Are Door Knobs And Deadbolts Universal Size?

tangcoral

If I were to bring door knobs and deadbolts from the US, will it fit on my existing on my doors?

Wondering if they are universally sized or differ in thailand?

Probably my luck but my keyed door knob just dont last.

I'm tired of the cheap quality here that keeps breaking or struggling with the keys that just dont operate smoothly.

Well they can be different, it depends where the centre of your existing door knob hole is from the closing edge of your door, so measure that.

Some locks and mechanisum have different lenghts usually because of the application or the door design.

The same measurement will apply to your dead locks position.

Bought in Thailand, I have had a ' Jack ' brand dead lock on my door now for 10 years, no problemo.

doorlock.bmp

Why bother to bring locksets from the US? A locally available mortise lock with a built-in dead bolt will probably last longer than your door panel. And the advantage is that you will not forget your keys and get yourself locked out.

post-77843-0-65239300-1318588091_thumb.j

post-77843-0-43672500-1318588106_thumb.j

A lock set / dead bolt was one of the few things for my house that my father in law insisted I would need to bring with me from the states. I certainly wouldn't trust the quality of a Thai brand lock but it seems there are plenty of imported, high quality options locally (at Bangpo and also Crystal Design Center).

If you are there and coming back here then I would go ahead and buy what you need at Home Depot for a fraction of what you would pay here, have some spare keys made, pick up one of those installation kits and you're set.

They are not universal in size but many are very close in installation dimensions in that they will fit in current holes with little to no adjustment. Then others require significant adjustment of holes but you can usually spot these if you have looked at your current setup closely for visual comparison with the ones in the store. Usually HomePro stores have a good display of various knobs and dead bolts, both imported and Thai made.

• 7 years later...
5 hours ago, RideJocky said:

The difficulty I have had is finding multiple knobs/bolts that are keyed alike.

Häfele will do a master key set with individual different keying, though you will have a bit of waiting time for it. We have 3 of these.

they can also supply key alike sets. 

IMG_8225.thumb.JPG.58c4f78951f6d150f342beb1528fa8f1.JPG

Also variations of these

image.thumb.jpg.8a9e6213020b090c278c343307506036.jpg

Or any competent locksmith can change the keying of almost any lock that you have, it isn't a difficult job specially if it's a pin tumbler lock.

I suppose its no longer politically correct to refer to keys as masters, slaves, sub masters or even to pass.

Not too long ago all hotels, new businesses, condos,carehomes and rented accom used a master system as standard, but giving them out and not having them returned became too expensive, with the likes ofChubb, Yale, Hafele etc charging the equivalent of 1000btforeach replacement.

And  so was born the key card system pretty much universally now.