Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

I only ate at Sunrise once many years ago in Bangkok, at the Emporium I believe? I had a corn tortilla taco (is there any other kind) and was shocked at the tortilla. Someone mentioned recently in this thread that it was like there were little stones of corn in the tortilla--that is exactly as I remember it. It also fell apart like it was made of brittle plastic.

I know that Sunrise is proud of the fact that they import their corn from the US and hand make their tortillas, but perhaps there is a problem and Sunrise is burying their head in the sand.

My credentials--I've spent quite a bit of time in Mexico, have bought many a corn tortilla there, and have never had anything remotely like what I had at Sunrise that day. I never have been back to Sunrise, by the way, but I may try the Jomtien location just out of curiosity.

The soft corn tortillas are improved from the early Sunrise days.

I think you will like them now. I had them on opening day. They held up nicely.

Sunrise doubled them up too, just like the Mexican places I enjoyed back home.

People that are used to the store bought corn tortillas might find them a bit different in taste and texture.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foul! You don't know what they earn. I don't know what they earn. I do know I read in another reliable source which I can't mention that they are paid above average and that it is subsidized by the 10 percent service charge.

...... As I said, I do not know what they earn and even if they earn 10,000 baht / month, that still is not a lot to live on regardless of how many Thai citizens do live on it and often much less. I would still tip them just the same.

I am sorry, if a business says they are charging us a ten percent service charge, it is not our business to know the exact details of its disbursement.

.....Nor did I ask for the details. And, as I do not know, and after 21 years I have seen that it does not always go to the staff 100%, and even if in this case it may very well go to the staff, I would still add to it. 10% is a pretty cheap tip in my opinion.

If you normally tip 20 baht

.... I don't, and as I just tipped Service Charge = 10% and another 13% = 23% on a 750 baht bill, I am scratching my head as to where you would come up with this 20 baht amount for a tip on a meal directed at me.

which is a standard very acceptable and welcome typical tip in Thailand

.....from whom?

and the service charge makes you pay 50 baht tip, why tip more?

.... in my case the service charge was 82? baht, and I added 115 more or less. The service was fine.

.....In your example, you did not state the amount of the bill when you noted the two amounts for 50 baht service charge and 20 baht tip. If the bill was near 500, and there was a 10% = 50 baht service charge and the service was really good, I would add another 40 / 50 baht or whatever rounded off well. I had no complaints about the service and no complaints about tipping. The problem at the place was the flavor of the food and its price for what was offered. I even liked the seats. :-)

I don't see that as punishing anyone. This isn't America. This is not a tip by cost of bill culture. The service charge forces that on customers. Fine, do what you want, but your guilt trip lectures are uncalled for.

...What "guilt trip" lectures? Why are you under the impression that anything I have written is a lecture?

I tip and I do not think any differently of anyone who tips more or less than me, and neither I nor anyone else tips the same all of the time.

If it makes you feel like Mr. Big to throw your money around and act the white man's burden by tipping way above the cultural standards here, good for you.

..... And if it doesn't? An extra hundred baht here and there is hardly throwing money around. White man's burden? I would tip the same in the USA as well.

It's your choice. Don't impose your values on others visiting and living in this foreign country though.

.... Imposing my values. I have yet to TELL anyone what they SHOULD do.

...The one thing I liked at the restaurant was the service, and I paid for it according to what I felt, and the salsas were very good, too.

There is no need to tip like an American in Thailand -- PERIOD.

...I have no idea why in this thread you are looking for ways to disagree with nearly everything I have written, even about something I liked, the service.

...I hope that you give the place a try, if you have not already done, and you are very happy with it.

My daughter and her boyfriend went to Sunrise in Jomtien last night. They thought the place looked really good, the menu looked appetizing and were looking forward to their meal. And that is the last positive thing they said.

They waited 20 minutes before being served. Even though there were 6 waiting staff hanging around chatting

THeir order was brought out wrong three times. THe third time they were brought 6 meals!!! They had ordered the combo (one each of three items) but instead were brought three full meals of each, times two!!!

THe enchilada was totally cold inside.

THe food was soggy and bland.

