Bangkok Flooding 2011 - How Bad Will It Get?

ExpatOilWorker

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a big flooding in Bangkok in 1942, 1983, sometime in the '90 and lets not kid ourself, there will be one in 2011. The only questions is how bad will it get. Of course different parts of the city will be hit differently, but lets make the Asoke-Sukhumvit intersection as our benchmark and take your vote from there.

I've already seen some of the roads around Asoke at 12"... I have the feeling that we'll see that again, probably for a more extended period (it was during one bout of very heavy rain a few weeks ago).

TWELVE inches near Asok??? That's like 35-40cm, really a lot. I just hope all the MRT stations are prepared for that, since it might be their "first big flooding".

I went from Bkk down to Ban Pakard today, and on the way there, one of the roads was "nearly covered" by water, with the center only still dry. On the way back I got strong rain in most of Chantaburi, Rayong and Chomburi, so I guess that now is covered. I was already prepared for the worst when arriving in Bkk, but the east is still above the water...

(Biggest problem I saw was a small hatchback totally destroyed around km 20, must have happened seconds before I passed by (through?) it, the car must have "slided on the water" (aquaplanado - in Portuguese) and the driver was just leaving the car... no rivers overflowing or anything...)

I just hope all the MRT stations are prepared for that, since it might be their "first big flooding".

You normally have to walk up several stairs to get to the MRT entrance. So the entrance is many inches above the pavement which is also raised from the road. So there would need to be quite a bit of flooding before any water could enter an MRT station.

I've seen around 30-40cm in Asok this year. Very impressive, came from soi 19 and turn left to Asok. Once there, the engine of my bike sink every 20 meters. Looked a bit apocalyptic..

But the water level usually go down quite fast.

I just hope all the MRT stations are prepared for that, since it might be their "first big flooding".

You normally have to walk up several stairs to get to the MRT entrance. So the entrance is many inches above the pavement which is also raised from the road. So there would need to be quite a bit of flooding before any water could enter an MRT station.

There are 5 steps up to the entry of the MRT station so if you include the walkway, the entry is about 3 feet (90 cm) above street level. After that sandbags is needed as the walls of the entry is build of glass.

Lets not forget...there are lots of MRT stations and one weak link is all it takes.

MRT is underground,and those five steps are not that high.

If the water has no where to go, it is gonna find its way into the MRT through drains, or other means

Edited by beano2274

If the water has no where to go, it is gonna find its way into the MRT through drains, or other means

I'd be more worried if the skytrain stations flooded!

I mentioned on another thread that in 1983 you had to get a boat if you wanted to go further out down Sukhumvit than Thonglor. I think this was largely due to juggling with klong gates and shuffling the water around the city, much depending on who in government lived where. Be interesting to see how things have improved or changed and how it is handled now.

I mentioned on another thread that in 1983 you had to get a boat if you wanted to go further out down Sukhumvit than Thonglor. I think this was largely due to juggling with klong gates and shuffling the water around the city, much depending on who in government lived where. Be interesting to see how things have improved or changed and how it is handled now.

Oops, I didn't manage to edit/expand this in time.

I would imagine the weak points of the MRT and BTS both are the underground power lines which would cause a shutdown before any station flooding.

BTS station flooding? Now there's fuel for the imagination.

I'd be more worried if the skytrain stations flooded!

Relatively easy to sand bag the entrances to raise them.. little leaks can probably be dealt with.

Ladprao is flooded since an hour ago, half a metre maybe.

Can you give a more precise fix on which part of Lad Prao?

Between the Ratchada / Ladprao intersection and Ladprao 40, but now i'm hearing it's all of Din Daeng / Ratchada.

Can't comment on the rest, I was not waiting to find out smile.gif

Edited by ThreeProperty