Question On Retirement Visa

This time when I get to Thailand I was going to apply for a retirement visa. Is there an immigration office in the Udon Thani area or should I get it in Bangkok? If there is one in Udon are they harder to deal with then Bangkok or Pattaya?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the Udon office offers change of status from 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O (not O-A of course) for purposes of doing the retirement extension as the second step? Not all offices do that.

OP, you should state how you plan to qualify for better advice -- bank account method, embassy letter income method, or combo method.

You also have the option of starting with an O-A from your home country. In that case, if using the bank account method, the banked money does not need to be in Thailand to get your initial visa.

Edited by Jingthing

I am in Iraq at the moment. I was hoping to head to Thailand when I finnish work here. Not looking forward to a trip to the states and back again. I had talked to Sunbelt about 3 years ago and they told me there was a way to change the tourist visa to a O or A . But then they are Lawyers so can you trust them? So what you are saying I have to head to the states to get one and then to Thailand?

Does anyone know if the Udon office offers change of status from 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O (not O-A of course) for purposes of doing the retirement extension as the second step? Not all offices do that.

OP, you should state how you plan to qualify for better advice -- bank account method, embassy letter income method, or combo method.

You also have the option of starting with an O-A from your home country. In that case, if using the bank account method, the banked money does not need to be in Thailand to get your initial visa.

At the moment I have 2 mil bt in the bank of bangkok. I can also qualify with a letter of income from the embassy.

Edited by furyrider

There is no need for you to go to the US to get your visa sorted.

Forget about the O-A visa. Never possible to get in Thailand and you don't need one.

You just need to learn the terminology and options.

Entering Thailand on a 30 day stamp or tourist visa IF Udon offers change of status to O visa for retirement extension applicants you can do everything there. Sometimes they required 21 days to be left on your extension of stay so entering on a 30 day stamp would put you in a rush situation. Ask here for info about Udon policies on that.

If Udon doesn't offer change of status, you can do that FIRST step in Bangkok.

Then the second step, annual extension based on retirement in Udon.

OR you can get a single entry O just based on being over 50 in Laos or Malaysia, then do the annual extension in Udon.

You have the banked money needed (needs to be seasoned two months for first extension).

The only issue I see is getting your bank letter from the bank.

WHERE is your home branch for your Thai bank account?

If it is not in Udon, there MAY be a problem getting the needed bank letter for immigration as sometimes Thai banks will only do that from your home branch.

Alternatively, you can get an income letter from the US embassy in Bangkok as you say you have the needed income.

So now, you just have to work on the details. Definitely no need for a trip to the US, so good news for you.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes you can convert at a cost of 2,000 baht but if in Udon they may require it be done in Bangkok (as above) but it would be the same cost to just visit Laos and get in Vientiane (one hour trip and overnight stay) and return with that and 60-80 days later apply for one year extension of stay for retirement. Then you will need a letter from bank (believe you are talking Bangkok Bank as there is no bank of bangkok). You will want to open account locally (if not already) as atm gets a surcharge for any out of area transactions. The actual extension will only require TM.7/1,900 baht/4x6cm photo/(copies of passport id/visa/entry/departure card) and bank passbook/letter. Some proof of address and perhaps draw a map. Very easy and no lawyers required. Be sure money is in your name only (at 800k or above for two months).

To the OP, as you get closer to actually doing this, I suggest you post further questions based on your specific strategy. That way you can avoid making some common mistakes. It seems to me if you want to try the change of status in Thailand rather than going for a single entry O in Laos, that first you need to find out definitively if the Udon office offers that service or not.

Thanks Jingthing and Lopburi3

See I was under the impression that I couldn't get an O visa in Laos only a 15 day tourist visa. So if I have this right I can come into Bangkok and get my tourist visa then head home to Udon. Later go to laos and pick up my O visa and then file for the extension.

Now when I go to Laos to get O visa what do I need other than baht and Copies of Passport and Photos?

Being over 50 that should be all you need but best to have address in Thailand information available. You receive a 30 day visa exempt entry in Bangkok rather than a visa but airline may want you to buy an onward air ticket within 30 days to allow boarding (but expect they may not be fussy there).

Yes, you can get a single entry O visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane, Laos. Assuming you are at least 50, that is. I will leave it to someone else to supply the technical details of the application. You can be open and tell them you plan to apply for a retirement extension as your reason for the visa.

