Ios 5 Warning

xandreu

I have an iPhone 4 which I bought from an Apple store in the UK shortly before moving out to Thailand. I bought it from the Apple store because it was not locked to any network and as I was moving out to Thailand soon, I knew I'd be putting a Thai SIM in it, which I did and it worked fine.

I've just upgraded to the new iOS 5 and it now says that my SIM (AIS 1-2-Call) is not valid?? "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carriers store to recieve a replacement SIM card"

I can't do anything with the phone now apart from make emergency calls. I'm writing this firstly as a warning to others before you decide to upgrade, and secondly to see if anyone knows of any workaround?

I feel like I've walked into some sort of orchestrated Apple trap designed to make me buy a new phone...

I would do as the phone message states

Go to your local AIS office and let them fix it...

It looks to me like the message is saying that AIS is not a supported carrier?

But he said he put in his AIS SIM... AIS in a valid reseller of the iPhone and they know best why thier sim would not work...

Although I'm not exactly in the same situation, I purchased my phone from UK a couple months back, mine was purchased from eBay UK and sold as unlocked by 3 UK which I believe it was, however I requested the seller to revert the IOS from a beta 5 version back to 4.3.3 which he did, in doing so i believe he undid the unlock as it arrived to me locked to 3UK network, since at that time i was still in uk i managed to get the phone unlocked by 3 again, but I wouldn't want to have similar issues as you now have since I have no plans to return to UK for at least another year and at that time the apple store wouldn't help with my issues since the unlock wad done by 3UK and the phone at that time was still registered to the seller, I am assuming that I should now be registered with apple as the owner now so hopefully apple will now help with any issues I may have in future Please keep us posted on your progress

Well, I went back to the Telewiz shop that sold me the SIM card and they changed it for another SIM but it still wouldn't activate and kept telling me that the SIM card was not supported. They didn't know what the problem was and told me to go to the main AIS center here in Chiang Mai which I did.

They put my SIM in another iPhone 4 and it worked but I then spent about 20 minutes trying to explain that their iPhone was running iOS 4 and that my iPhone worked while it had iOS 4 on it, and that it's something to do with their SIM card(s) not being supported with iOS 5. She just looked at me blankly and told me to go an Apple store.

I've searched the internet for other people that are having the same troubles but can't find anything so I'm wondering if it's just my phone or if AIS SIM cards really are incompatible with iOS 5 at the moment, although I can't see how...

I'll try the Apple store although I'm not holding out much hope...

Anyone know how to go back to iOS 4? I've heard it can't be done...?

Well, I went back to the Telewiz shop that sold me the SIM card and they changed it for another SIM but it still wouldn't activate and kept telling me that the SIM card was not supported. They didn't know what the problem was and told me to go to the main AIS center here in Chiang Mai which I did.

They put my SIM in another iPhone 4 and it worked but I then spent about 20 minutes trying to explain that their iPhone was running iOS 4 and that my iPhone worked while it had iOS 4 on it, and that it's something to do with their SIM card(s) not being supported with iOS 5. She just looked at me blankly and told me to go an Apple store.

I've searched the internet for other people that are having the same troubles but can't find anything so I'm wondering if it's just my phone or if AIS SIM cards really are incompatible with iOS 5 at the moment, although I can't see how...

I'll try the Apple store although I'm not holding out much hope...

Anyone know how to go back to iOS 4? I've heard it can't be done...?

I would first try reinstalling iOS5...

Do you happen to know someone with an iPhone and a non AIS sim? Try that for a test

Also check out the following link - It's not your problem but may give you another strategy:

http://gizmodo.com/5849295/how-to-fix-the-ios-5-update-error-3200-updated?tag=ios-5

Edited by sfokevin

Just call apple they will solve the problem by just activating the unlock then you will need to restore again most likely

Yes.

Apple can remotely unlock your phone - if you give them your IMEI then they'll know whether or not your phone is officially unlocked; if it is, then it's their fault and they need to fix that.

Have you ever upgraded your phone software before? E.g. from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 or something like that? If that worked and didn't lock your phone, then your phone is definitely factory unlocked and shouldn't have an issue with iOS 5.

It's happening here in Japan, too. Some of them even brought their iPhone 4 to an Apple Store in Tokyo, had their phones and SIM cards exchanged twice, but after updating at home then at the store, it happened again.Technicians (if there are any ) at the Apple Store couldn't do anything about it. The exchanged ( old ) SIM cards worked perfectly fine on other phones.

I myself have been having a problem updating since yeasterday. "Error -5000" comes up on the screen every time I try to update. I've given up.