They won't serve a large Diet Coke even though its just two cans in a big glass.

During the time they were in the place two tables got up and walked out.

They asked to see the manager but were refused. And, of course, not a hint of an apology.

THey had to argue about the bill as they wanted to charge them for 6 meals. Who orders 6 meals???

All in all they were heartily disappointed for a meal that eventually cost them 900 baht ++ and will not be returning. SInce recommendations are everything I won't be either. Now the apologists might cite teething troubles but we are talking about a well oiled machine here. Bangkoks' Sunrise has been around for ever and is consistently good. Maybe they should have sent someone from there down.

When you have Mikes Mexican Grill not far away the management might want to take notice or they will find themselves empty when the tourists go.

Remember the old adage: If you have a good meal you will tell someone; if you have a bad meal you will tell everyone.

THeir order was brought out wrong three times. THe third time they were brought 6 meals!!! They had ordered the combo (one each of three items) but instead were brought three full meals of each, times two!!!

Gil better get on THAT...lots of his money going town the toilet on mistakes like this!

Looks like those prep-cooks were moved up to the chef line too quickly!

When you have Mikes Mexican Grill not far away the management might want to take notice or they will find themselves empty when the tourists go.

Counting on clueless Ruskies and those "trendy Thais" I guess. :blink:

Edited by FarangBuddha

I only ate at Sunrise once many years ago in Bangkok, at the Emporium I believe? I had a corn tortilla taco (is there any other kind) and was shocked at the tortilla. Someone mentioned recently in this thread that it was like there were little stones of corn in the tortilla--that is exactly as I remember it. It also fell apart like it was made of brittle plastic.

I know that Sunrise is proud of the fact that they import their corn from the US and hand make their tortillas, but perhaps there is a problem and Sunrise is burying their head in the sand.

My credentials--I've spent quite a bit of time in Mexico, have bought many a corn tortilla there, and have never had anything remotely like what I had at Sunrise that day. I never have been back to Sunrise, by the way, but I may try the Jomtien location just out of curiosity.

People that are used to the store bought corn tortillas might find them a bit different in taste and texture.

Are you saying that when you order a soft corn taco they use two corn tortillas, just like the real thing in Mexico? I have not seen that in Thailand. On another note, and not directed at PaulJones, it is very, very difficult it is to start a restaurant in Thailand? While I fully understand how not getting what you ordered can be very frustrating (and sometimes expensive), I think people should give them some time to get the logistical issues sorted out. We are lucky to have any Mexican restaurant in the heart of Jomtien. No doubt the owner, Gil, is working very hard to make the place a success.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Now the apologists might cite teething troubles but we are talking about a well oiled machine here. Bangkoks' Sunrise has been around for ever and is consistently good.

I have seen a number of experienced restaurateurs open new branches in Chiang Mai and it always takes around a month to sort out all the problems and the food is very hit and miss. I will not go to a newly opened place for at least a few weeks for this reason.

Now the apologists might cite teething troubles but we are talking about a well oiled machine here. Bangkoks' Sunrise has been around for ever and is consistently good.

I have seen a number of experienced restaurateurs open new branches in Chiang Mai and it always takes around a month to sort out all the problems and the food is very hit and miss. I will not go to a newly opened place for at least a few weeks for this reason.

I agree - give this place some time! :D

Thanks for that--now I'm sure to give them a try.

I totally agree! People who go in so soon to any new place in Thailand (famous for staff issues) should be aware it is going to be a bigger risk of opening time problems. On the other hand I understand the impulse to try out their food fast. I don't doubt this new place is here to stay and that in the long run, most local people appreciating Mexican food are going to be quite happy to have this option.

Edited by Jingthing

.... Imposing my values. I have yet to TELL anyone what they SHOULD do.

This is semantics now. You did say:

Others may love the place, and I hope they are happy as can be and tip well.

and my response was ten percent service charge is already tipping well in the context of tipping culture in Thailand. We can agree to disagree. Cheers.

I totally agree! People who go in so soon to any new place in Thailand (famous for staff issues) should be aware it is going to be a bigger risk of opening time problems. On the other hand I understand the impulse to try out their food fast. I don't doubt this new place is here to stay and that in the long run, most local people appreciating Mexican food are going to be quite happy to have this option.

