Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

Or at least come out and say that the 10% is for the staff and they also know that,then when people do not leave a tip because it is included in the bill........they will not get arsey! and the service will remain good as it should be.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food looks great from the menu pics, but they're one of the minority of local restaurants that add 17% (+10% service + 7% VAT) to the check-bin.

That takes their 220 Baht Tacos to almost 260 Baht or almost US$3 per Taco! -- Sounds almost like U.S. prices - sure hope they're delicious . . . :D

I hate that^ that has just killed it for a lot of people!

I know the manager is reading this thread and he should listen to the above. We f*kin hate that ++ business. Let us tip your excellent staff appropriately! jap.gif

I was looking forward to inviting my ex-pat friends for lunch, but the service and vat charge killed it for me. Even the hoels are droping the plus plus[hilton-montien]. Will wait for the next mexican resturant.

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me. The place isn't open yet but when they are it will be the only place in town to get an acceptable version of Mexican food. So if you won't go because of plus plus it's your loss. I could see this nit picking if there were other real local choices. I think the prices are a little high to begin with, so bottom line, I probably won't eat there as often as I'd like. Like a lot of things. But they're a for profit business on offer for your pleasure, not a necessity, not a charity, amigos.

Edited by Jingthing

Food looks great from the menu pics, but they're one of the minority of local restaurants that add 17% (+10% service + 7% VAT) to the check-bin.

That takes their 220 Baht Tacos to almost 260 Baht or almost US$3 per Taco! -- Sounds almost like U.S. prices - sure hope they're delicious . . . :D

I hate that^ that has just killed it for a lot of people!

I know the manager is reading this thread and he should listen to the above. We f*kin hate that ++ business. Let us tip your excellent staff appropriately! jap.gif

I was looking forward to inviting my ex-pat friends for lunch, but the service and vat charge killed it for me. Even the hoels are droping the plus plus[hilton-montien]. Will wait for the next mexican resturant.

Hiltons plus plus is included in the bill

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me. The place isn't open yet but when they are it will be the only place in town to get an acceptable version of Mexican food. So if you won't go because of plus plus it's your loss. I could see this nit picking if there were other real local choices. I think the prices are a little high to begin with, so bottom line, I probably won't eat there as often as I'd like. Like a lot of things. But they're a for profit business on offer for your pleasure, not a necessity, not a charity, amigos.

So.. Jt? from your post are we to assume the businesses that do not charge are not for profit!(charities) :rolleyes: as you have stated the prices are a tad high to begin with.

The crux is that the management should make the staff aware of why the punter is not tipping them and will the management be giving the 10% to its staff.....if not then they will not have a good future.

Mexican food - same ingredient folded 10 different ways :whistling:

Shows how little you know about Mexican food. If you're talking about the very internationally popular subset of Mexican food known as antijitos, etc, (including tacos), there is truth to what you are saying, but the better places may have many varieties of meats, etc. as choices.

Mexican food - same ingredient folded 10 different ways :whistling:

Shows how little you know about Mexican food. If you're talking about the very internationally popular subset of Mexican food known as antijitos, etc, (including tacos), there is truth to what you are saying, but the better places may have many varieties of meats, etc. as choices.

Obviously not a Billy Connolly fan - it was a <deleted> joke ---- get over yourself. Having lived in Dallas I am more than familiar with TM food

Sorry JT its not my loss, its their loss, plenty of other food outlets to chose from, Deli zza springs to mind.

Interesting. Deli-zza is fantastic but I wasn't aware they did carnitas burritos. Sunrise, welcome to the b---h-fest that is Pattaya food criticism!

BTW, if I determine they are charging 10 percent service charge, I won't be tipping more either. To the owners, please train your staff not to be rude to people who think 10 percent of total is quite a decent tip in Thailand. If the staff are rude to me about this, I won't like it either.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry JT its not my loss, its their loss, plenty of other food outlets to chose from, Deli zza springs to mind.

Interesting. Deli-zza is fantastic but I wasn't aware they did carnitas burritos. Sunrise, welcome to the b---h-fest that is Pattaya food criticism!

Call it cutting of my nose to spite my face.

As you are well aware people have survived for years without decent Mexican food in Pattaya, however for me its not the quality of food thats the issue its the quality of service.

You are of course correct the Deli doesnt sell carnitas burritos as far as Im aware, should they ever sell, please let us know.

Nothing to do with a "b---h-fest" or criticism of food in Pattaya, more to do with the way a food outlet operates.

Piss me off once I will give a second chance, piss me off twice, sorry no third chances.

As mentioned above, I can take my money elsewhere, just means I wont be eating Mexican.

BTW, if I determine they are charging 10 percent service charge, I won't be tipping more either. To the owners, please train your staff not to be rude to people who think 10 percent of total is quite a decent tip in Thailand. If the staff are rude to me about this, I won't like it either.

Shit JT you edited the dam_n post, didnt see the second paragraph.

I would say, "please train your staff not to be rude" period.

"will the management be giving the 10% to its staff.....if not then they will not have a good future"

"I was looking forward to inviting my ex-pat friends for lunch, but the service and vat charge killed it for me"

Clearly, this 10% + 7% (hidden charges on the menu) is not a popular scheme here.

