Where Can I Live In Bangkok ?

flakes

Hello,

I have the plan to relocate with my son of 8 years old from Pattaya to Bangkok.

I am a single daddy from Europe and so i hope to get some ideas.

I not sure if i will fit in easely in the most ordinary villages in Bangkok, especially if there is only thai people living there then misunderstandings can quickely occur is my experience.

I might be better of in some appartment estate or condo block but then with good play areas outside like pool and some other play ground where kids play after school.?

i think i am looking for a centrally location then child friendly and full with family orienteated people.

If possible with some foreigners families and or mixed children same as my son is.

near affordable Int schools would be nice aswell.

who can reccomend me some villages or appartment complexes that is polular with foreigners families and good price for value?

monthly budget 20-30 K

thanks,

Flakes

With that kind of budget you can get very nice, furnished 2-bedroom condos in most areas, with swimming pool and everything, shouldn't be difficult at all. If you don't have a car, better look close to the BTS stations, and you'll be looking at around 30k in central areas, then less and less as you go farther out / away from BTS.

Actually i do have a car and i do have a motorbike..

I could use them for bringing me back and forward to subway stations

So does anyone has a could reccomendation? about an large estate or condo block with something to do for kids after school?

With that kind of budget you can get very nice, furnished 2-bedroom condos in most areas, with swimming pool and everything, shouldn't be difficult at all. If you don't have a car, better look close to the BTS stations, and you'll be looking at around 30k in central areas, then less and less as you go farther out / away from BTS.

With that kind of budget I'd say he can get a nice 1-bedroom condo. If he's looking for a nice 2-bedroom in a central location he's looking at 45k.

Drop the central location and move to the outskirts of Bangkok and you could get a nice 2-bedrom for 30-35k, that's my opinion.

Or a reasonably attractive house, getting bigger, more attractive and more reasonable at longer and more inconvenient distances from downtown or public transport.

I have seen relatively decent, gracefully aging condos with 2-3 bedrooms going for 25-30K++, if that's really what you're looking for; you'll probably have to shop around a bit.

You may wish to consider apartment complexes which are also primarily used by Japanese or Koreans, as they seem to be good value, well maintained, and I know that most young families from those nationalities have children and make good neighbors.

There really aren't many 'play areas' in all of Bangkok. You'll be lucky if the school your son goes to has one. Most children in Bangkok either play on the street, inside, in shopping areas, or if they're quite wealthy in their families' gated compound grounds (separated from most reality).

'Affordable' and real 'international schools' don't usually figure in the same sentence. The good ones are exorbitant (300-500K++ a year). The adequate ones are expensive (150-200K+ a year). The dodgy/uncertain ones are affordable (50-150K a year) (IMHO). If your son can gear up on the Thai quickly- and young children often can- you'd be better off in one of the really good public Thai places over the low level 'international' places.

Furthermore, 'centrally located' and 'good international schools' presents a bit of a problem, especially if you also want 'affordable'. NIST covers the central location (Asok) and the 'good' part, but is certainly not a budget school. The other really 'good' schools are rather out of town in one direction or another (Bangkok Pattana is barely even in Bangkok province, and ISB is so far out in the boonies they didn't even cancel classes during the red madness). I think Shrewsbury is a bit of a hike, too. None of those are budget options. Some of the Catholic schools are more affordable and more central... but... but... well, aside from objecting to the religious stuff, I don't like what I know about student cultures at some of those schools (some are better than others).

Hope this helps you in considering your options.

We are in school search mode. Shrewsbury would be the most convenient for us but the fees are more than I make. Slight exagration but 500k a year for a 3yr old is just a bit high, just lol

Better off looking for a school that teaches good reading and writing until your youngster in 10 or 11 James....oh and good sports....rolleyes.gif

Then you can rack up a proper head shed if you want after that. Best to wait and see what your kid wants best too imo.

there is a condo in naratawais soi 24 called Bangkok Gardens.It is a big complex and boasts the gardens in a condo in Bangkok.There are 2 swimming pools,and lots of play areas for kids.Also lots of families ,many farang.

I used to live there ,had a big condo and paid 32,000 per month ,but perhaps there are smaller condos.

There are a lot of condos in this area.and it's walking distance from BRT which links up with BTS.

We are in school search mode. Shrewsbury would be the most convenient for us but the fees are more than I make. Slight exagration but 500k a year for a 3yr old is just a bit high, just lol

Better off looking for a school that teaches good reading and writing until your youngster in 10 or 11 James....oh and good sports....rolleyes.gif

Then you can rack up a proper head shed if you want after that. Best to wait and see what your kid wants best too imo.

Yea smokes I agree; at 2.5 now he speaks english to me mostly but occaisionaly throws in a "scouse diving kamoy" when he sees suarez. Funny enough when the mrs reads an english book to him he refers to her as mom, but mair (I don't know how you spell it and don't care) when she reads a thai book to him.

there is a condo in naratawais soi 24 called Bangkok Gardens.It is a big complex and boasts the gardens in a condo in Bangkok.There are 2 swimming pools,and lots of play areas for kids.Also lots of families ,many farang.

I used to live there ,had a big condo and paid 32,000 per month ,but perhaps there are smaller condos.

There are a lot of condos in this area.and it's walking distance from BRT which links up with BTS.

