Flood Threat To Thai Capital Eases

webfact

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

Published: 2:03 PM GMT on October 14, 2011

'Heavy rains in Thailand during September and October have led to extreme flooding that has killed 283 people and caused that nation's most expensive natural disaster in history. On Tuesday, Thailand's finance minister put the damage from the floods at $3.9 billion. This makes the floods of 2011 the most expensive disaster in Thai history, surpassing the $1.3 billion price tag of the November 27, 1993 flood, according to the Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). Floodwaters have swamped fields and cities in 61 of Thailand's 77 provinces, affected 8.2 million people, and damaged approximately 10% of the nation's rice crop. Thailand is the world's largest exporter of rice, so the disaster may put further upward pressure on world food prices, which are already at the highest levels since the late 1970s. Some of the highest tides of the month occur this weekend in the capital of Bangkok, and the additional pressure that incoming salt water puts on the flood walls protecting the city is a major concern. A moderate monsoon flow continues over Southeast Asia, and the latest GFS model precipitation forecast foresees an additional 2 - 5 inches of rain over most of Thailand during the next three days.

Heavy rains due to an active monsoon and moisture from tropical cyclones

Rainfall in September peaked at 574.3mm (22.61") at Nong Kai in Northeastern Thailand, 501mm (19.72") at Uttardit in Northern Thailand, and 1446.7mm (56.96") in Eastern Thailand. For these regions, precipitation averaged 40 - 46% above normal in September. In the week ending Oct. 13, an additional 4 - 8" fell in Central and Thailand, where the capital of Bangkok lies. On Thursday, 38 mm (1.53") fell in Bangkok, and rainfall amounts of 1 - 3" fell over much of Central Thailand. Heavy monsoon rains are common in Thailand and Southeast Asia during La Niña events, and we currently have a weak La Niña event occurring. Ocean temperatures in the waters surrounding Thailand during September and October have been approximately 0.3°C above average, which has increased rainfall amounts by putting more water vapor into the air. The remains of Tropical Storm Haitang and Typhoon Nesat also brought heavy rains in late September. The flooding has also affected neighboring Cambodia, killing at least 183 people. Floods have also killed 18 in Vietnam and 30 in Laos this fall.'

I thought the above weather description defined the extent of the amount of rain that has fallen.

Also on this blog shows Thailand's top 10 Natural Disasters since 1900. This flooding is at the top in terms of damage caused in economic damage cost.

I see some flood mitigation experts and charmed weather statisticians come out in this topic, but can't see where they back themselves with information?

It is extremely hard to mitigate loss during a natural disaster, let alone plan for something that is seen as extreme.

The Government under the circumstances haven't done a bad job.

I just hope there is no more loss of life and the situation will improve.

That;s an imformative pos,t thanks. Since you cared to make a political comment in addition, can you please highlight for me, even one single thing this government has done right so far. Just one, thanks. I've been asking since more than a day ago but no one has responded. I'd love to hear it, so I too can cheerlead their efforts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a few hundred years my friend.... There actually was a budget USED (as well) from the last junta (administration) but still waiting the answers and results of the 50 ++ Bn baht spent on flood prevention when Mark was directly asked this question. No info forthcoming as of yet..... dead silence....

I think you overestimate your importance. Just because you didn't get the memo doesn't mean no info has been given.

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

'Heavy rains in Thailand during September and October have led to extreme flooding that has killed 283 people and caused that nation's most expensive natural disaster in history. On Tuesday, Thailand's finance minister put the damage from the floods at $3.9 billion. This makes the floods of 2011 the most expensive disaster in Thai history, surpassing the $1.3 billion price tag of the November 27, 1993 flood, according to the Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). Floodwaters have swamped fields and cities in 61 of Thailand's 77 provinces, affected 8.2 million people, and damaged approximately 10% of the nation's rice crop. Thailand is the world's largest exporter of rice, so the disaster may put further upward pressure on world food prices, which are already at the highest levels since the late 1970s. Some of the highest tides of the month occur this weekend in the capital of Bangkok, and the additional pressure that incoming salt water puts on the flood walls protecting the city is a major concern. A moderate monsoon flow continues over Southeast Asia, and the latest GFS model precipitation forecast foresees an additional 2 - 5 inches of rain over most of Thailand during the next three days.

