Question On 2Nd Tourist Visa Activation, Plus A Couple Of Observations Today

I have a double-entry Tourist visa (60+30/60+30), and today receieved my first 30-day extension at the new (huge) Immigration facility in BKK. When I was leaving, the girl reminded me of the exact date my 30-day extension would be up. I mentioned I was going to go to Cambodia.

She then informed me that to activate the second 60-day entry I cannot simply do a quick border run. She said that I would have to go to the embassy in Phnom Penh. If that is the case, I wouldn't want to do an over-land trip; I'd rather fly to Penang or somewhere. Anybody have any experience on this (border run vs. embassy or consulate vs. flying) to activate the second 60-day entry?

A couple of observations: I went in just before 10 a.m. and my number was called (and I got my business done) before the lunchbreak shut-down.

When I walked out, the queue just to get into the place to get a number was very long. That means these people had to stand there all through the one-hour lunchbreak, and then wait most of the afternoon probably. So, going in late in the morning doesn't look like it would be a good idea if you want to minimise the hassel.

Also, the fact that my 60-day stamp had expired over the weekend (and I was 'late' to come in and request my 30-day extension) was not an issue (no over-stay fee). So, it looks like they have a "Monday-Okay" rule, if your stay expires over the weekend, and you go in on the Monday following the weekend. However, you don't gain anything by going in at the last moment, so it would of course be better to go earlier than later.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm glad to hear I will be able to do it in a quick day-trip, rather than a more extensive journey.

LiteBeer has it correct.

You shouldn't have a problem at the Cambodian border if your double entry visa is still valid.

But please be sure it is.

What she may have been trying to tell you is this:

When you recieved that double entry visa there were probably two dates stamped on it.

One is the date you recieved it.

The second stamped date is typically approx 90 days after you recievied the visa.

That date will say something like, "Must be used before....stamped date..."

You must use both entries on that double entry visa before that date.

If you are past that date your 2nd unused entry is voided.

The 30 day extension of stay you recieved allows you to stay in Thailand for another 30 days on your first entry.

It does not change that "must be used before" date for your second entry.

Since you are on your first entry and extension, it is concieveable that the "must be used before" date will come before your 30 day extension ends.

Then when you get to the border the immigration very correctly will not give you that second entry because your double entry visa has expired. They are simply following the immigration law.

To avoid this, and to avoid unhappiness check very carefully that "must be used before" date.

Make absolutely sure you schedule your border run for at least 1 day before the "must be used before" date.

The innigration at the Thai border has seen it all before...and they will have no sympathy for you saying "but I didn't know".

Seriuosly.

:lol:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You must use both entries on that double entry visa before that date.

If you are past that date your 2nd unused entry is voided.

The 30 day extension of stay you recieved allows you to stay in Thailand for another 30 days on your first entry.

It does not change that "must be used before" date for your second entry.

:lol:

Thanks for that clear explanation.

I have an unused 2nd visa remaining from a multiple-entry tourist visa I got in PP earlier this year. The entry before date is 90 days after the visa was issued and is now a couple of months past.

I will not be getting in again on that visa then :(

Simon

Well, IMA_FARANG, I just have to say how nice it is to receive an explanation from you so clearly-written; leaving no chance of ambiguity. It really is appreciated and is a good example of how informative this site can be sometimes and how nice it is that we have a method to asks questions and receive timely responses.

I could see how if you were new here and waited to the last day to think about visa extensions and second-entry activations, etc., it would be so easy to overlook the expiration date of the visa itself - regardless of how many entries you paid for when the original entry was obtained.

In my case, my first exentension expires on 14.11.2011.

My orignal double-entry tourist visa was issued on 11.08.2011.

The "must-be-utilised-before" date is 10.02.2012 (so they gave me six months; not 90 days). (That was nice of them, wasn't it?).

So, if I re-enter the Kingdom in the middle of November, I have plenty of cushion. (I could have gotten a triple entry.)

I wonder why the lady in Immigration told me I could not activate my second entry at the border (??). Oh well, it is all clear now.

I guess some people should realise that the date I apply for my SECOND extension has no relavence to the "must-be-utilised-before" date. That is to say, the visa could be completely void, but I still would receive my second extension because I would already be in the country legally (just have to pay the 1900 baht again).

Also, thanks for your advice: "Make absolutely sure you schedule your border run for at least 1 day before the 'must be used before' date". Well-done.