Satellite Tv Instalation

gerry53

I have to tell you about my delightful encounter with a local Satellite TV company. I waited 6 days for instalation in Jomtien, my Thai girlfriend talked with the booth that sold us the service with no money down but 2000 baht upon instalation. The sales booth was in the local Tesco store and they took a photocopy of my passport as was required. They never advised me I would need a second photocopy and they didn't last time they did an instalation for me either.

The Wednesday morning they were supposed to do the instalation they did not arrive or that afternoon either. My girlfriend then had a commitment for them to arrive the next morning - they didn't show again. After 11:00 am she was told 1:30 and they arrived at 3 pm. They installed and set up the dish and reciever in about 1 hour then called their boss and handed me the phone. He wanted 2000 baht cash which I was aware of and had no problem with that. - he also wanted a copy of my passport which they had taken 6 days earlier.

He then said he would not activate the signal until I brought the passport in again for them to photocopy! I said no I will drive into their Tesco booth tomorrow (not the downtown main office on Pattaya Klang) and they can photocopy it again and foreward it to him but I wanted the signal activated now because I would then be paying for it. He said that wasn't acceptable so I told him if it wasn't "acceptable" to him his technicians could remove the equipment they spent about 2 hours including travel time and I would pay them nothing. He said he would activate the system only after I paid them brought the passport in to be photocopied again??? The 2 installers waited 15 minutes for him to phone them back with instructions which he didn't. They ended up uninstalling the dish, receiver and cables and leaving with no money and no 6 month minimum subscription for the service at 2000 baht per month.

You got to love Thai business ethics. I know the end result is I have no satellite TV but I'll be dam_ed if I will submit to their tactics and demands as a result of their own incompetence. Oh well I guess Sophon cable isn't that bad anyways and it is already included in my condo rent.

Is there any other GOOD satellite providers in the area?

Edited by gerry53

I was thinking about getting one of those packages a while ago after a friend of mine, who's a bit careful with his money, told me how fantastic his satallite system was and how it was saving him thousands of baht over the True Vision package. Mind you, whenever I asked him if he had seen this tournement or that football match he said no, so that dampenend my enthusiasm. The final straw was when his girlfriend told my wife that I shouldn't, bother because his system was forever being blocked and needing to be reset by the pirate company. As the old saying goes, "if it's too good to be true, it usually is".

Installation was probably delayed due to the rains.

They can't test the signal if it's raining.

Had the same situation myself this week.

Actually in my case when they did the instalation (after the heavy rains) they got a great digital signal according to the onscreen tests. That wasn't the issue at all - their ridiculous policies and inflexibilty were.

Installation was probably delayed due to the rains.

They can't test the signal if it's raining.

Had the same situation myself this week.

Actually in my case when they did the instalation (after the heavy rains) they got a great digital signal according to the onscreen tests. That wasn't the issue at all - their ridiculous policies and inflexibilty were.

I meant the delay in them turning up in the first place.

If their first installation was delayed due to rain then it has a knock on effect to all the installations after.

Which is what happened to me.