You cannot get a serviced 2-bedroom in central BKK for less than 45k. Bangkok Gardens rates are 45k (not surprisingly, this is exactly what I stated in my previous post).

www.bangkokgarden.com/room.html

Renting a condo in BKK is very much about location and age. Older condos are usually much bigger as well. My best bet if you're looking for a good size 2-bedroom is to stay away from the new furnished places which WILL cost you ~45k in a central location.

This discussion now also includes tuition fees and similar, which ones again makes me seriously eager to mention that Bangkok is not a cheap place to live - contrary to what many believe it has the potential to be more expensive than a western country, especially when there's kids involved.

Edited by bazmlb

Dont have kids so no advice there but there are loads of 2 bedroom places in your price range.

Check out www.mrroomfinder.com, you can plug in price range, location, number of bedrooms and get a list of places and then you can check them out yourself in person

There is a glut of properties to rent so I suggest that you take your time and you will find something that meets your budget and other requirements.

You might find this property listing web site useful asiapropertyworld.com and if you can't see something that interests you can use the find an agent option to send your requirements straight to agents in Bangkok.

Good luck :)

yes this sounds really nice i will certainely check out this complex...

still a little pricy for me but perhaps i can make some deal with a landlord who need rental income..

hope people can forward me mroe appartment complexes like that..

flakes

yes i saw that price list for the serviced condo for bkk gardens aswell however it might be that if you deal directly with an landlord and you skip the service deal that much lower prices are possible...they all aks high amounts but here in asia sometime u can make good negotiations..

i ok living between koreans and japanses they much often are well educated and are family oriented..

i think my focus is on larger appartment blocks with some nice landscaping garden greenery playground p,ools.there must be a couple of them in bkk for sure..

You cannot get a serviced 2-bedroom in central BKK for less than 45k. Bangkok Gardens rates are 45k (not surprisingly, this is exactly what I stated in my previous post).

www.bangkokgarden.com/room.html

Renting a condo in BKK is very much about location and age. Older condos are usually much bigger as well. My best bet if you're looking for a good size 2-bedroom is to stay away from the new furnished places which WILL cost you ~45k in a central location.

This discussion now also includes tuition fees and similar, which ones again makes me seriously eager to mention that Bangkok is not a cheap place to live - contrary to what many believe it has the potential to be more expensive than a western country, especially when there's kids involved.

Hey Flakes,

Have a look at our site - http://www.three-homes.com/ and give us a call, we can find the perfect property for you at that budget. Sadly due to our new website build we have only listed about 10% of our actual listings, so it's best to give us a call or e-mail and let one of our agents (experienced farang) do a hunt tailored for you.

Some of our properties in your budget - Properties between 20,000 - 30,000

Hot property at the moment - http://www.three-homes.com/property/room-ratchada-ladprao-bangkok.html

Three Property.

082-202-9139

HI,

I now receive messages that probably Sathorn is the (best) location to live with kids in Bangkok.

Also in that location is a lot of choice for schools..

Seems many foreigenrs families living thee with their children and go to schools nearby.

Is this correct ?

I will now focus on Sathorn.

Flakes

Sathorn is ok just imo. Traffic?

I live on the river -great view-clean air, fab facilities, private boat to saphan taksin bts, 5 mins drive from my place to two big c's and expressway- 20 mins to emporium by car, 15mins to central rama 2.

I take the boat (15mins+bts 2 stations) to my office in 30 mins, no traffic jams.

My son loves it where we are and so my wife and I.

2 bedroom, 2 bath, laundry etc - 2yrs old, unserviced but well under 30k a month.

Best place I have lived in 12 yrs here.

Yes sounds ncie to

I live on the river -great view-clean air, fab facilities, private boat to saphan taksin bts, 5 mins drive from my place to two big c's and expressway- 20 mins to emporium by car, 15mins to central rama 2.

I take the boat (15mins+bts 2 stations) to my office in 30 mins, no traffic jams.

2 bedroom, 2 bath, laundry etc - 2yrs old, unserviced but well under 30k a month.

Yes sounds ncie to

Sukhumvit is more expensive (not by much) and more soughtafter purely because it's the "tourist scene" and the major BTS lineand has all the clubs / bars. It's more of the area for the single bachelor orbusiness person that enjoys the life style.

Sathorn is more modern and luxurious, clean air and luxurystyled condos by the river etc, it's a fantastic place to live and a goodfamily area. Now it has great BTS and boat links with modern high rise offices it'scrawling its way up to become the business capital (Similar to Ratchada) aswell.

Three Property.

Edited by ThreeProperty

Ok nice to hear so..

Any good schools nearby your building ? other children living in the apartment building ? many families there /

in my situation i have an inhome office so i just need to be living near to a decent school.

that why my first choice is Sathorn, but i will look other options aswell.

with Satorn i have the option to walk my son to school which is good.

Flakes

Yes sounds ncie to

Ok thanks yes i now get the picture...then Sathorn is more my cup of tea...

i will have a look at thonglor thoug jsut to check it out..

flakes

Flakes

Sukhumvit is more expensive (not by much) and more soughtafter purely because it's the "tourist scene" and the major BTS lineand has all the clubs / bars. It's more of the area for the single bachelor orbusiness person that enjoys the life style.

Sathorn is more modern and luxurious, clean air and luxurystyled condos by the river etc, it's a fantastic place to live and a goodfamily area. Now it has great BTS and boat links with modern high rise offices it'scrawling its way up to become the business capital (Similar to Ratchada) aswell.

Three Property.