Suvarnabhumi Airport

VictorOne

Thought it might be appropriate and helpful if there were a thread dedicated to Suvarnabhumi Airport and it's ongoing day to day status.

When speaking to my travel agent a short time ago she said that Thai do not issue bulletins and it's either open for business or it's closed.

No forecasts on likely scenarios etc.

So the best information is probably only available from travelers on the ground as they pass through.

Is it thought that flooding will / or might be a problem?

We all know not to believe these bland statements that all will be well. They are nothing more than a civil servant protecting his ass.

I was advised by an agent in my local THAI office this morning, Thursday, that my flight from Bkk to Johannesburg at 01:15 Saturday morning might well be diverted & could take-off from another airport such as Chiang Mai, Phuket or U'tapao.

So all is not as it was portrayed. Flyers beware.

I'm at the airport now, connecting after a flight from upcountry, and it is pouring rain at the moment. Taxiing in, I noticed that the drainage canals along the taxiways are as full as I have ever seen them. I would estimate that they are about 1.5 metres from reaching the top and then overflowing onto the runaways, at which point I am sure the airport will be closed. Don't mean to be alarmist here, as we all know they have pumps to drain the canals and the water level may well not get any higher.

Descending around Nakhon Sawan, the weather was scattered clouds and I could see the extent of the flooding. All I can say is that the extent of flooding beggars belief. As far as I could see looking west, everything was flooded, and only trees, houses, and temples were poking above the water. It truly looked like a large inland sea.

A couple of photos I snapped with my iPhone at around midday today:

post-665-0-36151200-1318573083_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-53630500-1318573069_thumb.jpg

Edited by bubba

I took this picture today (14 October 2011) at 6pm. It shows the situation at the north-west corner of the airport. Everything still normal, but you can see that the klong at the west of the airport is filled up nearly to top level. Between the klong and the airport you can see a black line. This is the flood protection dyke that has been enhanced with 1 meter mud on the top.

post-129800-0-00580900-1318604260_thumb.

Position Google Map

You can check the Arrivals and Departures boards at SBIA:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/flight_schedule_passenger_arrival_en.php

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/flight_schedule_passenger_departure_en.php

You should also check with your airline.

I did see a briefing on TV and the official (yes, I believe him) said that they have eight (8) pumping systems at SBIA and that they had only enough water to run two of these systems.

With heavy downpours it is not unusual for arrival delays owing to decreased visibility and/or poor braking conditions as they spread out arrivals and departures. Diverting to UTP is rare and usually occurs during very high wind situations.

This map can give you a feel for the current and 3 - 5 day situation. Note that the area immediately north of the airport (Lat Krabang Road) may flood.

http://flood.gistda.or.th/

Just a short update to my previous post obove.

I took the pictures today (Sunday, 16 October 2011) at 2pm. Still not much to worry about at the west and north of the airport. The water has not much risen imho compared to two days before. The airport itself seems dry and not affected by flood. But some lower streets in Lat Krabang are flooded.

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-28094400-1318761439_thumb.

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-35477900-1318761435_thumb.

At least the yellow shirts and the red shirts have settled down. It seems like the Thai people are once again working together during this crisis.I hope this cooperation in an emergency continues after the flood waters recede. It was scary last time I went to the airport with all of the protests going on.

Just a short update to my previous posts obove.

I took the pictures today (Monday, 17 October 2011) at 2pm. Still not much to worry about at the west and north of the airport. The water has not much risen compared to yesterday. The airport itself seems dry and not affected by flood. But some lower streets in Lat Krabang are flooded and some klongs are leaking water. All klongs are filled to maximum. Thanon Lat Krabang between Highway #9 and Thanon Rom Klao dry. Thanon King Kaeo at the west of the airport also dry.

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-20156400-1318840896_thumb.

post-129800-0-68032900-1318840891_thumb.

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-34476600-1318840888_thumb.

Just a short update to my previous posts above.

I took the pictures today (Tuesday, 18 October 2011) at 2pm. Still not much to worry about at the west and north of the airport. The water has not much risen compared to yesterday. The airport itself seems dry and not affected by flood. But some lower streets in Lat Krabang are flooded and the klongs are leaking water. All klongs are filled to maximum. Thanon Lat Krabang between Highway #9 and Thanon Rom Klao dry but farther to the east partly water. Thanon King Kaeo at the west of the airport is dry.

There are warnings that Lat Krabang, and area around Thanon King Kaeo will have rising water today and tomorrow. But we will see...

