Question On Retirement Visa

Yes you can convert at a cost of 2,000 baht but if in Udon they may require it be done in Bangkok (as above) but it would be the same cost to just visit Laos and get in Vientiane (one hour trip and overnight stay) and return with that and 60-80 days later apply for one year extension of stay for retirement. Then you will need a letter from bank (believe you are talking Bangkok Bank as there is no bank of bangkok). You will want to open account locally (if not already) as atm gets a surcharge for any out of area transactions. The actual extension will only require TM.7/1,900 baht/4x6cm photo/(copies of passport id/visa/entry/departure card) and bank passbook/letter. Some proof of address and perhaps draw a map. Very easy and no lawyers required. Be sure money is in your name only (at 800k or above for two months).

Bank of Bangkok is correct, this is how it is written in Thai as are most of the Thai Banks which have the word Bank first followed by it's particular name. For English Speakers it uses the title Bangkok Bank.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you obtained with the 2k was a visa entry on the basis or qualifications for one year extension of stay. In your case that was retirement. The non immigrant O-A is an actual visa issued from your country of residence for long stay in Thailand (retirement) and is not available inside Thailand.

Bank of Bangkok is correct, this is how it is written in Thai as are most of the Thai Banks which have the word Bank first followed by it's particular name. For English Speakers it uses the title Bangkok Bank.

If the word Bangkok and bank are used it is Bangkok Bank.

we got the visa from Birmingham and it only has an O in the catergory

but we did ask for a retierment visa and had to show bank statments and proff of id with house hold bills

and quote name='lopburi3' timestamp='1318565732' post='4764264']

Did you perhaps get that visa at Hull? It is not a long stay (retirement visa) if you did. Only London Embassy can issue and requires medical/police report.

The Long Stay visa is a non immigrant O-A (not -O-) and only that provides a one year stay on entry (what stamp did you receive - you must leave or extend before that allowed to stay until date. If multi entry you can return for a new stay anytime before the use before date on the actual visa.

Retirement visas (O-A) are only available in your home country. Extensions based on retirement are available at Thai immigration offices. If you are residing in Udon Thani, you are required to use the local office for your extensions.

http://www.udonimmig...on.udonmap.com/

This information is incorrect as regards retirement visas. I arrived on a tourist 30day permission to stay, i.e. without visa. I went to Thai Immigration Chaengwattana which is for residents of Bangkok, and they issued me with a retirement Non Immigrant (Non-O for cheewit) visa based on B800,000 aged in a Thai bank for 3 months (HSBC in my case). The stamp says I entered the Country on 29th July 2010 as though I had gone out of the Country obtained a Visa at an Embassy and came back in. Fortunately Thailand is the land of all possibilities.

I really, really doubt you were given a Retirement Non-immigrant O VISA.

Look in your passport then tell us what it says!

Or better yet, post a scan of that page in your passport.

Edited by ludditeman

Retirement visas (O-A) are only available in your home country. Extensions based on retirement are available at Thai immigration offices. If you are residing in Udon Thani, you are required to use the local office for your extensions.

This information is incorrect as regards retirement visas. I arrived on a tourist 30day permission to stay, i.e. without visa. I went to Thai Immigration Chaengwattana which is for residents of Bangkok, and they issued me with a retirement Non Immigrant (Non-O for cheewit) visa based on B800,000 aged in a Thai bank for 3 months (HSBC in my case). The stamp says I entered the Country on 29th July 2010 as though I had gone out of the Country obtained a Visa at an Embassy and came back in. Fortunately Thailand is the land of all possibilities.

He would have been issued a Non Imm O Visa as part of the process of applying for a 12 Month Extension of Stay based on retirement.

The Honorary Consulate will issue a non immigrant O (other reasons) on the basis of you being over age 50 and perhaps some financials but it is not a "long stay" O-A retirement visa and only allows 90 day stay(s). The retirement visa or extension of stay provides a one year stay.

He would have been issued a Non Imm O Visa as part of the process of applying for a 12 Month Extension of Stay based on retirement.

I agree, but that is not what he said he had obtained.

I'm always amazed that so many people never bother to read what has been stamped in their passports.

