The Worst Apparently Over: Agriculture Minister

george

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents

The comedic musical chairs keeps right on going....

In just two weeks, we have seen public communications responsibility shift from Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit to Science Minister Plodprasob, and then to Justice Minister Pracha.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=505595&view=findpost&p=4768140

.... so we can now continue with...

and then to Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut.

What a show these guys and gals put on.

Don't the role of the Commerce Minister who was blubbing like a baby for the TV cameras and hugging a Japanese guy whose factory had just got flooded.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sorries. If you dislike the info from authorities - just go and sue them IRL. Got a balls? :)

Yes, I have balls. I didn't say I disliked the info that "the worst apparently over", it's just that given the government's reoccurring false alarms and ever-changing spokespeople, I'm hesitant to believe today's spokesman.

btw, yet another voice has spoken...

Dr Seri Suapathit, Director of the Disaster Warning Centre at Rangsit University, said Bankgok has not escaped the flood crisis yet.

2011-10-17 The Nation

Edited by Buchholz

Hmmm if this is true will all those demanding a state of emergency be declared a few days ago be pilloried for scare mongering and panicking ala Plodrasop?

So what's the real news now?

The worst apparently over: Agriculture Minister or Northern Bangkok under threat?

However:

the-saviour-is-near_400.png

Yes, I have balls. I didn't say I disliked the info that "the worst apparently over", it's just that given the government's reoccurring false alarms and ever-changing spokespeople, I'm hesitant to believe today's spokesman.

Don't worry. Soon Kh.Thaksin will come, and you'll remember this govt as a good one fix everything in this country...

Ha. Ha. :(

Politicians the world over are the same. Stick a microphone in front of them and they just cannot stop themselves from saying something.

In these disaster situations it is better for everyone to hear the same message, preferably from a single voice.

Mixed messages just create problems.

When I watch all these interviews, why does the speaker need his/her groupies standing behind them? Moral support, bodyguards/hey mom I am on tv?

Am I supposed to 'really' believe them if they have 3 people in black jackets standing behind them?

So the ag minister says it's nearly/almost/kinda possibly over. How long until a conflicting 'official statement' is released.

It's like they having a running inside joke on who can lose face the quickest.

The government said just yesterday that only official announcements by Justice Minister Police General Pracha are to be made.

Do we believe that or do we believe the Agriculture Minister?

If we don't believe the first, why believe the second?

It's only "good news" if it proves to be true... and that's something the administration has been struggling with almost as much as the flood.

Do you have any extra options? You may take it or leave it, and nothing more than just that.

All these bashings from so-called "keyboard warrors" changed NOTHING in da real life - they may believe or they may not. Someone cares?

Those ppl just need good news now. It is the last reason they still fightting with wild waters and protecting your arse, while you are sitting in your chair and fighting here.

They just need a HOPE that something is going to end. Wanna hear that all your acts will be useless, while wighting hard with something?

Why are you so invested in this minister being correct? Especially when he is not authorised to speak for the FROC or anything to do with the flood. Everything I have read says the critical time for Bangkok is October 16-18; did all the water suddenly vanish? Are you the minister's cousin?

No sorries. If you dislike the info from authorities - just go and sue them IRL. Got a balls? :)

btw, yet another voice has spoken...

Dr Seri Suapathit, Director of the Disaster Warning Centre at Rangsit University, said Bankgok has not escaped the flood crisis yet.

2011-10-17 The Nation

You need to find anything to bash the government don't you. There is nothing conflicting between what the minister stated and your above attribution. The worst is over in the sense that the tides are not as severe, the weather is not as menacing and the crest of the runoff seems to have passed. The aforementioned does not mean that the flooding crisis is over, just that the prospect of relief from more severe conditions is at hand. Yes, there is still a serious risk of more flooding if the barriers and diversions are breached or if there is an unexpected change in the weather.

Why do you have to be so negative? Each of the ministers that has offered a statement is speaking in the context of his ministry. That is what they are supposed to do. Yes, some ministers have become emotional, however that is due to their empathy with the afflicted population. Perhaps it is hard for you to grasp, but many politicians in Thailand genuinely love their country and the people.They all don't run for office for personal gain, but do so out of a desire to contribute. Hard for some cynics to believe, but true in many cases all around the world.

>Sorry if you perceive wanting to have truthful information as "bashing".

>More than hope what people need is the truth.

Where and when in Thailand ever you seen "the truth" from the authorities?

Where in the world have you seen "the truth" from those in charge?

Why are you expecting that your speech will change this here and now?

C'mon, gimme a break...

>False hope is not hope.

Wrong. Go get some education in social psychology. False hope IS the true hope unless false is discovered and understood.

And false would be discovered tomorrow....or never (in case of non-educated Thais. See the last elections).

>btw, no one is protecting my arse.

Those who is arranging sandbags now. Say thanks to them, or at least mind those anonymous farmers. Water is now on TaladThai, FYI....

>btw II, I'm not "fighting" here.

You're not helping the things too. A million of speaches will not shift a single sandbag a meter higher....but a ppl who still have a hope - they will.

alexakap, I understand your sentiments, but I cannot agree with them.

Your first point is really intended to say "if you don't like it, leave it". This is a type of false argument used often, and it is called "argument by dismissal". This type of thinking is flawed as it encourages people accept failure and poor decision making. I would suggest a better alternative "if you don't like it, talk about it often, openly and constructively".

Your second point is certainly well-taken. What you are essentially saying is that governments across the world have 'challenges' telling the truth to populaces. I think most of us would agree with that, although some governments would be worse than others. Unfortunately, however, your point is another type of false argument call "two wrongs make a right". You are saying that since other governments make similar mistakes, then we should not be concerned with those mistakes. I think you would agree that we should be concerned with them and try to discuss them constructively.

On your point about hope, I really, really do not like the concept of 'giving hope' in this way. Of course I have empathy for those affected, and of course I understand that physical labor is what is largely needed to fend off the flood waters, BUT I am of the thinking that much good can come from preventative measures. Have you heard the expressions 'measure twice, cut once' or 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'? Many people are happy to perform no good preventative measures, and when disaster strikes to just use their physical bodies to build sand bag fortresses, but many of these same people would never give importance to discussing the issues in depth and trying to move toward improving the situation. I think discussion is critically important toward improving the overall systems that are intended to protect people here. As a quick aside, more modern places like most of the "West" did not become so by simply putting only their muscles to work each time disaster struck. A driving force toward building a stronger society was undoubtedly freedoms of expression.

So, yes, discussion is very important indeed. Now, it's better if it's constructive, but we can't always be perfect.

*** list of false arguments here: http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html ***

Each of the ministers that has offered a statement is speaking in the context of his ministry.

What context of agriculture is the OP's pronouncement made?

Why has the government apparently backtracked on its earlier announcement that announcements would be coordinated through a single person, the Head of FROC, Justice Minister Pracha, in order to decrease confusion by different cabinet ministers saying conflicting things?

So now it's the agriculture minister chiming in? You's think he'd have better things to do seeeing to the needs of those who car for the 10 million rai of farmland destroyed by these floods. I hope he's right but I'm not going to feel better until the culture and sports ministers chime in.

Destroyed? They haven't been destroyed they've had a hundred year rinsing and fertilizing.. Any future crops growing there will grow like weeds..

Absolutly true!

New top soil will be added and years of chemicals will be washed away!

The current crop is destroyed and this is bad news for the farmers but all-in-all these floods will do wonders for future crops.

Farm land has NOT been destroyed...only the current crop.

Don't worry. Soon Kh.Thaksin will come, and you'll remember this govt as a good one fix everything in this country...

Ha. Ha. :(

Apparently your information is a little old! When the ship (of state) begins to flounder, which rat leaves first - the biggest one of course, the leader of the rat pack. And who just announced his withdrawal from politics? The biggest rat of all, currently resident in Dubai.

Do I trust his word? 55555555555555

So now it's the agriculture minister chiming in? You's think he'd have better things to do seeeing to the needs of those who car for the 10 million rai of farmland destroyed by these floods. I hope he's right but I'm not going to feel better until the culture and sports ministers chime in.

Destroyed? They haven't been destroyed they've had a hundred year rinsing and fertilizing.. Any future crops growing there will grow like weeds..

Absolutly true!

The current crop is destroyed and this is bad news for the farmers but all-in-all these floods will do wonders for future crops.

A technique used along the Nile as long as humans have been farming.

Only advice I will now give is I have no idea who to believe

None of them.

I'm tempted to say "paddle your own canoe" but it may sound disrespectful under the current circumstances.

And now lets sit back and watch the corruption take its toll on financial aid for flood victims... watch the PTP MPs getting very rich... and the band plays on...

That will make the farmers feel much better warpspeed.

If the worst is past then what am I know seeing on the news right now? It doesn't look over yet, not by a long chalk.

I'm not being insensitive here just realistic, it's true, once they dry out in short order the crops will grow like never before long term if the same thing can be avoided over the next few years..