Maybe owners should knock down prices 25-50% during this period as customers are basically acting as unpaid testers and tasters!

Gil better get on THAT...lots of his money going town the toilet on mistakes like this!

Hi,

We are working on all of this, it will be solved today. Our kitchen blew up last night. What happened was, from morning all day, we had very few customers. We assumed it was due to the holiday (King's Birthday). So, we let a cook go early at 7pm because he had been working for month without a day off. Then, all of a sudden, the doors opened and it was like 3 tour buses arrived (felt like that anyhow). We were caught with our pants down.

We are however, fixing it today. We have installed another flat grill, and another fryer. Staff are being re-trained on the menu items (see above) that we do not usually see. A variety of other improvements are also being made. When its that busy, our challenge is to maintain food quality at all costs, but honestly speaking, that did not happen last night. I hope that we don't get judged by a customer who experienced last night (having just been open 5 days also), I would hope that folks give us a chance to see our improvements. The committement is there from our side.

Thank you,

Gil

Maybe owners should knock down prices 25-50% during this period as customers are basically acting as unpaid testers and tasters!

Maybe. In any case, many of us have great hopes this place will improve over time as the potential for something really satisfying for many of us is clearly in place.

I note the management are ignoring the question of ++ in a fast food joint?

With all due respect, we are not fast food. The amount of preparation that goes into each dish is staggering. I will extend an open invitation here today - if you are interested to see our prep kitchen on the 2nd flood, PM me and I will personally take you. For example, the corn is boiled, and then soaked for 10 hours before grinding, and pressing. Then, the tortillas are flash fried and warmed. The meat for the Birria soup is marinated for 18 hours. All of the sauces and salsas are made fresh each morning. How is this fast food?

Come see the operation, I think you'll enjoy the visit. The ++ is so that we can hire, train and maintain high service standards; many of the Thai places I visit seem to have zombies working for them, which is what we try to avoid. All of our branches strive to keep high service standards, although even I will admit more training is needed on our side.

Best,

Gil

I agree. Mike's has excellent food. My wife and I visit with our family 2-3 times per month. His margaritas are excellent. I also know Mike personally, and I like him as a person. We bumped into each other at a commercial food store the other day, both of us were eyeing each other's carts. Funny.

Best,

Gil

With all due respect, we are not fast food. The amount of preparation that goes into each dish is staggering. I will extend an open invitation here today - if you are interested to see our prep kitchen on the 2nd flood, PM me and I will personally take you. For example, the corn is boiled, and then soaked for 10 hours before grinding, and pressing. Then, the tortillas are flash fried and warmed. The meat for the Birria soup is marinated for 18 hours. All of the sauces and salsas are made fresh each morning. How is this fast food?

Come see the operation, I think you'll enjoy the visit. The ++ is so that we can hire, train and maintain high service standards; many of the Thai places I visit seem to have zombies working for them, which is what we try to avoid. All of our branches strive to keep high service standards, although even I will admit more training is needed on our side.

Best,

Gil

That's all cool and I'm not complaining about this as it's your business decision. I totally see it isn't fast food. However, you'll have to realize many people are wondering if you want to pay your staff better, and it's clear that's justified, why not just raise the prices to the level where you feel you can? Plus plus (specifically the ten percent item called SERVICE CHARGE, we get you need to pay tax on such a large operation) makes people uncomfortable because they aren't told how the money is spent, and whether it is meant that the TIP is covered or not. I read service charge as you are telling us the tip is covered. As you know, this isn't the USA where people by custom tip 15 to 20 percent. Whether you think it is acceptable or not, I can tell you many locals, Thais and expats, think tipping 20 baht period without relation to bill total is totally normal in Thailand for service. Not everyone, but very common. So if someone comes into your place and spends 500 baht, and 50 baht is taken for service charge, they may feel manipulated into tipping even more because of your pricing structure, and understandably not appreciate the psychology of that.