My stamps say "Application of stay is under consideration" and "Application of stay is permitted"

Nothing with the word "VISA" in it.Nothing to specify the reason for my application.

Edited by ludditeman

If the word Bangkok and bank are used it is Bangkok Bank.

Yes, Bangkok Bank is correct. In Thai they say ธนาคารกรุงเทพ, and the official English translation is Bangkok Bank.

Here is the scan. As you can see the first page contains a Non "O" visa issued by Thai Immgration on 29th July 2010 in Bangkok on the basis of retirement. In Thai, at the top of the following page it says Non "O" Retirement (In Thai it says "Sai cheewit ban bplai" which means literally until the end of life! i.e. retirement). This was followed by an entry stamp dated 29th July 2011 (although I never left the room, only went to a different desk), and the Non O Retirement visa was stamped "Used" in the normal way as if I had obtained the Visa back in the UK. The 1 year retirement extensions are shown on the second page. Also the entry stamps clearly state that the Visa Class is Non O Retirement.

Therefore it is misleading to tell people that a retirement visa cannot be issued in Thailand and that they can only obtain them from an Embassy overseas. A retirement visa can be obtained at Thai Immigration whilst only having a tourist permission to stay. So if someone comes to Thailand and decides to retire, there is no need to leave the Country to obtain a visa at great expense and waste of time.

Non O Retirement Visa Issued by Thai Immigration29.07.2011.pdf

Edited by Estrada

It is not an O-A, the only thing that is a retirement visa and never available in Thailand. You got a Non immigrant O visa (step 1) and an annual extension based on retirement (step 2). The reason they gave you the O was because you were going to do step 2, so the reason for granting the O visa was retirement.

If you want to think you've got a retirement visa, I can't see the harm.

However, in general it just makes things easier for communication to point out the differences between starting with an actual retirement visa O-A (optional) or not.

If they start offering O-A visas IN Thailand it would be big news, as those when multi-entry come with the special feature of being able to stretch them for two years without having to apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree, but that is not what he said he had obtained.

I'm always amazed that so many people never bother to read what has been stamped in their passports.

My stamps say "Application of stay is under consideration" and "Application of stay is permitted"

Nothing with the word "VISA" in it.Nothing to specify the reason for my application.

It is exactly what I said I obtained. I clearly stated I obtained a Non Immigrant "O" retirement VISA.

I was then "Admitted" into the Country (although I never left the room) with a 30 day permission to stay on the basis of retirement to make sure that the B800,000 was still in the bank for another month (making 4 months instead of 3 months)and the 1 year permission to stay on the basis of retirement was duly issued after showing that the B800,000 had been in the bank for 4 months. I just obtained the second 1 year extension which Thai Visa Forum members said did not need evidence of 3 months at B800,000 in the bank only 2 months or even less according to some. Fortunately I still took the 3 months statement and the officer in fact requested 3 months statement for renewal so be warned.

It is widely posted on this board about the facts on money seasoning requirements for retirement extensions for those using the 800K in a Thai bank method.

First extension -- TWO months

Subsequent extensions -- THREE MONTHS

For people using the COMBO method to qualify (banked money PLUS embassy letter) there is no money seasoning needed at all at MOST offices. Sadly, there are a few provincial exceptions to that but the general rule is no seasoning.

Edited by Jingthing

What Jing and Lopburi are saying above is correct... But regarding Lite Beer's comment here...

It seems to me I do remember learning here that, when someone with a tourist visa, for example, goes to BKK Immigration and wants to end up with a retirement extension, that part of the conversion process Immigration does involves issuing a Non-Imm Visa of some variety.... That supposedly is the one exception to the correct rule that visas are issued outside Thailand, and extensions issued by Immigration inside.

Am I remembering that detail correctly?

It is not an O-A, the only thing that is a retirement visa and never available in Thailand. You got a Non immigrant O visa (step 1) and an annual extension based on retirement (step 2). The reason they gave you the O was because you were going to do step 2, so the reason for granting the O visa was retirement.

However, in general it just makes things easier for communication to point out the differences between starting with an actual retirement visa O-A (optional) or not.

If they start offering O-A visas IN Thailand it would be big news, as those when multi-entry come with the special feature of being able to stretch them for two years without having to apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand.