North-West-Corner

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-23530600-1318941201_thumb.

post-129800-0-75895300-1318941197_thumb.

North

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-12268200-1318941184_thumb.

Klong in the North is leaking water

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-24804300-1318941191_thumb.

Just a short update to my previous posts above.

I took the pictures today (Wednesday, 19 October 2011) at 2pm. Still not much to worry about at the west and north of the airport. The water has not much risen compared to yesterday. The airport itself seems dry and not affected by flood. Water has not yet reached the airport protection dykes. But some lower streets in Lat Krabang are flooded and the klongs are leaking water. All klongs are filled to maximum. Thanon Lat Krabang between Highway #9 and Thanon Rom Klao dry but farther to the east partly water. Thanon King Kaeo at the west of the airport is dry.

There are warnings that people in Lat Krabang should leave their homes if possible. But not many seem to do it at this time. Its a sunny day and water seems to be far away for the people i guess...

North-West-Corner

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-96008800-1319012128_thumb.

post-129800-0-48420800-1319012125_thumb.

North

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-75664100-1319012112_thumb.

Klong in the North is leaking water

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-96415500-1319012117_thumb.

Free spaces get used for parking/rescue hundreds Mitsubishi truck

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-68922300-1319012122_thumb.

I think that the drainage and pumps at Suvarnabhumi will be capable of keeping the airport flood-free. However, Highway 7 is low either side of the entrance from the north and that will most likely flood. The option then would be to use the elevated expressway on the south side with the chance that the final 3km access up the east side of the airport may be flooded. The airport express train may see an increase in passenger load... I hope they add cars/services. The downside is the Makkasan end will likely be flooded.

The wife left Don Muang at 6am today with no delays but the fact that the RTAF have moved their aircraft elsewhere is ominous. Don Muang airport will be the opposite of Suvarnabhumi in that the elevated highway will keep drivers high and dry but the airport itself will be under water.

Just a short update to my previous posts above. I will not visit the airport the next days, maybe someone else can provide some flood status information the next days.

I took the pictures Thursday, 20 October 2011, at 2pm. Still not much to worry about at the west and north of the airport. The airport itself seems dry and not affected by flood. Water has not yet reached the airport protection dykes. Lower streets in Lat Krabang are flooded and some klongs are overflowing. All klongs are filled to maximum. Thanon Lat Krabang between Highway #9 and Thanon Rom Klao dry but farther to the east partly under deeper water (up to 30cm).

North

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-39608500-1319131515_thumb.

Thanon Lat Krabang at crossing with Thanon King Kaeo

Position Google Map

post-129800-0-08460200-1319131510_thumb.

Great work Khun Wantan - nice to know what the state of play is.

I'm booked to arrive in Bangkok on Nov 4th and am getting a bit anxious about wether the airport will be open and I'll be able to get into my hotel at Silom.

Edited by Stekmer

Arrived last night, and no sign of flooding and the drainage canals around the taxiways didn't look higher than normal. The only sign of an impending flood were hundreds of cars parked along the elevated highway. Even cargo companies had parked trailers up there. I'd say you could still forget parking in the usual car parks.

Great work Khun Wantan - nice to know what the state of play is.

I'm booked to arrive in Bangkok on Nov 4th and am getting a bit anxious about wether the airport will be open and I'll be able to get into my hotel at Silom.

Suvarnabhumi has 3.5 metre flood dikes and a drainage system, plus there is an elevated airport express train into town. If the water surpasses 3.5 metres and floods the airport, you probably won't even want to think about going down to Silom, which would likely be under even more water than Suvarnabhumi.

Thanks for an excellent update and photos, especially Wantan. This has been exactly what I am after.

My wife was due to fly out of Udon Thani to Don Muang Airport this coming Wednesday. That has now changed and she will be flying out today. I am very concerned about her safety and of course whether she will be able to make her international flight which is on this coming Friday night through to Perth.

Not sure if there is an forum for the Domestic Airport of Don Muang but my wife was advised that this airport may be extremely affected starting Tuesday and following. Do not take that as the official word as things can change, that was just what my wife was told.

Cheers

Thanks for an excellent update and photos, especially Wantan. This has been exactly what I am after.

My wife was due to fly out of Udon Thani to Don Muang Airport this coming Wednesday. That has now changed and she will be flying out today. I am very concerned about her safety and of course whether she will be able to make her international flight which is on this coming Friday night through to Perth.