This is not of course an issue only with your operation but any food place adding a service charge in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

:rolleyes:

With all due respect, we are not fast food. The amount of preparation that goes into each dish is staggering. I will extend an open invitation here today - if you are interested to see our prep kitchen on the 2nd flood, PM me and I will personally take you. For example, the corn is boiled, and then soaked for 10 hours before grinding, and pressing. Then, the tortillas are flash fried and warmed. The meat for the Birria soup is marinated for 18 hours. All of the sauces and salsas are made fresh each morning. How is this fast food? :rolleyes: Agree. I would eat there if the staff got the plus.B)

Best,

Gil

That's all cool and I'm not complaining about this as it's your business decision. I totally see it isn't fast food. However, you'll have to realize many people are wondering if you want to pay your staff better, and it's clear that's justified, why not just raise the prices to the level where you feel you can? Plus plus (specifically the ten percent item called SERVICE CHARGE, we get you need to pay tax on such a large operation) makes people uncomfortable because they aren't told how the money is spent, and whether it is meant that the TIP is covered or not. I read service charge as you are telling us the tip is covered. As you know, this isn't the USA where people by custom tip 15 to 20 percent.

Got invited for breakfast burrito at 9am. Will it be open? And yes to salsa.

My (rhetorical) question was answered. Arrived shortly after 9am and not to my surprise the doors were locked. My friends had not arrived so I went round the corner for a coffee. After twenty minutes or so I went back and my buddies were sitting there. I sat down. No one (of the staff) paid any attention to us. After another fifteen minutes I left. I did mention to my friends how they were having problems with some staff not showing and those that did show were working long days. I hope my pals enjoyed the experience, though somehow I doubt it. Good luck to them and those that enjoy their fare.

By mid December, we will be open 24 hours.

Best,

Gil

Best,

Gil

Completely agree that an operation such as yours is not "fast food." It's a business decision but why not just "hide" the service charge in the item price and avoid the negative Vibe of a 10% service charge?

And good luck teaching Thais what Mexican food should taste and look like when it leaves the kitchen...I know if I had to work in a Thai resto in Frisco, I would be just as clueless.

And good luck teaching Thais what Mexican food should taste and look like when it leaves the kitchen...I know if I had to work in a Thai resto in Frisco, I would be just as clueless.

That's funny. I think most expats who eat a lot of Thai food would know exactly what Thai food is supposed to taste like. But yes of course these Thai workers here aren't likely to know Mexican food. Clearly a challenge.

Edited by Jingthing

That's funny. I think most expats who eat a lot of Thai food would know exactly what Thai food is supposed to taste like. But yes of course these Thai workers here aren't likely to know Mexican food. Clearly a challenge.

I tried the place tonight, but they made me remove my warpaint and feathers before entering :) I will not give a complete review, but will say the staff was friendly and helpful (they were not standing around doing nothing), the owner, Greg seemed like a nice person who is working hard to make the place a success, the interior was very nice (comfortable place to sit and eat), the food is close to California Mex (the food was not cold and the plate was hot), and it did not take a long time to get the food after ordering. The thing I really liked was the salsa bar with many different kinds of salsas (really good idea). You can go up to it and get what you want and take it to your table (try the mango salsa). I prefer Tex-Mex, but I will definitely go back and sample some more dishes. The place was packed, by the way. After talking with the owner and experiencing the place, I am confident it will be a success in Jomtien.

Probably a lot of people dont know what Mexican food is supposed to taste like and in fact i would go so far to say that the majority of customers wont know what real authentic Mexican food is so what really matters is that the food is tasty, service is good and price is right. Most people recognise good tasting food regardless of how close it may or may not be to the original.

I tried the Tuesday & Friday all-you-can-eat feed. We arrived expecting a crowd - wrong! - only 3 customers.

Took 10 minutes to get a Margarita while the bartender stood around doing nothing - probably the order had to be placed into an automated system before he could swing into action. No complimentary chips and salsa, like most Mexican restaurants provide.

Tacos are all single item order, not three per order like their regular menu-- but they don't tell you that, nor do they mention the salsa-bar unless you ask. Tacos were all soft-flour, not the corn chip type.

Tacos were OK, but not extraordinary. Have had better in Southern California. Once you dress them up with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream, they're not bad. Took 20 minutes to get the first order. You can try up to 5 different types of Taco - The Baja-Fish was my favorite.