Immigration clearly states that this is a retirement visa. It is stamped and written in Thai (Non O - retirement), the immigration officers write "Visa Class Non O Retirement" everytime I re-enter the Country. I suggest you visit Immigration and ask them to explain this in Country issued Retirement Visa to you. The former head of Thai immigration has been a friend of mine for 16 years and we meet every month. I do not think that I've got a retirement Visa, I know I've got retirement visa and so do the immigration officers as can be seen clearly on the entry stamps the write "VISA CLASS NON "O" Retirement".

The whole point of this arguement was the statement that one could not obtain a retirement visa in Thailand. The Visa is clearly stamped in Thai "Non O Retirement" at the top of the second page by Thai Immigration. I read and write thai so it is clear to me, but perhaps you do not read Thai.

If you want to think I did not obtain a retirement visa I can see the harm in perpetuating a myth. The issue of the Non "O" retirement visas in Country started some two years ago.

It is widely posted on this board about the facts on money seasoning requirements for retirement extensions for those using the 800K in a Thai bank method.

For people using the COMBO method to qualify (banked money PLUS embassy letter) there is no money seasoning needed at all at MOST offices. Sadly, there are a few provincial exceptions to that but the general rule is no seasoning.

This is incorrect, last year Thai Immigration Bangkok Div 1 required a minimum of 3 months for the first 1 year stay, and for a a number of us including myself, they required us to return after a further one month to show 4 months in total. Last week I went for retirement extension and the officers stated that they need 3 months everytime. Quite honestly it does not seem logical for them to require 2 months for the first extension and then 3 months. It looks like more misinformation, i.e. someone got lucky. So as far as Thai Immigration have informed myself, it is at least 3 months or more the first time and 3 months for every other extension.

This is incorrect, last year Thai Immigration Bangkok Div 1 required a minimum of 3 months for the first 1 year stay, and for a a number of us including myself, they required us to return after a further one month to show 4 months in total. Last week I went for retirement extension and the officers stated that they need 3 months everytime. Quite honestly it does not seem logical for them to require 2 months for the first extension and then 3 months. It looks like more misinformation, i.e. someone got lucky. So as far as Thai Immigration have informed myself, it is at least 3 months or more the first time and 3 months for every other extension.

It appears to me, the misinformation was at Immigration, go to Section 2.22 and read the Criteria section.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

Edited by beechguy

What Jing and Lopburi are saying above is correct... But regarding Lite Beer's comment here...

It seems to me I do remember learning here that, when someone with a tourist visa, for example, goes to BKK Immigration and wants to end up with a retirement extension, that part of the conversion process Immigration does involves issuing a Non-Imm Visa of some variety.... That supposedly is the one exception to the correct rule that visas are issued outside Thailand, and extensions issued by Immigration inside.

Am I remembering that detail correctly?

This is correct and I am also talking about entering Thailand without even a Visa only permit to stay as a Tourist for 30 days. My retirement Visa issued by Thai Immigration and clearly states in Thai that it is a "Non Immigrant "O" for Retirement". These in Country retirement visas started to be issued in Country two years ago. I believe it is the one exception to the rule at this time, as Lopburi confirmed last year. It is a bending of the rules and for this reason it is necessary for Thai Immigration to issue an Entry Stamp. Still it is a lot better than back in the '80s when we had a lot of hassle getting in and out of the country, even had to produce tax paid receipts before we could leave the Country.

Immigration clearly states that this is a retirement visa. It is stamped and written in Thai (Non O - retirement), the immigration officers write "Visa Class Non O Retirement" everytime I re-enter the Country. I suggest you visit Immigration and ask them to explain this in Country issued Retirement Visa to you. The former head of Thai immigration has been a friend of mine for 16 years and we meet every month. I do not think that I've got a retirement Visa, I know I've got retirement visa and so do the immigration officers as can be seen clearly on the entry stamps the write "VISA CLASS NON "O" Retirement".

The whole point of this arguement was the statement that one could not obtain a retirement visa in Thailand. The Visa is clearly stamped in Thai "Non O Retirement" at the top of the second page by Thai Immigration. I read and write thai so it is clear to me, but perhaps you do not read Thai.

