some real (non-Richard Gere) Tibeten history and you'll learn that the title "Oppressor" suits the Dali Lama's predecessors quite well.

Actually I agree with you. I've been to Tibet and some of my background reading done outside China demonstrated how Tibet was actually a barbaric feudal system. Peasants who ran away from their masters often had their eyes put out or were killed. This said China have cited the human rights situation in Tibet prior to their invasion, but China's own human rights record demonstrates their motives in invading were hardly humanitarian. However, returning to topic I doubt the relative merits of the native Tibetans or the Chinese rulers were much of a consideration in South Africa delaying the issue of a visa to the Dalai Lama.

Funny thing: Tutu has called the ANC corrupt and inept; could this in fact be a way of snubbing Tutu??

You could be on to something there. They could never overtly criticize TuTu, but a roundabout snub is a possibility.

South Africa is in the midst of negotiating some development projects with China. To be blunt, SA cannot afford to upset the Chinese since SA needs the investment. The visa shenanigans may be deplorable, but they are understandable in the overall context of serving the best interests of South Africans. China is an important player in Africa.