Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to have fun, come at night and see the color light schemes.

Gil

I'm sorry, color light schemes are not my idea of fun and neither for a cool dinning atmosphere. :bah:

I can get color light schemes by walking down Walking Street, which I avoid like the plague.

I will pass on the offer. ;)

Edited by BB1950

If you really want to have fun, come at night and see the color light schemes.

Gil

I'm sorry color light schemes are not my idea of fun, nor for a dinning experience. :bah:

I can get color light schemes by walking down Walking Street, which I avoid like the plague.

I will pass on the offer. ;)

So many negative nellies here.

But whatever you, don't let this poor lady near your joint!

post-37101-0-99525000-1322649951_thumb.j

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/43758/crazed-woman-fixated-by-south-pattaya-streetlight/

Edited by Jingthing

I will still visit Sunrise when I'm in Jomtien!

I'll try to concentrate on the food, not the prices when I read the menu - that way I won't get annoyed when the bill comes. :D

That's true. Thai trendies do like the Bangkok Sunrises and there are always lots of them in Jomtien. Vested interest? Gimme a break :annoyed:

BTW, I really wouldn't call all or even most of the items on their extensive menu fast food. Tacos, sure. And remember they're doing HANDMADE tortillas. That is impressive anywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

JT looks like you should get good service as you may be quite lonely with the number of people who will boycott due to the ++, I fully support them.

Whatever. I don't like ++ either but really can't believe there are that many people who will avoid all restaurants that have that if they are attracted to the place otherwise.

I'm only put off when there are comments or unpleasantness when no tip is forthcoming as I've paid 10% already.

Some places are like this and some are not. Wait and see....

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and that includes the waiter carrying the damed food from the kitchen to the table at no extra cost (or I can go get it myself). Shit what next? An optional extra of 15% if you want the chef to cook it? 5% for the dish washer?

When you buy a product, you should receive the full package and not be expected to pay the staff wages to obtain that product under a separate agreement!

Handmade tortillias??? I thought that was standard fare for Mexican food. What's so special? :huh:

No other place in Pattaya is doing that. The lazy way is buying the machine made brands sold in Thailand. It's considered special in the US at Mexican restaurants. I'd say most don't. More common in Mexico.

JT looks like you should get good service as you may be quite lonely with the number of people who will boycott due to the ++, I fully support them.

Whatever. I don't like ++ either but really can't believe there are that many people who will avoid all restaurants that have that if they are attracted to the place otherwise.

I'm only put off when there are comments or unpleasantness when no tip is forthcoming as I've paid 10% already.

Some places are like this and some are not. Wait and see....

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and that includes the waiter carrying the damed food from the kitchen to the table at no extra cost (or I can go get it myself). Shit what next? An optional extra of 15% if you want the chef to cook it? 5% for the dish washer?

When you buy a product, you should receive the full package and not be expected to pay the staff wages to obtain that product under a separate agreement!

Staying home always an option.

Handmade tortillias??? I thought that was standard fare for Mexican food. What's so special? :huh:

No other place in Pattaya is doing that. The lazy way is buying the machine made brands sold in Thailand. It's considered special in the US at Mexican restaurants. I'd say most don't. More common in Mexico.

By your own admission, there aren't any decent Mexican places in Pattaya.

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. I'm from Southern Calif and it's not special at Mexican restaurants. It's standard fare. ;)

I even worked at a few Mexican restaurants as a teen. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to my sombrero?

Yes of course it would be more common in areas of the US that are heavily Latino. Not going to get into a pissing war with you about the semantics of the word special. Better Mexican restaurants of course do it (better doesn't have to mean fancy or expensive, just better food). Many don't. I would bet the majority of Mexican restaurants in the US don't based on personal experience. Another factor, in the US better quality tortillas CAN be bought in (as opposed to Thailand). But I'm sure you can't find statistics on that, so how about we drop this silliness?

In any case, what Sunrise is doing is special without a doubt for Thailand:

from Gil of Sunrise

I can say though, that we import our own 100% organic white, yellow and blue corn in kernel form from the U.S.A. We then grind it, add water and salt, and hand work it. Each tortilla is then HAND pressed and turned into one of the most tastiest corn tortillas I have ever had.

Fast food indeed. :rolleyes:

To clarify, it is my OPINION that Pattaya has lacked even one half decent Mexican restaurant. Not an admission, just one person's opinion.

Edited by Jingthing

To which we can agree upon.The lack of quality ingredients in Thailand, and in particular Pattaya. :thumbsup:

Bangkok and Chang Mai areas do a better Mexican because they have sources that can import some quality ingredients. Some places in Chang Mai grow their own Maize.

The same reason is for the lack of good Southern Country/Western cooking. Decent corn meal is hard to find in Thailand. The best you can do is find processed Jiffy Corn Bread Mix.

If it weren't for the expensive costs of quality ingredients in Thailand, these dishes could be inexpensive and delicious! ;)

Edited by BB1950

Bangkok and Chang Mai areas do a better Mexican because they have sources that can import some quality ingredients. Some places in Chang Mai grow their own Maize.

Actually, they have better Mexican food, because someone figured how to make it with the ingredients that are available here and there is no reason why someone can not do the same in Pattaya.

Edited by Ulysses G.