One way to partially heal the wound would be to hand out a 20% discount coupon for return visits for the first month and advertise that here. That way, they'll at least be in sync with the vast majority of other local restaurants (their competitors) -- and will probably gain a lot of business from those opposed to the nefarious 10% + 7% scheme.

Gil here, owner of Sunrise Tacos Pattaya. Please permit me to weigh in, introduce ourselves, and let you all know what's up.

No other food to my mind invokes the same emotional discussions regarding what is, and what is not "authentic." I cannot answer this. I can say though, that we import our own 100% organic white, yellow and blue corn in kernel form from the U.S.A. We then grind it, add water and salt, and hand work it. Each tortilla is then HAND pressed and turned into one of the most tastiest corn tortillas I have ever had. We import all avocados fresh, we make all our own salsas each morning, our margaritas are made daily from real fruit, etc., I am hoping that these efforts help us to develop a loyal expat crowd, just like our loyal crowd in BKK. From our recent experience opening at Terminal 21 (we are packed daily), we also appeal to the young and hip Thai crowd, who hanker for delicious, fresh and unique tastes at very competitive prices. We hope to capture a portion of this crowd also in Pattaya, as there are not a lot of places for the mainstream Thai crowd to experience a modern and fresh concept restaurant. Being on the main road also, we hope to get our share of tourists when they visit the beaches of Jomtien.

We chose Jomtien for several reasons - easy parking, and easy access for the resident expats or full time Pattaya residents. Although we looked at over 60 locations on Beach road, parking and access is troublesome, even more so during events (e.g., music festivals). Rents there are sky high also, with tea money the norm.

The Jomtien area also has one of the highest concentrations of condominiums in a small area, making home delivery a viable supporting revenue opportunity. We are located directly at the entrance to Jomtien Complex, just before reaching Shenanigan's on the right. A large corner unit. The surrounding road construction is mostly complete, adding appeal to this area which we are hoping will begin to take on a popularity of its own as Pattaya proper gets more and more crowded. Many long-term expats that I know dread the idea of trying to "dine out" anywhere near Walking St or Beach Rd, or even 2nd road. Next year, we will open in North Pattaya also.

Regarding the restaurant itself, we have 2 full time kitchens on site, with a unique margarita bar off to the side of the main dining room. The build out is looking fantastic, with an unusual split level hung ceiling in modern colors. The restaurant is 75% glass enclosed, and will incorporate the latest in back-projection technology of printed photos of our food. Booths are over-sized of course. We have approximately 75 seats, and booths and tables that can sit full families. The bar will serve a full a full drink menu, including hand-blended and machine blended margaritas. Of course, we are continuing our trademark free salsa bar (9 different types, made daily).

Our opening date is approximately Nov 20th, 2011. A lot depends upon the completion of the build out. All of our staff is now training full time at multiple Sunrise Tacos locations in BKK, and we will follow the recipes originally created by our 2 native Mexican head chefs. Recently, we also consulted a Mexican head chef residing in China, who flew into Thailand to meet us and consulted on our food. He did not make one change recommendation, which we took to mean that we are on the right track.

Final note - we are 90% thru completion of a mobile Mexican food truck also. It is a full sized long bed Toyota with a camper house on top. It will travel all over Pattaya and East Pattaya serving nachos, supreme nachos, quessadillas, burritos, tacos, and of course, margaritas. The mobile unit has hot and cold running water, full cooking capability, fridges, etc., so please keep an eye out for our mobile Sunrise Tacos unit coming near you! You can PM me here of course for any further information. It will be available for catering, birthdays, wedding events, home parties, etc. of course. We also have a full catering service for the extended menu.

Thank you everyone,

Kind regards,

Gil

Owner - Sunrise Tacos Pattaya

Well, November 9th 2011 today, and the clock is ticking down. We are now putting in 15-16 hour days. Last night, we tested the sound system, and found out 2 of our speakers aren't working (glad we tested now). We are also having the height of the bar work table lowered, the outside awnings lowered, etc. We have now installed sun shades for the outside kitchen, and most of the equipment for the downstairs kitchen will be installed tomorrow over the next several days. Much of our kitchen equipment is custom built - hot well, cold well, sink, etc, and I am REALLY glad we ordered it last month. I have found out ours was the last order accepted by the factory!

Our staff that has been training in BKK for a month will finish their training on the 12th, then relocate to Pattaya on the 13th. We will give them 1-2 days off, and then they will come on site to help us. We are hoping that the dining room is finished then. We are planning to seriously start cooking at that time also. We have already been making corn tortillas though, and starting flour tortillas on site today.

Saw a note today about beer shortages. We had already known this about a week ago, when we contacted Heineken to order. We have been all over Pattaya scouring shops, and have managed to compile enough stock for about 2 weeks we think. We are hoping that by the 1st week of Dec, things will improve. We are also facing shortages of spices, rice, condensed milk, etc. On the whole though, we are happy to be high and dry in Pattaya, and not facing crippling flood waters like much of northern BKK, Ayhuttaa, etc., so I am happy to count our blessings.