Not sure if there is an forum for the Domestic Airport of Don Muang but my wife was advised that this airport may be extremely affected starting Tuesday and following. Do not take that as the official word as things can change, that was just what my wife was told.

Cheers

Just saw a twitter on #ThaiFloodEng saying that TV report were saying that the flood waters had already reached the front gate of Don Muang airport. Here is a video of it:

Don Muang front gate

My wife is coming into Don Muang after 9pm on Monday. No problem getting into the airport to pick her up (from the elevated) but that flooding looks like it can only get worse in the next 18 hours or so and exiting from Don Muang, one has to drive about 2km south before the entrance ramp to the elevated.

Coming back to thailand late tuesday night. Have seven hours to kill before onward flight to chiang mai. Does anyone know if it will be risky to leave the airport to stay at one of the nearby hotels? Is the area just around the airport likely to remain flood-free?

It is pretty difficult finding out just which parts of bkk are likely to get wet from government announcements!

Or perhaps i should just sleep in the airport - any recommendations for a decent part of it to sit down and sleep for a few hours? I would be airside.

Thanks, and good luck for everybody.

:whistling:

The honest truth is nothing is sure.

Suvarnabhumi has a 3.5 meter (11 foot) high flood barrier around it to keep out flood waters.

If that barrier is breached flood water will come poring in and Suvarnabhumi is lower than other areas so the water will naturally go there.

However, right now there is no sign that will happen, and the water outside the barrier is far below that 3.5 meter barrier.

The weather right now is sunny, no rain. No big storms in Bangkok area forcasted either.

This is still the rainy season, however, and afternoon thunderstorms are always possible.

For this time of year the last week has been quite dry and sunny.

The roads from Suvarnabhumi into Bangkok are elevated...some 15 meters above the normal street level. If flood water gets that high all of Bangkok will be under water and Suvarnabhumi will not matter anyhow.

What they are showing on Thai television, and the foriegn news is also covering is a few areas that have up to a meter of water in them. These areas are slightly lower than other areas of Bangkok, so any flood water naturally runs down into those areas.

What they are NOT showing is that maybe 300 meters away from those areas there is absolutely no water. No news value in showing dry streets, is there?

Where I am typing this, my street ( my soi) is bone dry.

Aount 1 km away in Don Mueang there is flooding. The Rangsit/Laksi areas are also flooded...between me and Don Mueang (old airport) is also flooded. But still dry where I live.

The other thing to say is that there is a LOT of water in the Chaopaya river from runoff due to the last few weeks of rain up north. That water is going to go to the ocean somehow, and Bangkok is in it's way. There are flood barriers to divert most of that water around the center of Bangkok. Right now they are holding and much of that water is being diverted to the north-east areas outside of the main area of Bangkok. As you might expect the residents living in that area are not happy with that situation.

But to focus on Suvarnabhumi...right now it is dry. If that flood barrier holds it will stay dry. if it doesn't there will be a meter of water on Suvarnabhumi airport.

Right now, today, the weather is good and it looks optomistic foe Suvarnabhumi at this time.

Tommorrow...who knows. Maybe Buddha.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Good post IMA_FARANG

Any thoughts on the possible outcomes for the area with hotels just outside Suvarnabhumi?

Like the femi fan I'm flying in to Bangkok next week on my way to Phnom Penh and fancy getting a hotel (Orchid Resort looks reasonable) in the ajoining Lat Krabang area.

I know its impossible to predict - just curious as to the flooding history of that area around Suvarnabhumi Airport where quite a few hotels are located.

Good post IMA_FARANG

Any thoughts on the possible outcomes for the area with hotels just outside Suvarnabhumi?

Like the femi fan I'm flying in to Bangkok next week on my way to Phnom Penh and fancy getting a hotel (Orchid Resort looks reasonable) in the ajoining Lat Krabang area.

I know its impossible to predict - just curious as to the flooding history of that area around Suvarnabhumi Airport where quite a few hotels are located.

Lat Krabang has always been prone to flooding, even after a heavy rainy season downpour. Personally, I would not plan on staying there next week with any degree of confidence that it will be dry. Actually, some roads are already flooded there now.

Guys.......great posts and some great info.....impressive stuff...!!

I'm going to be flying in from Iraq next week and need to stop off at the Bumrungrad Int'l hospital in Sukhumvit, Wattana before I go back to Isaan, so I need to know if I'm going to be able to make it there or if I'm going to have to find another hospital before I come home....so I will be keeping a close eye on this topic..... :jap: