I Saw Them Repainting White Lines Down The Road

SwaziBird

I`ll answer your question, with a question.

Why do they bother to paint zebra crossings here in Thailand? All just seems like a waste of paint to me. I mean; would you step out into the traffic on one of those crossings without saying your prayers first, fully expecting that the vehicles will give way for you?

No way; and that also applies to those white lines.

So a real answers to your question is; who knows?

Edited by Beetlejuice

re .. Interested in opinions and observations.

i noticed they had started painting the red and white kerbs on the inner moat

at chiang puak gate last wednesday !

just joshin ... but its true : )

dave2

reason for edit ... i forgot to add the picture : (

post-42592-0-41768400-1318767437_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

Member kandahar, on the Chiang Rai forum, had a unique take on this question/issue a while ago.

He theorized that among Thai drivers, this is called the "Turbinator Strip".

If one positions your vehicle precisely above the white line, there is a special electomagnetic feed from the road that gives at least 2-5 extra horsepower into the transmission, which on Thai manufactured vehicles have special sensors and pickups for this energy.

:whistling:

re ... If one positions your vehicle precisely above the white line, there is a special electomagnetic feed from the road that gives at least 2-5 extra horsepower into the transmission

does this work with electric bikes as well ; )

just interested ... dave2

post-42592-0-22893600-1318773234_thumb.j

re .. Interested in opinions and observations.

i noticed they had started painting the red and white kerbs on the inner moat

at chiang puak gate last wednesday !

just joshin ... but its true : )

dave2

reason for edit ... i forgot to add the picture : (

This is to make it easier to line up the aim of the water guns :ph34r:

Why do they bother to paint zebra crossings here in Thailand?

Despite all the sarcastic replies, you have noticed that the govt has added signs asking the drivers to stop behind the crosswalks at intersections all over the city, busy intersections?

This is fairly new and shows the interest and intent is there. True, without more stringent traffic enforcement, all the replies are appropriate and accurate. But the words will probably slowly sink in and people will become more aware of the crosswalks (and lines?) and what they mean.

If they don't have lines how can you be fined for driving in the wrong lane?

You know someone who has been fined for driving in the wrong lane?

Yes, many years ago on a remote stretch between Pattaya and Rayong.

I was a passenger in the car driven by my Thai boss at that time. He moved from the left lane to the right lane (fully divided road) to pass a car, did it properly, no excessive speed. About 200 or so metres down the road he was stopped by two cops and fined for not keeping in the left lane at all times.

Bottom line, a couple of small folded bank notes under his license as it was handed to the cop, all fixed.

I was a passenger in the car driven by my Thai boss at that time. He moved from the left lane to the right lane (fully divided road) to pass a car, did it properly, no excessive speed. About 200 or so metres down the road he was stopped by two cops and fined for not keeping in the left lane at all times.

Bottom line, a couple of small folded bank notes under his license as it was handed to the cop, all fixed.

Aah, so that's where the traffic squad cars hang out......on remote stretches of road.

No wonder they are never seen, other than when certain people hit town.

Why do they bother to paint zebra crossings here in Thailand?

Despite all the sarcastic replies, you have noticed that the govt has added signs asking the drivers to stop behind the crosswalks at intersections all over the city, busy intersections?

This is fairly new and shows the interest and intent is there. True, without more stringent traffic enforcement, all the replies are appropriate and accurate. But the words will probably slowly sink in and people will become more aware of the crosswalks (and lines?) and what they mean.

The lines before the intersections(I've been told) are for to allow more motorbikes to be able to get in front of cars and to jam now 2 lanes of the traffic...exactly what we need,more motorbikes in the right(fast)lane...

But the words will probably slowly sink in and people will become more aware of the crosswalks (and lines?) and what they mean.

Maybe when they start placing cops at traffic lights and crossings.....(the dummy type that can write tickets)....it might sink in, but until then I very much doubt it.

Edited by uptheos

Same one,....same cop....he must have a great retirement fund :rolleyes:

I`ll answer your question, with a question.

Why do they bother to paint zebra crossings here in Thailand? All just seems like a waste of paint to me. I mean; would you step out into the traffic on one of those crossings without saying your prayers first, fully expecting that the vehicles will give way for you?

No way; and that also applies to those white lines.

So a real answers to your question is; who knows?

The OP and you are not looking big picture, how many people does it take to do those projects? It keeps the locals employed and at least provides the facade of a well organized, law abiding society to the outside world..

But the words will probably slowly sink in and people will become more aware of the crosswalks (and lines?) and what they mean.

Maybe when they start placing cops at traffic lights and crossings.....(the dummy type that can write tickets)....it might sink in, but until then I very much doubt it.

There's cops at many intersections in Bangkok, they still don't write tickets though :(..

One did come out of his A/C once to tell me that I had stopped 2 feet over the white line at a red light and I thought he was joking as disturbingly there were cars coming head on towards me in the wrong lane over the double yellow to make a right turn at the time with another who had just run the red light from my direction stopped in the middle of the intersection trying to avoid them and he never even batted an eyelash at those near misses and serious violations :( .

There's cops at many intersections in Bangkok, they still don't write tickets though :(..

One did come out of his A/C once to tell me that I had stopped 2 feet over the white line at a red light and I thought he was joking as disturbingly there were cars coming head on towards me in the wrong lane over the double yellow to make a right turn at the time with another who had just run the red light from my direction stopped in the middle of the intersection trying to avoid them and he never even batted an eyelash at those near misses and serious violations :( .

Maybe he was one of the dummies and his malfunctioning parts came from China. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Maybe he was one of the dummies and his malfunctioning parts came from China. wink.gif

I wish, too easily explained :( ..

I think they are great.

Drove back from Lampun..or was it Lampang last night in the dark and could see them clearly.

Admit that I got my cateracts done a couple of weeks ago in the UK so maybe sumit to do with my new felt appreciation.....

more WHITE lines please. :D

I think they are great.

Drove back from Lampun..or was it Lampang last night in the dark and could see them clearly.

Admit that I got my cateracts done a couple of weeks ago in the UK so maybe sumit to do with my new felt appreciation.....

more WHITE lines please. :D

Yeah................but YOU know why they're there! wink.gif