Where To Buy A Decent Electric Drill

vistana

IMO Makita (orange color) is the best. Check around the Thai owned hardware stores like the big one on the right hand side of the Pala U road about a kilometer after the turn at the bottom or the one on the left side of Phetkasem road just before you get to the area of the palace. They both sell, repair, and stand behind the warranty on power tools in my experience. Also, I believe Makro carries them and they may have the lowest prices.

Be sure to get the correct type of drill for your needs. If you want to drill holes in a cement block/plaster wall, you need an impact drill. If wood or other softer materials a normal drill will do. Also pay attention to what bits you use for what purpose. There are special bits for steel, wood, ceramics (do not use an impact drill on ceramics), etc.

One last thing is where will you use the drill. If it will always be used at home near an electrical socket then I'd get a corded drill as they are less expensive and work just as well. Also, if you only use a drill occasionally the battery pack on a cordless drill will become unrechargeable (is that a word? :whistling: ) as they are intended to be discharged and recharged often.

I bought a B&D impact drill for 900 baht at Home Pro. Works fine. Makita is better but I'm not a pro so I don't need that quality or price. Nothing wrong with Home Pro if you know what you want. Walk in, go to section, pick out drill. Pay. Leave.

I bought a B&D impact drill for 900 baht at Home Pro. Works fine. Makita is better but I'm not a pro so I don't need that quality or price. Nothing wrong with Home Pro if you know what you want. Walk in, go to section, pick out drill. Pay. Leave.

What size is the chuck? Can't belive it's larger than 13 mm for that price.

Thanks to everyone who made constructive and helpful comments and advice, especially hhf, as i am not a DIY person your informative post was very useful

We looked in Homepro and the only Black and Decker had a chuck size too small..... I need one with 13mm and larger.

They had more expensive pro type drills for 6,000 plus don't want to pay that sort of money as I will probably only use it a few times a year.

Will look at the other places people have suggested and at the other brands such as Makita as well.

Thanks again.

Vistana

I had a Black and Decker cordless drill and a Black and Decker cordless circular saw and they didn't seem to have the power of the Makita I have now (the drill and the saw would hang and I would have to back them out and start again). Plus, since I didn't use them very often I had the problem I mentioned above. After some months of disuse both battery packs went dead and would not recharge.

As far as HomePro goes, they're fine until something goes wrong. I've had problems with two expensive items I bought there while they were still under warranty and they gave us the runaround for months and ended up fixing neither. I paid to have one of the items repaired out of pocket at a Thai hardware store, and after complaining directly to the manufacturer (for a while) they (the manufacturer Samsung, not HomePro) actually replaced the other item free of charge with a newer model.

Thanks to everyone who made constructive and helpful comments and advice, especially hhf, as i am not a DIY person your informative post was very useful

We looked in Homepro and the only Black and Decker had a chuck size too small..... I need one with 13mm and larger.

They had more expensive pro type drills for 6,000 plus don't want to pay that sort of money as I will probably only use it a few times a year.

Will look at the other places people have suggested and at the other brands such as Makita as well.

Thanks again.

Vistana

Are you sure you need one with a chuck larger than 13mm ? Most common are those with a 3/8 inch or 10mm chuck but they can easily drill holes up to 15 mm or 20mm in wood or soft Thai cement bricks as long as the bit shank will fit the chuck. If drilling into steel or very hard materials then the chuck size will become the limiting factor.

Black & Decker are OK for occassional d-i-y use but for best performance choose from Bosch, AEG, Skil, Makita, DeWalt etc. avoid all unknown brands as they will be over-rated and burn out if drilling into anything harder than soft sand :annoyed:

Edited by tricolor

more or less opposite the baguette shop on petchakasem road is a very good power tool shop,they will definitely have what you require

on the right hand side , don't buy a cheap one it will only burn out and cost more in the long run

Yes, that is a good place. They repair professional power tools as well. That's one of the one's I referred to in my first post when I said on Phetkasem road just before the palace area. I have bought tools and pumps there and recommend them.

Thanks to everyone who has given good advice and places to buy a good drill, in the end we went back to MV and Home Pro this morning as we were in the area and I got a Bosch GSB 16 RE Professional which is on offer with a free carry pouch of tools - 3 screwdrivers, hammer, stanley type knife,adjustable spanner and a pair of pliers...... the drill has adjustable speed,with reverse as well and hammer action as well as a normal setting for wood/metal etc.

The power output is stated as 351 Watts

Rated torque of 2.0 Nm

Rotational speed under load (max) 1,640

Rated power input 701 watts

Chuck clamping range 1.5 mm to13 mm the drill bit I have does indeed fit this drill, so in fact as someone else already stated I did not need a chuck size larger than 13 mm.

Price 2,890.00 baht you can buy just the drill with out the additional tool pack for 300 baht less, but as I don't have many tools thought we would opt for that option.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Vistana

I ended up buying a 'Bosch' drill which is excellent. I have owned Black and Deckers before but IMHO the Bosch is better The one that I own will take a half inch drill and of course has hammer action if you want it. Makita is a good make but also expensive.

Don't, what ever you do buy one of the cheap electric drills; you get what you pay for.

The same thing also applies to drills of all kinds, pay more and they will last an awful lot longer.