I've not made any comments on the report's veracity BTW.

re, your last sentence. Sorry, that's why there was a space, I was replying to the thread title.

Re your first comment, I understand what you say and agree, but at this time with people still up to their necks in it and the farmers now facing enormous hardship for the next 12 months, perhaps without intending, your view may be a little insensitive. Its difficult for the poor to look to the future at the moment, they are focused on day to day survival.

One persons view, it's always good to try to see the up side in these disasters instead of being all gloom and doom and there is nothing insensitive about that..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Absolutly true!

A technique used along the Nile as long as humans have been farming.

Good to see there's a few positive minded, realistic thinkers here. Along with washing the chems away it will deposit a very rich organic fertilizer due to obvious reasons that don't require elaboration..

Hmmm if this is true will all those demanding a state of emergency be declared a few days ago be pilloried for scare mongering and panicking ala Plodrasop?

:bah:

Yes, the worst disaster, at least in economic terms and number of people affected, that this country has ever seen is clearly scare mongering. People who wanted the military more involved in what has caused billions of dollars in damages, displaced tens of thousands of people, and wrecked crucial hi-tech export industries were just over reacting. There were still several centimeters to go before the entire city of Bangkok was completely flooded and no reason to take action until the water is over the dikes!

Not to be doom and gloom because I also like to find the positive, but isn't it just as likely that contaminated water washed onto various areas as opposed to being washed away from various areas? Certainly, the contamination needs to be washed 'to' somewhere, and there could have been plenty of new contamination that previously was contained in, say, those big industrial sites that is now who knows where. Does anyone have a background in such farming related matters to chime in? I would be more worried for the crops as this wasn't a controlled re-soiling (if that's the technical term). It has been completely uncontrolled.

Not to be doom and gloom because I also like to find the positive, but isn't it just as likely that contaminated water washed onto various areas as opposed to being washed away from various areas? Certainly, the contamination needs to be washed 'to' somewhere, and there could have been plenty of new contamination that previously was contained in, say, those big industrial sites that is now who knows where. Does anyone have a background in such farming related matters to chime in? I would be more worried for the crops as this wasn't a controlled re-soiling (if that's the technical term). It has been completely uncontrolled.

Of course it is but the topic was/is the destroyed farm land.. There's an overwhelming amount of negatives to dwell on and very hard to find positives which makes finding them all that more important as just seeing the negative will foster more depression and hopelessness which in the end is far more damaging..

Glass half full and all that..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Of course it is but the topic was/is the destroyed farm land.. There's an overwhelming amount of negatives to dwell on and very hard to find positives which makes finding them all that more important as just seeing the negative will foster more depression and hopelessness which in the end is far more damaging..

Glass half full and all that..

Got it. Thanks.

If it's water soluble it's going to end up very, very diluted and the vast majority end up in the ocean. Something to worry about IF it happens, rather than when.

The government said just yesterday that only official announcements by Justice Minister Police General Pracha are to be made.

Do we believe that or do we believe the Agriculture Minister?

If we don't believe the first, why believe the second?

It's only "good news" if it proves to be true... and that's something the administration has been struggling with almost as much as the flood.

Do you have any extra options? You may take it or leave it, and nothing more than just that.

All these bashings from so-called "keyboard warrors" changed NOTHING in da real life - they may believe or they may not. Someone cares?

Those ppl just need good news now. It is the last reason they still fightting with wild waters and protecting your arse, while you are sitting in your chair and fighting here.

They just need a HOPE that something is going to end. Wanna hear that all your acts will be useless, while wighting hard with something?

alexakap your are so right. Hope is huge! If it wasn't for the silly giggles i get reading the bashers and know it all's I would leave this forum and before I get inundated with (see you later post), see you laterlaugh.gif

Is it too much to ask the government for timely, accurate information? It can be from anyone- Prompong, Pracha, YS (if she is up to it) as long as it is the definitive information. While we indeed might all be armchair posters here on TV and have the luxury of bashing the government on their mistakes, a lot of other people like the factory owners in Ayudhya, Hi-Tech, Navanakorn, etc. are totally reliant on critical information to plan their next moves (i.e. to strengthen their defenses for another wave or to start clean up and retrieval operations if the "worst is over"). As it stands most of the Japanese staff I know are creating situation reports being sent to Japan based on bits and pieces from this and that minister. No wonder they are complaining that they don't know who's in charge.

This will not be over for a few months yet...once the waters do subcede then the clean up operation has to start....train tracks to be replaced, roads to relaid, bridges to be repaired...not to mention the many homes that have been destroyed or damaged.

