Free-range / Organic Eggs

Trevor

I eat my eggs raw. It's easy to find good-quality organic eggs in the West, but Thai supermarkets only seem to stock caged-hen eggs, with 'Omega 3 - Enriched' coming at the top of the price list.

I've eaten raw eggs bought from villagers' homes where a few chickens are kept for their own use, but it's hard work finding enough.

Is there any retail outlet in the cities for 'natural' eggs? Do local markets sometimes stock them? I wouldn't eat caged-hen eggs on account of the drugs and chemicals these poor hens are subjected to just to keep them alive in such a cruel environment.

Surprisingly I have seen free range eggs even at Tops super market; look carefully. Two things about this. First, anytime a Thai were to label something like "organic" or "free range" I am very cynical about how true this is versus just slapping on a marketing sticker. However I have to say the free range eggs I have purchased do have bright orange yolks (a good sign). Secondly, after the big bird flu outbreak last year, the govt vowed that all chicken farms would be the closed factory style and open air types would cease to exist so that they are not susceptible to infection from migrating birds.

EDIT: Oh, sounds like Golden Place natural market will be right up your alley. It's across the street on Silom from patpong.

Edited by The Coder

I eat my eggs raw.  It's easy to find good-quality organic eggs in the West, but Thai supermarkets only seem to stock caged-hen eggs, with 'Omega 3 - Enriched' coming at the top of the price list.

I've eaten raw eggs bought from villagers' homes where a few chickens are kept for their own use, but it's hard work finding enough.

Is there any retail outlet in the cities for 'natural' eggs?  Do local markets sometimes stock them?  I wouldn't eat caged-hen eggs on account of the drugs and chemicals these poor hens are subjected to just to keep them alive in such a cruel environment.

:o:D:D

Surprisingly I have seen free range eggs even at Tops super market; look carefully. Two things about this. First, anytime a Thai were to label something like "organic" or "free range" I am very cynical about how true this is versus just slapping on a marketing sticker. However I have to say the free range eggs I have purchased do have bright orange yolks (a good sign). Secondly, after the big bird flu outbreak last year, the govt vowed that all chicken farms would be the closed factory style and open air types would cease to exist so that they are not susceptible to infection from migrating birds.

EDIT: Oh, sounds like Golden Place natural market will be right up your alley. It's across the street on Silom from patpong.

The Golden Lay 'Organic' Eggs are a cheap Baht 42 for 10. Look good and are also fertilised -- a good sign they are out and about fraternising with roosters. Have eaten them raw with Thai honey from the corked-type bottles at Tokyu. No problems. For the squeamish, Central also has Frentz's free-range eggs air-freighted from NZ at a whopping B260 for 6.

** Rest of post edited due to language. There's a time and a place for politics. This ain't it **

Edited by cdnvic

Are there any documented cases of avian flu transmission via eating eggs or poultry, whether raw or cooked?

According to the WHO:

-- Relatively difficult to transmit from bird to human. Thousands of cases among poultry in Asia have resulted in 120 human cases, of them more than 60 led to death. It must also be noted this is a region where there is often close human contact with live poultry in backyard farms.

-- Humans would have to be in prolonged close contact with an infected bird, usually in a confined space, as the virus can be carried in faecal dust or have direct contact with surfaces contaminated by infected droppings or secretions.

How Bird Flu Is Transmitted

Whilst the virus can exist in tissue, there is no evidence properly cooked poultry or eggs can be a source of infection.

That is from your the reference you posted above. If the virus can exist in tissue there is potential for transmission if not properly cooked. The same people who we assume got the virus from close contact in many cases were the same people also eating chickens that had died.

Whilst the virus can exist in tissue, there is no evidence properly cooked poultry or eggs can be a source of infection.

That is from your the reference you posted above. If the virus can exist in tissue there is potential for transmission if not properly cooked. The same people who we assume got the virus from close contact in many cases were the same people also eating chickens that had died.

The fact is there is no evidence that anyone has died yet from eating infected poultry or eggs. The evidence suggests close contact with live poultry, over extended time, in enclosed spaces. It's a leap to suggest you can get the virus by eating poultry/eggs, but it seems to be a leap that many are happy to make.

The fact is there is no evidence that anyone has died yet from eating infected poultry or eggs. The evidence suggests close contact with live poultry, over extended time, in enclosed spaces. It's a leap to suggest you can get the virus by eating poultry/eggs, but it seems to be a leap that many are happy to make.

It is not a leap when the transmission, other than suspected from body fluid, is not known and it is the medical profession that is making the connection. In most cases it seems to be open range poultry rather than those raised in enclosed spaces (factory) setting and relatively short time periods. While I do not rule out eating chicken at this time I do make it a point to be careful.

once I got nice one at tops, but often out of stock. You could also see that there was also a male chicken arround taking care of the female.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bird flue (as long as I am not a bird), but about a Samonella infection.

I recommend a tripple wiskey before and after eating raw egg...

I eat my eggs raw.  It's easy to find good-quality organic eggs in the West, but Thai supermarkets only seem to stock caged-hen eggs, with 'Omega 3 - Enriched' coming at the top of the price list.

Is there any retail outlet in the cities for 'natural' eggs?  Do local markets sometimes stock them?  I wouldn't eat caged-hen eggs on account of the drugs and chemicals these poor hens are subjected to just to keep them alive in such a cruel environment.