If you want to think I did not obtain a retirement visa I can see the harm in perpetuating a myth. The issue of the Non "O" retirement visas in Country started some two years ago.

You may read Thai well but appear to be having a problem with English. Your original response was to post #2, he stated that an "O-A" Retirement Visa can only be obtained outside of Thailand, that is correct, he did not mention an "O" Visa, which is not the same thing.

Only O-A visas, issued in home countries, are retirement visas. I don't care if the the Prime Minister says an O visa is an O-A visa as under the current laws, she would be wrong. Nothing to argue about here. It's not who you know, it's what you have. It isn't even a matter of agreeing to disagree. There is correct and incorrect info here and only O-As are retirement visas.

Obtaining an O visa based on the REASON that it will be used as a base for retirement EXTENSIONS does not make it a retirement O-A visa.

Of course as mentioned on this forum HUNDREDS of times, the O-A is only one option to start. Also of course, O visas are available at some immigration offices in Thailand as part of the two step process, first the change to O visa from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa (not O-A) and secondly the retirement extension. Other people enter with O visas obtained outside Thailand and only need the one step, retirement extension.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

So as far as Thai Immigration have informed myself, it is at least 3 months or more the first time and 3 months for every other extension.

No.

It.

Is.

Not.

The rule for 800K NOW (not talking history) is two months for the first extension, three for subsequent ones. This also is not a grey area EXCEPT in the few small offices that are not following the national rule.

HISTORICALLY, yes it is true, it USED to be the national rule to require three months as well for the first extension. But not now. Let's deal with now, OK?

Edited by Jingthing

It appears to me, the misinformation was at Immigration, go to Section 2.22 and read the Criteria section.

This police order was issued in 2008 it states that they need money seasoned for not less than 60 days. The legal interpretation of that does not mean a maximum of 60days, just that it should be not less than 60days. Therefore the order allows Thai Immigration to ask for more, but not less than 60days. Last year they were asking an American friend who has been here for over 40 years, for 3 months statements, and myself 4 months. Therefore it unsafe to intepret the police order as a maximum of 60 days since it is clearly not intended to be a fixed 60 days, which is why they have been asking for 3 months, although they are allowed to ask for 60 days if they feel so inclined. They stated last year that the reason for requesting longer than 2 months for the first extension was because of fiddles whereby expats borrow money for 2 months and return it when they had the visa. Therefore they felt that 2 months was insufficient time to establish that the money deposited was genuine funds belonging to the applicant.

You may read Thai well but appear to be having a problem with English. Your original response was to post #2, he stated that an "O-A" Retirement Visa can only be obtained outside of Thailand, that is correct, he did not mention an "O" Visa, which is not the same thing.

The guy was asking how to obtain a visa that would allow him to stay in Thailand on the basis of retirement he was told that he could only obtain a visa outside of the Country on the basis of retirement applying for a type O-A visa. This was incorrect, since for retirement purposes it is also possible and can be easier to obtain a "Non Immigrant O visa for retirement" here in Bangkok and therefore it is not necessary to obtain an O-A visa in one's own Country as stated.

There are basically three options to start a legit retirement here. People choose based on their personal needs and preferences.

1. Get an O-A retirement visa in your home country. More hassle to get but it comes with some extra perks of interest to some.

2. Get a single entry O in any country that will give it, typically your home country or Malayia/Laos, then continue with retirement extensions in Thailand

3. Get a single entry O in Thailand as part of the "two step process" paired with the second step, the retirement extension. Not all Thai immigration offices do the change of status though, so some need to do that in Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

This police order was issued in 2008 it states that they need money seasoned for not less than 60 days. The legal interpretation of that does not mean a maximum of 60days, just that it should be not less than 60days. Therefore the order allows Thai Immigration to ask for more, but not less than 60days. Last year they were asking an American friend who has been here for over 40 years, for 3 months statements, and myself 4 months. Therefore it unsafe to intepret the police order as a maximum of 60 days since it is clearly not intended to be a fixed 60 days, which is why they have been asking for 3 months, although they are allowed to ask for 60 days if they feel so inclined. They stated last year that the reason for requesting longer than 2 months for the first extension was because of fiddles whereby expats borrow money for 2 months and return it when they had the visa. Therefore they felt that 2 months was insufficient time to establish that the money deposited was genuine funds belonging to the applicant.