Hope to see some of you at the opening and do introduce yourselves from Thai Visa!

Best,

Gil

Hi All, trying to type this in small font so that not many people see it. We will be open 11:59am tomorrow. We will do our best to bring you fresh, tasty reasonably priced Mexican food in a cool atmoshphere. If you really want to have fun, come at night and see the color light schemes.

Gil

I was looking forward to some decent Mexican but with 10 + 7 % added to the price (forced tipping) I won't be going there. I just don't understand the reasoning behind the service charge. Do the places that have this system get away with paying the staff less as they get more tip?

I dont like the mandatory tip.

I like them to earn it. When they do good work, I tip very well.

I agree 100% with you. :thumbsup:

Places that charge a mandatory tip/service charge don't get my business. Especially in Thailand!

It was also mentioned that this place was a 'tad pricy'.

Already off to a bad start. I won't bother to check it out. I'm not whining. Their loss, not mine.

Sorry JT, food does not trump everything for me. The things I consider are price verses quality and service and I decide the tip!

Forced tip/service charge, means no business from me. Many times the staff doesn't receive these tips or they only receive a very small portion. That's why I pay the host/hostess directly for their service and not place it in a tip tray. The management should price their items appropriately and not hide it in a service charge. I'll vote with my feet and not give this place a chance to get one baht from me. As far as I'm concerned, they can just go out of business. I don't miss businesses like these! :bah:

I'll wait till there's some competition, right now there is none.

There are many other choices for good food. I've lived without a good Mexican Restaurant in Pattaya for over 10 years. I can wait longer. :whistling:

Thanks SurfRider for the heads up. :jap:

I often don't agree with JT's recommendations. You just saved me from being disappointed again.

:whistling:

I dont like the mandatory tip.

I like them to earn it. When they do good work, I tip very well.

I agree 100% with you. :thumbsup:

Places that charge a mandatory tip/service charge don't get my business. Especially in Thailand!

It was also mentioned that this place was a 'tad pricy'.

Already off to a bad start. I won't bother to check it out. I'm not whining. Their loss, not mine.

Sorry JT, food does not trump everything for me. The things I consider are price verses quality and service and I decide the tip!

Forced tip/service charge, means no business from me. Many times the staff doesn't receive these tips or they only receive a very small portion. That's why I pay the host/hostess directly for their service and not place it in a tip tray. The management should price their items appropriately and not hide it in a service charge. I'll vote with my feet and not give this place a chance to get one baht from me. As far as I'm concerned, they can just go out of business. I don't miss businesses like these! :bah:

I'll wait till there's some competition, right now there is none.

There are many other choices for good food. I've lived without a good Mexican Restaurant in Pattaya for over 10 years. I can wait longer. :whistling:

Thanks SurfRider for the heads up. :jap:

I often don't agree with JT's recommendations. You just saved me from being disappointed again.

:lol: Agree

Hi All, trying to type this in small font so that not many people see it. We will be open 11:59am tomorrow. We will do our best to bring you fresh, tasty reasonably priced Mexican food in a cool atmoshphere. If you really want to have fun, come at night and see the color light schemes.

Gil

Congratulations on your grand opening and thank you so much for taking the risk to bring Sunrise(s) to our city!

I am quite OK with people not agreeing with all my food opinions. It would be downright weird if everyone did, especially all the time. Cheers.

As far as whether you'll like the food at our new Sunrise, I humbly suggest you try it for yourselves. Don't listen to me that I thought they had some good food in Bangkok, or other people who hated the experience in Bangkok. This restaurant is here and soon now.

I am not even sure I will like the food at this new Sunrise. Whatever my verdict, not sure I will even comment either way in this case as my opinion either way is going to be more loaded than I am comfortable with. However, I do hope the many people who will be trying their food in the coming weeks will post their impressions.

Edited by Jingthing

JT looks like you should get good service as you may be quite lonely with the number of people who will boycott due to the ++, I fully support them.

Whatever. I don't like ++ either but really can't believe there are that many people who will avoid all restaurants that have that if they are attracted to the place otherwise.

Obviously the management have read the responses about the ++ but no reply.....that says a lot!!

Good luck

"Hi All, trying to type this in small font so that not many people see it. We will be open 11:59am tomorrow. We will do our best to bring you fresh, tasty reasonably priced Mexican food in a cool atmoshphere. If you really want to have fun, come at night and see the color light schemes. "<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(243, 249, 246); ">

What people really want is great food and no ++ maybe the extra is for the cool light schemes 24/7

1322648478[/url]' post='4882041']
1322647772[/url]' post='4882009']

JT looks like you should get good service as you may be quite lonely with the number of people who will boycott due to the ++, I fully support them.

Whatever. I don't like ++ either but really can't believe there are that many people who will avoid all restaurants that have that if they are attracted to the place otherwise.

JT it's not a restaurant it's a fast food joint, big difference to me where ++ is concerned.

I'm only put off when there are comments or unpleasantness when no tip is forthcoming as I've paid 10% already.

Some places are like this and some are not. Wait and see....