I assume you will be entering Thailand on a 30 day stamp, not a 60 day tourist visa even though you mentioned tourist visa.

That all said, I do suggest that before you bother with the trip to Laos as you will be in Udon first anyway, that you quickly visit the Udon office and ask them if they will convert your 30 day stamp to an O visa as part of two step process, with the second being your extension. I say quickly because there may be a rush to do that conversion when entering on a 30 day stamp.

Also, how do you plan to financially qualify exactly? If by bank, you need a bank letter VERY close in date to the application for extension and like I said before often you need to go to your opening home bank branch to get that. If income letter, you need to visit the USA embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, you can get a single entry O visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane, Laos. Assuming you are at least 50, that is. I will leave it to someone else to supply the technical details of the application. You can be open and tell them you plan to apply for a retirement extension as your reason for the visa.

I assume you will be entering Thailand on a 30 day stamp, not a 60 day tourist visa even though you mentioned tourist visa.

That all said, I do suggest that before you bother with the trip to Laos as you will be in Udon first anyway, that you quickly visit the Udon office and ask them if they will convert your 30 day stamp to an O visa as part of two step process, with the second being your extension. I say quickly because there may be a rush to do that conversion when entering on a 30 day stamp.

Also, how do you plan to financially qualify exactly? If by bank, you need a bank letter VERY close in date to the application for extension and like I said before often you need to go to your opening home bank branch to get that. If income letter, you need to visit the USA embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

I was going to qualify with the bank deposit I have. The home branch is in Kumapawapi close to our house. I have one account that has had over 800,000 for more than 2 years now. We have been on good terms for years and they have always been helpful to both me and my wife.

And yes I am over 50 but just don't like to admit it.

hello can you please confirm that an o visa is the same as a retirement visa .as there seem to be some confusion over this, I have O on my visa so does this mean I don't have to leave the country every 90 days? Or just go to an immigration office and get my passport stamped ? I am over 50 and when I applied for my visa I was told to get a retirement visa so that's what I thought I had!!So does a retirement visa have a different stamp /category?Thanks docI now it seems to say this on your site but people I met over in Thailand seem to be also confused I rent I house in Thailand and stay here from England for 9 months at a time

Retirement visas (O-A) are only available in your home country. Extensions based on retirement are available at Thai immigration offices. If you are residing in Udon Thani, you are required to use the local office for your extensions.

http://www.udonimmig...on.udonmap.com/

Did you perhaps get that visa at Hull? It is not a long stay (retirement visa) if you did. Only London Embassy can issue and requires medical/police report.

The Long Stay visa is a non immigrant O-A (not -O-) and only that provides a one year stay on entry (what stamp did you receive - you must leave or extend before that allowed to stay until date. If multi entry you can return for a new stay anytime before the use before date on the actual visa.

I am in Iraq at the moment. I was hoping to head to Thailand when I finnish work here. Not looking forward to a trip to the states and back again. I had talked to Sunbelt about 3 years ago and they told me there was a way to change the tourist visa to a O or A . But then they are Lawyers so can you trust them? So what you are saying I have to head to the states to get one and then to Thailand?

I have been looking at this issue for a while now in anticipation of my move to Thailand in December.

One helpful step-by-step description of the process can be found here:

http://www.wpcoe.com/visa/

Note the caveat at the front end that it represents the experiences of a US citizen going though the process in Pattaya; Udon Thani may differ.

Sounds like you're all set except for the question about whether Udon immigration does change of status (30 day stamp or tourist visa conversion to O) service or not.

If Udon won't do that kind of conversion, wouldn't another option be to simply to make a short stay in Bangkok after arriving at the airport, and do the conversion to a retirement extension at Bangkok Immigration (which absolutely does do those conversions), and then head onward to Udon...

Although the OP indicated his bank account is in the Udon area and presumably he'd have to go there to get a bank letter for income qualifying purposes, he also seemed to indicate he could qualify based on monthly income... Thus, he could also satisfy the income requirement simply by getting an income letter from the U.S. Consulate in BKK.

I have been looking at this issue for a while now in anticipation of my move to Thailand in December.

