Another Driving Thread

MrBrad

I just came across a blog that gave some pointers on bicycling in Thailand, Bangkok in particular. With regard to safely (!) interacting with other vehicles on the road, a couple of amazing insights were explained. It's like putting on glasses for the first time. Could this be why most Thai drivers do not operate with the same rules of the road that so many of us non-Thais learned? But it does make sense, in a Thai sort of way.

A direct quote from the blog: "First, Thai traffic is like flowing water: if there is room on the road, even if it is obvious that the extra lane of traffic that is open now will be blocked in 100 yards by a car parked in that lane, you are expected to fill the open space. In that 100 yards, the cars and motorbikes that have been following behind you will probably take their opportunity to pass you."

And another, even more insightful: "Second, you are expected to be responsible for what you can see in front of you, up to the edge of your peripheral vision. This means that if you are passing a car, you are responsible to avoid that car up until that driver can, probably, see you in their peripheral vision. And, if the car is passing you, they are responsible not to hit you until they can't see you in their peripheral vision any more. As you might imagine, this creates a discrepancy, as a car is quite a bit larger than a bicycle, and they no longer consider you their responsibility if they can't see you without turning their heads or using their mirrors. Being aware of this expectation can help you remain prepared to apply your brakes, especially if the car is passing you near an intersection."

I've experienced both of these situations hundreds of times on both a bicycle and motorcycle (not at the same time, of course). Never, though, have I had an explanation telling me why. This might also explain to some degree why there is so much lane shifting and cars driving on the shoulders of the roads.

One of our members of the Chiang Mai writers group (and a member here) wrote a hilarious story about taking a Thai drivers test. I convulsed with suppressed laughter hearing him read it. It was so true and pretty much backed up what was posted here. Thai traffic IS like flowing water.It goes in all directions at once and you just have to blend in. But, it is sheer chaos if you try to fight it.

Edited by IanForbes

One of our members of the Chiang Mai writers group (and a member here) wrote a hilarious story about taking a Thai drivers test. I convulsed with suppressed laughter hearing him read it. It was so true and pretty much backed up what was posted here. Thai traffic IS like flowing water.It goes in all directions at once and you just have to blend in. But, it is sheer chaos if you try to fight it.

Maybe we could all use a laugh; I know I could. Would he be willing to post the hilarious story here?

Maybe we could all use a laugh; I know I could. Would he be willing to post the hilarious story here?

I"ll ask him when I get back to Chiang Mai.

a bicyle is the last thing i would use round the cities of thailand.you a small fish in a big sea of cars and bikes.you are coming third in the ranks of transport

In the last two years I have cycled some 24000 miles from my base in Hang Dong. I find the traffic more predictable than in the UK and therefore safer. As long as you know how they drive and how they behave you can cycle defensively and quite safely. So for me in any case, no problem.

a bicyle is the last thing i would use round the cities of thailand.you a small fish in a big sea of cars and bikes.you are coming third in the ranks of transport

In the last two years I have cycled some 24000 miles from my base in Hang Dong. I find the traffic more predictable than in the UK and therefore safer. As long as you know how they drive and how they behave you can cycle defensively and quite safely. So for me in any case, no problem.

While I don't have quite as many miles in Thailand as "ianf", I agree completely with what he says. I understand how a novice cyclist might be intimidated, but any avid cyclist will figure out the traffic patterns here quickly. If you've ridden here and still think it's dangerous then you haven't learned the rules of the road.

I've logged many miles in many countries and imho northern Thailand is one of the 2 or 3 safest and most enjoyable places in the world to ride a bike.

WOW 800 kms a week ??

I doubt I have driven that, even with a couple of CM / Phuket return trips. Thats one hell of a lot of daily cycling. More than 100 kms a day, every day, without a gap.

EDIT :: I reread that.. over 2 years.. still thats some distance.

Edited by LivinLOS

A few years back my friend's uncle rolled his pickup into the ditch along the highway somewhere south of Chom Tong, totally destroying the pickup. What had happened was that a large gravel truck was coming down the adjoining hill onto the highway, headed in the same direction as the pickup. The larger truck did not stop or yield for the highway traffic, and consequently the pickup was forced into the ditch. The gravel truck driver did not stop to see what he had done, of course, and the uncle was left to figure out how to get himself out of the ditch. Luckily he wasn't too badly hurt, but he was truckless.

When I asked my friend who was at fault there, he replied that his uncle was in the wrong. "The bigger vehicle has the right of way."

And speaking of rights of way, on the middle ring road there is (in Thai, of course) a "Yield Right of Way" sign along side the west-bound lane just as you cross the Ping River, headed toward the Government Center. The sign requires the highway traffic to yield to the traffic coming onto the highway from the smaller side road. Amazing. As might be expected, nobody pays attention to the sign.

here is a story a friend i know was driving with his wife along a road the right way.nice pick up too. then all of a sudden a motorbike coming the wrong way hit him bang in the front of the pick up.he was drunk driving the wrong way up the rd.he died.the police come said he was ok not your fault etc etc.in the end he had to pay out 1000 pound to the thai family.they bugged him every day saying if you not in thailand he still be alive today,all the excuses under the sun he heard.his wife said pay up so we can live in peace,he did.

even thou it was not his fault he had to pay as if he was too blame,he was not happy.he accepted it.he can laugh about it now as the door knocks stopped,his thai wife was right..the thai system is not the right way but he could not go against it.

I thought the more expensive cars always had the right of way!...

Also I have learned that all the painted marks on the roadway are only for decorative purposes...

Clunkers, junkers - IMO - have right of way. Would you expect the guy driving the 20 y.o. rusted out truck to be able to pay for your beemer repairs? I think not.

Therefore, when I'm driving my 20 y.o. rusted out truck, I drive carefree, like I own the road. Look out Mr. Luxury Automobile! biggrin.gif

I thought the more expensive cars always had the right of way!...

Also I have learned that all the painted marks on the roadway are only for decorative purposes...

Clunkers, junkers - IMO - have right of way. Would you expect the guy driving the 20 y.o. rusted out truck to be able to pay for your beemer repairs? I think not.

Therefore, when I'm driving my 20 y.o. rusted out truck, I drive carefree, like I own the road. Look out Mr. Luxury Automobile! biggrin.gif

You have a very good point here!

To organise a real Right Of Way vehicle I have a nice, ultra cheap idea. I'd have a battered old bus (full size) with the headlights blazing all day, but that would be hard to park.

And I can't justify buying a sinister black SUV with even blacker windows. Besides, I might be mistaken for a Thai politican and shot.

So after i get my quick little daily runabout (drivers seat lifted 4inches to see over the idiot's heads) re-painted, I am going to have made a set of 4 big scratch marks on self adhesive plastic, one for each corner. Put them on to help make headway through the morons, peel 'em off for smart occasions then stick on a fresh set on Monday morning.

I bought the current little commuter with 4 real dings in place already, courtesy of the first owner. And, boy, do they make people back off. Thus the need for the re-paint. But with sticky vinyl damage marks, I should get the best of both worlds, huh?

As soon as i work out a retail price per set, in 4 contrasting colours, I'll let you know.