Rainfall in September peaked at 574.3mm (22.61") at Nong Kai in Northeastern Thailand, 501mm (19.72") at Uttardit in Northern Thailand, and 1446.7mm (56.96") in Eastern Thailand. For these regions, precipitation averaged 40 - 46% above normal in September. In the week ending Oct. 13, an additional 4 - 8" fell in Central and Thailand, where the capital of Bangkok lies. On Thursday, 38 mm (1.53") fell in Bangkok, and rainfall amounts of 1 - 3" fell over much of Central Thailand. Heavy monsoon rains are common in Thailand and Southeast Asia during La Niña events, and we currently have a weak La Niña event occurring. Ocean temperatures in the waters surrounding Thailand during September and October have been approximately 0.3°C above average, which has increased rainfall amounts by putting more water vapor into the air. The remains of Tropical Storm Haitang and Typhoon Nesat also brought heavy rains in late September. The flooding has also affected neighboring Cambodia, killing at least 183 people. Floods have also killed 18 in Vietnam and 30 in Laos this fall.'

I thought the above weather description defined the extent of the amount of rain that has fallen.

Also on this blog shows Thailand's top 10 Natural Disasters since 1900. This flooding is at the top in terms of damage caused in economic damage cost.

I see some flood mitigation experts and charmed weather statisticians come out in this topic, but can't see where they back themselves with information?

It is extremely hard to mitigate loss during a natural disaster, let alone plan for something that is seen as extreme.

That;s an imformative pos,t thanks. Since you cared to make a political comment in addition, can you please highlight for me, even one single thing this government has done right so far. Just one, thanks. I've been asking since more than a day ago but no one has responded. I'd love to hear it, so I too can cheerlead their efforts.

Hard too, because I don't know how you judge?

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

Well the flood walls aren't being built by fairies and the people aren't being evacuated, housed and fed by butterflies.. Here where I am there is also obvious signs of water management and so far it's been quite effective, thank Buddha apparently, as according to you it's not the government that's been doing it..

Try a few hundred years my friend.... There actually was a budget USED (as well) from the last junta (administration) but still waiting the answers and results of the 50 ++ Bn baht spent on flood prevention when Mark was directly asked this question. No info forthcoming as of yet..... dead silence....

The last 'junta' in Thailand was from September 2006 till December 2007. K. Abhisit was not involved. Making statements which mixes 'facts' and 'fiction' doesn't really help a discussion.

Now the OP is about 'flood threat to Thai capital eases'. I'm afraid I will start to believe your propaganda on a 'junta' before I believe Bangkok's problems diminish. IMHO and all that, of course ;)

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

Well the flood walls aren't being built by fairies and the people aren't being evacuated, housed and fed by butterflies.. Here where I am there is also obvious signs of water management and so far it's been quite effective, thank Buddha apparently, as according to you it's not the government that's been doing it..

Thank God people are being rescued, but all indications thusfar indicate it has been largely an entirely civilian (volunteer) effort. The Army is beginning to make inroads into the rescue effort as best they can, but they are under the command of government inbeciles and got called in 6 weeks too late. It's heart wrenching to see people die needlessly because their government places their lives at such a low priotity.

Edited by serenitynow

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

Thank God people are being rescued, but all indications thusfar indicate it has been largely an entirely civilian (volunteer) effort. The Army is beginning to make inroads into the rescue effort as best they can, but they are under the command of government inbeciles and got called in 6 weeks too late. It's heart wrenching to see people die needlessly because their government places their lives at such a low priotity.

Certainly you can understand this admins reluctance to give the military any more power then is absolutely necessary yes? They aren't exactly good drinking buddies.. The only countries I know of that has immediate control over the process to call in the military in such circumstances is those without a democratic process and a constitution in place separating the military's powers from the government..

As a side note what source is it that has reported to you it's been largely civilian? Not that I doubt you mind, as it stands to reason the civilian population would/should not wait for help and instead should take their own lives into their hands especially since they out number military personnel by large numbers and are already on scene..

[

Certainly you can understand this admins reluctance to give the military any more power then is absolutely necessary yes? They aren't exactly good drinking buddies.. The only countries I know of that has immediate control over the process to call in the military in such circumstances is those without a democratic process and a constitution in place separating the military's powers from the government..

As a side note what source is it that has reported to you it's been largely civilian? Not that I doubt you mind, as it stands to reason the civilian population would/should not wait for help and instead should take their own lives into their hands especially since they out number military personnel by large numbers and are already on scene..

No, I don't understand it at all, unless their intent is to see as many people die as possible. I refuse to believe that despite all the evidence to the contrary. Call me deluded.

So the country floods, people lose their homes, their lives, their jobs and the country takes a big hit in its economy. But because they're 'reluctant to give the military any more power then necessary' it's all good! This was 'necessary' and the delay cost more lives and more homes.

