Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

Great. Could you describe the pricing situation? Is it the listed price and then 17 percent added to that? Also, what about salsas? Are you free to select salsas as you like from a salsa bar or are you restricted to what they put into the burrito?

17% is tacked on the end when the check is received , it is noted on the menu albeit in fine print and it sucks.

Bottle of water and a burrito and I walked out of there almost 300 baht poorer.

You select your salsa, they can put in the burrito or you may ask for it separately like I did.

I ordered the next to hottest salsa option and it was nice and spicy - the hottest would probably cause a sphincter sting, if you know what I mean. :ermm:

The look like they will have a self serve salsa cart similar to what they have in the Bangkok locations , but that was tucked away and not prepped yet.

It was the 1st day and the place was busy.

dam_n, now you have gone and done it ... Unleashed the cheap Charlie brigade swearing at those expensive £6 meals in Thailand. You should be ashamed for providing your custom to such places.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bottle of water and a burrito and I walked out of there almost 300 baht poorer"

WOW - I haven't been back to the States in a while, but can't ever remember spending almost US$10 for a snack . . . :o --- Would be interesting to see the final tab on a standard Mex. meal for four.

I have paid 8-10 dollars for "grande" sized burritos with all the trimings at places in the States...but these were in a Mexican 'hood and prepared and served by genuine illegals, so very authentic indeed :lol:

You could go in disguise cowboy.giftongue.gif

Not an issue. I can't post in disguise.

So you actually think what you post and your TV moniker is taken for gospel.....get over yourself man! laugh.gif

I give a lot of credence to Jingthing's opinions on food. I have tried a lot of places that he has recommended and he is right most of the time IMO.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Great. Could you describe the pricing situation? Is it the listed price and then 17 percent added to that?

17% is tacked on the end when the check is received , it is noted on the menu albeit in fine print and it sucks.

Beefeater's Tex-Mex buffet B 250...all you can eat...service charge at your discretion :) :)

OK, if their version of "Mexican" food does it for you.

I had a look once and it looked like you would expect in Arkansas in the 1950's. Plus what's with the American ribs at "Mexican" restaurants here?

Edited by Jingthing

Most restauarant owners that I know say that it takes about a month to get a place right when first opening. I would not pay too much attention to negative reviews for a few weeks.

I agree but also sometimes in Thailand places are great for the first few months and then meltdown.

A California-Mex burrito is not a snack. A few tacos may be a snack, but a burrito is a meal. Easy to spend 10 bucks for a burrito in the US. Bottom line, acceptable Mexican food has pricing power in Thailand, like it or not. BTW, my description of the Sunrise Bangkok burritos I have had is much more Cali-Mex and Tex-Mex.

Burritos in Mexico are a Northern Mexican thing, and "authentic" ones generally just meat in a flour tortilla, in that case yes one would be a snack. I'm sure that's not what is served at Sunrise.

Edited by Jingthing

A California-Mex burrito is not a snack. A few tacos may be a snack, but a burrito is a meal. Easy to spend 10 bucks for a burrito in the US. Bottom line, acceptable Mexican food has pricing power in Thailand, like it or not. BTW, my description of the Sunrise Bangkok burritos I have had is much more Cali-Mex and Tex-Mex.

Burritos in Mexico are a Northern Mexican thing, and "authentic" ones generally just meat in a flour tortilla, in that case yes one would be a snack. I'm sure that's not what is served at Sunrise.

All this talk of Mexican food is wetting my appetite...may have to head on over to Phnom Penh for a few days :lol:

A shorter trip would be to just stop by Charlie Brown's, La Monita, or Tacos & Salsa in Bangkok. In tune with your Beefeater's comment even Bourbon Street buffet is far better and more representative of Tex Mex food than Sunset Tacos, but any new addition to the Mexican food scene in the Pattaya area, especially in Jomtien is a good thing.

Great. Could you describe the pricing situation? Is it the listed price and then 17 percent added to that?

Beefeater's Tex-Mex buffet B 250...all you can eat...service charge at your discretion :) :)

OK, if their version of "Mexican" food does it for you.

I had a look once and it looked like you would expect in Arkansas in the 1950's. Plus what's with the American ribs at "Mexican" restaurants here?

But did you have a taste? As for Arkansas in the '50s, I'll have to take your word on that as that was way before I was even contemplated ;)

I don't recall the meals I had at Sunrise Bangkok being any better (and were actually worse) than any Mexi meal I've had at Beefeaters.

No, I recall they offered one salsa and yes I could tell it wasn't going to satisfy me by sight. Basic things like salsa are important to me. It's like the free American spaghetti that was sent to Italy as post war 2 aid -- word is, they wouldn't eat it.

All this talk of Mexican food is wetting my appetite...may have to head on over to Phnom Penh for a few days :lol:

A shorter trip would be to just stop by Charlie Brown's, La Monita, or Tacos & Salsa in Bangkok. In tune with your Beefeater's comment even Bourbon Street buffet is far better and more representative of Tex Mex food than Sunset Tacos, but any new addition to the Mexican food scene in the Pattaya area, especially in Jomtien is a good thing.