One-hour in and I'm still waiting for a report...would have thought JT would be the first one in line :lol:

Don't be too shocked. I'm not rushing in. Very new restaurants can be scary. Also, it may be hard for me to do, but my good intention now is to NOT comment on the food at this place at least for a very long while. I am hoping lots of people here try it and post their impressions. Particularly, I'd like to hear details about SPECIFIC dishes, what you liked or didn't like, and why. As we've mentioned, their prices aren't cheap so that kind of information can help us make menu choices.

The reason I think I should pass on commenting myself is that I have been advocating here for such a Mexican place to open in town for years now, so I think any comment I make, pro or con, may have more influence than I'm comfortable with.

Edited by Jingthing

One-hour in and I'm still waiting for a report...would have thought JT would be the first one in line :lol:

Don't be too shocked. I'm not rushing in. Very new restaurants can be scary. Also, it may be hard for me to do, but my good intention now is to NOT comment on the food at this place at least for a very long while.

Not rushing in? the place is only 8 months late opening JT! you would have thought they would have a RED carpet and Mexican cowgirls/boys in sombrero's awaiting you biggrin.gif

Very new restaurants should not be scary,they should be warm welcoming and the food at its best and the service fantastic....that is what you train staff to do.

Sadly a lot go down hill after the honeymoon period.

Don't be too shocked. I'm not rushing in. Very new restaurants can be scary. Also, it may be hard for me to do, but my good intention now is to NOT comment on the food at this place at least for a very long while. I am hoping lots of people here try it and post their impressions. Particularly, I'd like to hear details about SPECIFIC dishes, what you liked or didn't like, and why. As we've mentioned, their prices aren't cheap so that kind of information can help us make menu choices.

The reason I think I should pass on commenting myself is that I have been advocating here for such a Mexican place to open in town for years now, so I think any comment I make, pro or con, may have more influence than I'm comfortable with.

You could go in disguise cowboy.giftongue.gif

1322720342[/url]' post='4883818']
1322720088[/url]' post='4883813']

You really do have delusions of your own grandeur

1322720342[/url]' post='4883818']
1322720088[/url]' post='4883813']

You really do have delusions of your own grandeur

Not exactly. If I posted the food sucks, Pattaya STILL lacks a half decent Mexican restaurant, given the build up I have posted about this issue for years ... I could be sued. Not worth it. No I am not saying the food sucks or that it rocks. In this case, I'll be mum. But I sure hope it rocks! Edited by Jingthing

You could go in disguise cowboy.giftongue.gif

Not an issue. I can't post in disguise.

In any case, I think I've said enough of why I won't post a review in this special case.

General note: don't hijack this thread by harping about this personal issue, whether you think it's crazy or not.

Edited by Jingthing

Just came back from a chicken burrito lunch , right on par with the Bangkok locations.

Quasi fast food Tex-Mex style that most Americans would be very familiar with.

Not a cheapie place to eat but probably the best Mexican food in Pattaya this side of Corona, Queens.

images.jpg

Great. Could you describe the pricing situation? Is it the listed price and then 17 percent added to that? Also, what about salsas? Are you free to select salsas as you like from a salsa bar or are you restricted to what they put into the burrito?

Great. Could you describe the pricing situation? Is it the listed price and then 17 percent added to that? Also, what about salsas? Are you free to select salsas as you like from a salsa bar or are you restricted to what they put into the burrito?

17% is tacked on the end when the check is received , it is noted on the menu albeit in fine print and it sucks.

Bottle of water and a burrito and I walked out of there almost 300 baht poorer.

You select your salsa, they can put in the burrito or you may ask for it separately like I did.

I ordered the next to hottest salsa option and it was nice and spicy - the hottest would probably cause a sphincter sting, if you know what I mean. :ermm:

The look like they will have a self serve salsa cart similar to what they have in the Bangkok locations , but that was tucked away and not prepped yet.

It was the 1st day and the place was busy.

It was the 1st day and the place was busy.

Wow!

I do hope they do actually offer a salsa self serve station. They really ought to for those prices.

I wonder if the Russians will go for Meksikansky food.

Edited by Jingthing

Just came back from a chicken burrito lunch , right on par with the Bangkok locations.

Quasi fast food Tex-Mex style that most Americans would be very familiar with.

Not a cheapie place to eat but probably the best Mexican food in Pattaya this side of Corona, Queens.

images.jpg

You have your opinion, but mine is that there is no Tex-Mex in Thailand and Sunrise Tacos does not offer anything that resembles it. I have no idea why people think Tex-Mex is in Thailand. I have tried virtually every place and it simply does not exist here. I just walked past the new place. It looks very nice from the outside and there were lots of people inside. The 17 percent top off bothers me, in terms of principle.

"Bottle of water and a burrito and I walked out of there almost 300 baht poorer"

WOW - I haven't been back to the States in a while, but can't ever remember spending almost US$10 for a snack . . . :o --- Would be interesting to see the final tab on a standard Mex. meal for four.

If they offer their Tuesday and Friday afternoon special - "all you can eat" for 220 Baht (advertised on their Bangkok menu) - along with 99 Baht Margaritas - that might soften the blow a bit . . .

http://www.sunriseta...taco-friday.htm

Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed also color