Since they compound the 10% + 7% additional charges, the total equals a 17.7% add-on, or almost 18%. If you think that 500 Baht (or US$16) is fair for an all-you-can-eat deal (including two Margaritas), then that's your place. Service was good, but would be nice if the wait-staff had something better to do than stand around staring at you as if they had never seen foreigners before . . . :)

Agree 100% I for one English have only tried it once many year's ago, and that was in England. The many year's ago tell's you what I thought of it. I think you would find that most peep's other than American's wont have a clue. What the difference between a Taco & a Tortilla" No don't tell me. Edited by fredob43

I tried the Tuesday & Friday all-you-can-eat feed. We arrived expecting a crowd - wrong! - only 3 customers.

Took 10 minutes to get a Margarita while the bartender stood around doing nothing - probably the order had to be placed into an automated system before he could swing into action. No complimentary chips and salsa, like most Mexican restaurants provide.

Tacos are all single item order, not three per order like their regular menu-- but they don't tell you that, nor do they mention the salsa-bar unless you ask. Tacos were all soft-flour, not the corn chip type.

Tacos were OK, but not extraordinary. Have had better in Southern California. Once you dress them up with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream, they're not bad. Took 20 minutes to get the first order. You can try up to 5 different types of Taco - The Baja-Fish was my favorite.

Since they compound the 10% + 7% additional charges, the total equals a 17.7% add-on, or almost 18%. If you think that 500 Baht (or US$16) is fair for an all-you-can-eat deal (including two Margaritas), then that's your place. Service was good, but would be nice if the wait-staff had something better to do than stand around staring at you as if they had never seen foreigners before . . . :)

sounds too expensive for me. good place for the wealthy elite.

villa and friendship sell frozen mexican food. fairly tasty. 120 for a bag of 4 burritos plus sour cream and salsa a good meal for under 200B. NO ++ GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds too expensive for me. good place for the wealthy elite.

villa and friendship sell frozen mexican food. fairly tasty. 120 for a bag of 4 burritos plus sour cream and salsa a good meal for under 200B. NO ++ GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some comments on the all you can eat taco deal.

The price is 220 baht.

You are not required to buy sour cream extra or guacomole (a lot extra).

You are not required to buy TWO margaritas (at a good deal of 99 baht coupled with the special day).

You could buy the all you can eat tacos plus water at 20 baht.

That's 240 baht plus 17 percent plus plus totaling under 280 baht.

280 baht is hardly an elite level cost for a meal.

About the buffet. I would have have thought the first choices SOFT TACOS would have the OPTION of corn tortillas because those are done with a choice of regular corn, crunchy corn, or flour tortillas on the regular menu. However, on the buffet, the type of tortilla is not mentioned for the first choice, soft tacos. PERHAPS you can ask for corn tortillas for the soft taco choices. Keep in mind the owner has posted here that the TACO MAKING MACHINE was broken. So the issue with lack of corn tortillas MAY have been related to that. I do think it would be unfortunate if you can't get some CORN tortillas with the taco all you can eat deal. I am guessing either this was a temporary issue, or they didn't tell you that you could CHOOSE corn tortillas for the soft tacos.

Here is the menu for all you can eat. Note that type of tortilla not mentioned under the first soft taco set of choices:

http://www.sunrisetacos.com/tacotuesdaymenu.pdf

Edited by Jingthing

Probably a lot of people dont know what Mexican food is supposed to taste like and in fact i would go so far to say that the majority of customers wont know what real authentic Mexican food is so what really matters is that the food is tasty, service is good and price is right. Most people recognise good tasting food regardless of how close it may or may not be to the original.

Of course I don't agree with you in the sense that one of the core markets for a successful Mexican restaurant in Thailand is Americans and Americans generally have a good idea of what decent Mexican food or one of the good American variations tastes like. In the USA today, SALSA sales are greater than ketchup sales. I agree authentic is a loaded word though. For example, if for example the birria soup tastes delicious but takes like borscht instead of a Mexican soup, not so good. Edited by Jingthing