'Girls were systematically raped at Vienna foster home in the 70s'

News_Editor

'Girls were systematically raped at Vienna foster home in the 70s'

2011-10-16 23:26:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

VIENNA (BNO NEWS) -- A number of former foster children have made allegations that dozens of young girls at a public foster home in Vienna were systematically raped in the 1970s, an Austrian newspaper reported on Sunday.

A total of 31 former foster children have come forward who allege they were both physically and emotionally abused at Schloss Wilhelminenberg, a public foster home which is now closed. The allegations were made after the city opened an investigation into historic abuse at children's homes.

The Austrian newspaper Kurier on Sunday published an interview with two sisters, now aged 49 and 47, in which they provide some more insight about the abuse they claim happened at the house. They came to the orphanage when they were six and eight years old.

The sisters, using the pseudonyms Eva and Julia, said both male and female staff at the house were involved in the abuse. "There were several men and several women. In the room there were 20 girls. Each one had her turn," said Eva. "We never talked about it at the home because the shame was so great and the excruciating pain from what they did to us."

Eva and Julia said the abuse went on for years and involved multiple groups of young girls. "Sometimes [they raped us] on one day and then we had one or two weeks of rest," Eva told the newspaper. The women believe people from outside the house also paid to have sex with them.

The sisters gave graphic details about the alleged sexual abuse which took place in the 1970s. "I've heard my sister screaming because there was a man who dragged her by her hair and then raped her," Julia said.

Eva further told the newspaper that she once secretly visited Wilhelminenberg's infirmary because she was bleeding heavily after being raped. "The doctor started touching me there, asked what I wanted and laughed saying, 'You're not a virgin anymore,'" the sister recalled.

While the investigation into historic physical and emotional abuse at children's homes in Vienna is still ongoing, the city has already provided compensation to the 31 former foster children who have come forward. These payments range from 5,000 euros ($6,865) for less serious cases to 25,000 euros ($34,320) for continued abuse over multiple years.

Both Eva and Julia were given more than 25,000 euros ($34,320) in compensation, but it is unlikely that anyone will be prosecuted because of statute limitations. In addition, many of those allegedly responsible are likely dead by now.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-16