I very much disliked my one try of the Bourbon Mex buffet. Also 1950's Arkansas style.

But then I'd be missing the atmosphere of the riverfront promenade.

Yeah, one can never tire of smirking/laughing out loud about the antics of the NGO dumbasses.

Yeah, one can never tire of smirking/laughing out loud about the antics of the NGO dumbasses.

Hey...don't mock them...they're "saving the world." :lol:

I very much disliked my one try of the Bourbon Mex buffet. Also 1950's Arkansas style.

Last time I tried Charlie Brown's it was in the same category. :(

Today, I had 2 carnitas tacos(they double up on the tottillas), a complimentary basket of chips / salsa, bottle of water and a nice thick napkin. =205 Bt.

Delicious.

Congrats to the owner. A lot of work and planning went into this place and it shows.

They are running a class act.

I've been through Arkansas and every other state including Alaska and Hawaii, and Mexican /Akansas cuisine was not prominent in the early to mid seventies. Now prairie oysters on the other hand (as opposed to the half shell) were quite prominent.

A whole shedload of utter spite has been deleted. Attacking forum sponsors, attacking each other. Count yourself lucky you didn't receive warnings for all of that but rest assured, I am now watching this thread and will be happy to warn and suspend those who breach forum rules again. I do hope this is perfectly clear to all of you now.

NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I ate there tonight. She had the layered rice and cheese dish (145 baht). She couldn't eat it because it was too salty for her. I liked it.

She also had tortilla crusted chicken. The breading was very crunchy and hurt her teeth, so after she took off all the breading, she had about 4 bites of meat. (195 baht). She had a lime margarita which was o.k. Definitely cheaper than Mike's but I think the ones at Mike's taste better.

My wife ended up going to one of the other vendors on the street to get something to eat.

I had the all you can eat soft tacos - the carnitas ones - (200 baht) - The pork was pretty tasty, but overall - NASTY... it had mango chunks inside. I grew up in Colorado, lived in Texas, and California. I HAVE NEVER HAD A SWEET TACO... I was very dissapointed. I didn't even bother to order more than the 3 they originally served. I also asked for sour cream and that was extra (20 baht). Who ever heard of eating tacos without sour cream.

At the end I had pumpkin pie (2 pieces) which was very good.

I think that some of there stuff might be better - like the Fajitas and burritos, so I MIGHT go back to try those. But, based on tonight's experience... Two Thumbs Down.

The service was also VERY VERY VERY VERY SLOW.... I realize they have just opened, so I hope that will get better, but it took 1-1/2 hours to get finished and get the check.(912.18 baht)

Edited by rmicheald

My wife and I ate there tonight. She had the layered rice and cheese dish (145 baht). She couldn't eat it because it was too salty for her. I liked it.

She also had tortilla crusted chicken. The breading was very crunchy and hurt her teeth, so after she took off all the breading, she had about 4 bites of meat. (195 baht). She had a lime margarita which was o.k. Definitely cheaper than Mike's but I think the ones at Mike's taste better.

My wife ended up going to one of the other vendors on the street to get something to eat.

I had the all you can eat soft tacos - the carnitas ones - (200 baht) - The pork was pretty tasty, but overall - NASTY... it had mango chunks inside. I grew up in Colorado, lived in Texas, and California. I HAVE NEVER HAD A SWEET TACO... I was very dissapointed. I didn't even bother to order more than the 3 they originally served. I also asked for sour cream and that was extra (20 baht). Who ever heard of eating tacos without sour cream.

I think that some of there stuff might be better - like the Fajitas and burritos, so I MIGHT go back to try those. But, based on tonight's experience... Two Thumbs Down.

The service was also VERY VERY VERY VERY SLOW.... I realize they have just opened, so I hope that will get better, but it took 1-1/2 hours to get finished and get the check.(912.18 baht)

Some comments on that.

The layered rice dish as indicated on the menu is a weird bastardization dish developed in Japan for desperate American soldiers, something you would never find in Mexico or the US. Not sure why people would order that anywhere and expect it be good. I also don't like things too salty but of course we all taste salt differently.

About the crusted chicken dish, I can't imagine ever ordering it! It is not a Mexican dish. Just a gimmick dish. But it's on their menu so if it sucked, it sucked. C'est la vie. (If it was really that bad, I would have complained and asked for a new dish. It would have been an interesting test of the customer service there.)

On the mango chutney, that's clearly a fusiony kind of tropical thing this restaurant is trying. I have seen that kind of thing rather often at trendy fusiony Mexican places in the US. Not Mexico. I wouldn't like it either alone, but I would like it more with the addition of a hot chile based salsa as a mix.

Of course in Mexico al pastor tacos are traditionally served with some fresh pineapple so there is a Mexican root to the idea of tropical fruit on a taco. But on that, hot chile salsas are added by most eaters. If they only offered you the sweet salsa and no way to heat it up that would be problem for me and I think most people who love Mexican food.