I'm staying on the other side of the main highway from Phayuha Khiri which is 35 kilometers South of Nakhon Sawan. Phayuha Khiri's town centre has been under water for over 3 weeks now...Phayuaha Khiri sits on the Chao Phraya River and while that is still in flood then the town of Phayuaha Khiri will remain underwater. Lot of people are staying in 3 schools and the local market has been moved to main street at the top end of town. They have built a footbridge system round all the roads in the town 2 metres high thus allowing the town people to get around....there are also many small boats transferring people and food and water to various parts of the town.

Yesterday I drove the 35 kilometers from Phayuha Khiri to Nakhon Sawan with a old swiss friend of mine...Has we drove down the main highway the first thing we noticed was that there was hadly any vehicles coming or going from Nakhon Sawan..the road was empty...all down the right hand side of the road as far as Nakhon Sawan and has far as the the eye could see..was water....just an ocean of water. Has we approached Nakhon Sawan's outskirts there is a morning market...this has now been taking over by the army and is been used as a carpark/motobike park....the 3 lane main highway turns into a one lane highway as many cars and lorries are parked up along the side of the road...at the market crossroads there are loads of army trucks and these are ferrying people in and out of Nakhon Sawan.

We managed to get to the bridge...and this has only one side open..the other side is just lorrie after lorrie with huge sandbags....many people are also camping out on the bridge....the 2 lanes they are using to ferry people and food across is now in very bad order pot holes every where and subsidence in the right hand side lane so this will all need to be re-surfaced sooner or later.

All you can see down both sides of the river embankments is the roofs of house's that have been swallowed up by the river....some places the water was over 2 metres deep...there where many people in boats and many people fishing with nets where streets used to be.....we went to the other side of the bridge and could have probably got to the xroads in center of town but it looked utter chaos from where we where stood so we decided against it....my friend took a few more pics and has we where stood there..there where many lorries and pickups stopping and handing out 6 pack bottles of water and bags of canned food to anyone that wanted them.....

The flood defense wall protecting the city was breached last week and until they repair it Nakhon Sawan is going to stay under water....they cannot get lorries loaded up with sandbags to the defense wall as the water level is too deep...so they are having to use boats to take sandbags to the floodwall to repair it and this is very slow work. The river is in full flood and the speed it is travelling, I don't think anything could stop it.

Has we travelled back to Phayuha Khiri...I counted the vehicles on the road that passed us....22 pickups/cars, 2 mini buses, 5 lorries, 2 oiltankers, 1 bus...and this road his the main highway from Bangkok to Chang Mai.

Just been on the news a couple of places around bangkok have to turn off all machinery and evacuate NOW..I think Rangsit was one of the places...whatever they where trying to do to stop the water has failed and they have issued an instant evacuation....

Seems to be false news, more estates (Navanakorn ) are flooding and even here the water is still rising. Think it was something to keep people happy. I would not give up on the sandbags just yet.

The Worst Apparently Over: Agriculture Minister

Apparently NOT.

This will not be over for a few months yet.. we travelled back to Phayuha Khiri...I counted the vehicles on the road that passed us....22 pickups/cars, 2 mini buses, 5 lorries, 2 oiltankers, 1 bus...and this road his the main highway from Bangkok to Chang Mai.

Just been on the news a couple of places around bangkok have to turn off all machinery and evacuate NOW..I think Rangsit was one of the places...whatever they where trying to do to stop the water has failed and they have issued an instant evacuation....

Thanks for the detailed on the ground report!:) We can read the news all day, but it doesn't really convey the sense of what is really happening to regular people that your post does.

Each of the ministers that has offered a statement is speaking in the context of his ministry.

What context of agriculture is the OP's pronouncement made?

More from the Agriculture Minister

(apparently speaking in the context of his Agriculture Ministry... as it involves the ground and water and stuff like that)

Minister for Agriculture and Cooperatives Mr. Theera Wongsamut insists the massive run off from the North has been released into the sea and that more measures are needed to be put in place when the sea level rose again at the end of this month.

According to Mr. Theera, the level of the run off arriving in Nakhon Sawan province has declined as the amounts of water being released from major dams have been lowered.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255410170003

Went out again in front of the village the water is getting deeper. The worst is probably over in the head of the minister. I am near Bang yai / Bang bua Thong.

I wish they would give good information, i realize that it cant be everywhere dry or receding at the same time. But you would expect places upstream of bkk getting less river runoff too. That is not the case here.