Note the caveat at the front end that it represents the experiences of a US citizen going though the process in Pattaya; Udon Thani may differ.

It seems to me there is a confusion about correct terminology of what is often refered to as "Retirement Visa".

I did several "Visa runs" for 60 day tourist visas to Vientianne before applying for my "Retirement Visa" here in Bangkok - personally (no paid assistance). There is no need to start this process while in your homecountry - but you can. I am American and have my Visa extensions now for several years based on my monthly income.

Per the statement of the OP - he will qualify per his monthly income. Therefore a trip to the US Embassy for a notarised statement will satisfy the Thai Immigration requirements for this "Retirement Visa or Extension".

Please note the US Embassy in Bangkok now requires making an appointment over the Internet for US Citizen services.

Edited by Parvis

It seems to me there is a confusion about correct terminology of what is often refered to as "Retirement Visa".

I did several "Visa runs" for 60 day tourist visas to Vientianne before applying for my "Retirement Visa" here in Bangkok - personally (no paid assistance). There is no need to start this process while in your homecountry - but you can. I am American and have my Visa extensions now for several years based on my monthly income.

Per the statement of the OP - he will qualify per his monthly income. Therefore a trip to the US Embassy for a notarised statement will satisfy the Thai Immigration requirements for this "Retirement Visa or Extension".

Please note the US Embassy in Bangkok now requires making an appointment over the Internet for US Citizen services.

hi, i moved to thailand from australia in februari this year. i had a 60 day tourist visa from sydney. at arrival i went to immigration office in chiang mai. they told me to open bank account with at least 800.000 baht and have a proof of address.This money for the first time needed to be in the account for at least 1 month. so i gave them a sheet from the appartment i was in and opened a thai bank account in Chiang Mai with Bangkok Bank. i transferred 800k baht from australia with my visa card. 30 days later i went to bank to get a proof of transfer of the money and went to immigration office. i had a 10 minute chat with them and they gave me the NON-O retirement visa. every 3 months i have to go immigration office and show up and sign document that i still live in the same address. for next year i have to make sure that 800k baht is in my account 3 months before expiry date and show up again for 1 year extension. that is all and you need nothing or nobody to do this. very easy and simple. when you have proof of 800k in the bank for 3 months before expiry and in those 3 months till expiry the account never goes under 800k that is all your proof you need to 'retire'. you do not need any document from home country and no medical and no police and no income proof etcetera. That is what you need when you apply in your home country. in thailand immigration you do not need anything other than proof of 800k baht. the initial application for your first non-o visa is only 1 month otherwise you cannot legally stay in Thailand when that was 3 months, because that is the maximum duration of any other visa. they know that you have to open a bank account and that you have to transfer. all those jobs easy fit in the 2 months tourist visa duration..... success!

It's similar to mother's in law and lawyers. Do not trust them....................jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

hi, i moved to thailand from australia in februari this year. i had a 60 day tourist visa from sydney. at arrival i went to immigration office in chiang mai. they told me to open bank account with at least 800.000 baht and have a proof of address.This money for the first time needed to be in the account for at least 1 month. so i gave them a sheet from the appartment i was in and opened a thai bank account in Chiang Mai with Bangkok Bank. i transferred 800k baht from australia with my visa card. 30 days later i went to bank to get a proof of transfer of the money and went to immigration office. i had a 10 minute chat with them and they gave me the NON-O retirement visa. every 3 months i have to go immigration office and show up and sign document that i still live in the same address. for next year i have to make sure that 800k baht is in my account 3 months before expiry date and show up again for 1 year extension. that is all and you need nothing or nobody to do this. very easy and simple. when you have proof of 800k in the bank for 3 months before expiry and in those 3 months till expiry the account never goes under 800k that is all your proof you need to 'retire'. you do not need any document from home country and no medical and no police and no income proof etcetera. That is what you need when you apply in your home country. in thailand immigration you do not need anything other than proof of 800k baht. the initial application for your first non-o visa is only 1 month otherwise you cannot legally stay in Thailand when that was 3 months, because that is the maximum duration of any other visa. they know that you have to open a bank account and that you have to transfer. all those jobs easy fit in the 2 months tourist visa duration..... success!

Immigration all over the country are handling it a little different. Guess the money has to be on your bank account in Thailand and on your name for three months for the first time. jap.gif

Some points.