So the country floods, people lose their homes, their lives, their jobs and the country takes a big hit in its economy. But because they're 'reluctant to give the military any more power then necessary' it's all good! This was 'necessary' and the delay cost more lives and more homes.

Yes, clearly that's what my post said :rolleyes: .. Nighty night now :whistling: ..

Yes, clearly that's what my post said :rolleyes: .. Nighty night now :whistling: ..

Not really.

I think you overestimate your importance. Just because you didn't get the memo doesn't mean no info has been given.

TAWP,

Nobody is important on here if being a foreigner. Are you sure you're not a democrat MP behind that avatar? That is the perfect mirror image of avoid-the-issue-u-turn deployed by Mark and the likes of him. A question answered with an attack. BTW - there hasn't been a true answer given by the last administration regarding the flood prevention money and I was giving a nudge to all and sundry not the way you perceived it as being my right only to this info....Rather presumptuous on your part sir/madam.

Pouring over many websites for hours, it's seen that money handouts, electrical appliance repair for free, tax cuts, re-buying of flooded vehicles, and (public donated) emergency relief appears to be where some of the money was spent but nothing for flood mitigation - yes, there was plenty of criticism regarding this as well as questions about the 2,500 baht paid out to hundreds of affected households (not the 5,000 baht as promised).... There has not been In Nov. 2010, the large flooding (a fraction of what the present flooding is), saw volunteers doing more than the government efforts for quite some time. NOTE: not allowed to use the other English language newspaper due to a slant on TV's one way biased newsgroup. An example (I believe/hope this website can be linked here...) http://reliefweb.int/node/373541

All-in-all the Yingluck admisistration has done a pretty good job in a terrible situation. She's proved her metal as Prime Minister, in my opinion.

293528_182391691841271_100002113236689_388996_668937075_n.jpg

Good to see that a politician has a human side and actually feels the pain of Thailand and it's people. Great pic showing a positive side instead of all the negatives directed.

TAWP,

Nobody is important on here if being a foreigner. Are you sure you're not a democrat MP behind that avatar? That is the perfect mirror image of avoid-the-issue-u-turn deployed by Mark and the likes of him. A question answered with an attack. BTW - there hasn't been a true answer given by the last administration regarding the flood prevention money and I was giving a nudge to all and sundry not the way you perceived it as being my right only to this info....Rather presumptuous on your part sir/madam.

Pouring over many websites for hours, it's seen that money handouts, electrical appliance repair for free, tax cuts, re-buying of flooded vehicles, and (public donated) emergency relief appears to be where some of the money was spent but nothing for flood mitigation - yes, there was plenty of criticism regarding this as well as questions about the 2,500 baht paid out to hundreds of affected households (not the 5,000 baht as promised).... There has not been In Nov. 2010, the large flooding (a fraction of what the present flooding is), saw volunteers doing more than the government efforts for quite some time. NOTE: not allowed to use the other English language newspaper due to a slant on TV's one way biased newsgroup. An example (I believe/hope this website can be linked here...) http://reliefweb.int/node/373541

In fact the Director of the National Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, Montri Chanachaiviboonwat had this to say about the flood prevention and mitigation budget;

THAILAND: Mixed results for local disaster preparedness

However, the national Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation's 2010 budget has been cut more than 25 percent on its 2009 level, and equates to just $1.25 per capita.

"This is too low for prevention and mitigation," Montri said, adding that more money and emphasis must be placed on preparing people for disasters."We need to have stronger communication between the community and the authorities."

http://reliefweb.int/node/374967

Edited by phiphidon

But the good news is that TAT says the floods haven't effected tourism and number are still on the increase :D

Good to see that a politician has a human side and actually feels the pain of Thailand and it's people. Great pic showing a positive side instead of all the negatives directed.

Actually, she's not feeling any pain. She's playing around with a microphone in her hands. There was a photo taken just before or after showing her smiling/laughing.

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

I think he means apart from the obvious things :DReminds of the Monty Python skit in the Movie life of Brian. "What have the bloody Romans ever done for us":D

Edited by chooka

Wonderground.com

By Dr. Jeff Masters

Don't worry about it warp, some people just cannot see the forest because of all those dam_n trees.

All-in-all the Yingluck admisistration has done a pretty good job in a terrible situation. She's proved her metal as Prime Minister, in my opinion.

Yep that's how I see it, Nothing wrong with that IMO much better then the alternative of someone who has no soul and has lost or drowned out their humanity.. No pun intended of course..