Sour cream with tacos? That is not traditional at all for Mexican or soft tortilla California-Mex tacos but often offered in Cali at extra cost for a more Americanized "super" taco. In Mexico, they wouldn't have it in stock at a respectable taqueria. I think it is standard for Tex-Mex and usually Americanized crispy taco presentations. Sour cream is expensive in Thailand. Charging more is a business decision of course.

I get it that you had a bad experience, but based on what you ordered, I'd say there are probably things on their menu that may be enjoyed better.

Looking closely at their menu, I see a variety of Mexican styles. Actual Mex (chilaquiles, birria, tortilla soup), Tex-Mex (enchiladas, crispy tacos), Japan-Mex (that rice mess), Fusion-Mex/All American Mex (mango on tacos, breakfast burritos), and Cali-Mex (their San Francisco style burritos). Can't complain about having lots of choices!

Edited by Jingthing

Some comments on that.

The layered rice dish as indicated on the menu is a weird bastardization dish developed in Japan for desperate American soldiers, something you would never find in Mexico or the US. Not sure why people would order that anywhere and expect it be good. I also don't like things too salty but of course we all taste salt differently.

About the crusted chicken dish, I can't imagine ever ordering it! It is not a Mexican dish. Just a gimmick dish. But it's on their menu so if it sucked, it sucked. C'est la vie. (If it was really that bad, I would have complained and asked for a new dish. It would have been an interesting test of the customer service there.)

On the mango chutney, that's clearly a fusiony kind of tropical thing this restaurant is trying. I have seen that kind of thing rather often at trendy fusiony Mexican places in the US. Not Mexico. I wouldn't like it either alone, but I would like it more with the addition of a hot chile based salsa as a mix.

Of course in Mexico al pastor tacos are traditionally served with some fresh pineapple so there is a Mexican root to the idea of tropical fruit on a taco. But on that, hot chile salsas are added by most eaters. If they only offered you the sweet salsa and no way to heat it up that would be problem for me and I think most people who love Mexican food.

Sour cream with tacos? That is not traditional at all for Mexican or soft tortilla California-Mex tacos but often offered in Cali at extra cost for a more Americanized "super" taco. In Mexico, they wouldn't have it in stock at a respectable taqueria. I think it is standard for Tex-Mex and usually Americanized crispy taco presentations. Sour cream is expensive in Thailand. Charging more is a business decision of course.

I get it that you had a bad experience, but based on what you ordered, I'd say there are probably things on their menu that may be enjoyed better.

Looking closely at their menu, I see a variety of Mexican styles. Actual Mex (chilaquiles, birria, tortilla soup), Tex-Mex (enchiladas, crispy tacos), Japan-Mex (that rice mess), Fusion-Mex/All American Mex (mango on tacos, breakfast burritos), and Cali-Mex (their San Francisco style burritos). Can't complain about having lots of choices!

i am curious JT, you have not eaten there yet,but table a robust and lengthy defense to a critic who has

why?

i am curious JT, you have not eaten there yet,but table a robust and lengthy defense to a critic who has

why?

Not sure, really. Can't afford psychotherapy. In any case, my comments were largely generic. Such as a discussion of EXPECTING sour cream to be served with soft tacos, when I find such an expectation absurd. Also if you read my post carefully, I think calling it a defense not correct. I criticized that they even have dishes like Japan rice and crusted tortilla crusted chicken on their menu, for example. And, no, silly, I don't work for them!

Edited by Jingthing

why?

Not sure, really. Can't afford psychotherapy. In any case, my comments were largely generic. Such as a discussion of EXPECTING sour cream to be served with soft tacos, when I find such an expectation absurd. Also if you read my post carefully, I think calling it a defense not correct. I criticized that they even have dishes like Japan rice and crusted tortilla crusted chicken on their menu, for example. And, no, silly, I don't work for them!

OK thanks, i will concede on the defense issue

i never suggested you worked for them though

having had that accusation leveled at me before its not something i would do

however if i may be so bold, i do think its time for you to go take a look see

i expect there will be other similar reviews to the one above

you seem to know what you are talking about and it might be nice to have a balanced view of the mexican dream .....

Can confirm that Sunrise does not add the 10% service charge for take-away, but does add the 7% VAT.

Their "Classic Grilled Chicken" burrito with no trimmings came to 235 Baht or US$7.62 - Not as big as a Big-Mac hamburger, which I suspect sells for a lot less. IMHO, it's definitely a snack, not a meal-- unless you're under 5 years old :)

Not particularly tasty - have had equal or better at Taco-Bell in the States. Based only on this one item, Mike's Mexican Restaurant is better.

According to both the menu and waitress, they DO have their Tuesday and Friday all-you-can-eat special for 220 Baht, including Margaritas and a few other drinks for 99 Baht from 2pm to 7pm.

The Salsa was good.

Interesting. In any case, a real "San Francisco" style burrito should indeed be a meal for a hungry big man.

Of course, adding extras such as cheese, sour cream, and guacamole would make it more filling but even a basic one should be filling enougn.

Edited by Jingthing