Money seasoning national rule is two months for the first extension, three months for subsequent.

You are mixing issues when you bring up the officer's discretion to demand more months of STATEMENTS. Most people using the 800K method show their bank passbooks going back several months and its common for people to give them a copy of the entire previous year although that is too much. Showing copies of bank activity and seasoning are different concepts. Officers have discretion to ask for extra documentation over anything they like, but they don't properly have the discretion to change the ENFORCEMENT POLICIES of their offices on the spot. In other words, if their current office policy is two months seasoning, you can be confident within reason that is how it will be enforced. For another example, they can't decide that today they will require 900K because they don't like your face.

If any people have current credible reports that Bangkok has changed their enforcement policy (away from the national rule) for money seasoning 800K bank account applicants for first time retirement extensions from two to three months, please step forward!

BTW, this American friend of yours. I suspect he may not be on the 800K banked method. There was a wave of special enforcement for Americans some months ago in respect for demanding extra proof of showing bank activity, on top of their INCOME LETTERS from the embassy.

Edited by Jingthing

The guy was asking how to obtain a visa that would allow him to stay in Thailand on the basis of retirement he was told that he could only obtain a visa outside of the Country on the basis of retirement applying for a type O-A visa. This was incorrect, since for retirement purposes it is also possible and can be easier to obtain a "Non Immigrant O visa for retirement" here in Bangkok and therefore it is not necessary to obtain an O-A visa in one's own Country as stated.

What allows one to stay more than 90 days? The permission to stay is extended, not the visa. The exception is the one year "O-A" Visa issued outside of Thailand. He also mentioned the extensions of stay so I still don't think he gave incorrect advice.

As to the 60 days versus 90 for bank deposits, that is that offices' interpretation for what they want and they are welcome to do that, but not a requirement.

Edited by beechguy

Here is the scan. As you can see the first page contains a Non "O" visa issued by Thai Immgration on 29th July 2010 in Bangkok on the basis of retirement. In Thai, at the top of the following page it says Non "O" Retirement (In Thai it says "Sai cheewit ban bplai" which means literally until the end of life! i.e. retirement). This was followed by an entry stamp dated 29th July 2011 (although I never left the room, only went to a different desk), and the Non O Retirement visa was stamped "Used" in the normal way as if I had obtained the Visa back in the UK. The 1 year retirement extensions are shown on the second page. Also the entry stamps clearly state that the Visa Class is Non O Retirement.

Therefore it is misleading to tell people that a retirement visa cannot be issued in Thailand and that they can only obtain them from an Embassy overseas. A retirement visa can be obtained at Thai Immigration whilst only having a tourist permission to stay. So if someone comes to Thailand and decides to retire, there is no need to leave the Country to obtain a visa at great expense and waste of time.

OK, my bad.

But to point out, your 1 year extension is called "permission to stay" with a retirement stamp (similar to mine but no retirement on mine as not retired). The only item to say "VISA" is the re-entry permit.

Edited by ludditeman

There are basically three options to start a legit retirement here. People choose based on their personal needs and preferences.

3. Get a single entry O in Thailand as part of the "two step process" paired with the second step, the retirement extension. Not all Thai immigration offices do the change of status though, so some need to do that in Bangkok.

Yep Jing, that's what I was referring to above.... It's the one weird kind of exception at present to the general and correct proposition that extensions are issued inside Thailand by Immigration, and visas are issued outside Thailand by consulates/embassies.

I think it's important that people not misunderstand that process, though... Immigration is only doing that as an intermediary step en route to a retirement extension for those who qualify...

Even in BKK, I don't believe someone can walk in and ask for and receive a retirement visa... the same as they'd receive outside Thailand. AFAIK, those are only being done as part of a retirement EXTENSION application for those who don't already have some non Imm entry status, such as tourist visa arrivals.

Hi all, are any of you retired people on a Non-immigrant O retirement visa paying tax (PIT) on your pensions/income? There seems to be different opinions on the matter. Even lawfirms are confusing me, they say I don't have to pay tax on that visa. Revenue depertment says another thing. Any experience anyone?