Yep that's how I see it, Nothing wrong with that IMO much better then the alternative of someone who has no soul and has lost or drowned out their humanity.. No pun intended of course..

There would be nothing wrong with, IF she was actually crying ... which she isn't.

There would be nothing wrong with, IF she was actually crying ... which she isn't.

Sure looks like raw emotion to me, how do you know she's not crying? Do you have another source? Do you think she staged that knowing there was a camera in her midst? To what end? But as well you're forum allies haven't shared your perspective.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Sure looks like raw emotion to me, how do you know she's not crying? Do you have another source? Do you think she staged that knowing there was camera in her midst? To what end? But as well you're forum allies haven't shared your perspective.

There was another photo taken just before or after showing her laughing and smiling, taken from exactly the same position. It was posted on here somewhere, but I can't find it. It was in a thread where the picture first surfaced.

It's not staged. It's her looking down and fiddling with something in her fingers.

edit: found it:

Edited by whybother

Sure looks like raw emotion to me, how do you know she's not crying? Do you have another source? Do you think she staged that knowing there was camera in her midst? To what end? But as well you're forum allies haven't shared your perspective.

There was another photo taken just before or after showing her laughing and smiling, taken from exactly the same position. It was posted on here somewhere, but I can't find it. It was in a thread where the picture first surfaced.

It's not staged. It's her looking down and fiddling with something in her fingers.

edit: found it:

I see she's looking at something but still her face looks more emotionally distorted then just looking down would cause.. Oh! Now I see SHE denies it, of course she does as she'd be criticized for it just as she has already especially in this culture of controlling emotion and strong male influence but no one knows for certain. I'll believe my eyes and my instincts as stress kicks in on the drop of a hat without warning even if you've just been laughing.

I know from personal experience, I've mourned and continue to mourn a very close lost loved one to a terminal illness and at times it is all I can/could do to hold back tears on a moments notice unprepared and this is not at all different.. She would be mourning this tragedy, her own helplessness, and the losses if she has any soul what so ever and my feeling is that she does and she's witnessed despair and loss on a scale few will experience in their lifetime..

Either that or she sees a real estate opportunity and can't contain herself :whistling: .. But seriously.. My opinion she's devastated and has real feelings for her country and the people..

It's also good to see / read more constructive & positive comments during an extreme hardship for ALL of Thailand. Thanks guys, keep it up and let's all help where and when we can!

I see she's looking at something but still her face looks more emotionally distorted then just looking down would cause.. Oh! Now I see SHE denies it, of course she does as she'd be criticized for it just as she has already especially in this culture of controlling emotion and strong male influence but no one knows for certain. I'll believe my eyes and my instincts as stress kicks in on the drop of a hat without warning even if you've just been laughing.

I know from personal experience, I've mourned and continue to mourn a very close lost loved one to a terminal illness and at times it is all I can/could do to hold back tears on a moments notice unprepared and this is not at all different.. She would be mourning this tragedy, her own helplessness, and the losses if she has any soul what so ever and my feeling is that she does and she's witnessed despair and loss on a scale few will experience in their lifetime..

Either that or she sees a real estate opportunity and can't contain herself :whistling: .. But seriously.. My opinion she's devastated and has real feelings for her country and the people..

You've never seen someone that needs reading glasses look at something close to them?

You've never seen someone that needs reading glasses look at something close to them?

Sure have, that's why I don't see her expression as being due to that..

My Lord, the photo was published on FB to make fun of the PM. No, she wasn't crying and I pointed that out when staff showed it to me, and I described it as someone trying to touch something to close to their chest or needing glasses - the face reminds me of something I have seen older female relatives do etc.

And then one comes here and in a pledge to avoid having any negative mud being slung on the PM for crying some people start to cheer her for it. So when it is mentioned that she wasn't crying, just a pointedly chosen picture, some users still claim she was infact crying...because they cannot for the life of them comprehend that they might be wrong.

Funny.

My Lord, the photo was published on FB to make fun of the PM. No, she wasn't crying and I pointed that out when staff showed it to me, and I described it as someone trying to touch something to close to their chest or needing glasses - the face reminds me of something I have seen older female relatives do etc.

And then one comes here and in a pledge to avoid having any negative mud being slung on the PM for crying some people start to cheer her for it. So when it is mentioned that she wasn't crying, just a pointedly chosen picture, some users still claim she was infact crying...because they cannot for the life of them comprehend that they might be wrong.

Funny.

No, she's blubbering, but that's the least of the things I hold against her.