Uk Settlement Visa - Minimum Requirements

There are a number of posts on this and other forums that give details of applications using comprehensive lists of documents, hundreds of photos, secure jobs and houses etc. etc.

No doubt this works, but a lot may be unnecessary.

Also very useful for a lot of people would be an idea of what is the minimum needed to be successful.

So from those whose applications have been successful, and from those whose applications have been turned down, and in particular where you have been asked for further information...

What is the minimum needed to describe a relationship? To give examples of contact? The minimum amount of previous contact?

What is the minimum length of a relationship? Of previous visits to the UK?

What is the minimum information needed about your UK bank account, and the minimum capital ?

What is the minimum job requirements or income in the UK?

And overall, what is the minimum number of documents needed as evidence?

I am sure the staff who review the application hope to see just the information that they need without having to search through reams of duplicate data.

The best guide probably comes from those who were asked for more information - but then got the visa.

So can you help?

You are correct in saying that Entry Clearance Officers do not want to wade through piles of irrelevant documents.

Each visa application is judged on it's own merits; people should use the information and advice provided on this and similar forums as a guide and adapt same to their own situation.

To answer your question, there are no minimum requirements as such. For example there is no minimum period for a length of relationship under the rules, merely that the couple have physically met.

Applicants have to show that they qualify for the visa under the immigration rules and ECOs have their own guidance to follow in judging whether a particular applicant has done so.

You don't say which category you are asking about, spouse, fiance etc., so I suggest that you read the appropriate part of the immigration rules , the settlement guidance and the guidance for applicants then ask for any specific clarification that you may need.

Just my opinion, but why would anyone prepare possibly the most important application of their lives and want to supply only the very minimum?? I agree that the embassy don't want to read a life story but I think that by only supplying the minimum makes the application more likely to be refused than by supplying too much info.

"The best guide probably comes from those who were asked for more information - but then got the visa"

You can't supply more info after the application has been submitted. The embassy staff haven't got time to be chasing around applicants that have not included enough information to satisfy the requirements. At best it may encourage an interview to establish what they are looking for, but more likely lead to a refusal.

I can only comment based on our recent experience. But we supplied over and beyond what is required, presented in an easy to find indexed folder and we got the visa no problems with no interview or phone interview. So long as the info is easily presented, personally I feel too much info is the way to go

Regards

Having struggled through the paperwork in applying for various Visas, starting with the Visitors Visa for my Thai girlfriend to marriage visa and Indefinite leave to remain, in continuance a Visa for her son to join us in the UK, the advice given by 7X7 on this forum is the soundest. I would direct anyone to him as he has a good broad base of knowledge and up to date with topics regarding various entry visas to the UK

I make this judgement by comparing his advice with my own successes, which cost me an awful lot of money, whereby, many of the answers I required to pertinent issues were answered well, and in detail by 7X7 on this forum.

In conclusion, it is about the quality of the evidence you present, not the quantity.:)

Edited by snuggzzz

The processing eco will be looking for you to supply (guide only)

• Passport applicant (copy)
  • ID Card (copy)
  • Birth certificate & that of any dependant children
  • If you are legally married ( marriage cert + translation)
  • You must also be able to demonstrate your relationship is subsisting
  • Evidence of the above - maybe phone records + financial support- photographs emails + evidence of visits
  • Sponsors passport + evidence of visits (if applicable)
  • You can maintain the applicant (6 months minimum bank statements)
  • Evidence of the sponsors employment /self employed/self sufficient status
  • You have adequate accommodation ( mortgage tenancy agreement) other
  • Other things you may wish to cover is third part support if it is of relevance to your application. And anything else you may wish to add including refusals for example.

This is the bare minimum required but a full explanation of both your circumstances & the absence of any documents you have not submitted needs covering. Also remember the visa officer is not a mind reader he/she will either submit it or refuse it on the basis of the documents supplied with the application.

Just my opinion, but why would anyone prepare possibly the most important application of their lives and want to supply only the very minimum?? I agree that the embassy don't want to read a life story but I think that by only supplying the minimum makes the application more likely to be refused than by supplying too much info.

"The best guide probably comes from those who were asked for more information - but then got the visa"

You can't supply more info after the application has been submitted. The embassy staff haven't got time to be chasing around applicants that have not included enough information to satisfy the requirements. At best it may encourage an interview to establish what they are looking for, but more likely lead to a refusal.

I can only comment based on our recent experience. But we supplied over and beyond what is required, presented in an easy to find indexed folder and we got the visa no problems with no interview or phone interview. So long as the info is easily presented, personally I feel too much info is the way to go

Regards

They do often ask for further information especially with settlement visa applications.

In conclusion, it is about the quality of the evidence you present, not the quantity.

You've hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Maybe add an index so the ECO can quickly see the relevent information.

Each application is totally unique an example of a recent case

• The sponsor had resided in Thailand with his wife for several years.
  • They required a settlement visa
  • He only had 1 months bank statements as he had travelled ahead of his family to begin work.
  • We submitted the visa application & fully explained he was a self employed taxi driver & this was the reason for a lack of documents. And his personal circumstances in the UK & they then asked for further bank statements as it had taken them around a further two months to process.
  • The visa was issued several days later after receiving these
  • With all applications you must fully explain your personal circumstances as each application is totally different