Retirement Visa: An O-A visa obtained from your home country. That is the only thing that is a retirement visa. A retirement visa is NOT required to retire in Thailand. It is just an option. Eventually people starting with an O-A will enter the retirement extension in Thailand system unless they are rare cases who keep getting new O-A visas.

Extension based on retirement: A one year renewable extension obtained at your local Thai immigration office. The original "base" visa for that can be either an O visa or an O-A visa. People on retirement extensions need to report their address to immigration every 90 days they are in Thailand but they do not need to do visa runs every 90 days.

Even some immigration officers may tell you that a retirement extension is a retirement visa. But yes, they are wrong, an extension is not a visa.

Money seasoning requirements for those using the 800K bank method only. For the FIRST extension based on retirement, two months, for subsequent ones, three months.

Edited by Jingthing

Will add to above explanation - which is correct - that poster was reporting a change of status and extension of stay combined where he was allowed to make with one month of funds in account (they would have been there two months by the time extension started so perhaps office took that into account? - it is a local decision on retirement). Note that not all offices will make the conversion (to non immigrant visa entry) but in that case Bangkok will and you can later obtain extension in normal manner at local immigration office.

Sunbelt was used by myself in July and it was without problems. I arrived by a tourist visa on 7th of July and 12th of July i had appointment in Bangkok (only one place where you can change TR vis to Non Imm 0 ) at 10 am and before 12 Lunchtime i left with my receipt and the hearing date about one week later 19th of July.I had all my documents as per list send by Sunbelt and the Bankletter from the day before but i had to update the Bankletter in the basement of the building because of one typing error in the Bank account number ( one number too much) I got my 3 months non imm 0 on 19th of July and after 2 months and 1 day I made the retirement extention in Khon Kaen withhin 1 hour and of course with an new updated Bankletter with the statment my money is there over 3 months before. But do not forget to apply for the multi entry in same time.

Last year I got a Non-O 3 month visa and a 1 year extension based on a tourist visa at the same day in Khon Kaen:

• End of March 2010 I got a tourist visa in Vientane with two entries.
  • End of May 2010 I used the second entry.
  • End of June 2010 I went to the immigration office in Khon Kaen two times due to missing documents at my first visit.
    Documents required (1 copy for each application):
    • TM.86 "Application for change of Visa"
    • TM.7 "Application for extension of stay"
    • Passport
    • 2 copies of passport pages: foto, visa (tourist visa from Vientane), permission to stay, Departure Card
    • Confirmation of income from German embassy and a copy
    • Bank book and 2 copies of each page (combination of income and bank account)
    • Confirmation from bank and a copy
    • 2 copies of rental agreement for house
    • 2 copies of tabien ban of rented house
    • 2 copies of id card of house owner with original signature

I received

• Non-O visa with permission to stay until end of September 2010, payed 2.000 THB.
    • Extension of stay until end of September 2011, payed 1.900 THB.

Edited by willi2006

Retirement visas (O-A) are only available in your home country. Extensions based on retirement are available at Thai immigration offices. If you are residing in Udon Thani, you are required to use the local office for your extensions.

http://www.udonimmigration.udonmap.com/

This information is incorrect as regards retirement visas. I arrived on a tourist 30day permission to stay, i.e. without visa. I went to Thai Immigration Chaengwattana which is for residents of Bangkok, and they issued me with a retirement Non Immigrant (Non-O for cheewit) visa based on B800,000 aged in a Thai bank for 3 months (HSBC in my case). The stamp says I entered the Country on 29th July 2010 as though I had gone out of the Country obtained a Visa at an Embassy and came back in. Fortunately Thailand is the land of all possibilities.

http://www.udonimmigration.udonmap.com/

This information is incorrect as regards retirement visas. I arrived on a tourist 30day permission to stay, i.e. without visa. I went to Thai Immigration Chaengwattana which is for residents of Bangkok, and they issued me with a retirement Non Immigrant (Non-O for cheewit) visa based on B800,000 aged in a Thai bank for 3 months (HSBC in my case). The stamp says I entered the Country on 29th July 2010 as though I had gone out of the Country obtained a Visa at an Embassy and came back in. Fortunately Thailand is the land of all possibilities.

The information given by Jingthing is 100% correct.

You are talking about extensions of stay.