Flood Update On Trains And Buses To Cm From Bkk

nickth

Hi ,

I will be travelling up to Chiangmai tomorrow but have heard rumours about flooding problems on the routes up there.

I was thinking of getting the night train butmaybe bus would be safer!!

Does anyone know about this or have any relevant info ?

Just googled and found this...

"*Announcement 5th October 2011* All the trains are cancelled due to heavy rain and flood in north region.

Effective 30th September 2011,Due to heavy rain and flood, the railway lines between Lop Buri and Nakhnon Sawan are affected. So all the trains in north region are cancelled.The passenger who have already booked the tickets online can cancelled their tickets and get their money at all railway station. Resumption in services will be announced later."

at...

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1

Not sure about the buses though.

Good luck!

CMMCB

Thanks very much for this info CMMCB. I will try to find out about buses today but if anyone else knows about bus travel problems to CM please let me know.

I will update any relevant info that I get on the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

From this morning

State Railway of Thailand Cancels Northbound Trains

The State Railway of Thailand has cancels all trains running to and from the North. However, one train running between Chiang Mai and Ban Mee in Lopburi Province. The train leaves Chiang Mai everyday at 6:45 A.M. Another train between Chiang Mai and Nakorn Sawan leaves Chiang Mai at 9:20 A.M.

"Portions of highways are closed and bus

and train services linking Bangkok with points to the north are

suspended and some routes to the northeast have been diverted."

from US Embassy email 5:28 pm today

Difficult to believe private bus companies in Chiang Mai are not running a service to Bangkok of some sort.

Here's another anecdote lifted from another TV thread that may be useful -

This post is a bit off topic, but I headed out of bkk yesterday after bagging up the refer & moving other stuff upstairs. We went via:Petchasam to321 to 340 to 3032 to 32. it took over 12 hours to reach Sukhothai. the route and detours were clearly marked with large white signs with red letters. the signs were in Thai only. sorry for the format, postingfrom my phone.

Update -

Roads:

--Highway 32, also known as The Asian Highway (AH-2), in central Thailand is partly affected by the floods. Inter-provincial buses between Bangkok and the north and northeast of Thailand are operating, but subject to detours and extended travel times.

-- Inter-provincial buses to eastern, western, and southern Thailand are operating as per normal.

Train services:

--Train services from Bangkok to northern destinations are suspended due to the tracks being flooded. The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) is offering full refunds on tickets for travelers who want to cancel their trips to destinations where train service is suspended.

--Train services to other parts of Thailand are operating as per normal.